07/21/18 - Gothenburg, Sweden - Ullevi Stadium

downzy

2 hours ago, Modano09 said:

My uneducated guess is that "sound check" is literally just that. They're doing it to check the sound so they roll through some easy songs and maybe throw in something they want a little extra practice on. 

Some of those are songs involving the whole band, that's also probably why (they all get to check on balance, feedback etc.) + I guess also check the rest of the show (screens, lightning)

Personally, I also liked the Expressen GT poster that was handed out outside the stadium before the gig because of the yellow news paperish quality, but also because that picture was taken at the show at Soldier Field in Chicago on the 3rd of July 2016, which I also attended...

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATE0YzUwLWUxMjEtOGNkZAAtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADMrf%2B%2FaqCdEKQ%2FBesq1T22QcAqAT3QYbe602Tjvh%2FkjKz8AAAAgEMAAAAqAT3QYbe602Tjvh%2FkjKz8AAB6suYnAAAAAESABAA0En2SVUcrE6JLLtJNgr44Q%3D%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=bl_pKrN_40-Ne4887PFU4qBbLINv8NUYch0IioLOD-vam63f1oze40lj-1XlHua41R5ZUeXaQTI.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.fDOXbc-0ZRaRWOlKr_S-nvxTHvaRgcfgNtj9m8-zGZrq5iWuVQZso84DGRJkRSUs96OM0YRuvz3fiKbK7XDMG8o7QnlPJEEDjeAMzZTvGi6C5mv8EShnB_1CwG9Okjk444rHPj-k-7F4TseLqGLjqhs5PDQEZqW0HIrBvCjqNDs6cpE5J9lFJzR4rqVIw0M31lPVIxNM2nW6XuIwrqIqCMCm8Y-wrGOiRrBDIO_Svol-7RdJHM6JNM3wpxkYGw6_yTdKTpnZj5gRkCuLKfpopaTPcC8NUvjHqAIU6CN4cvHo84_Qtz7A2X5f_qv79MukbsLa22P0Ie8fSAbOAHl-7g&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

Edited by JY2016

6 hours ago, MattleyCrue said:

Weird question. Why do they always sound check the same songs? Typically it’s so easy, rocket queen, estranged, duffs solo spot, civil war and maybe a Chinese song. Why the same ones?!

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

its called auto-pilot

I think it is so that the sound guys hear the same thing from venue to venue to try to make it match.  The band is just hearing the IEM mix which is going to sound the same every time.  The sound guys hear what it sounds like from the PA system which needs tweaking from venue to venue.

The only reason to "sound check" something different is when they are adding something new or working on something that is giving them trouble.  Then it is really more of a rehearsal at the venue than a "sound check."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I think it is so that the sound guys hear the same thing from venue to venue to try to make it match.  The band is just hearing the IEM mix which is going to sound the same every time.  The sound guys hear what it sounds like from the PA system which needs tweaking from venue to venue.

The only reason to "sound check" something different is when they are adding something new or working on something that is giving them trouble.  Then it is really more of a rehearsal at the venue than a "sound check."

for more autopilot examples check Illusion Tour, 1992

3 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

Yep.. Probably you 're right.

My mistake.. This one maybe is from Norway.

No, sorry, I didn't mean it like that. That was Slash's outfit in Gothenburg, and he did that in Nijmegen during Better, so I'm sure he did it there too. I just meant I really must've missed it this time :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR-girl said:

What an amazing show, so much better than the one in Stockholm last year! Thank you for coming to Gothenburg GNR and please come back again. :D :heart:

Every show is just better at Ullevi than at Friends Arena, it is just a matter of fact. ;)

There is a reason why Ullevi is considered a classic concert venue and Friends are more or less infamous for its problems with acoustics and whatnot. Also Ullevi is at ideal place in a city where you dont have to use any sort of public transport to get to it. 

But to be fair i had a great time at Friends this year seeing Eminem there. But the Springsteen shows at Friends vs Ullevi isnt even close to which was better. 

1 hour ago, Martinski said:

Every show is just better at Ullevi than at Friends Arena, it is just a matter of fact. ;)

There is a reason why Ullevi is considered a classic concert venue and Friends are more or less infamous for its problems with acoustics and whatnot. Also Ullevi is at ideal place in a city where you dont have to use any sort of public transport to get to it. 

But to be fair i had a great time at Friends this year seeing Eminem there. But the Springsteen shows at Friends vs Ullevi isnt even close to which was better. 

I'm not gonna bash the sound problems in friends because I think that most people just go by what the paper critics say. The ordinary Joe with earplugs tucked deep in their ears doesn't have a clue what it's supposed to sound like. That being said, I kind of hate going to gigs in friends. It's an awful dark hangar like place where you're not sure if you are in a very dark living room or just buried underground. The atmosphere is just so very very bad. On the contrary, Ullevi manage to create intimacy and just builds this huge party with 64 000 people. It's just fantastic and the sound is phenomenal if it's not too windy. 

Edited by cyanopsis
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, cyanopsis said:

I'm not gonna bash the sound problems in friends because I think that most people just go by what the paper critics say. The ordinary Joe with earplugs tucked deep in their ears doesn't have a clue what it's supposed to sound like. That being said, I kind of hate going to gigs in friends. It's an awful dark hangar like place where you're not sure if you are in a very dark living room or just buried underground. The atmosphere is just so very very bad. On the contrary, Ullevi manage to create intimacy just builds this huge party with 64 000 people. It's just fantastic and the sound is phenomenal if it's not too windy. 

Yeah i cant comment too much on the sound myself as 1. I am pretty much never in the stands 2. I always use earplugs as the sound gets too overbearing and distorts your hearing otherwise, also to protect my hearing of course. 3. I always try to be in the pit/golden circle/barricaded area in front of the stage. 

And i 100% agree with the comparisons on atmosphere between the 2 places. You barely notice in Stockholm if there is a concert in town, but if there is a gig at Ullevi you see it all over town. With pre-parties all over town blasting the music of the artist, people drinking in parks nearby and so on. 

I have been to Metlife Stadium for a concert and it was pretty much the same thing as going to Friends Arena as you have to go there by car or public transport. Better venue overall though.

Edited by Martinski

In every review i read about this gig the critics are shitting on Coma and the Chinese Democracy song. Seems to be a popular opinion to crap on that album in particular. 

I am no die hard GnR fan by any means or big on CD, but i actually liked songs like Better and Madagascar quite a lot. Much more than some of the covers. 

9 hours ago, JY2016 said:

Personally, I also liked the Expressen GT poster that was handed out outside the stadium before the gig because of the yellow news paperish quality, but also because that picture was taken at the show at Soldier Field in Chicago on the 3rd of July 2016, which I also attended...

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATE0YzUwLWUxMjEtOGNkZAAtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADMrf%2B%2FaqCdEKQ%2FBesq1T22QcAqAT3QYbe602Tjvh%2FkjKz8AAAAgEMAAAAqAT3QYbe602Tjvh%2FkjKz8AAB6suYnAAAAAESABAA0En2SVUcrE6JLLtJNgr44Q%3D%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=bl_pKrN_40-Ne4887PFU4qBbLINv8NUYch0IioLOD-vam63f1oze40lj-1XlHua41R5ZUeXaQTI.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.fDOXbc-0ZRaRWOlKr_S-nvxTHvaRgcfgNtj9m8-zGZrq5iWuVQZso84DGRJkRSUs96OM0YRuvz3fiKbK7XDMG8o7QnlPJEEDjeAMzZTvGi6C5mv8EShnB_1CwG9Okjk444rHPj-k-7F4TseLqGLjqhs5PDQEZqW0HIrBvCjqNDs6cpE5J9lFJzR4rqVIw0M31lPVIxNM2nW6XuIwrqIqCMCm8Y-wrGOiRrBDIO_Svol-7RdJHM6JNM3wpxkYGw6_yTdKTpnZj5gRkCuLKfpopaTPcC8NUvjHqAIU6CN4cvHo84_Qtz7A2X5f_qv79MukbsLa22P0Ie8fSAbOAHl-7g&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

I cant see an attachment...what does it look like?

In every review i read about this gig the critics are shitting on Coma and the Chinese Democracy song. Seems to be a popular opinion to crap on that album in particular. 

I am no die hard GnR fan by any means or big on CD, but i actually liked songs like Better and Madagascar quite a lot. Much more than some of the covers. 

Madagscar was far better than SCOM in my opinion. Axl put no effort into SCOM, but went all out in Maddy. That's all it takes. 

Come to think of it, why are critics always in the stands quite often a good way from the stage as well? Is there a reason why they are seated in the same section as the press are at football games? Why are they never in the floor and in the pit section? 

Of course you will have a worse experience if you are that far away...

Yeah i cant comment too much on the sound myself as 1. I am pretty much never in the stands 2. I always use earplugs as the sound gets too overbearing and distorts your hearing otherwise, also to protect my hearing of course. 3. I always try to be in the pit/golden circle/barricaded area in front of the stage. 

And i 100% agree with the comparisons on atmosphere between the 2 places. You barely notice in Stockholm if there is a concert in town, but if there is a gig at Ullevi you see it all over town. With pre-parties all over town blasting the music of the artist, people drinking in parks nearby and so on. 

I have been to Metlife Stadium for a concert and it was pretty much the same thing as going to Friends Arena as you have to go there by car or public transport. Better venue overall though.

You absolutely should wear earplugs, I am with you on that one. My point was that people in general will eat anything the critics say, as long as the critique isn't towards the band they just saw. On a concert that draws 50 000+ people, a large portion will have no clue whatsoever on what the sound is supposed to be, because they rarely attend concerts in this magnitude. I am sure the critic is right when he/she writes in the paper that the sound in the venue was bad (we are still talking about friends arena in this example), but it makes me nauseous when this becomes the general consensus. Exactly that was expected to happen last year in friends, and it did happen. And because gnr now draws people that was brought up listening to gnr, had a crush on Axl, spent their teenage years listening to nothing but UYI, you hear this sentiment brought up in the second sentence when you ask them what it was like, because they haven't been to a concert in this magnitude for 25 years, or ever. If a critic, who goes to gigs all week, has an opinion, then that must be true, is often their line of thinking.

I am perhaps ranting too hard on the subject, you will have to excuse, but this has been bugging me for too long. 

1 minute ago, Martinski said:

Come to think of it, why are critics always in the stands quite often a good way from the stage as well? Is there a reason why they are seated in the same section as the press are at football games? Why are they never in the floor and in the pit section? 

Of course you will have a worse experience if you are that far away...

Because they are there to work, not party like the rest of us. They need proper internet because they are live tweeting/reporting and they need a desk so they can write. Probably a coffee or two as well. 

1 minute ago, cyanopsis said:

Because they are there to work, not party like the rest of us. They need proper internet because they are live tweeting/reporting and they need a desk so they can write. Probably a coffee or two as well. 

Yes but usually you have one guy doing live reporting and then one writing the review. But i guess they are writing as the concert goes along...

GUNS N’ ROSES BREAK ATTENDANCE RECORD IN SWEDEN
The band performed to 64,289 people at Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg, breaking the record of 63,036 people previously set by Metallica.

In the latest stop on their Not in this Lifetime Tour, Guns N’ Roses have broken the attendance record at Sweden’s Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg. 64,289 people turned up to see the band perform, surpassing the record previously set by Metallica (63,036 attendees).

The Not in this Lifetime Tour, promoted by Live Nation, has already made its way through much of Europe and North and South America, Asia and Australasia over the last two years, and has earned positive reviews along the way.

Last year saw the band top the Pollstar’s highest grossing tours list, with a total $151.5 million. The band also came second in a ranking of ticket sales, with a total 2,679,962 sold in 2017. With the best part of a million tickets sold in Europe alone, the tour has been a resounding success for the band who are well known for their turbulence.

Closing the show with ‘Paradise City’, the band impressed the huge number of concertgoers. With the success seen throughout the tour, and Sweden being no exception, many are finding comfort in the fact both rock music and the band themselves are just as popular now as when they rose to fame 30 years ago.

www.iq-mag.net/2018/07/guns-n-roses-record-breaking-sweden/#.W1YpztJKjIU

• Like 1