British Politics

Gracii Guns

11 minutes ago, soon said:

Sad she gets a standing ovation anywhere. Whats a working mens club, like a union hall?

This is the best example of a northern working men’s club I can think of. 

Thanks lads, still not sure what she was doing there or what gained the applause, but thats no matter.

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Working men's clubs are private clubs but usually non-members can attend (you just have to sign a book). 

This too is like attending a labour council meeting here. Neat.

So etymologically speaking mens clubs are private houses and "pubs" are public houses.

15 minutes ago, Dazey said:

This is the best example of a northern working men’s club I can think of. 

Haha, thanks! Gonna watch this in its entirety. Its like a cooperative bar, I assume to make the booze more affordable for the workers. Maybe they do things like build local crickets and such like the Lions Club or The Rotary Club, as well.

As you know, here the capitalists let us attend any of their bars for free and then gouge us on the price for a pint. 

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks lads, still not sure what she was doing there or what gained the applause, but thats no matter.

This too is like attending a labour council meeting here. Neat.

So etymologically speaking mens clubs are private houses and "pubs" are public houses.

Haha, thanks! Gonna watch this in its entirety. Its like a cooperative bar, I assume to make the booze more affordable for the workers. Maybe they do things like build local crickets and such like the Lions Club or The Rotary Club, as well.

As you know, here the capitalists let us attend any of their bars for free and then gouge us on the price for a pint. 

I have only ever been in a social for christenings and such like; they often hire them out for christenings, marriages and birthdays. 

They are fairly grimy places.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have only ever been in a social for christenings and such like; they often hire them out for christenings, marriages and birthdays. 

I worked in one for three years as a student. :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I feel like a broken record because first thing that comes to mind is the steel workers hall here, where Ive attended weddings, birthdays, speaking events and conferences. :lol: I keep picturing this scene from Pride

But it finally clicked, thank you for your patience, I attended a Polish wedding at the Polish Club! I think mainly immigrants have their own social clubs here. The waspy Rotary Club and such is often too puritan to centre their activities around booze.

I also used to work at an anarchist social centre. We drank some communion wine, but for the most part people either organized or tied-off in the pisser there. It was a fairly grimy place, too. But the only ale was from one of the spaces founding organizers who was a prolific home brewer. He would bring me my order and Id gladly hand him an IOU :lol:. There were birthdays there, but events like weddings were usually still at the steel workers hall where they have a bar and kitchen.

33 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I worked in one for three years as a student. :lol: 

My dad still goes to the local one here every Sunday at 7pm without fail to talk shite with his old duffer mates and do the quiz. They have a little old fella on the door signing in guests who looks like a dead body that they've propped up on a stool.

11 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

My dad still goes to the local one here every Sunday at 7pm without fail to talk shite with his old duffer mates and do the quiz. They have a little old fella on the door signing in guests who looks like a dead body that they've propped up on a stool.

Probably gets paid in beer tokens if the place I worked in is anything to go by. :lol: 

11 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I went to one in Dulwich and there was a line marked on the floor around the bar, woman were not not permitted to cross the line. Is that a standard thing in men's clubs?

The one I used to work in had a men only bar on one side of the building then a lounge bar in another room where women were allowed in with the men. :lol: 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You expected it to end now with the election on May 26. The Guardian article talks about the next 10-20 years. 

Anyway, the fact that many fear that the EU will collapse when we look more than 10 years into the future is not due to people in Europe not having positive feelings towards the EU. According to the article, Europeans have not been as positive to the EU since 1983, and 92 % of voters said they would lose out if the EU disappeared. So people believe in and want to have the EU, yet stil expect it to crash. That seeming paradox can be explained by the general trend of negative feelings towards our political systems, lingering effects of the economic recession, growing inequality, etc. 

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You expected it to end now with the election on May 26. The Guardian article talks about the next 10-20 years. 

Anyway, the fact that many fear that the EU will collapse when we look more than 10 years into the future is not due to people in Europe not having positive feelings towards the EU. According to the article, Europeans have not been as positive to the EU since 1983, and 92 % of voters said they would lose out if the EU disappeared. So people believe in and want to have the EU, yet stil expect it to crash. That seeming paradox can be explained by the general trend of negative feelings towards our political systems, lingering effects of the economic recession, growing inequality, etc. 

That's because they want the economic goodies of an EU (as long as it doesn't come along with austerity), without the migration/refugee policies of the current ruling class. 

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know where I claimed that? It is difficult to see how that constitutional could happen for a start. I feel the Eurozone will unravel the EU but it will be a prolonged period to overturn this Reich.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I don't know where I claimed that? It is difficult to see how that constitutional could happen for a start. I feel the Eurozone will unravel the EU but it will be a prolonged period to overturn this Reich.

Ah, 10-20 years at least ;). 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It will be a staged withdrawal. European populists, even Le Pen, are targeting the Eurozone. British Eurosceptics obviously did not possess this as a target.

Which is a guarantee for its continued existence. The fact you can't just dismantle it with the stroke of a pen means it will survive temporary distrusts and shifting swings in popularity, like what we are having now. A few years of populism, right-wing shift, and unrest after recessions, simply won't be sufficient to ruin something that has been painstakingly built over a large time. Which is good, because the alternative, its rapid destruction, would be irresponsible to next generations who otherwise would not get to enjoy the benefits of being a part of the EU (re: the recent poll that shows that most people within the EU would feel they lost out without it). Any change now as a consequence of this turn towards nationalism and protectionism will simply make it more robust for the next time the pendulum shifts in this direction.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Which is a guarantee for its continued existence. The fact you can't just dismantle it with the stroke of a pen means it will survive temporary distrusts and shifting swings in popularity, like what we are having now. A few years of populism, right-wing shift, and unrest after recessions, simply won't be sufficient to ruin something that has been painstakingly built over a large time. Which is good, because the alternative, its rapid destruction, would be irresponsible to next generations who otherwise would not get to enjoy the benefits of being a part of the EU (re: the recent poll that shows that most people within the EU would feel they lost out without it). Any change now as a consequence of this turn towards nationalism and protectionism will simply make it more robust for the next time the pendulum shifts in this direction.

I don't agree with any of this. 

PS

Even arch-remainer Gina Miller agrees with me,

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1128037/Brexit-news-UK-European-Union-European-elections-Theresa-May-Gina-Miller

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 13/05/2019 at 5:06 PM, soon said:

Someone left a cream cheese tub with blow in it at my place. 

I flushed the blow.

Then I recycled the container.

And I thought of how disgusted many of you would be with one or both of my actions :lol:

Is that true?!  You fuckin' nobhead, why did you do that?!?  I used to think you were alright, fuckin' hell, what was the point in that?!  I'm genuinely fuckin' outraged right now :lol:

35 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

FFS I could of used that Charlie .. I would of recycled the tub after I promise 

The carbon foot print of getting it to you though. :lol:

28 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Is that true?!  You fuckin' nobhead, why did you do that?!?  I used to think you were alright, fuckin' hell, what was the point in that?!  I'm genuinely fuckin' outraged right now :lol:

Haha! Yeah, you know Im a passionate recycler! Oh, you mean the blow?!?! I entered it into the water system, so who knows, next time you straddle the old bidet you might get really high and you'd have me to thank! :lol:

Spoiler

Also, I couldn't remember the word "bidet." When I googled I got a full page of hits for 'how to clean anus before butt sex.' :o:facepalm::lol:

Edited by soon