The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Let's be honest, Axl's voice just sounds awful and it doesn't get better as the tour goes on. It constantly awful from the first to the last show. We all just keep telling ourselves it's getting better.

I've realised that as I started getting more in to Meat Loaf lately. He lost his voice around 2010, even if he hasn't been great the years before either he was still good and the voice was there. When I started listening to his music and live performances and I first watched his "Guilty Pleasure" DVD from 2011, I thought it was awful. And it actually is. It just grew on me to that point now where I think "Oh it's actually quite good!". It just isn't and I know that. But I can watch and listen now without thinking "That's shit" and actually believing that it's good.

And before I got into Meat Loaf I thought the same about Axl. I thought "Oh that's actually a great vocal performance!". But when I watched a GNR live performance for the first time in a month I thought "It's honestly awful". I just got so used to his voice before that I actually believed myself when I thought it was good.

SOYL is decent. Not great, but decent. The rest (apart from songs like The Seeker, DTJ etc) is just utterly bad and we can keep telling ourselves that he gets better etc, deep inside we all know it's just not good.

• Like 4

On 12/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, HollyWoodRose84 said:

His singing isn’t rocket science guys. Just his approach is different than it was years ago. Watch his tongue positioning from now compared to years back. It’s pushed way more forward touching his bottom teeth and towards the bottom of his mouth. 

That’s interesting if he’s working on his technique, I think it correlates with new projects. But we’ll see on that. 

between :30-:40 here he’s holding those long notes really well and transitioning perfectly. 

Then 2:03-2:14 he does it even better and I’m not sure if it’s something he’s worked on or something where he’s just played the song a lot but it sounds better. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

That’s interesting if he’s working on his technique, I think it correlates with new projects. But we’ll see on that. 

between :30-:40 here he’s holding those long notes really well and transitioning perfectly. 

Then 2:03-2:14 he does it even better and I’m not sure if it’s something he’s worked on or something where he’s just played the song a lot but it sounds better. 

Unavailable due to a legal complain. Can some computer whiz hack those fucking bastards over at GNR Lies, delete their board, and load their computers full of viruses?

On 12/4/2018 at 9:58 PM, TheGeneral said:

Let's be honest, Axl's voice just sounds awful and it doesn't get better as the tour goes on. It constantly awful from the first to the last show. We all just keep telling ourselves it's getting better.

I've realised that as I started getting more in to Meat Loaf lately. He lost his voice around 2010...

My personal favourite vocal and show from Meat is the incredible Sydney Orchestra one from 2004. The absolute best Bat ever. He obviously didn't have the effortless power and range from back in the day but he was technically better and the sheer emotion and different melody lines he put into the "And i'm down at the bottom...." part were magic. But then there was a massive drop off on the 3 Bats live DVD from 2007. He didn't even have the screams on the album on The Monster Is Loose. Then it was a constant decline until that awful televised outdoor mini-set in Australia around 2013. When Steinman said he sounded "heroic in his ravaged voice" on the last record I thought he was being extremely generous. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

On 04/12/2018 at 7:58 PM, TheGeneral said:

I've realised that as I started getting more in to Meat Loaf lately. He lost his voice around 2010, even if he hasn't been great the years before either he was still good and the voice was there. When I started listening to his music and live performances and I first watched his "Guilty Pleasure" DVD from 2011, I thought it was awful. And it actually is. It just grew on me to that point now where I think "Oh it's actually quite good!". It just isn't and I know that. But I can watch and listen now without thinking "That's shit" and actually believing that it's good.

And before I got into Meat Loaf I thought the same about Axl. I thought "Oh that's actually a great vocal performance!". But when I watched a GNR live performance for the first time in a month I thought "It's honestly awful". I just got so used to his voice before that I actually believed myself when I thought it was good.

SOYL is decent. Not great, but decent. The rest (apart from songs like The Seeker, DTJ etc) is just utterly bad and we can keep telling ourselves that he gets better etc, deep inside we all know it's just not good.

Couldn't agree more. This whole "Axl gets better as the tour goes on" is one of the greatest lies Axl fans tell themselves. He is constantly bad. From day 1 to last day. There are some songs here and there and some concerts here and there that he probably feels good enough to try some rasp. But that's it. There's no coherent line of evolution and improvement.

Even if there was such improvement, it would go from absolute shit to less absolute shit. If someone thinks that's improvement, fine I guess lol.

Now if you compare his GNR performances to his ACDC performances, now that's clear improvement. With GNR he's far from giving his all to fans he loves so much. :lol:

• Like 2

I would say the mind set of Axl getting better as the tour goes on was true between 11-14. I remember 2013 he sounded awful in Australia then he gets to the states and starts sounding pretty damn good. But it felt like a build up each concert got better. Same in 14 he sounded awful until the middle to end of Vegas residency. 

Seemed like the more he sang the better.

then in 16 we had the NA tour which built up to Houston being the peak. We had never really seen Axl go on a tour like this since UYI so the argument could be made that following the touring with ACDC and NA tour of gnr that Axl’s wear/tear reached a peak. 

I’d say that he was vocally doing better when he was concentrated on technique and work with ACDC versus getting away from that and just showing up to the gnr tour later. Idk if he’s still engaged in vocal work but it would seem his voice in the higher register is nowhere near as strong as it was two years ago.

First time poster, long time gnr fan. I think the key moving forward, if that is what the band is going to do, is to rely more on Duff and Melissa as backup vocalists. I’ve been a huge Axl fan since the early 90s, but his voice sounds damaged at this point. Rest might help, but I’m not sure. It actually looks and sounds painful at times when I watch the recent live clips. 

I was just listening to Madagascar from the final NITL show, and there were some really good vocal moments (and really bad) and most of the good had Melissa’s voice layered in the mix. Even if he is able to get some power back, he would really benefit from singing more in a lower register, and let Melissa have the high. Duff also has a great voice that could take a little pressure off of Axl at times. This would allow him to reserve some energy for the “big” moments that the crowd expects. 

• GNFNR 1

Axl has his moments but overall he just sounds bad.. If he sounded anything like he does now back in the day, I wouldn't be a fan of the band.. He sounds good on It's So Easy, Wichita Lineman, Double Talkin Jive, Slither, Out Ta Get Me and Shadow for the most part. That is really it.. The rest is either Mickey, weird phrasing on verses, unnecessary weak vocals in PC and KOHD where it would sound better if he stuck to the basics, songs where he sounds good in some lines and bad in others or shitty in the verses and good onteh courses. There are shows where he sounds better than others but none are great, just good enough.  He isn't even close to the front man he used to be. He looks like a different person. I heard them on the radio yesterday comparing him to the throw mama from the train lady. His hats and elf boots look ridiculous. 

I would rather have this than NuGuns and as long as Slash is still in it, I am still in it but as far as Axl is concerned the Reunion was 10 years too late. 

• Like 1

I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s when I heard GNR live, Axl just sounded different than those recorded releases. I compared the two, but I never thought that one was better than the other...I loved both for what they were. It was a trip though. I always appreciated Guns live back then because anyone with eyes could see that Axl was working his ass off. I guess the man has always been incredible for so many reasons - He could do things that were unimaginable, and also seem so humanly flawed.

Discussing Axl's voice now is depressing in almost every sense. I'm in full sentimental mode now.

7 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s when I heard GNR live, Axl just sounded different than those recorded releases. I compared the two, but I never thought that one was better than the other...I loved both for what they were. It was a trip though. I always appreciated Guns live back then because anyone with eyes could see that Axl was working his ass off. I guess the man has always been incredible for so many reasons - He could do things that were unimaginable, and also seem so humanly flawed.

Discussing Axl's voice now is depressing in almost every sense. I'm in full sentimental mode now.

I feel you on that totally but I firmly believe that Axl's voice is not irreversibly damaged.  I think he needs 6 months to a year of vocal rest then start from there, whatever that entails.  But I think if Axl were to get into better physical shape that his voice would improve dramatically.  I think that's the most important thing really.  

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

I like to listen to Axl at the Rose Bar when I’m depressed. So many similarities to his voice in the 90’s here 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I feel you on that totally but I firmly believe that Axl's voice is not irreversibly damaged.  I think he needs 6 months to a year of vocal rest then start from there, whatever that entails.  But I think if Axl were to get into better physical shape that his voice would improve dramatically.  I think that's the most important thing really.  

I think getting into a good physical shape would make it a bit better, but honestly I think that doing AC/DC completely shot his voice... He was damaging it for 30 years and then he decided to do a massive tour over 2,5 years with at least 3 hours almost every night + 2 legs with acdc at the age of 54.. From the troubadour show on until Dubai in early March 2017 he didn't have a real break that was longer than a month or so, and then from May on until the end of November without a single break... I know he wanted this tour to be big and successful (and it was!) and he wanted to do ACDC, but a schedule like that, in two bands with amazingly difficult songs to sing, with barely any break is really a bit irresponsible, and when you're in your mid 50s your voice should definitely be permanently damaged 

• Like 2