Waltzes from Vienna (1934)

Saboteur (1942)

Lifeboat (1944)

Aventure Malgache (1944, short)

Bon Voyage (1944, short)

Spellbound (1945)

Notorious (1946)

Frenzy (1972)

I have seen all these films (sans Waltzes and the shorts) many times, sufficing to say Notorious, Lifeboat and Frenzy are Hitch at his absolute best - indeed you could make an argument for Notorious being his greatest ever film and I wouldn't protest too much - Saboteur is high quality Hitch (albeit, of its time), Spellbound flawed Hitch, but it has its moments such as the gun-camera finale, and Waltzes excruciatingly awful.

PS

Oh Vertigo also. 

I will endorse the notion that Notorious is his best. 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:57 PM, wasted said:

Under the Skin. Johansson. 

Oh god it’s a fucking masterpiece. For my money, the best film of this decade.

Edited by Angelica

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Why?  Dies', you could have a go at this too.  Not that its not a brilliant film but I've heard this chucked around a lot, that its his greatest...just never found out why?

Well it would make my top five alongside Sabotage and The Wrong Man.

Why?

Expressionist camerawork; the shot when she's hungover and the camera spins around to reveal Grant; the stairs shot; the shot with the key. Cary Grant/Ingrid Bergman sizzling on screen - that elongated kiss testing the bounds of code era Hollywood. The brilliant Claude Raines, the charming Hitchcockian bad guy. His ghastly mother. Plotting Nazis.

Why wouldn't you see it as one of his greatest?

40 minutes ago, Angelica said:

I will endorse the notion that Notorious is his best. 

Oh god it’s a fucking masterpiece. For my money, the best film of this decade.

It’s sort of like a feminist Man Who Fell to Earth without the milk. 

I also like Noctural Animals but it’s a simpler movie. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well it would make my top five alongside Sabotage and The Wrong Man.

Why?

Expressionist camerawork; the shot when she's hungover and the camera spins around to reveal Grant; the stairs shot; the shot with the key. Cary Grant/Ingrid Bergman sizzling on screen - that elongated kiss testing the bounds of code era Hollywood. The brilliant Claude Raines, the charming Hitchcockian bad guy. His ghastly mother. Plotting Nazis.

Why wouldn't you see it as one of his greatest?

No particular reason, I was just interested to see why people think its among his best.  I been I've seen the official line but thats different from hearing it from people.  I have a sort of aversion to espionage type films really, I can only really stomach em when its Hitchcock, and when it is Hitchcock they are fantastic.  I wouldn't argue with it either, nor would I with Sabotage or The Wrong Man. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

No particular reason, I was just interested to see why people think its among his best.  I been I've seen the official line but thats different from hearing it from people.  I have a sort of aversion to espionage type films really, I can only really stomach em when its Hitchcock, and when it is Hitchcock they are fantastic.  I wouldn't argue with it either, nor would I with Sabotage or The Wrong Man. 

The espionage elements in Hitch's films are really MacGuffins. This actually has one of the more well developed of Hitch's MacGuffins, uranium being smuggled in wine bottles. The best MacGuffin is North by Northwest: ''state secrets''. Hitch was proud of that one. 

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The espionage elements in Hitch's films are really MacGuffins. This actually has one of the more well developed of Hitch's MacGuffins, uranium being smuggled in wine bottles. The best MacGuffin is North by Northwest: ''state secrets''. Hitch was proud of that one. 

Thats why I can tolerate it in Hitchcock films, because its just the way of like...framing what was really going on.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Nosferatu (1922)

Foreign Correspondent (1940)

PS

First two are masterpieces of Weimer Expressionism whilst third is one of Hitch's war time propaganda films, made when Britain was fighting along and the yanks were sitting on their arse, as a sort of way to get Americans to side with Britain. Joel McCrea? He's an actor who didn't do much again which is odd as he has the square jawed looks but also can handle comedy; he drifted into westerns I believe.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Post scriptum.
  • Like 1

Force of Evil (1948)

Noir on the numbers racket which I believe was an illegal lottery in America. Great film that I suspect influenced every Italio-American gangster film of the '70s onwards, your Godfathers etc. Garfield was one of those actors whose career was ruined by the ''red scare'', the McCarthy witch-hunts.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Waroftherosesposter.jpg

The War Of The Roses (1989)

This is a dark comedy starring Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner, and Danny DeVito. It is about a wealthy couple (but who came from humble means) with a seemingly perfect marriage. When their marriage begins to fall apart, material possessions become the center of an outrageous and bitter divorce battle.

Very funny and witty film. It's also a great commentary about how ugly divorces get be. Trust me, I know. :lol: It's really fucked up watching Douglas and Turner try to literally kill each other but can make you laugh at it at the same time. Recommended 7/10

Edited by Jabberwocky

50 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Waroftherosesposter.jpg

The War Of The Roses (1989)

This is a dark comedy starring Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner, and Danny DeVito. It is about a wealthy couple (but who came from humble means) with a seemingly perfect marriage. When their marriage begins to fall apart, material possessions become the center of an outrageous and bitter divorce battle.

Very funny and witty film. It's also a great commentary about how ugly divorces get be. Trust me, I know. :lol: It's really fucked up watching Douglas and Turner try to literally kill each other but can make you laugh at it at the same time. Recommended 7/10

I have this on DVD. Classic.. have seen it a million times! 👍

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Garfield was one of those actors whose career was ruined by the ''red scare'', the McCarthy witch-hunts.

As well as being one of the greatest actors ever.  People like John Garfield, Paul Muni do not get enough respect for what they did onscreen.  

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

As well as being one of the greatest actors ever.  People like John Garfield, Paul Muni do not get enough respect for what they did onscreen.  

Muni is well respected. He also had the fortune to get a few films under his belt before the codes, Scarface I believe. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Muni is well respected. He also had the fortune to get a few films under his belt before the codes, Scarface I believe. 

He's respected to a point but look for him on AFI top 50 lists, he ain't there.  He was almost like, out of place in his times in terms of like, talent levels.

Der letzte Mann, aka, The Last Laugh (1924)

Murnau's masterpiece famous for its revolutionary camera work, the ''unchained camera''. Emil Jannings, the foremost actor of sympathetic characters enduring - what we'd term - societal ageism. Pity he later ballsed his career up by filming a string of Nazi propagandist stinkers! Hitchcock visited the set of this film at the UFA studios and was inspired by Murnau's methodology.

Somewhere in Time. Jane Seymour.

Reeve plays Richard Collier, a playwright who becomes obsessed with a photograph of a young woman at the Grand Hotel. Through self-hypnosis, he travels back in time to the year 1912 to find love with actress Elise McKenna (portrayed by Seymour). However, this relationship may not last as long as the two of them think; Elise's manager, William Fawcett Robinson (portrayed by Plummer), fears that romance will derail her career and resolves to stop him.

“Only I could tell.”

Edited by wasted

17 hours ago, wasted said:

Somewhere in Time. Jane Seymour.

Reeve plays Richard Collier, a playwright who becomes obsessed with a photograph of a young woman at the Grand Hotel. Through self-hypnosis, he travels back in time to the year 1912 to find love with actress Elise McKenna (portrayed by Seymour). However, this relationship may not last as long as the two of them think; Elise's manager, William Fawcett Robinson (portrayed by Plummer), fears that romance will derail her career and resolves to stop him.

“Only I could tell.”

I LOVE that movie...beautiful soundtrack too!