1989: The Most Important Year in GN'R History?

45 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

and Duff is slowly beginning to drink.

According to his book, Duff was already somewhat of an alcoholic when he was still living in Seattle. I think it was in 1989 in Chicago when he discovered he could drink even more with coke.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

According to his book, Duff was already somewhat of an alcoholic when he was still living in Seattle. I think it was in 1989 in Chicago when he discovered he could drink even more with coke.

i actually find 1989 pretty interesting and this topic looks fabulous but i decide to stop reading after the "Duff is slowly beginning to drink" line

yeah right! :rofl-lol:

All good points and surely a pivotal year in their lives and history of the band.

Indisputable is, after the monstrous success of 1988, they all went back "home" from touring and were left to manage on their own all the consequences that that success had brought. It was basically the period of the Hell House/AFD recording all over again, but on steroids, and this time it was too much for them. It cracked something, probably that personal bond that was apparent in the previous 3 years.. no matter how musically/artistically creative they still were, the magic was getting corrupted and altered by too many factors. Some good (more professionalism), many bad (substances abuse, egos, greed).

Who knows what really happened, and I don't think they even remember much of it at all, despite what we read on books etc...

On 3/22/2018 at 9:15 AM, Len Cnut said:

It must be comedy hour :lol:

How do you mean? Appetite was selling literally a million copies a month in 1988. It was everywhere. They went from being nobodies to appearing in films, there was even talk of GN'R doing movies. Go watch any random late 80s movie from 88 or 89 and there's likely a GN'R reference somewhere or a poster. They were pretty huge overnight.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

How do you mean? Appetite was selling literally a million copies a month in 1988. It was everywhere. They went from being nobodies to appearing in films, there was even talk of GN'R doing movies. Go watch any random late 80s movie from 88 or 89 and there's likely a GN'R reference somewhere or a poster. They were pretty huge overnight.

You might wanna go back and look at what Beatlemania was.

• Like 1

I remember on their behind the music, it said the anticipation for the use your illusions hadn’t been seen since the Beatles. I know they did have midnight sales for those records. Apparently they sold something like 2 million records in 24 hours or something like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Um. yeah.  I am a huge fan but beatlemania?  Sorry but no.  That isn't a knock on GnR, it's just that beatlemania was a whole different world.

GnR was huge, but no need to get into hyperbole. 

There are similarities. I can’t think of one rock band outside of GNR that became a worldwide phenomenon after one album. Zeppelin, U2, The Stones, Metallica all took many albums and years before they reached global status, so I think that is what the poster was drawing a parallel to.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Len is british , so he takes it somewhat more seriously. Your speaking blasphemy and sacrilege to his ears.

The OP makes some good points, but I don't agree completely. The UYIs may not have sold as much as Thriller, but they certainly weren't flops either by any stretch of the imagination. The hype was still there. People lined up around the blocks at record stores all over the country at midnight. Each album went on to sell over 15 million copies. Sure, both albums are flawed, but if they were THAT bad, they wouldn't have gotten to 15 million copies each. 

UYI hasn't aged well these days, and rightfully so (again, both records are flawed). But, going off of like every documentary and interview I see from the time, they were the albums that pretty much defined GNR from like 1991-1994.

also, as others have said here, I wouldn't compare GNR's success quite to beatlemania either. Yes, they became extraordinarily successful in 1988, but beatlemania made it so that anyone from a 5-year-old to their grandma could name all four Beatles.

but I agree with pretty much everything else the OP is saying. Maybe it wouldve been better if we got UYI in 1990 instead. I don't know. No sense in rewriting history, at this point. I think GNR's downfall and eventual return was inevitable anyway, and their legacy act status is cemented now, even with all the drama that ended up unfolding.

Edited by rocknroll41

17 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Um. yeah.  I am a huge fan but beatlemania?  Sorry but no.  That isn't a knock on GnR, it's just that beatlemania was a whole different world.

GnR was huge, but no need to get into hyperbole. 

I was thinking the same thing. 

People always use that "...since The Beatles" line though. Like you said, UYI was a big, big deal but no where on the same planet with Beatlemania. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The OP makes some good points, but I don't agree completely. The UYIs may not have sold as much as Thriller, but they certainly weren't flops either by any stretch of the imagination. The hype was still there. People lined up around the blocks at record stores all over the country at midnight. Each album went on to sell over 15 million copies. Sure, both albums are flawed, but if they were THAT bad, they wouldn't have gotten to 15 million copies each. 

UYI hasn't aged well these days, and rightfully so (again, both records are flawed). But, going off of like every documentary and interview I see from the time, they were the albums that pretty much defined GNR from like 1991-1994.

also, as others have said here, I wouldn't compare GNR's success quite to beatlemania either. Yes, they became extraordinarily successful in 1988, but beatlemania made it so that anyone from a 5-year-old to their grandma could name all four Beatles.

but I agree with pretty much everything else the OP is saying. Maybe it wouldve been better if we got UYI in 1990 instead. I don't know. No sense in rewriting history, at this point. I think GNR's downfall and eventual return was inevitable anyway, and their legacy act status is cemented now, even with all the drama that ended up unfolding.

Well GNR is probably the last band where most people could name almost all members. With the exception of Steven Adler I would say for a brief moment the average rock fan could name Izzy and Duff, how many bands now days can you even name more than the lead singer or guitar player?

21 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Well GNR is probably the last band where most people could name almost all members. With the exception of Steven Adler I would say for a brief moment the average rock fan could name Izzy and Duff, how many bands now days can you even name more than the lead singer or guitar player?

I think that was also because they had names like cartoon characters... Steven was the only one with a normal name. They were like the Spice Girls in a way with those nicknames... almost everyone could name Ginger, Baby, Scary, Posh and Sporty........ oh my, I didn't even have to look that up!

• Haha 1

Just now, Silverburst80 said:

From memory Nirvana weren't even the biggest grunge band, Pearl Jam where as big if not bigger.

Yes, by 1993 Pearl Jam were outselling Nirvana, but late 1991 and early to mid 1992 the Nirvana hype was HUGE.

30 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yes, by 1993 Pearl Jam were outselling Nirvana, but late 1991 and early to mid 1992 the Nirvana hype was HUGE.

Yes it was, i think the energy around GNR was a different beast though...never in the same bracket as Beatlemania but y'know new crews parked outside hotels to catch a glimpse of the band, news crews covering their concerts worldwide, getting massive print exposure outside of music press.

43 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yes it was, i think the energy around GNR was a different beast though...never in the same bracket as Beatlemania but y'know new crews parked outside hotels to catch a glimpse of the band, news crews covering their concerts worldwide, getting massive print exposure outside of music press.

I wasn't comparing the GnR hype to the Nirvana hype, though. I reacted to the poster who said that no rock band outside of GnR became a worldwide phenomenon after one album, and I think Nirvana was definitely that after Nevermind, especially because they were the first band from that alternative scene to break through in the mainstream... they even affected the fashion world and outside of the music press the whole ''Kurt and Courtney'' thing got a lot of attention.