British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

It's always fascinating to see how most pro-Euros are able to admit that the EU needs improvement, yet Eurosceptics can't admit that, for most countries, the EU has done a lot more good than harm.

Then, assuming you are correct, there is a definite image problem if all of these Eurosceptic populists are now ''biting the hand that feeds''.

35 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then, assuming you are correct, there is a definite image problem if all of these Eurosceptic populists are now ''biting the hand that feeds''.

There is an image problem, probably even partly correct. That is why it needs improvement, reformation. We know it's not perfect. I don't know what the balance is in other EU countries, but here there are only a couple of Eurosceptic parties, all the other ones, whether they are right or left, are all pro-EU. Doesn't mean they will tell you that the EU is perfect the way it now is, but they are also able to look at all the good things the EU does and has done, instead of only looking at the bad, like some.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EvanG said:

There is an image problem, probably even partly correct. That is why it needs improvement, reformation. We know it's not perfect. I don't know what the balance is in other EU countries, but here there are only a couple of Eurosceptic parties, all the other ones, whether they are right or left, are all pro-EU. Doesn't mean they will tell you that the EU is perfect the way it now is, but they are also able to look at all the good things the EU does and has done, instead of only looking at the bad, like some.

There is a distinction between Soft-Euroscepticism which is critical of the EU without advocating withdrawal of member state, and Hard-Euroscepticism which advocates withdrawal. The former is sometimes conflated with Eurorealism which is a position, anti-federalist, held by the ECR, but then when I mention that Sinn Fein who sit with the United Left and Nordic Greens, also are soft-Eurosceptics, you can see how complicated this subject is?

43 minutes ago, Graeme said:

No, Len, it's a fictional television programme. 

;) .

I meant on the show you skirt wearing transvestite! :lol:  Don't try to make me out to be thick, I do an admirable job of that all by myself :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I meant on the show you skirt wearing transvestite! :lol:  Don't try to make me out to be thick, I do an admirable job of that all by myself :lol:

If could be a lot worse, we could be hearing you talk about the "thannelth of Venith."

• Haha 1

A spokesman for the EU Commission has upheld the Prodi Doctrine again this very day!

Scottish nationalists are living in some sort of la-la fantasy land! Furthermore, Independent/EU-acceding Scotland would have to adopt the Euro, or be seen to be planning to adopt the Euro like the seven non-Eurozone member states (whilst deliberately not meeting the EU's convergence criteria so as to stall accession haha).

Literally nobody is joining the Eurozone at the moment! The last accession was 2015.

The only alternative would be to negotiate opt-outs like the United Kingdom and Denmark, which I suppose is plausible but no member state has joined the EU whilst opting-out of the Eurozone - Denmark and the UK joined 1973 well before Maastricht, 1993. It wouldn't exactly be a shining example of Scotland's EU/Europhile credentials if you know what I mean? And that would raise the same old query as existed during rapist Salmond's referendum: what currency do the (Independent) Scottish actually want?

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

"As an MP, Widdecombe was known for opposing the legality of abortion, her opposition to various issues of LGBT rights such as an equal age of consent and the repeal of Section 28, her support for the re-introduction of the death penalty, the retention of blasphemy laws and her opposition to fox hunting."

Ugh.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

"As an MP, Widdecombe was known for opposing the legality of abortion, her opposition to various issues of LGBT rights such as an equal age of consent and the repeal of Section 28, her support for the re-introduction of the death penalty, the retention of blasphemy laws and her opposition to fox hunting."

Ugh.

:lol: 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Gross. And she's privy council so she's involved in your government for life.

Im very sad for y'all. Im also sad about politicians like her normalizing right wing ideology because it paves the way for it to further take root in our government.

There's some sad news today that will leave comedy fans distraught: Ann Widdecombe has vowed never to go on Have I Got News For You again. Not because she was monstered by Ian Hislop and Paul Merton - in fact she lauds the satirical quiz's long-standing team captains for "the fastest wits in showbusiness". No, what has provoked her wrath is being forced to endure the company of fellow guest Jimmy Carr. "His idea of wit is a barrage of filth and the sort of humour most men grow out of in their teens," she harrumphs in her Daily Express column today. "The edit got rid of much of it but there's no amount of money for which I would go through those two recording hours again. At one stage I nearly walked out." And now, sadly, Ann has walked out on the show for good. Jimmy, how can you live with yourself after what you've done? The nation will not easily forgive you.

:lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Ugh.

She's a moderate compared to the likes of Peter Bone, Christopher Choose, Bill Cash and Esther Mcvey her former colleagues.

One of these types that go on comedy and panels shows in an attempt to humanise themselves.

46 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

She's a moderate compared to the likes of Peter Bone, Christopher Choose, Bill Cash and Esther Mcvey her former colleagues.

One of these types that go on comedy and panels shows in an attempt to humanise themselves.

Yeah, she is horrible. 

• Like 1

Verhofstadt, he with the floppy Gary Neville hair, saying Farage ''would rather sign in & go to the pub'' little realising that that is about the greatest accolade one can bestow on a Briton haha. 

Edited by DieselDaisy