Any artists here?

Apollo

27 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I knew it!  Haha!  Don't ask me how, but I knew you'd be into writing.  I also wonder about @RONIN...he strikes me as the writer type.  

In my opinion, you're a writer, even if you aren't published.  Once you're published, you're an author.  ;)

Have you ever tried to get your work published?

No, never really ever been 100% happy with something I’ve wrotened.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Most of Schubert's great masterpieces including the 8th and the 9th were never published during his lifetime but found posthumously in the cupboards and lofts by friends and musicologists (including Arthur Sullivan, of Gilbert and Sullivan fame).

You make a fair point there Skip.  Looking at it that way one could argue it makes my motives look a little suspect.  I just meant like...what goods a song that no bastards heard?

Edited by Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Is a painter who paints pictures not an artist unless she/he exhibited or sold anything? What would Van Gogh say about that.

He did actually sell some paintings and drawings during his lifetime and had a few exhibitions.

But I agree with what you're saying.

9 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Here's the first music video I ever did

This is my latest short film

and just for good measure Episode 2 of the web series

Yes! These are great! Im not versed in discussing film, but for me these all hit perfect on the anxiety of the times. Of being stalked, hunted, the walls closing in. And how the self is reorganized or even divided for survival. Self discover or capitulation? But like I say; I dont know what Im talking about regarding film. But these took me outta my head and put the anxiety right in to the pit of my stomach. 

I gotta follow the web series - thanks for posting!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I write but haven't tried getting anything published yet. So naturally, I assumed you were treading on my dreams.
I

Don’t be silly, you know I’m too self involved ever be talking about anyone besides myself :D

• Like 1

I've had one book published. It was a non-fiction history type book that was written as a fundraiser for a group in my city. I donated all proceeds from the book to the cause, I believe they ended up making about $20,000.  But it was an actual published book - not a self-published Ebook on Amazon.  THERE is nothing wrong with self-publishing or publishing an Ebook or on Amazon or whatever. Nothing wrong with that at all.  I'm not putting that avenue down at all, as I am about to use that route myself. But there is a difference between the two. I have a nephew who brags to everybody that he has dropped three albums and has a published novel. When in reality, he just posts his music on Youtube and Soundcloud and his "published novel" was something he paid for on Amazon.

I've worked on numerous publishing projects and have had articles published in more newspapers than I can count. Lol, which sounds cool, but in reality, I was just an editor and writer for a newspaper. Other newspapers around the state will occasionally pick up your stories/articles for their paper.  And then on occasion, out-of-state newspapers will use your stories.  Once a basketball team from Australia came to play in a local tournament. They obviously didn't sent a reporter, so they hired me as a freelancer to chronicle the trip of their boys/team/parents in our unique locale. So I've been published overseas as well. Lol - it looks a lot more impressive on my resume, as opposed to what it really was, just a human interest story on some high school kids! I also did some work for a small faction of the Olympics, which was actually a lot of fun and turned out pretty cool.

I've got a ton of mainly finished novels lying in the vault (ala Axl)....but at this stage of my life, I absolutely despise editing and rewriting. Writing/creating is fun. Editing/rewriting is dreadful and soul sucking, imo.

9 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Here's the first music video I ever did

This is my latest short film

and just for good measure Episode 2 of the web series

Nice work!!!

• Like 1

I haven't really played guitar or sang in over a year and today I was walking around and saw a guy on the street playing the Cash version of "hurt" and my first thought was "I miss that. I miss doing that..."

i should dust off my guitar and get back in the music game.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I knew it!  Haha!  Don't ask me how, but I knew you'd be into writing.  I also wonder about @RONIN...he strikes me as the writer type.  

In my opinion, you're a writer, even if you aren't published.  Once you're published, you're an author.  ;)

Have you ever tried to get your work published?

do you have an intuition about these things? :lol:

I sorta write infrequently - business articles - a few screenplays, that kind of thing.

@RONIN I DO as it turns out. :lol:  I have zero talent for anything but I work with lots of talented creative and writerly types and I can spot a natural born writer; it's all in the cadence. 

I had you pegged for non-fiction although I thought it might be more journalism than business.  

I wish people would post little samples of their works here...be great to see what people get up to when they're not GNRing.   I can't help but wonder what a @Len Cnut screenplay looks like. ^_^

On 6/3/2018 at 9:37 AM, soon said:

Yes! These are great! Im not versed in discussing film, but for me these all hit perfect on the anxiety of the times. Of being stalked, hunted, the walls closing in. And how the self is reorganized or even divided for survival. Self discover or capitulation? But like I say; I dont know what Im talking about regarding film. But these took me outta my head and put the anxiety right in to the pit of my stomach. 

I gotta follow the web series - thanks for posting!

Thanks man. It don't matter how well versed you are in film discussion, you seem to have hit the nail on the head with mine. Claustrophobia is kind of a motif I use. That you're looking at someone or a situation and have that sense of dread and amplify it, using minimal jump scares. I lie to have actual time taken out in that these can exist on an time that's hard to pin down. I love the web series and I hope I can finish it sometime early next year. I have so many ideas and parts of scripts written down. I even have some comedy stuff LOL.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Lio said:

Great news. On Amazon? Let me know when it's on there :)

I had some problems with IRS on there, so everything was taken off. So I'm in the process of breaking them down to parts to sell to anthologies. 

The new one I want to somehow monetize it in a whore-ishly post ironic way, I have a feeling I can do it. 

16 minutes ago, wasted said:

I had some problems with IRS on there, so everything was taken off. So I'm in the process of breaking them down to parts to sell to anthologies. 

The new one I want to somehow monetize it in a whore-ishly post ironic way, I have a feeling I can do it. 

That explains why I couldn't find you on there anymore.

Anyway, keep me posted once you find a way to do it.

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

That explains why I couldn't find you on there anymore.

Anyway, keep me posted once you find a way to do it.

I might just sell it online. If you want to just read it I'll pm it to you. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

You understand it's not actually good?

That's how I justify it. 

I still want to read it. Axl says he sucks too, I still want to hear him.

Maybe I can proofread it for you, check for typos.

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

I still want to read it. Axl says he sucks too, I still want to hear him.

Maybe I can proofread it for you, check for typos.

Yes, the typos are sacred. I send it tomorrow. It's my attempt at a linear narrative with character development. Fight Club meets Apocalypse Now with some Charlie Sheen identity crisis subtext. I'm starting to see life as a videogame that you realise you are part of. 

• Like 1

Not an artist but I doodle, zentangle.  I use coasters and draw mostly nature things.  Give them to folks just because.  They seem to like them.  My latest is falling leaves, sorry you're leaving, please don't leave, give them to folks who are leaving.  I have a birthday cake one I give to folks, always get a smile.

You can't buy them, you can't request them.  It's a little gift from me.  Thing is, people save them, display them, puts a smile on my face too.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I'd call myself an artist, but I like to write. Mostly just for fun - poetry and short stories - but I have published some articles and comment pieces both in the UK and the US, had some of my poems published in the US, and I've just been accepted by a publisher to release a poetry collection.

I know that's not exactly gonna make me a lot of money, as the market for poetry isn't huge, but it'll be fun to see it out there. I'm also hoping to get a story collection published, and some children's books.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

• 3 weeks later...