What was even the point of the planned Chinese Remix album?

6 hours ago, soon said:

My second thought is more cynical: Axl promised a trilogy but only completed 2 discs worth of music. So remix album makes three.

It was probably similar to UYI. Two albums with original material and one album with covers/remixed material. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dean said:

I hope they recorded that in the studio. That cover was unbelievable.

Quite possibly, even around the time it was performed...as it was a request of Axl's manager at the time, so maybe they got a present from Axl!
It was only done those two shows on that day, so maybe it was...
At the very least, perfect pro shot audio exists.

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

Don't really see how it would be much of a selling point with any proposed release.

I'd figure that the some folk would stick it on, think to themselves "This is abject shite" and then put it off again. The majority of folk probably wouldn't even play it.

I imagine it would've been a bonus disc, with a re-released Chinese Democracy (Red Hand and/or Grenade album cover). There's apparently at least 6 remix tracks, and I think stuff like Going Down, OMG, Silkworms, and maybe Atlas (since it was almost included on CD originally) would've been there too, so that's '10 additional tracks'... fill it out with DJ and Ron's versions of better and some instrumentals and there's the 'remix album'.

48 minutes ago, Sosso said:

It was probably similar to UYI. Two albums with original material and one album with covers/remixed material. 

Hmmm, yea...cause CD2 has been mentioned a bit by Axl...but can't remember him talking about CD3...
Other than saying he had 36 songs almost complete and then ??? whatever number in that Loder interview, etc.
So I guess CD2 was more formed in his mind of themes, perhaps...But CD3 was a mystery of the other tracks or

not even far past an idea...
Bach seem to think there was plenty there though..."It's 4 albums"
I do wonder when he says he played me the "rest of Chinese" in 2007 what was that? Like all the tracks we got,

I suspect there was far more Bach probably heard.
(skip to 1:00) 

Edited by colonizedmind

We all hold our heroes in high regard and assume they are geniuses that know what they are doing, when infact most of the time they are just chancing it, trying to find ways to succeed like anyone in any profession. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

The Chinese Era is littered with examples of this and the remix album is one of many. 

Its that simple.

Edited by prettytiedup88

1 minute ago, arthurmbg said:

Where did Ron confirmed that? Just out of curiosity, did he mention which songs that material became? 

there was a song called "argentinian something" that he said he wanted to show to GN'R as a possible song (terrible idea to play those riffs on youtube and then expect the GN'R team to take it if you ask me)
Gn'R wasn't interested so he released it as part of his solo project

1 minute ago, Uncle Bob said:

there was a song called "argentinian something" that he said he wanted to show to GN'R as a possible song (terrible idea to play those riffs on youtube and then expect the GN'R team to take it if you ask me)
Gn'R wasn't interested so he released it as part of his solo project

Thanks for the answer. So it probably became Ron's song "Argentina" from Little Brother. I have been wondering for a while is some of the material on that album was originally meant for GnR, thanks ;) 

1 minute ago, arthurmbg said:

Thanks for the answer. So it probably became Ron's song "Argentina" from Little Brother. I have been wondering for a while is some of the material on that album was originally meant for GnR, thanks ;) 

yeah, he called "argentinian tango" at first. I guess it's more like he wanted to make and release music but Axl didn't. Ron seemed very frustrated with Gn'R like for years, some of his comments seemed very bitter, like he couldn't stand more of this situation of just touring

2 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

yeah, he called "argentinian tango" at first. I guess it's more like he wanted to make and release music but Axl didn't. Ron seemed very frustrated with Gn'R like for years, some of his comments seemed very bitter, like he couldn't stand more of this situation of just touring

Yes, I feel bad for him. But now he is surely in a better place for him, teaming up with a working proggy machine such as Mike Portnoy. Yet, I confess I miss his attitude with the fans and amazing live performances in GnR

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I know it’s been discussed here or there in various threads but I wanted a more general thread. The Chinese remixes we know exist and have been leaked recently or years ago are Shacklers Revenge, If The World, Prostitute (Blood in the Water), about 10373 versions of Better, and This I Love*. I also think that Oh My God and Silkworms would have been added to this album. To me, none of these remixes are interesting. They’re okay for a listen or two out of curiosity but if they were ever realeased it may have tarnished the Guns name in my opinion. 

What was the point of this album? To reach a new audience with hip hop tracks? To get the most bang for their buck with the 14 million dollars spent to record these songs in the first place? Did Axl think there was actually a market for this? Overall im glad if this was the record they allegedly he submitted in ‘10 that it was rejected. 

*no one ask for links pls let’s have a nice and happy thread and also you can be banned so make the right choice y’all 

Rob Zombie used to be big on the remix albums.  It could be an attempt to tap into a different audience, it could be a labor of love.  Axl looked to change his sound to more industrial in the late 90's, he clearly is open to experimenting with different sounds.  

I see it as being part of a re-release or stop gap between CD and CD II.

Maybe it would be like cross between Zooropa and NIN remix albums. Going Down, The General, Atlas Could all be included. 

In 2010 it would have been good. It might have needed some post production to mold it all together like an UNKLE album. 

But it would probably be the 7th album of the contract and rec comp probably were holding out for a reunion record. Maybe The General, Atlas, Soul will be on that. 

32 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Rob Zombie used to be big on the remix albums.  It could be an attempt to tap into a different audience, it could be a labor of love.  Axl looked to change his sound to more industrial in the late 90's, he clearly is open to experimenting with different sounds.  

Yeah I think it’s just what bands do now. CD is a 90s album so it’s par for the course. I would expect Axl to do something more epic with the format, the remix album to have legit songs on it like Zooropa. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeonKinight said:

It'd be like "further down the spiral" by NIN. I guess nobody would give a fuck about it, IMO. 
And we're not even talkin' about the fans reaction...

Axl sort of needed to have a record and remix album in his situation. Maybe Slash and Duff would never come back. In that case he had material. 

Now it looks like bound for CD boxset in 20 years. 

I'd also note that we're looking at the following tracks (in no particular order)

Better (Better Gone) - leaked
Shackler's Revenge - leaked
This I Love - leaked
Prostitute (Blood In The Water) - leaked
If The World - leaked
Sorry - not leaked, but performed by Brain and Melissa during the Clippers and Rockets 2017 half-time shows, along with If The World, and Better (Clippers only) and a KISS cover/remix.

This lines up with the six remixes mentioned previously.

2 hours ago, millhouse83 said:

I'd also note that we're looking at the following tracks (in no particular order)

Better (Better Gone) - leaked
Shackler's Revenge - leaked
This I Love - leaked
Prostitute (Blood In The Water) - leaked
If The World - leaked
Sorry - not leaked, but performed by Brain and Melissa during the Clippers and Rockets 2017 half-time shows, along with If The World, and Better (Clippers only) and a KISS cover/remix.

This lines up with the six remixes mentioned previously.

yes, just not confirmed in any way by Brain or Melissa or anyone else, that Sorry was made back in the day together with the other five. it's just us assuming Sorry was the sixth remix, based on 7 years later live performance.

48 minutes ago, zombux said:

yes, just not confirmed in any way by Brain or Melissa or anyone else, that Sorry was made back in the day together with the other five. it's just us assuming Sorry was the sixth remix, based on 7 years later live performance.

Well with reasonable expectation for that to be right...Why the hell would brain go back and remix Sorry again recently? He did his body of remix work then, he's surely not on the pay roll now...

1 hour ago, zombux said:

Correct. Nothing confirmed re: track 6, but the evidence (and listening to the other tracks that are both performed live at the half-time shows as well as leaked) is rather compelling.

For all we know, even if it is the missing track (and sounds like the live Sorry remix), it might not have been completed, or not distributed from the same source that had the other five tracks, etc. It might not be something that could be leaked as things currently are, even if it is the sixth track.