Rate: Slash's playing on NITL vs UYI Tour

Which tour had the best Slash playing?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@ludurigan brought up an interesting point about Slash noodling a lot on these NITL shows.

Has Slash's improv ability weakened with time even though he's a better technical player now? 

Do you feel that drunk, strung out Slash on UYI was legendary and nothing will compare?

I did happen to notice this "noodling" a bit when he plays "Sorry" and other chinese democracy songs like TIL, Catcher in the Rye, etc. 

Agree/Disagree?

Edited by RONIN

4 minutes ago, moreblack said:

He's playing like he's the only one he has to satisfy these days. There's freedom to explore with that mindset. Whether listeners come along for the ride or not, that's their problem.

Actually you can also use this reason to defend how Axl singing and/or even how Fortus and Frank interpret the song which is almost everybody here whine about.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Actually you can also use this reason to defend how Axl singing and/or even how Fortus and Frank interpret the song which is almost everybody here whine about.

Go for it. I don't know what their reasons are, but I can appreciate where Slash is coming from playing-wise.

Edited by moreblack

I will quote El Chapo from July 6th

To me, his most inspired and interesting playing can be heard on the Illusion Albums and the Illusion tour. 

In general, he certainly is a lot better now in terms of technique but to my ears he lost a bit of balance between pure, raw emotion and technical playing.

I do understand why UYI Slash is known as drunk Slash but I don't believe that that was the sole reason why his playing seems so much more 'genuine' and 'original' (yes I know Slash may be described as anything but original).

I'm 23 years old and I have seen Slash ten times between 2010 and now so I have never witnessed my favorite era of my favorite musician. I have only seen the "master of his craft" Slash and yes, he is unbelievable. BUT, listening to him play Guns N' Roses songs in the 1990s on YouTube makes me feel a certain way that I have never found while watching this man play while standing 10 feet in front of me. He was able to reach certain places that I have not heard out of him since and believe me, the amount of hours I have spent listening to this guy is up there. He doesn't have that raw emotion in anywhere near the capacity that he once did. It's still there, but back in the 90s it could happen at any time. Now, you pretty much know when you're going to see it. (Estranged solos, Coma riffs and solo, Nightrain solo, you get it)

Maybe it's because he was young and inspired by his bandmates and the future they had ahead of him. Maybe it is because he was still new to playing the music. But it isn't. With VR, SMKC, etc, and their respective songs Slash just does not improvise and add things in the same way that he used to. And to me, it is not as nice to listen to. I also believe that the level of songwriting was superior in GNR than in anything since and Slash's guitar playing is a representation of that. It was taken to those heights by those around him and sounds better to us as fans because we look at that time as the gold standard.

Anyway, thanks just my opinion man

IMG_5860

Edited by Jadeder

Apollo theater in New York! IMO Slash played the most beautiful solo of the tour at this show. Every night is different with him. That's why he's a legend. Like Hendrix, every show, he pushes himself to new heights. Incredibly inspirational to play with, because it drives me as well. truly an honor - Richard Fortus

• Like 1

I agree, on some songs there could be some less noodling but overall he's doing a hell of a job on this tour.

I think his best live playing ever was with the Conspiritors even when there might was more fire in his playing during the Illusions tour. With the Conspiritors he nailed everything, that was awesome.

In the 90's I disliked him extending the songs like Patience and KOHD. Much too overblown.

I really loved them in the 80's though. Brief and to the point. 

So in every point of his career it was always something special watching him playing a liveshow. For different reasons.

I love his NITL rendition of Speak Softly, Love with the intro playing like on a mandoline and Jonnhy B Good before but there was more passion in this here:

• Like 1

Slash is the person that is carrying this tour and he is terrific. Without him, they would not be the biggest live act in the world right now.That being said, I would take younger Slash in a heart beat. There was so much "danger" in his playing and he was less robotic. Another thing that his missing is that incredible tone he used to have.

• Like 1

I'll take UYI Slash just because I don't too much care about technique and hitting the perfect notes and all that jazz. I'll take loose and crazy and raw over perfect technique all day.

Having said that, I do think he's sounding great on this tour and sounds more like, a master of his craft. He really sounds like a guy who has been playing guitar for 35 years or so. And if he did cut back on some of his noodling I wouldn't mind. I like what he does, but I don't need it on every other song. Not knocking him at all though, he's fucking killing it.

I think in terms of raw, emotive guitar playing, then 87-93 Slash is your man. In terms of techinal brilliance and absolute master of his craft, then his solo album/tour and SMKC/tours Slash is your man, particularly live. It's entirely subjective which you prefer, but as a guitarist myself who has studied Slash and his entire career, and who is no real fan of punk rock music/aesthetics, especially not sloppy guitar playing, I'd take 2010-2015 Slash any day of the week.

19 minutes ago, SevenMichaels said:

I think in terms of raw, emotive guitar playing, then 87-93 Slash is your man. In terms of techinal brilliance and absolute master of his craft, then his solo album/tour and SMKC/tours Slash is your man, particularly live. It's entirely subjective which you prefer, but as a guitarist myself who has studied Slash and his entire career, and who is no real fan of punk rock music/aesthetics, especially not sloppy guitar playing, I'd take 2010-2015 Slash any day of the week.

So do you feel Slash is off his game in GnR right now or that he's simply peaked between 2010-2015? 

21 minutes ago, RONIN said:

So do you feel Slash is off his game in GnR right now or that he's simply peaked between 2010-2015? 

I wouldn't say he is off his game on this tour whatsoever, he is the star attraction imo and is playing excellently for the most part, I also do not feel he has peaked either as when he returns to SMKC he will step it back up another level, as I feel it is clear he is at his absolute best when performing original material.

25 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

How could anyone argue other than Slash playing the best on the NITL tour? He is technically superior in every way and is not fucked up on drugs every second night.

How many SMKC shows have you been to/watched on YouTube? On the basis of that statement, sweet fuck all. 

12 minutes ago, Marie82 said:

NITL for me. He's killing it every show without drugs or alcohol. Still the best.

Still the best, but not at his best.

Voted for UYI.  Not sure if it was the substances though.  On NITL he does seem to be pushing himself technically, but in exploring these new areas sometimes he's plying the licks of someone who's new to those areas.  Which makes sense, but its not mastered imo.

Very rare for a legend like Slash to continue to take  his playing  to another Level but he has - I seen the appetite era live - Raw in your face -blues based aerosmith on steroids - HE was a wizard at 18 years old -  UYI era put him into the virtuoso stage - he can play anything - blues - thrash - classical  Slash never stayed stale with his playing - the improvs are amazing - his take on his songs extended live were amazing - his whammy bar pyrotechnics were introduced to us fans along this time - he kills it and the wah wah pedal mastery came after afd  albeit MR BROWNSTONE - besides JIMI Hendrix Nobody can express their self with that pedal as great as those two - Slash's tone was mean as fuck - he can kill a voicebox as well - listen to lower on the first snakepit album and anything goes holy shit fat thick and mean as fuck  - afd was a tease to how good Slash was becoming - the riffs on both snakepit records are so fucking jacked - In your face - all great bands have a groove - SLASH has been the groove from day 1 - VR - contraband -  motherfucking Slither - damn perfection - fall to pieces not a band song on the album - groove riffs once again see a pattern the man is a beast - SMKC anastasia - shots fired - withered deliah - wicked stone - beneath the savage sun - up to now- Slash has taken all that I have told YOU  and took it to another level  live on this tour -  The songs are thick as fuck live - his mean ass tone is still there - the tone changes when he switches guitars  after songs - it is all great - he is playing out of his mind right now and 52 years old - he is one of the best guitar players in the world still - he can shred-  he can play the blues - he plays classical - he uses harmonics- he crushes scales- his arpeggios are killer - his vibrato is amazing - the definition of a virtuoso - go to a show I am going again in two weeks in winston salem NC - already seen him in Nashville last year on this tour - and now I have tickets for the Louisville , Ky gig - Slash hasn't lost anything - SLASH is carrying this tour with his playing - SLASH IS PLAYING AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL RIGHT  NOW - if u get the chance go to a gig  do not sit around guess - go and  see it for yourself -the wizard- the cat in the top hat is bringing it everynight - ENJOY IT - he is a master of the six string 

Edited by TMAC20
  • Like 4