The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

4 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

There is a YouTube video that compares his 92 voice with his 2017 voice. It's a really sad watch. Especially when you consider he is struggling even more in 2018. 

We need at least 2016 Axl to enjoy these shows. 

You mean "we" as in the couple dozen sad sacks on this forum? Because the majority of the millions who have attended this tour have enjoyed the shows.

• Like 1

A lot of it is this tour is too damn long! Axl had issues in his late 20’s with his vocals from the length and strain of the tour. Now in his 50’s he’s going to experience something troubling vocally from the duration of the tour and shows themselves. 

But he’s getting the million dollar paycheck so it’s worth it to him. 

The weird thing you have to remember is that Axl sounded like total shit at the Troubador gig in 2016 - breaking his leg forced him to sit down and sing, and then in the subsequent months he lost weight doing physical therapy as part of his rehab

If he wouldn't have broke his leg...2016 could have been a disaster for him vocally

21 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

The weird thing you have to remember is that Axl sounded like total shit at the Troubador gig in 2016 - breaking his leg forced him to sit down and sing, and then in the subsequent months he lost weight doing physical therapy as part of his rehab

If he wouldn't have broke his leg...2016 could have been a disaster for him vocally

So someone needs to break his leg again to improve his voice? 

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

I think ACDC did more for him than the broken foot. Coachella was decent until he started singing WLR then it was like “ok the sharpness is back, the power is there, he’s on time (vocally)...” 

if Axl can hit a cleaner note without rasp but maintain a sharp sound then he can sound good on anything. 

The chair helped for sure though! Gave him a chance to work on his technique and craft and execute in a live setting. Sadly he just can’t go 3 years of touring without sacrificing something. Especially playing the set he was performing. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

2016 axl had a lot of “Mickey” and out of breathing perfomances. Seriously? Wanna praise some old time? Try 2006/7 and 2009/10. 

still cant understand how can there be that much of a difference. Then and now, 2016 is nothing compared to 2010. But how and why ? Age? Weight? who knows...

21 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

2016 axl had a lot of “Mickey” and out of breathing perfomances. Seriously? Wanna praise some old time? Try 2006/7 and 2009/10. 

Although 2016 was a fantastic year as well, I certainly would feel very cool with putting that in the list of "best post-90's Axl periods" along with those two periods.  I am jamming out to a 2016 version of Out To Get Me followed by an Axl/DC Thunderstruck and I am getting total chills from how powerful they are vocally

Edited by WhazUp

2 minutes ago, onurbayrak03 said:

I mean listen to this. Then listen to any show from 2016.(even Houston). This is the shit right here! Close to 80's

I love that video, one of my all time favs of the nuGNR era, right up there with the Duff show at the 02 in 2010 where they did YCBM

Although I personally would say this is right up there vocally, just as kickass!  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

"Mickey" popped up a lot more in 2006-2007 than anyone seems to want to admit for whatever reason. 

9 minutes ago, Stro said:

"Mickey" popped up a lot more in 2006-2007 than anyone seems to want to admit for whatever reason. 

This is true, there were definitely some 'off' shows in 06-07, but his clean voice was generally quite strong then too, not really like '01 or '09-now. Plus he used that unique nasal sounding voice on songs like Nightrain or Nov Rain and it usually sounded awesome.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I count Philly Axl/DC 2016 as Axl’s most complete performance. It’s beautiful to listen to haha 

I still think Atlanta was the best show... maybe not as consistent as Philly but the 'highlights' were better in Atlanta. Philly is still obviously a great show but I think the 'wear n tear' on his voice at that point is pretty evident in comparison to earlier shows. The trade-off for the great performances with AC/DC was that he had to push his voice harder each time, it began to crack more frequently over the tour and he started sounding more 'shriek-y' on the Brian songs, similar to how he then sounded on the SA 2016 leg with Guns. I think the Atlanta show was the best of the Brian songs on that leg, or they're at least top contenders for the best performances of that leg, and the Bon songs sounded good and sharp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I still think Atlanta was the best show... maybe not as consistent as Philly but the 'highlights' were better in Atlanta. Philly is still obviously a great show but I think the 'wear n tear' on his voice at that point is pretty evident in comparison to earlier shows. The trade-off for the great performances with AC/DC was that he had to push his voice harder each time, it began to crack more frequently over the tour and he started sounding more 'shriek-y' on the Brian songs, similar to how he then sounded on the SA 2016 leg with Guns. I think the Atlanta show was the best of the Brian songs on that leg, or they're at least top contenders for the best performances of that leg, and the Bon songs sounded good and sharp.

Hard to argue Atl show not being better, I'd really have to nit pick haha but I will say having listened to both shows numerous times the Atl show he had so much control of his higher register on songs like Highway to Hell that final scream is perfect, it wasn't crazy but again control with power was evident and another example being high voltage he nails that scream without sounding strained. The philly show I felt he controlled his mid range so much better. It was the smoothest I've heard him from beginning to end. Nothing sounded like too much for him. After that show I was convinced he'd found a voice he could use for a while. But in philly you'll hear him take his voice to the brink like that scream on high voltage his voice breaks and it happens a couple times on for those about to rock 

so ATL he was vocally better in terms of range from top to bottom. But again to me there was an effortless way he went about it in philly that gave me confidence in his future vocal abilities 

4:57 ATL show

4:53 philly 

great shows to look back on in terms of what Axl was capable of. Much of this could have translated to GNR songs 

• Like 1

@IncitingChaos you said it right, Atlanta was a perfect display of control of his voice. And I think the parts that translated would be OTGM, the LALD screams, WTTJ, etc... but yea if he'd worked with his vocal coach on the GNR set it could've been even better, like Houston '16 being the 'normal' level of performance.

5 minutes ago, diegodasilva23 said:

I know this is not the right section for what I’ll say, but talking about the Philly concert, can someone send me it via pm, please? I don’t have it and I don’t know where to find, I’ve searched everywhere.

No links allowed on the forums anymore, you'll have to look elsewhere sadly. Keeps the guys running this place from dealing with a bunch of legal shit I think. 

heres a YouTube link though, I think those are allowed still!

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@IncitingChaos you said it right, Atlanta was a perfect display of control of his voice. And I think the parts that translated would be OTGM, the LALD screams, WTTJ, etc... but yea if he'd worked with his vocal coach on the GNR set it could've been even better, like Houston '16 being the 'normal' level of performance.

Definately..look at the control from 3:30 on here. 

not even the slightest bit of strain in his facial reaction, he just knew he had it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stro said:

Naw man, '06-'07 was a great blend of styles. He had the signature rasp mixed with his '02 vocal style.

People can say what they want about 'Mickey', but in my opinion, what is worse is the vocal style of now. It's so fucking weak he sounds pathetic in comparison.

2001-2002 clean voice had power behind it! 

• Like 2