GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

23 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't want such a thing. He seems to want it when is willing to take the back seat with AC/DC.

Sorry I don't understand. Axl/DC simple album will be amazing. But a GN'R simple album would be boring?

I said AC/DC make really simple albums, imo they do, even with Bon Scott I get  bored really quick listening to them. I still like them though and I think an album with Axl would be good. 

I would be disappointed if GnR released an album like that. I like that they have all different styles influencing them which is why I don't think it'd be a good idea to keep Axl away from being involved with the majority of the songwriting process. I have the same feeling about an album without Izzy btw. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I said AC/DC make really simple albums, imo they do, even with Bon Scott I get  bored really quick listening to them. I still like them though and I think an album with Axl would be good. 

I would be disappointed if GnR released an album like that. I like that they have all different styles influencing them which is why I don't think it'd be a good idea to keep Axl away from being involved majority of the songwriting process. I have the same feeling about an album without Izzy btw. 

Lies is a simple album. I really like that album except for OIAM. AFD is more hard rock oriented, amazing album. But a simple one compare to UYI. Simplicity doesn't necessarilly mean boredom

7 minutes ago, Padme said:

Lies is a simple album. I really like that album except for OIAM. AFD is more hard rock oriented, amazing album. But a simple one compare to UYI. Simplicity doesn't necessarilly mean boredom

Musically OIAM is great...is a pity about those lyrics..:facepalm:

AFD is hard rock album but there is Rocket Queen and there is Rock or Bust (the song) for example....

AC/DC is about Rock! Train! Thunder! things like that...is Rock for headbang!:headbang: and cherish those Young's riffs...GNR is different...in my opinion AFD is like Disco-Metal, you can dance and headbang at the same time and feel pity for Michelle, because the story was there

• GNFNR 1

32 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I would be disappointed if GnR released an album like that. I like that they have all different styles influencing them which is why I don't think it'd be a good idea to keep Axl away from being involved with the majority of the songwriting process. I have the same feeling about an album without Izzy btw. 

We don't know where Axl's head is at in 2018...... if he still harbors "CD ideas" then I don't know if we're gonna get a great album but just another bunch of layers over layers and long boring solos.

IMO, Axl should go back to the roots of making classic rock and singing classic rock because that's what he's good at and that's why he sang the AC/DC songs like he owed them. But if he insists in making NIN type of albums or songs.... ugh, now THAT'S boring, because he's no Trent Reznor and he will never be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Padme said:

And I really like those albums too, but I don't think they're so simplistic. I think the songwriting on Patience is amazing and I wouldn't call it simple and songs like Rocket Queen I don't think are just simple hard rock tunes. 

Im not talking about wanting anything like CD. But I do think even when GnR made more hard rock orientated songs or acoustic ones that Axl was a big part in that songwriting process as well as Duff, Slash and Izzy. Taking him away from it would change the sound, so I'd like for him to be involved. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Im not talking about wanting anything like CD. But I do think even when GnR made more hard rock orientated songs or acoustic ones that Axl was a big part in that songwriting process as well as Duff, Slash and Izzy. Taking him away from it would change the sound, so I'd like for him to be involved. 

Don't worry because that will never happen. Not at least in a band called Guns N' Roses.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

We don't know where Axl's head is at in 2018...... if he still harbors "CD ideas" then I don't know if we're gonna get a great album but just another bunch of layers over layers and long boring solos.

IMO, Axl should go back to the roots of making classic rock and singing classic rock because that's what he's good at and that's why he sang the AC/DC songs like he owed them. But if he insists in making NIN type of albums or songs.... ugh, now THAT'S boring, because he's no Trent Reznor and he will never be.

I agree. I'm not saying that I'd want the whole thing in his vision either, like when I said I have the same feeling about cutting Izzy out of the songwriting process of GnR. 

Just if you had Izzy, Slash and Duff I would prefer Axl to be as involved as them. 

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

Don't worry because that will never happen. Not at least in a band called Guns N' Roses.

Well that's ok then :) 

3 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I agree. I'm not saying that I'd want the whole thing in his vision either, like when I said I have the same feeling about cutting Izzy out of the songwriting process of GnR. 

Just if you had Izzy, Slash and Duff I would prefer Axl to be as involved as them. 

Izzy will not return. So the most plausible scenario is that you will still get your Axl writing his epics and weirdos and the rest trying to make it sound like hard-rock or something in the middle.

I'm also sure we're gonna get a new "My World", with the help and participation of Smurfette :facepalm:

Edited by killuridols

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

I'm also sure we're gonna get a new "My World", with the help and participation of Smurfette

I was in ninth grade when The Illusions were released...I was in a Catholic Institute and my friend and I put My World at top volume in front of the Nuns house.....remember some parts of that are like exorcism or something...imagine the nuns......my mom punish me and took away my cassettes for a month...that was a good punishment....

I hate that school....

Edited by Georgina Arriaga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Of course Axl has to be involved. But if I compare CD with Contraband. Clearly Slash and Duff can do a good job without Axl. However Axl stuggled without them. 

Besides Contraband we can add Izzy's albums, Slash albums with the different people he has worked with. And even Adler's Appetite albums have some good moments. They were all capable to come up with good products without Axl

30 minutes ago, Padme said:

Of course Axl has to be involved. But if I compare CD with Contraband. Clearly Slash and Duff can do a good job without Axl. However Axl stuggled without them. 

Besides Contraband we can add Izzy's albums, Slash albums with the different people he has worked with. And even Adler's Appetite albums have some good moments. They were all capable to come up with good products without Axl

I'm aware of all of that, I love VR and a lot of Slash's work and some of Duffs and a lot of Izzys.....didn't get on with CD very well.

It doesn't change my feeling that if a GnR album was being worked on with Slash and Duff then it would be better if Axl had more to do with it than just vocals and a few lyrics here and there. 

Just to add a different viewpoint here:

To me, CD is not a wanna-be be NIN album.  The final version has very little industrial influence left on it and certainly nothing that resembles NIN.  If anything, CD is rather commercial and tame - which is part of the 'problem' (I use that word loosely as it's not a problem for me) in that Axl compromised too much trying to please everyone, instead of standing his ground and making the experimental album he hinted at wanting to make early on.

Also, to me, and many others, CD does not consist of boring layers and solos.  Of the layers, there are indeed many, but they are incredibly intricate on some songs, which if you're a fan of that kind of busy sound, is very interesting.  I happen to be a fan of orchestral rock so it's natural I'd 'get' CD.  And some of the solos are incredible.  Buckethead's solo on TWAT is anything but boring - to those of us who like that sort of thing.

And can I just say that Axl never wanted to be Trent Reznor.  He simply liked the genre and admired Trent the way he liked and admired many different genres and artists.

In my opinion, Axl did not struggle without the others.  To my ears, CD is the better album of them all along with the latest Walking Papers album.  Slash only produced interesting music when he collaborated with certain artists like Chris Cornell and Andrew Stockdale.  Duff has, I am thrilled to say, FINALLY produced kick-ass music with WP2. :headbang:

But look, I'm just putting forward a different viewpoint here.  I'm not trying to say that anyone else's opinion isn't valid.  It's all entirely subjective.  I understand that CD isn't everyone's cup of tea.  But I always feel compelled to defend it.:lol:

• Like 4

Jebus.... I just finished listened to the Appetite For Shirazi Podcast!

tenor.gif

:lol:

What can I say....? I'm very confused.... lol, ok, not confused but... I don't think it was worth to listen to a 1:40 hour of interview that didn't give out anything that we didn't know already :shrugs:

That interview could do itself a favor and be reduced to half its length if their purpose is to get people to listen to it...... It's certainly a drag....

Roxana is not interesting as a character. She reminded me of a lot of other people who bark a lot but never bite...... I figured she's a walking contradiction between the image she wants to project and the things she says and does. She sounded confused when talking about herself, about who she is and how she wants to be perceived.

Also it seems that she's not happy with the way her first book was edited and the title, which unfortunately, is what has "defined" her since then and she doesn't seem to be able to get out of the mold and the label of being a groupie.

I dont believe she's a groupie but I dont believe she's the intellectual teacher from Harvard (or Oxford) that she wants to pose as either...... Although I do agree with some of her concepts and opinions about feminism, mysoginy, etc. I dont feel she's presenting new ideas regarding the subject. It is more or less what we all have studied in post-grad school (if you ever took gender studies).

About the GN'R guys she doesnt say much either and mentions that she wants to protect their privacy :question:..... that sounds more like a gag order than her wanting to be nice to these guys. So, my final impression of this whole thing is that she's not that interesting and that her story is not outstanding, even though it is sad that she was abused and mistreated by Dizzy Reed, so for that solely reason she gets my sympathy.

Maybe I should read her book instead of listening to her interviews, as she might be more interesting in paper than orally :shrugs:

42 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Just to add a different viewpoint here:

To me, CD is not a wanna-be be NIN album.  The final version has very little industrial influence left on it and certainly nothing that resembles NIN.  If anything, CD is rather commercial and tame - which is part of the 'problem' (I use that word loosely as it's not a problem for me) in that Axl compromised too much trying to please everyone, instead of standing his ground and making the experimental album he hinted at wanting to make early on.

Also, to me, and many others, CD does not consist of boring layers and solos.  Of the layers, there are indeed many, but they are incredibly intricate on some songs, which if you're a fan of that kind of busy sound, is very interesting.  I happen to be a fan of orchestral rock so it's natural I'd 'get' CD.  And some of the solos are incredible.  Buckethead's solo on TWAT is anything but boring - to those of us who like that sort of thing.

And can I just say that Axl never wanted to be Trent Reznor.  He simply liked the genre and admired Trent the way he liked and admired many different genres and artists.

In my opinion, Axl did not struggle without the others.  To my ears, CD is the better album of them all along with the latest Walking Papers album.  Slash only produced interesting music when he collaborated with certain artists like Chris Cornell and Andrew Stockdale.  Duff has, I am thrilled to say, FINALLY produced kick-ass music with WP2. :headbang:

But look, I'm just putting forward a different viewpoint here.  I'm not trying to say that anyone else's opinion isn't valid.  It's all entirely subjective.  I understand that CD isn't everyone's cup of tea.  But I always feel compelled to defend it.:lol:

I totally agree with the bolded. I really don't understand in which parts of CD people hear a NIN influence or anything reminiscent of that. I think this perception is based more on things like Robin Finck being on it and Beavan being producer at an early stage than on the actual sound of the album. What I hear is 70s rock and film music influences blended (or an attempt to it) with 90s "alternative" and some bits of nu metal in a "modern" package.

I'm not sure if he ever wanted to make something very experimental; maybe something where the modern elements would be more prevalent?

31 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Oh no! 

I thought he was great. 

When I'd checked his IG, I thought that his musical tastes were so different than the others'. He was like the Axl of the band :lol:, so that was probably inevitable. It's indeed a pity though.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

He was nervous as fuck in that interview.....he was breathing fast, his fingers touch everything....

I find it hard to watch Axl in this interview. As you say, his mannerisms make him seem nervous and uncomfortable, even the way he puts his foot on the opposite knee looks forced. But the way he looks bothers me more. His facial expression looks hunted. His eyes don't look normal. His skin looks unnaturally shiny or something (I think this was discussed here at the time). Compare to the China Exchange interview, where he seems fairly relaxed and looks more... normal.

6 hours ago, Politania said:

Changing topic. ;)

I have just listened to new episode made by Sid.there is a part of Steven Tayler how he talked to Axl about getting back to Slash, how he explained him that he has to move away his anger... oh man .that was powerful. Please check it out.

It seems that Axl was the one who did the first step of reunion.

I shouldnt be surpised but im 😅😅

Maybe I have missed this - who is Sid and what's the source?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I'm aware of all of that, I love VR and a lot of Slash's work and some of Duffs and a lot of Izzys.....didn't get on with CD very well.

It doesn't change my feeling that if a GnR album was being worked on with Slash and Duff then it would be better if Axl had more to do with it than just vocals and a few lyrics here and there. 

Even if Axl could come up with great lyrics. I don't think he wants the burden. He made very clear in the chats here how painfull the whole CD process was for him. In an interview he has mentioned a writers blocked he had in the past. I think it would be good for him not stress out over lyrics and music for new album, specially now when he has Slash and Duff back. And if Slash and Duff want to work with Izzy or other people besides getting input from Axl I think it's going to work for everyone.

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He was like the Axl of the band :lol:, so that was probably inevitable. It's indeed a pity though.

Maybe Slash saw the same thing as you and said to London: Get rid of him before he get away with the entire band...j/k

What I hear is 70s rock and film music influences blended (or an attempt to it) with 90s "alternative" and some bits of nu metal in a "modern" package.

Wow! what a combination of things

Edited by Georgina Arriaga
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

To me, CD is not a wanna-be be NIN album.  The final version has very little industrial influence left on it and certainly nothing that resembles NIN.

Since this is aimed at my opinions but people are scared of quoting me :lol: I will reply with this:

I wont bother about the rest.... :drool:

:lol:

On 28/1/2018 at 6:17 AM, MaskingApathy said:

I don't know how to post photos here. For those of you who are in the fanspot FB group I posted a photo there. I didn't ask about GnR but I don't think we'll be seeing him there anytime soon.

What's the best way to put this into words? 

So Steven is a great guy, really loveable and adorable. He hugged me a bunch of times and hugged everyone else he met. The issue isn't that he's a bad person or anything. He's still like a kid and you kind of want to make sure that someone is around to watch him. Compare him to Slash and Duff. They're professional, experienced touring musicans and they know how to conduct themselves in a professional way. Steven is like a wild card. He just wants to hang out and have a good time, but you don't really know what he's going to do. Especially in an environment where there's a lot of attention on him and band (like NAMM). That was ok back in the 80s when they were playing clubs and theaters. They were young and on loads of drugs and it was fine, but now Slash and Duff are older and sober. They want to know that everyone (especially on a tour of this magnitude) with behave and be professional, dependable, reliable, speak carefully, and so on. Frank fits that (and Axl wanted him). With Frank they don't have to worry about anything (except maybe the tempo). Steven, I think if I was touring in a band with him I would always be thinking about where he is and what he's doing. Not saying he can't be professional and all that (I'm sure he would if it came to it) but there's just too much weight and risk riding on this whole thing with the tour and where GnR is now. Steven is the wild card factor and the least controllable, and he could be a liability.

Everything I said above, none of that has to do with his previous substance abuse problems. That's just my impressions from spending a little bit of time with him today and seeing him interact with people. I think his wife is probably a huge help in helping him be accountable and staying clean.

Does that make sense to you all? I'm struggling to put into words my thoughts from seeing him today. It's one of those things that you can't really understand unless you've met him and been around him for a little while. Slash, Duff, and Axl, they know him even better than any of us. Before I thought, "oh he can do the tour and play the AFD stuff and be just fine" but after meeting him I think I'm starting to understand a little more what the others might be thinking.

you describe exactly the situation with steven.. i have the same opinion with you when i met him when he played in my hometown. he still is a kid of 80s, and despite the fact i disagree with the way they treat to him and izzy axl duff and slash are more professional than ever!  i don't believe that he could follow the rhythm of this huge tour!

• Like 1