Frank, I love you - but could you please slow the F down a bit? ;)

3 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I'd rather hop behind the kit myself than have a massive liability like Adler back in the band, to be honest.

He isn't anymore of a liability than Axl... There is a reason Axl has shown up on time to every gig.. There were lawyers and contracts involved.. The same thing would have been done for Steven. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

He isn't anymore of a liability than Axl... There is a reason Axl has shown up on time to every gig.. There were lawyers and contracts involved.. The same thing would have been done for Steven. 

exactly, this is the easiest tour ever

• Like 2

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

Axl is much more intelligent and savvy than Steven.

Last time Steven had a contract, it didn't go so well...

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Axl is much more intelligent and savvy than Steven.

Last time Steven had a contract, it didn't go so well...

If it doesn't go well, he is the one that loses.. It isn't hard to find a viable replacement drummer.. Unless you are Gn'R I guess.. Hell Fred Coury fit better than Frank does..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, estranged_85 said:

I miss Sorum.. that's all i have to say about that. 

I was never a huge Matt fan but I would kill for him now.. The chemistry between him, Slash and Duff is night and day compared to what we have now.. Watch that 1993 Canada show.. That band had a fucking groove that this lineup just doesn't have.  Axl's losing his chops is one thing that he doesn't have much control over but the band should sound better than ever.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Though the tempos arent Franks doing, it is his doing to come in fast on second verses and to trip over his turn arounds. The fast tempos do make Frank play even worse because he lacks finesse to begin with and at these tempos he still goes for all sorts of bits that he stumbles over and speeds up with in bars trying to pull off.

The new Smashing Pumpkins song has Jimmy Chamberlain going full bronco and its so refreshing to hear and amazing rock drummer just owning a song.

• Like 2

It’s not even that Frank can’t play, it’s just his drum kit tone and style does not mesh well with Guns songs. It sounds like a kid hitting a trash can with sticks. As much as I worry Steven wouldn’t be able to handle a full tour without relapsing or having some drama, I can’t deny the band sounded the best in 2016 with him on the kit for OTGM/My Michelle. 

• Like 1

As many have said Frank doesn't decide the tempo.

Axl likely decides or has a huge say because he is the one singing. There's many reasons why he could have moved the tempo up.

It's also why I don't get all the criticism of Frank. 

Some examples why bands speed things up are Faster tempo can really pump audiences. Of course this depends on the song. Ive heard many singers cover others songs in faster or slowed down versions.

Another reason could be the singers preference. This is another reason why its done a lot. The singer may wish to sing the song lower higher, faster slower etc.

The final reason I'll give is to fit more songs in. Some songs could be extra long and speeding them up can cut off a minute or two here and there allowing for more songs to fit in.

Of course it could also be a guitarist or any other band member for same reaaons as above 

The drummer doesn't generally decide personally I feel it's usually based on the singers needs though in some cases it could be off other band members strengths or weakness which I don't think is the case with Frank.

I think as a whole they like it this way. From what I know of Axl I feel if he didn't like Frank's drumming or Frank wasn't drumming how they wanted he wouldn't be there.

Want to add drummers can and do make certain songs more and set a tempo at times but they also must be in line with the main keys.

It could be Slash or Duff who like it faster and Axl who is just matching their tempo.

Maybe someone else remembers if these songs seemed faster before they came back.

12 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

If it doesn't go well, he is the one that loses.. It isn't hard to find a viable replacement drummer.. Unless you are Gn'R I guess.. Hell Fred Coury fit better than Frank does..

How do we know he hasn't broken a new contract?

Again every time Steven doesn't get his way he talks to the media and insults people. Sorry but no amount of contracts is going to force these guys to deal with that. 

This band had many personal issues amongst them Steven's back and forth and thrown insults just don't have a place with them. 

It's hard to work with someone you don't trust who will backstab you when you least expect it.

It is what it is.

Every thread ends up a Steven thread. I love Steven as a drummer and wish it worked out but at this point I'm looking forward to a guest apperance by Matt some day.

Steven seems like he would just sow discord in the band. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

I love Steven as a drummer and wish it worked out but at this point I'm looking forward to a guest apperance by Matt some day.

An appearance by Matt would be sweet as well.  It would really be sweet if Frank had to step down for some reason and they gave Matt the call.  I guarantee the band would sound better.  I think Slash's absolute best playing has been with either Matt or Fitz behind him.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

An appearance by Matt would be sweet as well.  It would really be sweet if Frank had to step down for some reason and they gave Matt the call.  I guarantee the band would sound better.  I think Slash's absolute best playing has been with either Matt or Fitz behind him.

I can see anyone from this forum sneaking backstage and putting the trip to Frank so he falls, breaks his hand and put a replacement. Seriously, he looks like a very nice guy, but it sound like if the band had bought a drum machine and set it up wrong.

• Like 1

Steven's playing is just integral part of their trademark sound, it's a pity they couldn't work out their grievances. It's just him, how he projects these songs plus the tuning (the actual sounds of drums) and the fact that he plays it like an instrument.

Frank is fine, he is a good drummer.
As for the speed, many bands choose to play their early hits much faster. Ramones were notorious in that

Stones play Last Time and their early classics faster too. Here Get Off Of My Cloud a bit faster and yes - just wouldn't be the same without Charlie Watts

Finally why speed-up? Boredom, routine, they want to finish sooner (so they can go eat :-))... who knows

Edited by Colossus of Rhodes

i watched the you could be mine video from download just to see if he had somehow improved and it was astonoshing how much he plays outside of the actual track - he is playing by himself virtually all the time, placing unparallel add ons etc while the pacing is rushing every fucking song 

furthermore whats with how fast civil war goes too slow that fucking shit down fuck they fucking destoryed that song inside out to its bare guts all over the fucking floor 

jungle drumming is pitiful as well 

and i couldn't describe how much i would dream of having Sorum back for estranged and NR 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 12:28 AM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i watched the you could be mine video from download just to see if he had somehow improved and it was astonoshing how much he plays outside of the actual track - he is playing by himself virtually all the time, placing unparallel add ons etc while the pacing is rushing every fucking song 

furthermore whats with how fast civil war goes too slow that fucking shit down fuck they fucking destoryed that song inside out to its bare guts all over the fucking floor 

jungle drumming is pitiful as well 

and i couldn't describe how much i would dream of having Sorum back for estranged and NR 

Frank effeminately sticks out like a sore thumb on some of those Illusion tracks like Don't Cry and November Rain.. The November Rain was all around pretty damn good aside from him.. 

The current tempos aren't nearly as bad as the April 2016 shows where I thought they were playing WAY too fast. Once the summer tour started they got it under control though there are still some songs like Coma and Don't Cry which I think are played too fast. For other songs like Nightrain, speeding up a little bit is an improvement.

As for Steven, I like him but in addition to his history of personal problems, to join the current GNR he would have to learn like 20 new songs and play for 3+ hours a night and I don't think he has the ability to do that.