the doors

action

there is not enough "doors" love around here.

this surprises me. jim made ranting cool when Axl was still singing in church choirs. I find their music incredibly satisfying, and pretty much suits every mood i'm in.

when i dont know what to play, i play the doors. there is something for everyone here, all great stuff. for balls out hard rock, check roadhouse blues, the wasp, maggie mgill, been down so long (my 4 year old song loves this song). for emotional episodes, see tell all the people, wishfull sinfull, crystal ship. for crazyness, see you make me real, peace frog, the soft parade.

unlike, say, led zeppelin, i rarely skip a song. and unlike aerosmith, their songs are easy listenable. they're a lot like the stones in that regard; another band you can play any time.

• Like 2

The Doors are one band even my wife and young daughters like listening to as they generally are not fans of some of my music.

I highly recommend the following official live releases if you can find them and like live shows.....

Live in Detroit 1970........... Jim is very mellow and dark in this concert but the performance is stellar. One of the best versions of "the End" I have heard. Sadly this is now OOP and getting expensive on the used market but worth the search for a reasonably priced copy.

http://www.rhino.com/product/live-in-detroit

Live in New York Felt Forum 1970- this is a 6CD box set with 4 complete shows from NYC.  Jim is full of energy and in fine form but again this is OOP on CD so is very expensive. You can still get one of the shows on vinyl at a reasonable price and it sounds outstanding

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_26?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=the+doors+live+in+new+york+felt+forum&sprefix=The+Doors+live+in+NEw+York%2Caps%2C146&crid=11OBX9WP36AUD

Live at the Aquarius 1969 2- different CD sets of the first and second  shows..........again these are OOP so are getting expensive but great performances as Jim is sober and full of energy.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=th+doors+live+at+the+Aquarius&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Ath+doors+live+at+the+Aquarius

They also recently released the complete 1968 Hollywood Bowl show which is excellent and still in print so not so expensive

https://www.amazon.com/Live-At-Bowl-68-Doors/dp/B0090SVDO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1502284984&sr=1-1&keywords=the+doors+live+at+the+hollywood+bowl

Edited by classicrawker

They were great. Their replay value is crazy good. Been listening to them since I first got into music and can still listen to anything when it comes on without feeling like I've heard it a million times (even though I have).

Of course Jim is a legendary frontman, but the band was no joke. They took the music to a lot of places with just drums a guitar and keyboard. Manzarek always stood out to me, I like his style.

Edited by J Dog

Fantastic band, Morrison was a fuckin' nutbag, Manzarek really went places with that organ and filled a lot of gaps, seeing as they had no bass player to speak of, Krieger was fuckin' brilliant, all fingers and spanish guitar playing, never used a pick.  And Densmore well, there's a fuckin' jazz drummer with some serious skill.  Morrison was about the most original frontman of all time cuz, well, there's a prescedent for everyone, isn't there?  There's a precedent for Jagger, who constructed the frontman archetype, he's called James Brown...who the fuck preceded Morrison in what he was doing?  And whose done anything like it since?  There's a distinct tone post his death that he was just this pissed up mongo that just rambled a load of bollocks and fair dues some of his poetry was a bit thin but in a strictly rock lyrics context (though i quite enjoyed some his poetry, his notes on cinema are fantastic but then he was a film student) he was fuckin' brilliant.  And the way he commanded the stage, like some kind of fuckin' feline native American witch doctor, Morrison was the fuckin' bollocks man.

And he was getting really good with age too, LA Woman, he's all fuckin' throaty and bluesy, probably a consequence of necking fuckin' neat spirits half his life, the mad cunt.  I love their song Rock is Dead, thats a fuckin' belter of an improv, a band with amazing fuckin' chemistry, for as long as Morrisons lyrics were around to inspire their collective playing they fuckin' magic.  Big influence on a lot of people, Iggy Pop for instance.  In fact Iggy was bandied around as a replacement for Morrison after his death but Ig' was too sharp to fuckin' take that poisoned chalice on.

• Like 2

went to see Robby Kreiger in a small tavern, Bull Run, several month's ago and he had a young guy with him singing Doors songs who was awful.......I commented to my buddy that he had to be related to Robby and sure enough the waitress told us it was Robby's son......Robby can still play but his son is a bad singer........

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Fantastic band, Morrison was a fuckin' nutbag, Manzarek really went places with that organ and filled a lot of gaps, seeing as they had no bass player to speak of, Krieger was fuckin' brilliant, all fingers and spanish guitar playing, never used a pick.  And Densmore well, there's a fuckin' jazz drummer with some serious skill.  Morrison was about the most original frontman of all time cuz, well, there's a prescedent for everyone, isn't there?  There's a precedent for Jagger, who constructed the frontman archetype, he's called James Brown...who the fuck preceded Morrison in what he was doing?  And whose done anything like it since?  There's a distinct tone post his death that he was just this pissed up mongo that just rambled a load of bollocks and fair dues some of his poetry was a bit thin but in a strictly rock lyrics context (though i quite enjoyed some his poetry, his notes on cinema are fantastic but then he was a film student) he was fuckin' brilliant.  And the way he commanded the stage, like some kind of fuckin' feline native American witch doctor, Morrison was the fuckin' bollocks man.

And he was getting really good with age too, LA Woman, he's all fuckin' throaty and bluesy, probably a consequence of necking fuckin' neat spirits half his life, the mad cunt.  I love their song Rock is Dead, thats a fuckin' belter of an improv, a band with amazing fuckin' chemistry, for as long as Morrisons lyrics were around to inspire their collective playing they fuckin' magic.  Big influence on a lot of people, Iggy Pop for instance.  In fact Iggy was bandied around as a replacement for Morrison after his death but Ig' was too sharp to fuckin' take that poisoned chalice on.

Brilliant. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

the new blu ray release of the isle of wight concert is brilliant, short as it is. Roadhouse blues is worth the price of admission (though sadly no video footage of the performance of that song in particular, its just shots of the public), and the whole concert is just pure epicness. People may say they looked and sounded tired, but i disagree. it oozes charisma. brilliant release and i'm happy to have it in my collection.

Edited by action

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 6:44 PM, Len Cnut said:

That is excellent insight. I agree he didn’t have anyone to model himself after. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2017 at 7:44 PM, Len Cnut said:

I would say there's only a very small number of people who captured what Jim was all about, in different ways, after he was gone: Iggy Pop, Jim Carroll, Patti Smith, and Kurt Cobain. No one else really. Some might've aped his vocal style or mannerisms better but those four are the only ones who came close to what he was about as a human being and rockstar, and even then, each one isn't the full picture, only aspects, Iggy the attitude, Jim the poet, Patti the rebel, Kurt the tortured soul.

I agree too he was getting better as he was getting on. The band was getting tighter and tighter too. I mean Morrison Hotel and LA Woman - that's an amazing back to back set of releases. They were so prolific, I mean, two albums in 67 and then one every single year without fail after - that's talent. And most of Morrison Hotel and LA Woman recorded while Jim was on trial and then convicted and waiting for an appeal - some bands would crumble with their lead singer looking at jail time, they put out their best record instead. LA Woman was recorded all live too you know. Very few overdubs, the main music recorded all in one room. They were one of the last American bands that played the blues that actually lived and breathed the blues. All the later guys like Aerosmith might've sounded "bluesy" but no soul. 

52 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

I would say there's only a very small number of people who captured what Jim was all about, in different ways, after he was gone: Iggy Pop, Jim Carroll, Patti Smith, and Kurt Cobain. No one else really. Some might've aped his vocal style or mannerisms better but those four are the only ones who came close to what he was about as a human being and rockstar, and even then, each one isn't the full picture, only aspects, Iggy the attitude, Jim the poet, Patti the rebel, Kurt the tortured soul.

I dont think any of those people really have what Morrison had.  Iggy maybe, in terms of the confrontational performance aspect though in a much more severe way.  Morrison was a thousand times brighter than Kurt Cobain, had way too much sense of humour to be anything like Patti Smith and Jim Carroll I’ve never really thought much of.

I don’t really think people should be used as benchmarks like that either, I’m not sure whats achieved by it.  I struggle with these comparisons to be honest because they necessarily require you to make these very reductive assessments that aren’t really in aid of anything, I just did it up there :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, action said:

this was a thing apparently

cringeworthy does not begin to describe it. Ian is a great singer, but suffering a bit from the "DJ Ashba" syndrome I guess.

Sorta like Queen touring with Paul Rodgers and that  TV talent show winner recently...but I will tell you it is not as bad as when I saw Robbie Kriegers band this past year  at  small Inn here in Massachusetts.

He  played all Doors songs and had a young guy singing for him who was absolutely terrible. I had no idea who the singer was but turned to my buddy and said he must be related to Krieger  somehow and sure enough it turns out it was his son...we all had a good laugh............

Edited by classicrawker

1 minute ago, classicrawker said:

Sorta like Queen touring with Paul Rodgers and tht talent show winner recently...but I will tell you not as bad as when I saw Robbie Kriegers band this past year  at  small in here in Massachusetts.

He  played all Doors songs and had a young guy singing for him who was absolutely terrible. I had no idea who the singer was but turned to my buddy and said he must be related to Krieger  somehow and sure enough it turns out it was his son...we all had a good laugh............

Queen, for the longest time, was my favorite band ever but I find it hard to take them serious these days. paul rodgers, but especially adam lambert have really damaged their credibility. I mean, laying in a purple couch on stage, riding a bike... what the fuck. that is wrong on so many levels. it's almost clownesque