Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

Just now, life_247 said:

I'm pretty sure the Blu-ray is going to be the Ritz-88 MTV show there's very little else that is around from that era the pro-shot.

Interesting collection of demos from soundcity and stuff, glad to see it happening.

However it pretty much confirms GnR as a legacy act at this point, they did the reunion tour and now are re-issueing a load of old demos and off-cuts (which is fine) to basically be able to tour for another year or two. After that they'll probably give Izzy and Steven all the $$ and go on a AFD5 reunion tour - live BD/DVD/CD of those shows. Nothing new is coming I fear.

Isn't the blu-ray just audio of Appetite? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

I personally enjoy SOYL so I think it’s cool they’re doing this for this song. Is there another song you guys would have preferred them push and promote rather than SOYL? 

I absolutely love this version of Heartbreak Hotel. And I assume it's even an even less known recording than SOYL so I would've preferred that. I don't think this version is on YT at all

• Like 1

Just now, allwaystired said:

Isn't the blu-ray just audio of Appetite? 

Why would you put the audio of Appetite onto a Blu-ray? If you're advertising a Blu-Ray it has video content on it.

Could of course be a 4 videos for the singles and some other shite cobbeled together. Probably that in fact.

4 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Guess I'll share my opinion, cause why the heck not. 

Obviously this is much better than nothing. It's a nice gesture especially for the AFD purists. It's cool to have something to chew on while they're working on new material, new AC/DC and Conspirators stuff or what ever they're working on. It's clear that we won't be getting a brand new GNR album anytime soon, so it's cool that we get at least this.

Still, if I'm completely honest, I'm not that excited about this. Never had any problems with the AFD sound, so I don't necessarily need a remaster. Never been a big fan of the unreleased demos. They're interesting curiosities, but I feel like there's a reason why they didn't end up on the actual album.

Now if we're actually gonna get some new old songs that we've never heard before, THAT is something that I could get excited about. That's brand new music for us after all. (INot sure if it's already confirmed that we're getting never before heard music or not. We're getting new updates so fast that it's hard to keep up with it) Anyway, I'm always more than happy to hear GNR songs that I've never heard before. Don't know how much I have faith in old unreleased GNR demos though, since I'm not a big fan of those that we've heard.

All in all I'm much more excited about what this current version of GNR could offer. In fact it feels almost embarrassing that Shadow Of Your Love will be released as a single. Most casuals will listen to that shit and think: "WTF, is this the best they can do? Sounds like a parody of old GNR or something". Guess I would have hoped that GNR returns with an amazing new song that sounds kinda like old school GNR, but with a much more modern touch. Shadow Of Your Love sounds more like a terribly dated hair metal song. And if I'm honest I actually hope that radio stations won't play it much. Shadow of your Love is not the kind of a song that I want people to associate my favorite band with. It sound like everything that GNR was at it's worst.

Now this is just my opinion though and I don't want to ruin the enjoyment for anyone else. This is cool, but not something that I'm all that interested about. I want brand new GNR music. Still, like I said, this is better than nothing.

No. SOYL sounds like it could have been on lies mixed in with Reckless life and Nice Boys. It's a straight up rnr song mixed with that punk approach.

1 minute ago, life_247 said:

Why would you put the audio of Appetite onto a Blu-ray? If you're advertising a Blu-Ray it has video content on it.

Could of course be a 4 videos for the singles and some other shite cobbeled together. Probably that in fact.

Are surround sound remasters still a thing?

1 minute ago, life_247 said:

Take that back - you're right @allwaystired apparently is a 5.1 mix of the album. That probably shows the level of padding in this collection.

8 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Guess I'll share my opinion, cause why the heck not. 

Obviously this is much better than nothing. It's a nice gesture especially for the AFD purists. It's cool to have something to chew on while they're working on new material, new AC/DC and Conspirators stuff or what ever they're working on. It's clear that we won't be getting a brand new GNR album anytime soon, so it's cool that we get at least this.

Still, if I'm completely honest, I'm not that excited about this. Never had any problems with the AFD sound, so I don't necessarily need a remaster. Never been a big fan of the unreleased demos. They're interesting curiosities, but I feel like there's a reason why they didn't end up on the actual album.

Now if we're actually gonna get some new old songs that we've never heard before, THAT is something that I could get excited about. That's brand new music for us after all. (INot sure if it's already confirmed that we're getting never before heard music or not. We're getting new updates so fast that it's hard to keep up with it) Anyway, I'm always more than happy to hear GNR songs that I've never heard before. Don't know how much I have faith in old unreleased GNR demos though, since I'm not a big fan of those that we've heard.

All in all I'm much more excited about what this current version of GNR could offer. In fact it feels almost embarrassing that Shadow Of Your Love will be released as a single. Most casuals will listen to that shit and think: "WTF, is this the best they can do? Sounds like a parody of old GNR or something". Guess I would have hoped that GNR returns with an amazing new song that sounds kinda like old school GNR, but with a much more modern touch. Shadow Of Your Love sounds more like a terribly dated hair metal song. And if I'm honest I actually hope that radio stations won't play it much. Shadow of your Love is not the kind of a song that I want people to associate my favorite band with. It sound like everything that GNR was at it's worst.

Now this is just my opinion though and I don't want to ruin the enjoyment for anyone else. This is cool, but not something that I'm all that interested about. I want brand new GNR music. Still, like I said, this is better than nothing.

THIS 100%

• Like 1

Just now, life_247 said:

Fairly standard in boxsets now to have a Dolby surround audio bluray. Most include it. I'd be surprised if it was anything else really. 

An example is here: http://www.elusivedisc.com/The-Who-Tommy-3CD_1-Blu-Ray-Pure-Audio-Disc-Box-Set/productinfo/UNICD74739/

• GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

That's exactly what I said ... :facepalm:

Because they went back to the master tapes, and found stuff on the reels that wasn't used on the previously released versions ?  Then remix, remaster, and you're done !

Or they've added it recently, which is BLASPHEMY !

But the rest of the music and vocals in the snippet is STRAIGHT OUTTA PASHA '86 !

If they remastered different takes or re recorded parts was thier decision. That dosnet devalue anything and it's not blasphemy either way. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Ah - got you! I see what you mean now. 

In that case, $179 for four cds is absolutely outrageous. The recent Prince Purple Rain reissue had 4 discs - the album remastered, two discs of b-sides and unreleased rarities, and a live concert DVD. Price? $22. 

this confirms that everything that surrounds this band is very crazy.
this price is absurd and has no justification.
at most I will download some of these versions. the band does not deserve this whole investment.

2 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

If they remastered different takes or re recorded parts was thier decision. That dosnet devalue anything and it's not blasphemy either way. 

IT IS BLASPHEMY !!! :lol:

GNR ended in '96-ish.  They have no right to mess up these sacred recordings decades later.  These are historical artefacts !

Do you want Da Vinci to draw a moustache on the Mona Lisa ? :facepalm:

Just now, LovelessNL said:

Don't know who said it here, but its kinda twisted that the single which is now released and apparently seen as 'The Single Of The Reunion' had nothing to do with Slash or Duff, and was written by Axl, Izzy and Paul fuckin' Huge.

So? Like Slash and Duff play numerous songs from CD at shows now. The band has an eclectic era, it what it is. 

1 minute ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

GNR ended in '96-ish.  They have no right to mess up these sacred recordings decades later.  These are historical artefacts !

The bands music is THIERS not yours. This is what was decided and it will benefit them.

if they want money for old rope they should have reworked rocket queen without the shagging so its allowed to be played on radio. that would have a far better chance of being a hit than subjecting bieber fan radio listeners to a song like SOYL

4 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

Don't know who said it here, but its kinda twisted that the single which is now released and apparently seen as 'The Single Of The Reunion' had nothing to do with Slash or Duff, and was written by Axl, Izzy and Paul fuckin' Huge.

Does Axl have some sort of contract or obligation to feed Paul Tobias for a lifetime?

Is Paul Tobias Axl's illegal child?? :lol:

:facepalm:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Well, i mean, SOYL was a cover, lol. I know Axl, Izzy and Paul wrote it, but what's the difference between covering Hollywood Rose in 1986, and covering Hollywood Rose in 2018 via remaster or rerecording? Izzy and Steven are noticeably absent, but i don't particularly see a problem if it has been touched.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

5 minutes ago, donny said:

if they want money for old rope they should have reworked rocket queen without the shagging so its allowed to be played on radio. that would have a far better chance of being a hit than subjecting bieber fan radio listeners to a song like SOYL

Any single from Guns following the reunion is almost bound to be a hit anyway though. Many people already know Rocket Queen. SOYL gives Guns the opportunity to release something 'new' to 99% of its renewed audience with little effort. 

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

6 minutes ago, donny said:

if they want money for old rope they should have reworked rocket queen without the shagging so its allowed to be played on radio.

Jesus Christ, you take that back right now!

(And where the hell can't Rocket Queen be played on the radio?  Eastern Nofuckingstan?)

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Any single from Guns following the reunion is almost bound to be a hit anyway though. Many people already know Rocket Queen. SOYL gives Guns the opportunity to release something 'new' to 99% of its renewed audience with little effort. 

all guns fans know it but most people dont. it was not on the greatest hits as it wasn't a hit and its never played on radio. only them with a copy of AFD know it