Myles Kennedy: We Have Recently Had Communication About Reconvening Slash & The Conspirators; New Album

16 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

With that said. Myles lyrics are the worst. Never appealed to me. Dover & Jackson's were better 

You think so?

Jimmy Jaw took a ten story dive, about sixteen thousand feet
I watched the body go splat and they scraped him off the street

On 1/31/2017 at 4:53 AM, ludurigan said:

Yeah I think you can say that Axl's and Slash's solo tunes are more completed than Izzy's in the sense that it seems kinda obvious that they (specially Axl) put some more effort (or should i say "time"?) on them. They usually have more parts, more intricated riffs and what not. Axl also seems to always be trying to make a big statement or something with his lyrics/themes.

Izzy's songs are usually more simpler, usually have two or three parts and they all seem to be kinda effortless. Even though I am convinced that Izzy spends more time working on them than most people think. What I love about Izzys songs and what i think most of them have is dynamics. They flow, they groove, they rock. I get a good feeling listening to them.

On Slash's solo albums you have great moments, terrific riffs. But they are far apart and kinda lost inside songs that have shitty dynamics, songs that dont flow well. I think both Axl and Slash cant really do song structure very well and they cant do good transitions, dynamics, crescendos, that kind of thing.

You dont have the "push and pull" on their songs. Remember that izzy quote about steven? Izzy Stradlin on Steven Adler: "His sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. Its a bit like that, you dont have too much of that on Axl and Slash solo songs. On Izzys songs, you have much more of those sweet dynamics.

On a lot of Axl and Slash songs you get to a certain part of the song where it is rocking. Then you go "wow, this song is good". But then like 10, 20 seconds later the song takes a turn to the "wrong side" and gets really boring and mediocre. It sorta of loses the momentum it had generated before.  

I agree 100% with you when you say that you can hear in Izzy's songs the basics of the Guns songs. Yes!, its all there. And I agree like 50% when you say that "they lack the special moments". Some of Izzys songs, maybe 10-15% of them, they really have that extra quality, those special moments. Of course not GNR-level special moments. If you put them side by side with GNR 1985-1991 songs they will always look and sound inferior. Specially because Izzys (so fucking cool) vocals and Ricks (really fucking nice) solo guitar playing are not half as dramatic as Axls vocals/Slash's solos.

Yeah, like you said, I agree that Slash's guitar sound is one of these special moments. I just think that the special moments on his albums are "lost" and far between. One thing I really hate on Slashs solo albums is that the rhythm parts that he solos over are really shitty. Its usually some part of the song that had already appeared before and it usually ONE SINGLE PART that doesnt change! So Slash can do the best solo ever over it, but he is soloing over a boring part and that will never feel good.

I remember one Gilby interview where he analysed GNR songs saying that on a lot of GNR songs the "solo parts" where "new" parts and they looked like "a mini-song inside the song". You clearly have that on several GNR songs.

Sweet child o mine is a prime example.

(i dont know much about guitar so I can tell if the chords below are on the right tone etc)

verse = D C G D
Chorus = A G D

verse = D C G D
Chorus = A G D

Solo = Em C Bm Am 

Outro = Em G A C D

what you have here that is different from most of the popular music?

first, 99% percent of the rock/pop bands would do a solo part using the same chord-sequence of the verse or the same chord-sequence of the chorus or both. here, the solo part is a "new part" (like Gilby mentioned) that hadn't appeared anywhere on the song before. more important than that (because there is no sense in adding new parts just for the sake of adding new parts, check dream theather and chinese democracy to verify that), is that the new part totally fits in the song and flows perfectly, there is no interruption when the chord changes, its actually the other way aroud, the song gains momentum when that big Em kicks in! 

second, despite the fact that it is a solo played over the same chord sequence (Em C Bm Am), it feels like a two-part "solo-part", because the rhythm guys (izzy, duff and steven) change completely the pace of the playing midway the solo. The first part is they play kinda mellow and flowy, but the second part is heavier and more agreesive and groovy. I may be usin some not too precise words to describe it but you will definetely be able to notice what i am trying to say listening to the song

the "flowy part of the solo goes from 2m34s to 3m07s

in between the two parts, as a "transition", you get the oldest trick in rock/pop music which is the part that goes from 3m03s to 3m07s

is it correct to call it a "crescendo"? i have no idea.

and there you have it, the songs gains a lot of momentum and sort of explodes at 3m07  

and thats when the more agreesive part of the solo begins (on the video, this is the part when izzy starts to fly his arms on the air), it goes from 3m07s to 3m37

so what you have here?

you have a perfect rhythm part to solo over!

you add slash soloing over THAT and there you have it!

thats why we love this shit

===

I think there is one VR song that reached GNR quality which is Come on Come In. I have no idea if Slash and Duff wrote the instrumental part for that song. That song ROCKS, from beginning to end. I think its an anomaly on Slash/Duff catalogue. Maybe it was put together by Dave Kushner, who knows? I read that he pretty much wrote Get Out The Door by himself. Maybe it was Scott Weiland or his producer that wrote/arranged the song? To make matters worse they barely played that song live! Id love to know more about who wrote that song and why t was ignored by the band on live shows!

===

I am kinda sure that any Axl/Slash/Duff song will be way better than anything from their solo careers. I agree with you on that. But the problem is that its not really hard to do that. Their solo songs are mostly subpar songs with the odd exception here and there.

Any decent rock band can make better songs than Axl, Slash and Duff solo songs.

What I dont see too many bands doing is top-quality music like GNR.

Very few bands can do it

I think we will be REALLY lucky if Axl/Slash/Duff and the four aliens get to write good songs...

Sorry, but Come On Come In, is a b-list song at best. It sounds like an alt take of Set me free or something. 

Slash solo, and VR have many great songs but Come On Come In, is absolutely not one of them :P I remember when that song came out, all my friends were in stitches, because it was such a rehashed idea of a song. 

"He guys, we got the fantastic 4 soundtrack... any ideas?... er no, why don't we slop one something together that sounds like one of our other popular songs! sounds great!" That's all the info you need on the writing of Come On Come In. 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You think so?

At least Rod's is catchy and rolls of the tongue. Sometimes that is all it takes to right a catchy tune. It's rock n' roll not rocket science 

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Sorry, but Come On Come In, is a b-list song at best. It sounds like an alt take of Set me free or something. 

Slash solo, and VR have many great songs but Come On Come In, is absolutely not one of them :P I remember when that song came out, all my friends were in stitches, because it was such a rehashed idea of a song. 

"He guys, we got the fantastic 4 soundtrack... any ideas?... er no, why don't we slop one something together that sounds like one of our other popular songs! sounds great!" That's all the info you need on the writing of Come On Come In. 

Not Set me Free. More like Superhuman and Slither 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I can see that. I've always just thought of it as just an ok song. Now Set Me Free, I like that shit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Izzy doesn't need Slash. He has Rick Richards.

Does Rick do the solos on Izzy's albums. Some of them are quite big, I'm always thinking is this Izzy or Rick? 

But inside what we're talking about, basically wanting Izzy songs to be like GNR songs, then Izzy needs Slash's sound. 

But then again GNR could have gone Ju ju hounds meets Snakepit and been more like just a rock n roll band. 

But then you have to consider they got big on these huge power ballads mostly. Or metal anthems. So it's hard to say. 

Edited by wasted

On 2.2.2017 at 2:11 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Izzy doesn't need Slash. He has Rick Richards.

But for Guns tunes yes he does. Does need Slash. I like Rickrich as well. Limited compared to Slash though.

Edited by Rovim

19 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Might as well edit the thread title, cos that Gravy N' Roses train looks set to keep on rolling indefinitely by the sounds! How sweet it is too!

I for one believe Slash will go ahead and make the delayed record with SMKC after this tour. He has a whole album of material with his band and he's not gonna sit on it, and he's not gonna sit around at home too. Not until Axl makes it clear to him what his plan is in regards to releasing new music, which he might do nearing the end of the tour when the end of this whole tour is getting closer.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

I don't think any of Slash's albums are as good as AFD. 

UYI I is better than the VR albums. 

In my mind Slash is as good as Angus but he doesn't seem to make records I like as much as Johnson era DC. 

I don't hear a Thunderstruck on the solo albums. People say Annatasia but to me TWAT is Thunderstruck and Annatasia is well not that good. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 7:00 PM, wasted said:

Does Rick do the solos on Izzy's albums. Some of them are quite big, I'm always thinking is this Izzy or Rick? 

Good question. I was wondering about that myself recently. Rick does the vast majority but I was wondering if Izzy did any leads here and there. Downzy?

4 hours ago, wasted said:

I don't think any of Slash's albums are as good as AFD. 

UYI I is better than the VR albums. 

In my mind Slash is as good as Angus but he doesn't seem to make records I like as much as Johnson era DC. 

I don't hear a Thunderstruck on the solo albums. People say Annatasia but to me TWAT is Thunderstruck and Annatasia is well not that good. 

IMO, neither of the 5 have been able to reach AFD level with their solo records.

I personally enjoy Contraband more than both UYIs. If you made an album with the best songs out of each cd, then I would take it over Contraband, though.

The Slash/Angus comparison is not fair IMO. Except for the last few years (in which AC/DC released no hits), Angus always had Malcolm. Slash didn't have Izzy outside GNR.

The songs thing is again a matter of personal taste. There are several VR/Slash songs I enjoy more than the ones in CD but that doesn't mean they're better. To me, Slither and Dirty Little Thing feel closer to Thunderstruck than any song from CD but whatever... :P

32 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Good question. I was wondering about that myself recently. Rick does the vast majority but I was wondering if Izzy did any leads here and there. Downzy?

Downzy? I think you actually mean to ask @downliner, right?

I might be wrong but I believe it's always Rick playing the leads.

I liked Slash's earlier albums, and didn't mind his self-titled record, but i think every other one since then has been quite weak, especially with Myles on vocals. It's just generic rock with a boring lead singer. I would much prefer Slash dedicate his energy towards GN'R, and i'm glad the Conspirators seem to have been put on the backburner for now.

• Like 1

Having Malcolm probably explains it then. It's like if Slash and Izzy were making AFD over and over with out Axl in a way. Even on Illusions they were still combining to make ACDC level stuff. Overall I don't see Slash's post Guns career as strong as ACDC's catalog. I never could work out why. Slither and Fall to Pieces are Thunderstruck level songs, but DC have tons of them from the Johnson era.  

Edited by wasted

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

Having Malcolm probably explains it then. It's like of Slash and Izzy were making AFD over and over in a way. Even on Illusions they were still combining to make ACDC level stuff. Overall I don't see Slash's post Guns career as strong as ACDC's catalog. I never could work out why. 

I guess Slash, Izzy and Axl had that chemistry that made them come up with top notch stuff together. According to most GNR fans, they haven't been able to replicate that on their own.

Check AC/DC's list, both Angus and Malcolm are credited in pretty much every song. Apparently, they didn't work on songs on their own, they did it together and it worked amazingly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_AC/DC

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I liked Slash's earlier albums, and didn't mind his self-titled record, but i think every other one since then has been quite weak, especially with Myles on vocals. It's just generic rock with a boring lead singer. I would much prefer Slash dedicate his energy towards GN'R, and i'm glad the Conspirators seem to have been put on the backburner for now.

I don't see how songs like Anastasia Beneath The Savage Sun or Battleground are generic, there's nothing being made like it today. To me Slash always wrote the same style of music starting with AFD and never really moved away from that style so I can't see how GNR fans would complain about his music. The only legit complaint I can agree with is Myles, you either love his vocals or you hate them, and if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones who don't like them it ruins his music for you.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2017 at 8:31 PM, Rovim said:

:facepalm:

They did that song 4 times with Myles and figured out it doesn't work. He has great range and is a great singer but he isn't omnipotent god. Paradise City, Rocket Queen, Civil War, Mr. Brownstone, SCOM are all much better done by Slash's solo band than current GNR

8 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The only legit complaint I can agree with is Myles, you either love his vocals or you hate them, and if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones who don't like them it ruins his music for you.

I hate his higher register and his screaming 90% of the time, but I really like his lower voice (like the one that he uses on battleground).

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I couldn't disagree more. I love Come On Come In... 

Each to their own. There's probably somebody out there who's favourite guns song is Rhiad. Just does nothing much for me that's all, and I always thought it was just made to get the cash from the film (I'd bet that was 90% of the reason behind it being written)

50 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

I hate his higher register and his screaming 90% of the time, but I really like his lower voice (like the one that he uses on battleground).

I love his lower voice! 

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Each to their own. There's probably somebody out there who's favourite guns song is Rhiad. Just does nothing much for me that's all, and I always thought it was just made to get the cash from the film (I'd bet that was 90% of the reason behind it being written)

I think it was way more about promotion than cash.

I love the song, though.

• Like 1

WTF?! Why are people here comparing Slash's solo career to ACDC's catalog?

Only just we were debating about Axl, Slash and Duff and if they are capable of writing a Guns worthy album on their own. We know anybody of Guns is able to succeed on his own as much as they succeeded together as GNR, why should we compare Slash solo to ACDC? 

TWAT is Thunderstruck? Thunderstruck is a song known by almost everybody, rock fan or not. TWAT is like non existing compared to Thunderstruck. WTF!?