How we got Slash to break his no photos with fans rule in Buffalo!

1 hour ago, Subtle Signs said:

Yeah Slash looks really uncomfortable here. He talked with us for a bit,signed a few things, thanked the fans for coming from so far away. I know you are probably just trying to keep up with your PUNK RAWK persona but if it makes someone happy to do this ,why do you care? I'll take the picture and frame it along with the ones I have with like 17 other GN'R members,look at it and smile and think of all the new friends I made and Countries/States I saw doing stuff like this.

I weren't talkin' about you, didn't know you had a photo done with him, I'm talkin' about my personal feeling on the shit and why I'd never wanna do it but you ain't me and you don't think or feel like me so, y'know, good luck to ya, thats just always been my response to that shit, it weren't some kinda subliminal to you, if i wanted to call you a cunt I'd just do it.  And hey, perhaps that shit says more about me than it does about you, some kinda insecurity maybe, that I can't get my picture taken with some guy without feeling like it makes me a bitch or something, or that I fancy myself so much that I'm all sensitive about the possibility of getting refused, you could read a lot into that shit, don't take it personal fella.  Or girl.  That gender shit ain't showin' up there, sorry.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I weren't talkin' about you, didn't know you had a photo done with him, I'm talkin' about my personal feeling on the shit and why I'd never wanna do it but you ain't me and you don't think or feel like me so, y'know, good luck to ya, thats just always been my response to that shit, it weren't some kinda subliminal to you, if i wanted to call you a cunt I'd just do it.  And hey, perhaps that shit says more about me than it does about you, some kinda insecurity maybe, that I can't get my picture taken with some guy without feeling like it makes me a bitch or something, or that I fancy myself so much that I'm all sensitive about the possibility of getting refused, you could read a lot into that shit, don't take it personal fella.  Or girl.  That gender shit ain't showin' up there, sorry.

I find it sort of subservient and demeaning, desiring a picture or an autograph.

• Like 1

Oh I didn't know the fan pics from his solo tour were from VIP passes. In that case I understand why he's uncomfoetable taking random pics out in public. Idk how Id feel in those shoes personally, but it's understandable. if celebs wanna be left alone out in public, they have the right to be left alone.

that being said, it's cool u got another pic to add to your collection.

Edited by rocknroll41

I do a side gig with the Blackhawks in Chicago and these guys get mobbed all the time around town and on the road. I have to work with them at the fan convention and they hate it, but also realize it's kind of part of the job. Its when the same people are there every practice and games that really bother them cause they know whatever they sign is going on Ebay. Travel and 3 hr shows takes it out of you, so I can see why Slash would get frustrated with all of it. It is kind of odd that he will take time to sign autos but won't take pictures since he's already setting time aside for the fans to sign anyway, but thats his right. Doesn't Axl either sign or take a pic but not both? 

Edited by GoBucky

8 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I met/have pics with Axl,Slash,Duff,Adler,Dizzy,Matt, ,Tommy,Brain,Melissa,Fortus,Josh Freese, Pitman,Dj Ashba, Bumblefoot and Frank. I also met Gilby and Tracii Guns but have no photos with them just autographs. 

I see a future for you on America's Most Wanted :lol:  Jk, whatever makes you happy. I just don't understand the personal intrusion or human worship. We don't know them , they don't know us, not even as a pre teen girl would I have lowered myself to ask for a photo with a singer and I met some by chance or whatever through the years . One singer took my concert tee and just signed it right on the front  image and I was a little annoyed but he probably was just used to it I guess. The only signatures I've ever requested was at a few book signings of rare academics or rev figures like Betty Friedan but that's private , inside a book.  These guys are just people, I've seen fanatics tattoo AXl or Slash's signatures on their bodies, that's pretty unsettling. It's some attachment to brand and trying to get an identity or any proximity to fame or self worth , worship for the sake or worship. Yeah I would think it was great to have a conversation with Izzy or Adler or Axl etc because of their musical knowledge but I don't want to know the details of their personal lives . I preferred the days of the rare news in a magazine.  If they wanted to tell us something about the music or whatever that would be cool but it's kind of undignified to force oneself upon others.  This whole thing is not at all geared towards you , just chiming into the conversation because it's something that's always been disturbing to me, manufactured worship based on class, these bands and celebs are useful to prime the masses in that direction but that's getting into something else 

Ok I do have to add something, some of these celeb types that crap on people are trash so I absolutely am not defending that.  That cow oprah clutched her pearls and rolled her limo window up on a neighbor who was all excited to see her (god only knows why) and it sickened me how she treated him like some lesser being. At the same time, people like Muhammad Ali who always let it be known he was a people's champion, deserve a lot of respect.  I don't think musicians for the most part should be expected to do much on a one to one basis although they should be quietly contributing to just causes. But let's be honest, there are some very greedy bastards that dont give a f and then some who are just cut from a different cloth, more conscience.  To do things like charge for a meet and greet is so grotesque and a complete act of humiliation which no one should participate in. The band performs, you see and listen, and then you go on, maybe they want to go eat ice cream or lift weights and are just done with work .

One other reason I have no interest in meet and greets/autographs/photos, besides the above I stated, I finding it somewhat humiliating, is exactly a situation like this. Without commenting on the rights and wrongs of Slash's actions, I do not think I could ever put myself in a position where somebody I admire - Neil Young say - is a complete wank stain (towards me). There are pubs and restaurants for instance I refuse to go into because of a poor customer service experience x number of years ago. Apply this to someone I admire. I saw some poor kid by the way trying to get a shirt signed by Ben Stokes and get completely snubbed; you cannot remove these experiences; it does affect your impression on them.

Nope, best not to bother.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I can understand if you're a kid or whatever but as an adult why you on anyones dick that much to wanna get your pic taken with em?  What you gonna do with it?  I mean there's two possible answers right, yes or no, if you're that bothered about the prospect of getting turned down why bother asking in the first place.  You like their songs, great...why does that suddenly extend to a desire to get a picture standing next to them like he's you're fuckin' in law or something?  You know the cunts are only doing it, if they do it at all, out of some sort of weird feeling of obligation and don't know you from fuckin' adam anyway so who cares?  These things generally tend to look uncomfortable.

I love a million bands and singers, never once occured to me to get my photo taken with em but then thats just me :shrugs:

I'm weird

11 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I met/have pics with Axl,Slash,Duff,Adler,Dizzy,Matt, ,Tommy,Brain,Melissa,Fortus,Josh Freese, Pitman,Dj Ashba, Bumblefoot and Frank. I also met Gilby and Tracii Guns but have no photos with them just autographs. 

Mr. Buckethead, mr. Paul Tobias, mr. Robin finck or bust. 

There are a few great stories with Bob Dylan. Like, fans wait outside his hotel, Dylan comes out and a fan hands him an album to sign; Dylan takes it, looks at it, says "I've seen this before" and gives it back :lol:

2 hours ago, Pishy said:

To do things like charge for a meet and greet is so grotesque and a complete act of humiliation which no one should participate in. The band performs, you see and listen, and then you go on, maybe they want to go eat ice cream or lift weights and are just done with work .

I agree, this is a disgrace (as well as "ViP" packages in rock concerts in general) - worse than selling, say, towels with the band's logo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

One other reason I have no interest in meet and greets/autographs/photos, besides the above I stated, I finding it somewhat humiliating, is exactly a situation like this. Without commenting on the rights and wrongs of Slash's actions, I do not think I could ever put myself in a position where somebody I admire - Neil Young say - is a complete wank stain (towards me). There are pubs and restaurants for instance I refuse to go into because of a poor customer service experience x number of years ago. Apply this to someone I admire. I saw some poor kid by the way trying to get a shirt signed by Ben Stokes and get completely snubbed; you cannot remove these experiences; it does affect your impression on them.

Nope, best not to bother.

Why should being turned down for a picture or autograph  (as an adult,I can see it upsetting a kid) have any bearing on how much of a fan you are of an artist? Axl turned me down when we had him two on one last year in Toronto. That didn't make me any less of a fan. If Neil Young told you to piss off ,why would you enjoy his music  any less?

8 hours ago, GoBucky said:

I do a side gig with the Blackhawks in Chicago and these guys get mobbed all the time around town and on the road. I have to work with them at the fan convention and they hate it, but also realize it's kind of part of the job. Its when the same people are there every practice and games that really bother them cause they know whatever they sign is going on Ebay. Travel and 3 hr shows takes it out of you, so I can see why Slash would get frustrated with all of it. It is kind of odd that he will take time to sign autos but won't take pictures since he's already setting time aside for the fans to sign anyway, but thats his right. Doesn't Axl either sign or take a pic but not both? 

I guess it'd really suck for them if they had to go into the real world or the armed forces where people's lives are on the line yet they make little money and aren't asked for pics and autographs. Yes it probably gets old but it comes with the territory of being famous. Axl does what Axl wants. I've seen him just sign,just take pics and do both.

2 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

Why should being turned down for a picture or autograph  (as an adult,I can see it upsetting a kid) have any bearing on how much of a fan you are of an artist? Axl turned me down when we had him two on one last year in Toronto. That didn't make me any less of a fan. If Neil Young told you to piss off ,why would you enjoy his music  any less?

I think for those of us not keen on photos/autographs/meets, it's partly because we already have some trouble with the idea of a power differential. You are not less valuable than these musicians you are taking photos with, you may think ok, I'll try next time, but for me, it would taint how I viewed them, better not to know or keep it separate. It's not that I would cry because the clown didn't squirt me with his water flower and my feelings would be hurt like a kid, I would be a little grossed out I guess, maybe think they're not so cool. I get it, they don't want to bothered which is fine. I respect their talent and work and love their music but what the hell is charging someone to meet you? Not Michael Jackson nor Freddie Mercury nor Elvis did shit like that, it's almost cruel to take advantage of someone who admires you. It's not like we are oil sheikhs who are throwing down a mil for a private performance in our living rooms (also gross), it's a hello!  

Edited by Pishy

Hahahaha! I just googled musicians who charge for meet and greets and look at the list of losers, I wouldn't meet any of them if they paid me, their "music" has polluted the earth enough.  

• Lady Gaga, $1500. Meeting Mother Monster isn't cheap, but the meet-and-greet package on her ARTPOP Tour sounds like a pretty amazing experience. ... 
  • Jennifer Lopez, $1600. ... 
  • Beyonce, $1700. ... 
  • Madonna, $1800. ... 
  • Justin Bieber, $2000. ... 
  • Demi Lovato, $6000. ... 
  • Demi Lovato & Nick Jonas, $10,000.

On our trips to Nepal and Java, my girlfriend and I were constantly asked to take pictures with people. That left a lasting impression of how it must feel to be a celebrity and be raided by fans, so I do sympathize. Still I guess it's in the nature of the beast of how one reacts to it. One can still be polite.

Edited by The Black

6 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

Technically it wouldn't (lessen one's enjoyment) but I can envision a scenario where I call the guy a complete wanker and chuck a few of those albums in the bin haha.

Poor Neil, who I just used as an excuse here - he is actually very good with his fans.

PS

I am talking about a scenario when somebody tells you to 'fuck off' here, and not merely a snub or a refusal.

6 hours ago, Pishy said:

Hahahaha! I just googled musicians who charge for meet and greets and look at the list of losers, I wouldn't meet any of them if they paid me, their "music" has polluted the earth enough.  

• Lady Gaga, $1500. Meeting Mother Monster isn't cheap, but the meet-and-greet package on her ARTPOP Tour sounds like a pretty amazing experience. ... 
  • Jennifer Lopez, $1600. ... 
  • Beyonce, $1700. ... 
  • Madonna, $1800. ... 
  • Justin Bieber, $2000. ... 
  • Demi Lovato, $6000. ... 
  • Demi Lovato & Nick Jonas, $10,000.

That's repulsive! Who would pay that much just to shake a person's hand and take a picture and get some shit signed or whatever?!

• Like 1