GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

6 minutes ago, Frey said:

Trump-North Korea rant?

An actual rant?

My friend who was at the show says it wasn't a rant, just a mention to a Trump tweet about North Korea wishing for "cooler heads to prevail" in the middle of KOHD.

8 minutes ago, Frey said:

That's what I wonder about too.

It makes sense to keep things professional and polite with TB. But cuddling Beta and constantly commenting on their social media and fawning over the TB kids and stuff- that seems over the top and like more effort than necessary to achieve a smooth business relationship.

We all know Slash can be fake like that, lol... He hugged Beta for the camera ;) and Meegan is just sweet and polite as usual. Fawning over the kids is normal as little kids usually trigger nice feelings, hahaha....

It's all part of the circus, IMO. They had to spend a lot of time together in Europe and other countries. Now, look at them travelling separately and not a the same time, they are back to the routine of being just  co-workers.

12 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, TB manipulating Axl sounds more plausible to me than Axl being "highly intelligent" (but then again, I'm the guy who once started the "how intelligent is Axl really?" debate here because I don't believe in this whole genius Axl idea.)

And even if Axl was really intelligent, so what? Intelligent people can still be very vulnerable emotionally, easily taken advantage of, suffer from mental health issues etc., all of which can make them easy prey for the right (or rather wrong) kind of people.

Yes, I know and I followed you on it because I think the same. Plus, I have read a lot about intelligence, IQ tests and even have taken one and I really can't see what people see in Axl that would make him "Highly Intelligent", as those things are usually shown in very specific areas that none of us would have access to here.

And yeah, I agree that even if he was above average, that doesn't mean anything and it is not a shield to prevent diseases, mental diseases, failures, breakdowns and disappoinments.

15 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Today, I'm glowing from last night, he was in Top Form and to be honest he seems very confident and happy....I don't know if he is faking on stage...but God if he is faking it, he is the best fucking actor in the world (best than Brando) 

Hmm... where did I say he's faking it?

He's an artist. He's been in the business for decades. He certainly knows how to do a show and entertain thousands of people but that doesn't mean the guy isn't human- So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make or what did I say for you to say this.

We are talking different things I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, also the theory of Axl being "highly intelligent" is plain bullshit.....

15 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Genuine question: why are people questioning Axl's intelligence?  The guy is intelligent.  You can just tell by listening to him.  If nothing else, Slash has said repeatedly, that Axl is intelligent.  In fact his words were that Axl is 'super, super intelligent and a very astute individual' (that part came from the interview where he was asked to state Axl's good qualities).  Genius? Probably not, I don't know.  Who has called him a genius?  But he is a smart guy.  I don't really know how that can be in doubt?

Because people often tend to mess up street wise/common sense with high intelligence. Actually, high intelligence can be pretty crippling in daily and social life, it`s better to be average then in most cases (trust me, I`m experienced). Genius is a matter of opinion, everyone has one.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Frey said:

What was the whole Reading thing you mention again?

I always assumed that Axl felt depressed in the years after the CD release, since CD wasn't as well received as he'd hoped for and with every year that went by, he became more unhappy and more uncertain about what to do.

Which caused all the drinking and his lack of caring.

That one show (RIR 2011) where he seemed completely out of it and forgot all the lyrics and would sometimes just stare off into the distance as if he was going to cry any minute was the worst for me.

On the other hand, those are also the years Duff was back in his life and working on Axl, until he reached a point where he felt a reunion was not out of the question anymore and also suddenly started looking better again and even dared to do the whole AC/DC thing (I think the Axl in the years before wouldn't have considered such a daunting task).

So alternative wild theory (with tons of holes): Maybe Duff knew something (something different than what I described above) was wrong with Axl and decided to step in? Maybe Axl was right and the London meeting was no coincidence, but planned and arrganed by Duff? And ever since then Duff basically stuck by Axl's side and subtly worked his magic on him until we reached the point we're at now.

At Reading, Axl totally fucked up and was late and had the plug pulled on him, literally! and then ended up doing a silly protest on the stage :facepalm: Then his Twitter got "hacked" and somebody cancelled Leeds and the UK tour :lol: Reading/Leeds is a big festival here, broadcast on the radio. 

I agree, there must have been multiple reasons for his heavy drinking and him just looking more and more like he was giving up and didn't want to be out there on the stage any more. 

I hope he never has another episode like it again, 2001/2 then 2011-14 :( 

The Duff involvement has always puzzled me, he was only there for that London show in 2010 and then the opening slots in 2011, if I am remembering right? Then izzy was there in 2012 and then Duff again in 2014? Were they taking turns in "Axl watch" :lol:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alja said:

Because people often tend to mess up street wise/common sense with high intelligence. Actually, high intelligence can be pretty crippling in daily and social life, it`s better to be average then in most cases (trust me, I`m experienced). Genius is a matter of opinion, everyone has one.

Yes, that's true. Smart and intelligent are not the same thing. Also, everybody has intelligence and there's a range for it: some (most) people have average intelligence, others (very few) are below the average and others (very few) are above the average. I don't agree though that genius is a matter of opinion. I mean, there are measurement scales and it is considered that IQ's over 160 are genius. You can believe in those tests or not, but that's all we have to measure intelligence by now. All in all, most of them are estimative numbers.

Most IQ tests measure cognitive abilites, reasoning, memory and visual spatial processes among other intellectual skills.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alja said:

Well, yes, there are different types and degrees of intelligence.  We can't possibly know the precise nature or degree of Axl's intelligence, and I wouldn't even pretend to, but it's fairly obvious to me that he's not a dumb shit.  I thought that's what people were implying.  Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.  But thanks for answering my question! ^^

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, that's true. Smart and intelligent are not the same thing. Also, everybody has intelligence and there's a range for it: some (most) people have average intelligence, others (very few) are below the average and others (very few) are above the average. I don't agree though that genius is a matter of opinion. I mean, there are measurement scales and it is considered that IQ's over 160 are genius. You can believe in those tests or not, but that's all we have to measure intelligence by now. All in all, most of them are estimative numbers.

Most IQ tests measure cognitive abilites, reasoning, memory and visual spatial processes among other intellectual skills.

I`d argue about "genius" as someone, who can pick that certain something from... universe? and make it visible /audible/... for others. One thing is science genius and another is art genius. There`s no way you can measure art genius. 

Edited by Alja

40 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, I know and I followed you on it because I think the same. Plus, I have read a lot about intelligence, IQ tests and even have taken one and I really can't see what people see in Axl that would make him "Highly Intelligent", as those things are usually shown in very specific areas that none of us would have access to here.

And yeah, I agree that even if he was above average, that doesn't mean anything and it is not a shield to prevent diseases, mental diseases, failures, breakdowns and disappoinments.

47 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Genuine question: why are people questioning Axl's intelligence?  The guy is intelligent.  You can just tell by listening to him.  If nothing else, Slash has said repeatedly, that Axl is intelligent.  In fact his words were that Axl is 'super, super intelligent and a very astute individual' (that part came from the interview where he was asked to state Axl's good qualities).  Genius? Probably not, I don't know.  Who has called him a genius?  But he is a smart guy.  I don't really know how that can be in doubt?

Because I've never seen any evidence of Axl being particularly intelligent, similar to what @killuridols said. I'm not denying that Axl is musically gifted and he also seemed to have been a moderatly gifted child academically speaking, but the latter isn't really anything exceptional. Tons of people manage to fly through school with minimum effort (myself included). He also is a very introspective guy and know lots of random stuff, so that probably strikes some people as intelligent as well when he's talking, but all in all... I'm not seeing it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Axl is stupid, but I do feel people tend to exaggerate his supposed intelligence a lot. Maybe he also just appears intelligent to people because of who his peers are and the environment people associate him with- 80s hair metal mouth breathers. It's not hard to appear intelligent next to the likes of Vince Neil, Brett Michaels, James Hetfield, Steven Adler, drunk off their asses Sluff, etc.

But please, let's not get into this again. The entire debate is linked to in the thread index anyway, if you really want to read up on it.

40 minutes ago, killuridols said:

We all know Slash can be fake like that, lol... He hugged Beta for the camera ;) and Meegan is just sweet and polite as usual. Fawning over the kids is normal as little kids usually trigger nice feelings, hahaha....

It's all part of the circus, IMO. They had to spend a lot of time together in Europe and other countries. Now, look at them travelling separately and not a the same time, they are back to the routine of being just  co-workers.

I know Slash can be one fake snake if it suits him, but still... all this stuff is pretty lol to me. We'll have to wait and see I guess how this whole thing turns out. Slash better write another book.

18 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

At Reading, Axl totally fucked up and was late and had the plug pulled on him, literally! and then ended up doing a silly protest on the stage :facepalm: Then his Twitter got "hacked" and somebody cancelled Leeds and the UK tour :lol: Reading/Leeds is a big festival here, broadcast on the radio. 

I agree, there must have been multiple reasons for his heavy drinking and him just looking more and more like he was giving up and didn't want to be out there on the stage any more. 

I hope he never has another episode like it again, 2001/2 then 2011-14 :( 

The Duff involvement has always puzzled me, he was only there for that London show in 2010 and then the opening slots in 2011, if I am remembering right? Then izzy was there in 2012 and then Duff again in 2014? Were they taking turns in "Axl watch" :lol:

Oh okay, thanks for the reminder. I was vaguely aware of this, but had forgotten the details. I also still remember when Axl's twitter got "hacked". Didn't that happen more than once even? And then TB claimed it was hacked, while everyone else thought Axl had just had some kind of breakdown again and TB was doing damage control.

Yeah, these years in particular are very puzzling. Though Axl's entire life since 1994 is one big mystery imo. All the constant cycles of disappearing for years, then reappearing again for some time (either in a good or worrying constitution), then disappearing again... I really want him to write a book and explain wha the hell has been going on with him these past decades.

And taking turns in "Axl watch"? :lol: Well who knows. Stranger things have happened in GNR land. Maybe you're onto something. Because even when they weren't around themselves, they still seemed to keep tabs on him. Didn't Duff say that he and Axl started communicating via Whatsapp a lot (knock knock jokes, iirc :lol:)? It's possible Duff was in constant contact with Axl that way through these years. Izzy was still trying to talk sense into Axl in 2012 (the RRHOF thing), who knows what happened since then, but Axl seems pretty happy when talking about Izzy at the moment, so I assume things can't be too bad between them.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alja said:

I`d argue about "genius" as someone, who can pick that certain something from... universe? and make it visible /audible/... for others. One thing is science genius and another is art genius. There`s no way you can measure art genius. 

The bolded: I don't understand what you mean by that.

The rest, nope. The brain is one and there are zones there that can lean towards more mathematical, logical or lean towards language and creativity. Any brain can be tested and you will get results for all of them, no matter if they are artists or scientists.

Artists are not people that came down from heaven and have extra ordinary powers. Now that's bullshit.

2 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

I was reading the great review posted in the Miami Thread from the Miami New Times, this part:

His lower register is heavenly awesome live....sigh...

It sure is! I can not wait to hear BHS at my San Antonio show....omg, it can't come soon enough! :)

10 minutes ago, Frey said:

Because I've never seen any evidence of Axl being particularly intelligent, similar to what @killuridols said. I'm not denying that Axl is musically gifted and he also seemed to have been a moderatly gifted child academically speaking, but the latter isn't really anything exceptional. Tons of people manage to fly through school with minimum effort (myself included). He also is a very introspective guy and know lots of random stuff, so that probably strikes some people as intelligent as well when he's talking, but all in all... I'm not seeing it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Axl is stupid, but I do feel people tend to exaggerate his supposed intelligence a lot. Maybe he also just appears intelligent to people because of who his peers are and the environment people associate him with- 80s hair metal mouth breathers. It's not hard to appear intelligent next to the likes of Vince Neil, Brett Michaels, James Hetfield, Steven Adler, drunk off their asses Sluff, etc.

But please, let's not get into this again. The entire debate is linked to in the thread index anyway, if you really want to read up on it.

"It's not hard to appear intelligent next to the likes of Vince Neil, Brett Michaels, James Hetfield, Steven Adler, drunk off their asses Sluff, etc." :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Yes, that's exactly what I think too..... He appears normal to me, an average intelligent guy. The random shit he knows is probably because he likes reading random stuff and he also has a different income of experiences than the regular person- He's always meeting people, travelling to places, partying and talking to all kinds of human beings. As he would say "experience makes you wise".... and appear above average intelligence, lol

21 minutes ago, Frey said:

Oh okay, thanks for the reminder. I was vaguely aware of this, but had forgotten the details. I also still remember when Axl's twitter got "hacked". Didn't that happen more than once even? And then TB claimed it was hacked, while everyone else thought Axl had just had some kind of breakdown again and TB was doing damage control.

This is from my very own vault :ph34r:

• Like 2

Just now, killuridols said:

The bolded: I don't understand what you mean by that.

The rest, nope. The brain is one and there are zones there that can lean towards more mathematical, logical or lean towards language and creativity. Any brain can be tested and you will get results for all of them, no matter if they are artists or scientists.

Artists are not people that came down from heaven and have extra ordinary powers. Now that's bullshit.

Get the fact that brain is mostly unexplained, areas previously thought are not as bordered or exactly situated as they seemed to be and that it`s mostly about connection. Each and every test has it`s limitation and science is always questioning itself and its outlook`s changing. 

I don`t say artists came from heaven, but some people have abilities to point out what`s the matter inside and outside them. Gifted, you`d say. The way it touches your soul is their power and it`s called art.  

Genius (from Dictionary.com) noun, plural geniuses for 2, 3, 8, genii  [jee-nee-ahy] (Show IPA), for 6, 7, 9, 10.

1. an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown increative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart. Synonyms: intelligence, ingenuity, wit; brains.

2. a person having such capacity.

3. a person having an extraordinarily high intelligence rating on a psychological test, as an IQ above 140. Synonyms: mental giant, master, expert; whiz, brain, brainiac. Antonyms: idiot, imbecile, half-wit, dope, moron; fool, simpleton, dunce, dullard, dolt; numskull, blockhead, nitwit, ninny.

4. natural ability or capacity; strong inclination: a special genius for leadership. Synonyms: gift, talent, aptitude, faculty, endowment, predilection; penchant, knack, bent, flair, wizardry.

5. distinctive character or spirit, as of a nation, period, or language. 

6. the guardian spirit of a place, institution, etc.

7. either of two mutually opposed spirits, one good and the other evil,supposed to attend a person throughout life.

55 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Now, look at them travelling separately and not a the same time, they are back to the routine of being just  co-workers.

How do we know they travel seperately? Except for the fact that the last time Slash was going somewhere else on his way, so it was pretty obvious he would go seperately. Also that doesn't necesairily mean anything. I often like to travel seperately even from the people I'm really close with because I hate that adjusting, waiting for someone and all other shit associated with that that always stresses me out far more than if I travel alone :P If I have a choice, I prefer to meet people at the place of destination :P 

18 minutes ago, Frey said:

Because I've never seen any evidence of Axl being particularly intelligent, similar to what @killuridols said.

Well, to me the evidence of him being intelligent are most of his lyrics. Stupid people can't write good, smart lyrics and he's written plenty of those (although some stupid as well). I think Axl is intelligent but uneducated and his lack of education caused him to fall for many fraudulent people and make many mistakes he probably wouldn't have made had he been more knowlegable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alja said:

Get the fact that brain is mostly unexplained, areas previously thought are not as bordered or exactly situated as they seemed to be and that it`s mostly about connection. 

I think neuroscientists have figured out what different areas of the brain do so the brain is not 'mostly unexplained'. For example, the frontal lobes of the brain is where your higher mental skills reside as where your personality is and how your behavior is regulated.

And the connection you're speaking of has to do with the brain's neural networks and how it's wired, which actually can be altered to form new connections (neuroplasticity).

@killuridols Those IQ tests are pretty boring. I had to do them quite a few years ago and they measured my verbal intelligence, visual intelligence and processing intelligence. Also if a person's IQ is on the lower end of things, it's highly likely there is some sort of learning disability or mental impairment that's causing it.

14 minutes ago, killuridols said:

"It's not hard to appear intelligent next to the likes of Vince Neil, Brett Michaels, James Hetfield, Steven Adler, drunk off their asses Sluff, etc." :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Yes, that's exactly what I think too..... He appears normal to me, an average intelligent guy. The random shit he knows is probably because he likes reading random stuff and he also has a different income of experiences than the regular person- He's always meeting people, travelling to places, partying and talking to all kinds of human beings. As he would say "experience makes you wise".... and appear above average intelligence, lol

This is from my very own vault :ph34r:

Yes, I agree.

And thanks for the videos, never seen these before.

9 minutes ago, Asia said:

How do we know they travel seperately? Except for the fact that the last time Slash was going somewhere else on his way, so it was pretty obvious he would go seperately. Also that doesn't necesairily mean anything. I often like to travel seperately even from the people I'm really close with because I hate that adjusting, waiting for someone and all other shit associated with that that always stresses me out far more than if I travel alone :P If I have a choice, I prefer to meet people at the place of destination :P 

Well, to me the evidence of him being intelligent are most of his lyrics. Stupid people can't write good, smart lyrics and he's written plenty of those (although some stupid as well). I think Axl is intelligent but uneducated and his lack of education caused him to fall for many fraudulent people and make many mistakes he probably wouldn't have made had he been more knowlegable.

Well like I said, I don't think he's stupid, just that people tend to exaggerate his intelligence a lot. In addition to uneducated, I'd also add naive (at least back in the day) and with no familial support system. Kids learn a lot from the families they grow up in, and if that family is not particularly great, a kid is at a disatvantage right from the start and also later on in life when other people can rely on parents for advice and guidance, while people like Axl are on their own easily fall victim to all kinds of dumb shit.

• Like 1

Just now, Frey said:

Yes, I agree.

And thanks for the videos, never seen these before.

Well like I said, I don't think he's stupid, just that people tend to exaggerate his intelligence a lot. In addition to uneducated, I'd also add naive (at least back in the day) and with no familial support system. Kids learn a lot from the families they grow up in, and if that family is not particularly great, a kid is at a disatvantage right from the start and also later on in life when other people can rely on parents for advice and guidance, while people like Axl are on their own easily fall victim to all kinds of dumb shit.

Yeah, but intelligence is the capacity to learn not the knowledge you've accumulated which is why Axl can be very intelligent and still lacking knowledge and naive.

5 minutes ago, Alja said:

Get the fact that brain is mostly unexplained, areas previously thought are not as bordered or exactly situated as they seemed to be and that it`s mostly about connection. Each and every test has it`s limitation and science is always questioning itself and its outlook`s changing. 

I don`t say artists came from heaven, but some people have abilities to point out what`s the matter inside and outside them. Gifted, you`d say. The way it touches your soul is their power and it`s called art.

Yes and that's why I said the IQ tests are just statistical and an estimate of someone's intelligence and there are many of them out there. Some are more reliable than others but they are being used for certain purposes, probably just to put people into boxes or something.

Having an ability to express yourself within art is not an indication that someone is gifted or a genius. We would be surrounded by geniuses, then? No way.... There are people who study, read a lot, have been doing something for years and that's how they get to master an ability.

Axl did not always sang with that great voice. Listen to him on Rapidfire then listen to him on UYI. It is evident he made a lot of progress and this is because he dedicated all of his time to get there.

There's this thing some people do, like thinking others are gifted because it seems to them that these artists do things effortlessly and they dont have the slightest clue of how long it took someone to master their skills. Even people who are not born with an specific ability can develope or turn into a master of their ability after they have studied and practiced for years.

Also, not all art "touches" everybody in the same way. I'm sure lots of you don't give a shit about the lyrics of music of .... Britney Spears..... :lol: but Im sure there are many other people who's been "touched" or moved by her in their own way. I know others who look at a Picasso and go like "wtf is this crap??" and they will never see what's so incredible about Picasso..... I think its only fair....... :shrugs: I'm not denying that many artists have the ability to reach masses and so did Guns N' Roses and Queen and The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, etc..... but also remember they are all bands, not an individual person. Guns N' Roses music that reached to the masses was made by 5 guys, not one.

19 minutes ago, Asia said:

I dont know why you put yourself as an example of anything :question: You are not an artist in a band...

Anyway, now they are in the US they seem to be going by bus. The huge private plane is gone. Don't you wonder why? European countries are the same size of some states in the United States so I don't see why they couldn't keep using that plane. After all, they all STILL  have to be at the same place, same time. However, now they seem to be doing their own thing. Not just Slash.

14 minutes ago, purplestargirl said:

Those IQ tests are pretty boring. I had to do them quite a few years ago and they measured my verbal intelligence, visual intelligence and processing intelligence. Also if a person's IQ is on the lower end of things, it's highly likely there is some sort of learning disability or mental impairment that's causing it.

I took my first one when applying to College. I don't know if they are boring, I found them entertaining but I have a thing for looking for patterns, remembering dumb shit and fitting forms :ph34r:

Ever since I was a kid I did all of that by myself. My mother would stimulate me with all kinds of games and magazines. And now that I'm an old hag, I'm still obsessed with patterns, colors, designs, forms, shapes. Like they would say in corporations "pretty prone to detail attention".

Just now, purplestargirl said:

I think neuroscientists have figured out what different areas of the brain do so the brain is not 'mostly unexplained'. For example, the frontal lobes of the brain is where your higher mental skills reside as where your personality is and how your behavior is regulated.

And the connection you're speaking of has to do with the brain's neural networks and how it's wired, which actually can be altered to form new connections (neuroplasticity).

@killuridols Those IQ tests are pretty boring. I had to do them quite a few years ago and they measured my verbal intelligence, visual intelligence and processing intelligence. Also if a person's IQ is on the lower end of things, it's highly likely there is some sort of learning disability or mental impairment that's causing it.

It`s a posthumous child of phrenology, pseudo-science from 19th century, where personal traits were guessed by protrusions on skull. We just moved to brain cortex, but it does not work as it was proposed. There are rare examples of people with little localized damage causing specific impairment, but actually, in most people the damage is diffuse. For example frontal lobe damage can be "imitated" by sole cerebellar damage or sole damage in thalamus (that`s the place cocaine stroke makes damage, fyi). Brain can rewire its connections and regain back some abilities even after major damage. Even healthy brain is plastic, of course, and it can be trained. Function of other brain cells than neurons is also not fully explained, even they are supposed have major effect on neurons function.

There are easy problems of consciousness, which are nice explained by current neuroscience - like which neurons activate when you feel something or how does decision making work, etc., but we still have vague clue how our self (the observer) and qualia (fundamental experience) work. (I am doing PhD. in neurosciences about brain damage and borderline states of consciousness, that makes me...ehm... skeptic about abilities of neuroscience. Brain itself cannot be explained, because system cannot explain another system with same or higher complexity). 

Not going to get too deep into this, but I will say I think that I.Q. tests are a crock of shit. Honestly I think if anyone has a good amount of common sense, that will take you as far as you want to go. You don't have to be a card carrying member of mensa to prove you're worth your salt. (I know no one has stated such this is just my opinion)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@killuridols I can't believe they tried to say Axl was hacked on twitter, nobody believed it and then came along the video evidence of him saying he wasn't going to Leeds :lol:

Omg, I totally remember being so upset thinking that the UK tour was going to get cancelled :unsure:

:lol:

That excuse was widely used by celebrities and regular people around that time with Twitter. Until it became old and couldn't be used anymore :rofl-lol:

I'm sorry about that. We never had a GN'R tour or show cancelled here but I can imagine what would have happened if it did :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

Not going to get too deep into this, but I will say I think that I.Q. tests are a crock of shit. Honestly I think if anyone has a good amount of common sense, that will take you as far as you want to go. You don't have to be a card carrying member of mensa to prove you're worth your salt. (I know no one has stated such this is just my opinion)

IQ tests are not meant to test common sense.

Also, most people do not take them voluntarily to boast about anything. They usually are asked by organizations you want to be part of. Can be the university or a company. Or it can be asked by a psychiatrist because they suspect of something different in your behavior or cognitive abilities.

There's no reason to hate them or talk like that about them.

9 minutes ago, purplestargirl said:

IQ tests are a measure of how you function in daily life. At least that was explained to me when I asked about them. If anyone else can explain that better, please feel free to correct me/elaborate on that.

IQ tests measure your mental agility. They are mostly used to diagnose learning disabilities and to predict how someone will perform in a determined task.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alja said:

It`s a posthumous child of phrenology, pseudo-science from 19th century, where personal traits were guessed by protrusions on skull. We just moved to brain cortex, but it does not work as it was proposed. There are rare examples of people with little localized damage causing specific impairment, but actually, in most people the damage is diffuse. For example frontal lobe damage can be "imitated" by sole cerebellar damage or sole damage in thalamus (that`s the place cocaine stroke makes damage, fyi). Brain can rewire its connections and regain back some abilities even after major damage. Even healthy brain is plastic, of course, and it can be trained. Function of other brain cells than neurons is also not fully explained, even they are supposed have major effect on neurons function.

There are easy problems of consciousness, which are nice explained by current neuroscience - like which neurons activate when you feel something or how does decision making work, etc., but we still have vague clue how our self (the observer) and qualia (fundamental experience) work. (I am doing PhD. in neurosciences about brain damage and borderline states of consciousness, that makes me...ehm... skeptic about abilities of neuroscience. Brain itself cannot be explained, because system cannot explain another system with same or higher complexity). 

What I bolded is what I'm fully aware of. Neuroplasticity is why the brain can be rewired. :) 

My psychologist employs a therapy which actually has a role in rewiring the brain's neural connections to form new ones through conditioning. I've been doing it for over a year and my anxiety and depression has nearly disappeared and my executive functions are working like they should (I have visual working memory issues). I've learned quite a bit about the various brain regions as a result of this therapy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocketqueen76 said:

IQ tests are a measure of how you function in daily life. At least that was explained to me when I asked about them. If anyone else can explain that better, please feel free to correct me/elaborate on that.