Rate: Slash's playing on NITL vs UYI Tour

Which tour had the best Slash playing?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

there is one thing that really bothers me from last decade in slash'-s playing (i think he was doing this live with smkc...)

he is playing (or trying hard to play) the GNR solos NOTE FOR NOTE, which is bizarre since he NEVER did this on GNR. he always let loose and did minor and medium and sometimes big improvs on his solos. now he rarely does it (i remember a nightrain amazing improv solo when he broke one string on this tour)

the noodling is even worse, its fucking annoying 

Which era did you vote for? Appetite tour or Illusions tour? I remember you only liked 1991 from the Illusion tour right?

Slash sounded unbelievable in some of the bootlegs from the skin n' bones leg of the UYI tour in '93. 

34 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Which era did you vote for? Appetite tour or Illusions tour? I remember you only liked 1991 from the Illusion tour right?

Slash sounded unbelievable in some of the bootlegs from the skin n' bones leg of the UYI tour in '93. 

yeah i never cared much about skin n bones but maybe i should, you are correct, there is some great stuff from that era

my vote would be 1987'-1991

7 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah i never cared much about skin n bones but maybe i should, you are correct, there is some great stuff from that era

my vote would be 1987'-1991

Skin N' Bones doesn't have your favorite members Tracy, Roberta, and Teddy :lol:

7 hours ago, RONIN said:

Slash gets a lot of criticism for not being versatile. Some would say that he's a fairly generic player and his solos all sound similar. That he plays only in the pentatonic/blues scale. How would you address that? 

For reference, let's say a guitarist of versatility would be someone like Buckethead who can literally play any style of music.

Yes, Slash has a limited ability. There are things that he would either have to work his ass off to play, or things he simply could not do (not just talking about the usual rock guitar shred). And he is essentially playing the basics (bit very well), he's not exactly using jazz theory.

However, a lot of great players have had their limits or have been firmly rooted in one style of playing... It doesn't mean they are better or worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Skin N' Bones doesn't have your favorite members Tracy, Roberta, and Teddy :lol:

exactly! :rofl-lol:

but it has gilby!

cool player buut cant lick izzy's boots!

no izzy, no...

3 minutes ago, maynard said:

Maybe he should shred a little less but my god he's just so superior to BBFoot, Assba and other clowns who have worked for Axl... I'd take him in his shredding mode any day.

true!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pugachev said:

UYI, his tone then was just unbelievably good. Personally, just about everything about that tour was better. The slower tempo and arrangements of several of the songs was way better, particularly KOHD.

One of my biggest beefs is the sped up tempo on Estranged and November Rain, absolutely kills these songs for me, along with his weak ass, tinny sounding tone.

Another gripe is the just after the intro acoustic part to Civil War, he use to play it dirty which lead into the main rift and sounded pretty ballsy. Now, he plays that bit acoustic on his double neck and its just weak sounding. Not to mention the Voodoo Chile bits were more natural, not so robotic as someone else put it. Just doesn't feel like his heart and soul is in this band's music anymore.

I miss this tone and melodic playing :(

I came for the solo....but stayed for the whole song

#JustThatGood

• Like 1

Tough choice between UYI and NITL.

Voted UYI, but it was a close one.  He is technically better today, but I like the energy, improvisation, guitar tone and wildness of his UYI performances.

Edited by MisterNo

2 hours ago, maynard said:

Maybe he should shred a little less but my god he's just so superior to BBFoot, Assba and other clowns who have worked for Axl... I'd take him in his shredding mode any day. Plus he's an original member.

Sorry but do you mean superior, as in he fits better with how you like gnr to sound, or superior as a guitar player. If it's the latter,  we won't get into a pissing contest here, but we both know that both players can do tasteful solos, we also know both can play fast.... But we also know that Bumble has several other dimensions to his playing that Slash doesn't have. "I don't like tapping/shredding/sweeping/atonal runs etc." It doesn't matter, good is good... There's a reason why Bumble is so highly respected as a guitar player / musician (even before joining gnr). When Guthrie Govan gives you the nod, you're an exceptional player.

I take nothing away from Slash, he is also great and much more traditional in approach, but when you discuss Slash in the context of Bumblefoot or even a Buckethead and it's not a good Vs bad argument. All are great, but only one of them wrote your favourite guitar riffs/licks. End of the day, I prefer Slash, his style appeals to more on a everyday basis.

I won't argue about Ashba. I will defend Robin though, who may have been loose live, but he did write great parts in the studio.

Edited by Tom2112

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

there is one thing that really bothers me from last decade in slash'-s playing (i think he was doing this live with smkc...)

he is playing (or trying hard to play) the GNR solos NOTE FOR NOTE, which is bizarre since he NEVER did this on GNR. he always let loose and did minor and medium and sometimes big improvs on his solos. now he rarely does it (i remember a nightrain amazing improv solo when he broke one string on this tour)

the noodling is even worse, its fucking annoying 

That was the Detroit Nightrain. I was there... It was amazing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

When Guthrie Govan gives you the nod, you're an exceptional player.

That's all fine and good for the instrumental muso types. But neither of their own music is all that palatable to the average rock fan. And having him in the band felt like The Stones replacing Keef with Vai or Yngwie. It was overkill, and it did not work. That's not the approach that this type of music calls for.

• Like 1

I prefer Slash NITL version, because right now he seems like such accomplished player, i already prefer his solo for any CDs song, except maybe TIL because it was hard to beat anyway, but even on Buckethead signature song like TWAT he already own it, that TWAT solo on San Diego was demonic. 

Other reason i like him more now is because his willingness to let the rhythm player to sound louder in the mix, to compliment him more but in non obstructive way, and that's of course make the song overall sound better than before. 

I also love the double neck half acoustic on Civil War, this was good example of how he's was complete player. 

The only downside is probably why he randomly noodling on song like Yesterday, like damn Slash you were never famous for noodling, that is a ballad song, a song that you should shine the brightest, c'mon man you can up your level without trying to be anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Sorry but do you mean superior, as in he fits better with how you like gnr to sound, or superior as a guitar player. If it's the latter,  we won't get into a pissing contest here, but we both know that both players can do tasteful solos, we also know both can play fast.... But we also know that Bumble has several other dimensions to his playing that Slash doesn't have. "I don't like tapping/shredding/sweeping/atonal runs etc." It doesn't matter, good is good... There's a reason why Bumble is so highly respected as a guitar player / musician (even before joining gnr). When Guthrie Govan gives you the nod, you're an exceptional player.

I take nothing away from Slash, he is also great and much more traditional in approach, but when you discuss Slash in the context of Bumblefoot or even a Buckethead and it's not a good Vs bad argument. All are great, but only one of them wrote your favourite guitar riffs/licks. End of the day, I prefer Slash, his style appeals to more on a everyday basis.

I won't argue about Ashba. I will defend Robin though, who may have been loose live, but he did write great parts in the studio.

I love Robin but he sucked in GNR. His destructive heavy parts and beautiful ambient ones fit NIN much better. His solo on Better is awesome though.

Ron Thal is highly technical and a master at guitar playing. But technique doesn't make you a tasteful composer. Most of the shredders make unlistenable music. Slash is superior in the sense of knowing how to use his guitar to make pleasant sounds. Ron can play all Slash created with one hand but he can't write something as great as the Estranged lead, or the SCOM solo. His brain is programmed differently and his focus is not the melody. I know he has written melodic/non shredding music but that still pales compared to Slash.

Buckethead wrote music on par with Slash's.

Ashba has written some catchy stuff for Sixx AM but he's very limited.

Slash is the best option for GNR. Robin is my fav guitar player ever.

• Like 1

This one is better i believe, i like his tone especialy for nighttrain so much better ! Why can't he sound like this at guns ????!!! Still what i saw in Nijmegen is the best show i ever have seen, there killing it !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert39 said:

This one is better i believe, i like his tone especialy for nighttrain so much better ! Why can't he sound like this at guns ????!!! Still what i saw in Nijmegen is the best show i ever have seen, there killing it !!

why the fuck cant the axl aliens frank and richard JUST PLAY THE SONG RIGHT like these guys? tempo is a bit speedy but everything else except myles annoying voice sounds like nightrain!

2 hours ago, maynard said:

Ron can play all Slash created with one hand but he can't write something as great as the Estranged lead, or the SCOM solo. His brain is programmed differently and his focus is not the melody.

He couldn't even get thru the Slash solos he was hired to cover, without fitting a million notes into each of them

• Like 3

6 hours ago, maynard said:

I love Robin but he sucked in GNR. His destructive heavy parts and beautiful ambient ones fit NIN much better. His solo on Better is awesome though.

Ron Thal is highly technical and a master at guitar playing. But technique doesn't make you a tasteful composer. Most of the shredders make unlistenable music. Slash is superior in the sense of knowing how to use his guitar to make pleasant sounds. Ron can play all Slash created with one hand but he can't write something as great as the Estranged lead, or the SCOM solo. His brain is programmed differently and his focus is not the melody. I know he has written melodic/non shredding music but that still pales compared to Slash.

Buckethead wrote music on par with Slash's.

Ashba has written some catchy stuff for Sixx AM but he's very limited.

Slash is the best option for GNR. Robin is my fav guitar player ever.

I can agree with this. Ron definitely leans towards the experimental and sometimes that leads to beautiful music, and sometimes it means the melodic sensibilities that a typical GNR fan like you or I won't like where he's going. Never liked Ashba or his original material, always thought it was generic and obvious.

And I think you'd need to be taking a LOT of drugs if you didn't think Slash is the best fit for GNR :D 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:20 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I do think he was at his greatest on Appetite and the Appetite era - they all were - but in terms of technique you would probably cite Locomotive or Anastasia as his peak.

Isn't that how he came up with Anastasia?  Just freelancing into the God Father Theme?

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

He couldn't even get thru the Slash solos he was hired to cover, without fitting a million notes into each of them

Initially, yes, but from 2009 onwards he knuckled down on replicating the songs note for note, and that's what he did. 

11 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I can agree with this. Ron definitely leans towards the experimental and sometimes that leads to beautiful music, and sometimes it means the melodic sensibilities that a typical GNR fan like you or I won't like where he's going. Never liked Ashba or his original material, always thought it was generic and obvious.

And I think you'd need to be taking a LOT of drugs if you didn't think Slash is the best fit for GNR :D 

Following on from what I was saying to Moreblack, personally I thought it was the most interesting when he just went wild over the songs. I remember the solo on You Could Be Mine in Glasgow '06, he ran out to the front of the ramp, threw himself down on his knees and just went for it, most rock and roll moment of the whole show. The solo on Nightrain at Rock Am Ring is another brilliant example of Ron's maverick playing coming together beautifully with the song.

• Like 1