British Politics

Gracii Guns

40 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Boris could literally spend the next two weeks on a golf course if he loses the vote on Saturday and there's nothing in place as things stand to prevent us leaving by default with no deal on the 31st. The Benn Act was only applicable if a deal was not agreed with the EU by the weekend. 

Ouch! Your move Parliament! 

What do you think the odds are of the ERG bloc voting against the deal with a no deal objective in mind but the deal still passing when a bunch of Labour, Lib Dem, SNP etc MPs defy the whip to avoid no deal? :lol: 

Corbyn is so much the ideologue and so much engulfed in party politicking that he will vote against it - it is up to his individual MPs to defy whip. SNP (secretly) would love a no deal as it would aggrandise support for independence which is all they care about. Moderate LDs, those defectors from the Tories - indies also - maybe?

Regarding Junker saying there will be no extension, I recall whilst watching that Verhofstadt documentary some comments by Verhofstadt and his team - Verhofstadt runs the EU Parliamentary commission on Brexit incidentally - that the British remaniacs are a colossal pain in the arse for the EU, as they ultimately hinder a deal being procured and the EU, although they might regret Brexit, does want a deal. Same applies to the remainer parliamentarians in this incident.  

PS

If Corbyn whips party for second referendum/against deal it is the end of Labour as a political force. 

Farage opposing deal. Interesting position as there is a danger of (leaver) public rallying behind this deal. Since Boris, Farage has been eclipsed as a political force. I am however on his side if Boris hands our territorial waters over to the French. More on this https://order-order.com/2019/10/17/brexit-party-fracturing-boris-new-deal/

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

You're forgetting that we also have to request an extension for one to be granted. Who's going to do that?

Well Boris, unless he resigns after a defeat in Parliament. I don't see him giving up that easy. Not even Theresa May did it after she was defeated the first time

Two views on vote,

19844292-7583665-This_is_how_Boris_Johns

EHGdAzRW4AIpD8X?format=jpg&name=large

Brexit Party propaganda which I found amusing,

EHGHHMdX4AAHdQw?format=jpg&name=900x900

PS

Boris has ran circles around opponents. If he passes this deal he will be, ''the PM who delivered Brexit'' following three years of May's incompetence, Parliamentary division and Labour disorientation. If the deal fails, Parliament - Corbyn, LDs, SNP - will effectively be voting for a ''no deal'', the very thing they have so vociferously opposed. He has manoeuvred himself into a win-win situation.

And he has pulled the rug from under Farage: the public seem to be rallying to this deal whereas Farage is preaching to thin air, and seems to have a few divisions in his party over the deal. There was a method to his madness in not allying himself with TBP. 

For political machinations this is up there with Disraeli's Reform Bill and Bismark's Ems Telegram. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Two views on vote,

19844292-7583665-This_is_how_Boris_Johns

EHGdAzRW4AIpD8X?format=jpg&name=large

Brexit Party propaganda which I found amusing,

EHGHHMdX4AAHdQw?format=jpg&name=900x900

PS

Boris has ran circles around opponents. If he passes this deal he will be, ''the PM who delivered Brexit'' following three years of May's incompetence, Parliamentary division and Labour disorientation. If the deal fails, Parliament - Corbyn, LDs, SNP - will effectively be voting for a ''no deal'', the very thing they have so vociferously opposed. He has manoeuvred himself into a win-win situation.

And he has pulled the rug from under Farage: the public seem to be rallying to this deal whereas Farage is preaching to thin air, and seems to have a few divisions in his party over the deal. There was a method to his madness in not allying himself with TBP. 

For political machinations this is up there with Disraeli's Reform Bill and Bismark's Ems Telegram. 

Though it pains me to say it I think you might be right. Especially when this is the standard of the opposition. 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/iain-dale/iain-dale-is-forced-to-correct-lib-dem-brexit/

Edit. She is quite easy on the eye though. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

Isn't the EU the winners here? Johnson was desperate to bring home a deal, any deal that EU accepted, because the alternative is no deal which the moron is fine with. So things were conceded in the negotiations and now Parliament is held hostage over a no deal or a worse-than-May deal. 

And in the end the loses are the people of UK. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Isn't the EU the winners here? Johnson was desperate to bring home a deal, any deal that EU accepted, because the alternative is no deal which the moron is fine with. So things were conceded in the negotiations and now Parliament is held hostage over a no deal or a worse-than-May deal. 

It isn't worse than May's deal though. It ditches the Backstop which means the United Kingdom won't be locked in the customs area for an unspecified amount of time. The Backstop was the main stumbling block for Brexiteers. Further, it concedes control to Stormont to continue the arrangement (or not). 

19861412-7585909-image-a-24_157135270622

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The are many winners. Parliament and the Courts because they stopped Boris and his reckless and arrogant behaviour. Ireland, another winner, brought both sides together. I give Boris credit for acting as a responsible leader at the end. I guess he has learn a lesson. I'm glad to know that he is not Trump. And of course Europe, once again showing the rest of the world that in the 21st century the problems get fixed with meetings, negotiations and agreements.

2 hours ago, Padme said:

The are many winners. Parliament and the Courts because they stopped Boris and his reckless and arrogant behaviour. Ireland, another winner, brought both sides together. I give Boris credit for acting as a responsible leader at the end. I guess he has learn a lesson. I'm glad to know that he is not Trump. And of course Europe, once again showing the rest of the world that in the 21st century the problems get fixed with meetings, negotiations and agreements.

It isn't like this at all. When remainers were saying, ''he is lying (about negotiating) and there is no deal, and in reality he is wasting away time so that the United Kingdom 'crashes out' of the EU'', the remainers were completely wrong, but then they have been wrong about many things - I see the pound is recovering?

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It isn't like this at all. When remainers were saying, ''he is lying (about negotiating) and there is no deal, and in reality he is wasting away time so that the United Kingdom 'crashes out' of the EU'', the remainers were completely wrong, but then they have been wrong about many things - I see the pound is recovering?

I'm talking about Boris, Ireland and the EU, not remainers. Some of them may like this deal and others may not because they just want to remain

And I don't know who said that Boris was lying. It was reported everywhere that he was discussing a deal with the Irish PM. As far as I know neither side ever denied that negotiations were underway.

So glad we're leaving this shitshow,

PS

Apparently the 27 leaders were all on their way home to put their feet up, thinking a deal was in the offing when Letwin decided to be an arse and introduce an amendment. Utter exasperation by the 27 members! See what I mean? British ''Remainism'' is actually an annoyance to the EU at this stage.

Edited by DieselDaisy

23 hours ago, Dazey said:

Though it pains me to say it I think you might be right. Especially when this is the standard of the opposition. 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/iain-dale/iain-dale-is-forced-to-correct-lib-dem-brexit/

Edit. She is quite easy on the eye though. :lol: 

Heard that live on the radio last night, it was fucking cringeworthy. :lol:

20 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They love him,

19851514-7582705-image-a-10_157133585551

Frau Merkel didn't even give him her customary eyeball roll. 

He looks like the EU's big albino teddy bear. 

The EU leaders took the piss out of May, it would appear that Boris has them eating out of the palm of his hand.

They look like a gaggle of giddy fangirls surrounding Jagger.

The Rock N' Roll PM, sprinkling the stardust around.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

:lol:

Thank you for your concern, however, I'm fairly confident it is misplaced.

Funny thing is his country went twice to the polls on joining the EU, in 1972 and 1994, and twice voted nei.

(And yes I did have to look-up on Wiktionary what the Norwegian for ''no'' is; I knew it would be similar to nein because you're all krauts). 

Edited by DieselDaisy