10/22/17 - Boston, MA - TD Garden

gunsguy

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It wasn't good

You were there, right? I never in a million years thought this would happen, but I left after Coma. His voice was not good, and I bumped into a few others on their way out for the same reason. No knock on him, maybe it's just too hard to sing that way.

I just couldn't muster up the energy to sit through the cover-heavy second half of the show. I had my 15 year old daughter with me. She thought it was cool but definitely wasn't blown away. It was just a disappointing night I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, smoke said:

You were there, right? I never in a million years thought this would happen, but I left after Coma. His voice was not good, and I bumped into a few others on their way out for the same reason. No knock on him, maybe it's just too hard to sing that way.

I just couldn't muster up the energy to sit through the cover-heavy second half of the show. I had my 15 year old daughter with me. She thought it was cool but definitely wasn't blown away. It was just a disappointing night I guess.

Wowww..Was that bad? Something like Rio 2011? Maybe he´s sick or push too much on those previous GIGs..

Just now, Derick said:

Wowww..Was that bad? Something like Rio 2011? Maybe he´s sick or push too much on those previous GIGs..

Maybe I've been watching them too closely for the past two years. He sounded exactly as bad and in places, completely off-key, as he has on all the youtube vids. The whole show just seemed by the number. I really hate to be that guy, so I'm not going to try to argue against anyone who was there and disagrees, but for me it was a bummer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, smoke said:

Ack. Not good.  Not good at all.  Apart from Axl's vocals, which was the worst aspect of the show that made you decide to leave when you did?

Just now, smoke said:

Maybe I've been watching them too closely for the past two years. He sounded exactly as bad and in places, completely off-key, as he has on all the youtube vids. The whole show just seemed by the number. I really hate to be that guy, so I'm not going to try to argue against anyone who was there and disagrees, but for me it was a bummer.

Exact reason I gave away my ticket for upcoming show.kind of over the whole nostalgia thing it was cool while it lasted caught a couple shows on the tour had a great time but definitely reached a saturation point.and the recent videos are pretty underwhelming in regards to Axl’s voice 

Just now, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Ack. Not good.  Not good at all.  Apart from Axl's vocals, which was the worst aspect of the show that made you decide to leave when you did?

They started out strong but fell apart vocally at Better, and he never recovered. I just couldn't stick around through the jams and covers that were about to begin in the second half. Band was great, but (again my fault for watching so many live vids over the past two years) the whole thing just seemed choreographed and mailed in. 

• Like 3

I went last night. It was fine....at this point you know what you’re getting. I wanted to hear Black Hole Sun. Luckily the setlist is so predictable. I knew when they’d play it. I left after that so I missed KOHD and the encore. No regrets going....no regrets leaving early. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smoke said:

Yeah I was there.. Definitely wasn't blown away either but I stayed the whole show and rocked out as hard as I could... Dunno If I would pay 300 for the same show again though.. 5 CD songs was brutal...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, smoke said:

They started out strong but fell apart vocally at Better, and he never recovered. I just couldn't stick around through the jams and covers that were about to begin in the second half. Band was great, but (again my fault for watching so many live vids over the past two years) the whole thing just seemed choreographed and mailed in. 

You saw what I saw.. I just wrote a review.. Everything is so predictable, Staged and scripted... Like Slash jumping off the riser at the beginning of Jungle every time. Still, those MSG and DC shows seemed pretty killer.. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The video intro is kind of lame.. I just feel they missed an opportunity to have a really cool intro movie for this tour.. All the videos and images on the screens are kind of corny.  

Aerosmith and the Stones have had some cool opening videos recently that have celebrated their members and histories, etc- it really gets the fans going. I guess this band's history is too jacked to celebrate.  They'd rather keep it impersonal.

22 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The set list is what it is.. Super predictable at this point and it was definitely my least favorite of the three shows I saw. Everything is kind of predictable and staged pretty much. From when Axl beats his chest during jungle, to what part of what songs Slash is going to jump of the risers, or Axl is gonna get on them, When Slash puts his guitar behind his head or where he is going to stand during certain solos. Everything is just seems scripted these days. 

Good review. At this point it's like Guns 'N' Roses: The Broadway Show. Do you like the soundtrack? Do you like the stars of the show? Then you will probably enjoy it. 

You know if you go see Hamilton you will see the same songs in the same order with the same sets and choreography and effects. You might prefer actor A instead of his understudy in a minor role, but it doesn't take away from your enjoyment of the play much. Most people don't even notice. 

And there you have it, felt pretty much same way about NYC. We are starting to see AXL get by just because he is Axl, sometimes.

Understanding that new fans who never got to see them back in the day are excited about at least witnessing them on stage together, But can we get some new music?

OR

GNR basically needs to fade away before too many more shows like the last couple become what we remember of them. The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, The Who, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, When is enough, enough I guess.

Edited by CHRISSY

53 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Went to the show last night. I had a great time but it was probably my least favorite of the 3 I have seen this tour.  They played too many CD songs and it definitely brought the place down at times.. There was a guy next to me that kept yelling for them to play "some old shit". He actually said it once during one of the old songs but I can't remember which one. Possibly Attitude or DTJ.  He was also wasted and  was yelling for Estranged after they already played it.  I think it took awhile for the crowd to get warmed up, probably because of the early start. A lot of people weren't in their seats when it kicked off. The sound where I was sitting wasn't that great and the guy to the other side mentioned that as well. He was at the first Vegas show too and we talked a little about it. We both agreed that the experience was better than the show itself.  While the band wasn't very tight yet, Axl didn't sound great and he was confined to the chair, it was still a better show than last night.  I would say mostly because it was the "first" show, the crowd of super fans from all over the world was electric, and the set list was still unknown. Songs like DTJ, COMA, Layla were all total surprises.. The best show was definitely Foxboro last year. Axl sounded the best out of the 3 shows and the set list was also the best.

So, while this was my least favorite of the 3 shows, I still had a great time. Slash was on fire the whole show.. Axl  didn't sound as good as the previous few shows. He voice was often weak and lots of Mickey but he still brought it when he could.. I just sing a long the whole time anyway so I don't get hung up on it. And the crowd helps him out as well. It is what it is, I really don't think it is from a lack of effort.. I just think it is really hard for him to do what he does consistently these days. He still had some great moments and it is great to see him up there with Slash and Duff.

I definitely liked the stripped down stage and the "smaller" atmosphere..

The video intro is kind of lame.. I just feel they missed an opportunity to have a really cool intro movie for this tour.. All the videos and images on the screens are kind of corny. 

The set list is what it is.. Super predictable at this point and it was definitely my least favorite of the three shows I saw. Everything is kind of predictable and staged pretty much. From when Axl beats his chest during jungle, to what part of what songs Slash is going to jump of the risers, or Axl is gonna get on them, When Slash puts his guitar behind his head or where he is going to stand during certain solos. Everything is just seems scripted these days. 

It's So Easy - Always a great song.. Slash seemed a bit low in the mix for awhile and the sound was a bit muddy in general. People were still settling in. My buddy looked over and said "Damn, Axl looks like shit"
Mr. Brownstone - Always great..
Chinese Democracy - Ok song
Welcome to the Jungle - This has been one of the highlights of the tour for me.. It was pretty bad ass last night and got people fully engaged..
Double Talkin' Jive - Slash was awesome.. I still really don't like the way this lineup does the intro.. They just don't capture the groove that it had in say the Tokyo Videos or the Skin N' Bones tour.. But the rest of the song is money
Better - Such a weird moment when this song starts.. I went to take a piss and get a beer... There were a decent amount of others that did as well. 
Estranged - Made it back for Estranged.. Always great... 
Live and Let Die - I loved this lineups version last year but it seems to have come down a notch.. Axl can't hold the menacing screams as long and the explosions are annoying. 
Rocket Queen - I actually enjoyed this more than the previous shows I have seen this tour.  Could still do without the Fortus solo but over all it was good. Probably mu favorite Guns song and I still wish they could do better with it but I had fun. 
You Could Be Mine - Axl didn't sound great until the middle part but it was still ok.. You still have Slash and Duff to pick up the slack when he is struggling a bit. And singing along helps as well. 
Attitude - Glad we got Attitude over New Rose
This I Love - This song is brutal.. It was a definite lull in the set.....
Civil War - Always great to see... 
Yesterdays - enjoyed seeing this since they didn't play it my last two shows but Axl sounded weak.
Coma - Great song. Axl didn't do as well as he had the previous few shows and didn't sound great at the end. Still great to see.. He was good on the verses and Slash rocks it
Slash Guitar Solo - Always great
Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather) Always great but I do wish he would come up with something fresh
Sweet Child O' Mine - Fucking awesome.. Again not Axl's best night but he had 30,00 people backing his up!
Wichita Lineman - Weird.. I did think it was cool when they first played it but I would rather something else.. It does fit Axl great and I love the little acoustic jam at the end. Still rather an acoustic You're Crazy or something...
Used to Love Her - Hadn't seen this during this tour either so it was fun..
My Michelle - Great song Axl, didn't sound great..
Wish You Were Here - Sometimes I like this sometimes it bores me.. I definitely prefer when Slash is playing.. People seem to like it though.
November Rain - In Vegas I thought the Layla intro was great and was totally unexpected for me.. Now it has become bit boring.. November Rain was great though. They have really came a long way with this one.. 
Black Hole Sun - I wish they would stop with this song. I never liked the original
Knockin' on Heaven's Door - The arrangement could be better but people still love it and sing along loudly to it.. Fortus didn't get much of a reaction during his solos.. The guy is a dud
Nightrain - Awesome as always
Encore:
Sorry - I don't hate this song but didn't pay much attention to it.... Lame to have it in the encore and people weren't that into it
Patience - Love the Sweet Melissa Jam.. Weird slow song for an encore but from the solo on to the outro it picks back up and people get into it
Madagascar - Another CD song in the encore sucking the life out of the place
Don't Cry - Finally got to see it this tour..
The Seeker - I like this one more than others.
Paradise City - Predictable closer but still a lot of fun.  

It was a good show.. I had a blast and sang along to almost every song. It has definitely become predictable and stale at times.. Especially being my third show. Axl wasn't at his best but he is still the man you want up there. Slash was Slash.. Killing it all night long. Fucking workhorse. Didn't really notice the Smurf.. Fortus is ok most of the time but there are other times I wish he wasn't there. Frank is Frank.. I think overall everyone thought it was great, especially first timers but I didn't get the sense walking out that everyone was blown away like when leaving Foxboro last summer. I had several people tell me that was the best show they had ever seen. This was probably an average Guns shows which is still very good.. I just wish they could make it a little more unpredictable and staged.. Play a couple more classic instead of all covers and CD songs..

@Tom-ass very mixed review, i feel  what you review is sincere.

• Like 2

It's not an exclusive GNR thing, really. You are noticing it now because of GNR's busy schedule and it being back on the spotlight, but all the classic rock bands have been offering similar experiences. AC/DC, Stones, Metallica, Bon Jovi all are extremely professional, scripted and well oiled performances, and if you follow them through a whole tour every show is very much like the previous, and very much like the next one. The changes in setlist that GNR brings with all the covers and alternates are actually a bit above average for those bands.

The truth is that GNR is now another multimillion, professional band. Even Axl, as volatile as he was up to 2012, has been turn into another old dude who is nice to fans, asks how they are doing and goes up there and does his jobs. Those guys are going up there and doing their jobs in a professional, structured and predictable fashion. It works for 99% of fans who attend shows and it keeps things flowing.

There is the new album debate, but this iteration of GNR is still quite new. I think there will be some new music, but when it happens reception will be in the "those guys guys are old, but still can rock pretty decently" fashion like Metallica's hardwired or AC/DC's every album for the past 2 decades. Then the band gets back on the road, singing SCOM, Jungle and 3-4 songs from the new stuff up until whenever Axl's voice holds up - that also might not last that long. His voice is shot, AC/DC performances and great shows here and there won't change that.

This scenario is the absolute best that can be expected from GNR and Rock'n'Roll in general in 2017: old guys performing consistently but in a professional, trained and predictable way, possibly releasing some decent rockers with a singer fighting hard to deliver serviceable performances of all the screaming and belting he did in the past. The crazyness and intensity of years past is lost to the ages, as sad as it may be.

• Like 4