MyGNR

Graeme

I just went onto http://www.mygnr.com/. It's strange because it's in the name of the forum, but I'd almost totally forgotten that the "main website" existed, what an odd relic it is, like a wee world that time forgot. Still stuck in 2010 (and even by 2010's standards it was pretty dated).

It's weird to think just how much this forum has become its own entity and now exists pretty much independently of a defunct parent site.

When Eric sold the forum, he kept mygnr.com. I recollect that he was considering updating it for the reunion, because presumably it still does well on Google rankings. In hindsight, it would have been better for us all if mygnr.com came with the forum- even if we just redirected the URL to the forum. 

I used to enjoy downloading all the desktop wallpapers from that site. 

Lots of Guns N' Roses fan sites have come and gone from that era, it's nice that we have this little legacy to show the young 'uns exactly what it was like being a GN'R fan, pre Chinese Democracy. When all we had was a few 2001 appearances and some low-resolution wallpapers 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Why did Eric even bother keeping it? Dumb

Ad Revenue I'd guess, from just typing Guns N' Roses or Guns N' Roses forum into google.

Surely a few pages that redirect to other sites and doesn't get updated doesn't cost that much to keep online?

Edited by AtariLegend

17 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Ad Revenue I'd guess, from just typing Guns N' Roses or Guns N' Roses forum into google.

Surely a few pages that redirect to other sites and doesn't get updated doesn't cost that much to keep online?

That's right. If it's still profitable, it doesn't make sense to pull it offline.

On 9/18/2017 at 12:17 PM, Gracii Guns said:

When Eric sold the forum, he kept mygnr.com. I recollect that he was considering updating it for the reunion, because presumably it still does well on Google rankings. In hindsight, it would have been better for us all if mygnr.com came with the forum- even if we just redirected the URL to the forum. 

I used to enjoy downloading all the desktop wallpapers from that site. 

Lots of Guns N' Roses fan sites have come and gone from that era, it's nice that we have this little legacy to show the young 'uns exactly what it was like being a GN'R fan, pre Chinese Democracy. When all we had was a few 2001 appearances and some low-resolution wallpapers 

In reality I think he just really liked the ad-money. Income without effort. It's still very high in searches so it's a fair lot of revenue. Even though it's shit. 

9 hours ago, username said:

In reality I think he just really liked the ad-money. Income without effort. It's still very high in searches so it's a fair lot of revenue. Even though it's shit. 

Remember he artificially inflated his own post count to something ridiculous like 19,000...? Bit embarrassing really.

16 hours ago, Graeme said:

Remember he artificially inflated his own post count to something ridiculous like 19,000...? Bit embarrassing really.

He also had lots of fake warning points. This was revealed during a forum upgrade, where all the styling was stripped, and we could see stuff like that. 

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

He also had lots of fake warning points. This was revealed during a forum upgrade, where all the styling was stripped, and we could see stuff like that. 

How odd. I remember thinking of him as a kind of respectable leader of the community back after I first joined, but it became apparent that he couldn't really care less about this place and the people who actually made it what it is.