What exactly slash told the media that pissed Axl so much?

10 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

wich things?

I think mainly the circumstances under which the band name was signed over to Axl. Slash had given two different versions for it through time. One was that he hadn't realised at the time what he had signed and blamed it on the band's lawyers. The other was that they were blackmailed by Axl via third parties before a show to sign over the name, otherwise Axl wouldn't go on stage. Axl's side is that both those versions were lies and that they knew what they had signed. In his book Slash said nothing about the circumstances.

And in general, that Axl was a dictator, that he viewed GnR as his solo project and wanted to force his musical direction to the others etc. Axl has his own version about all this, although he never expressed it coherently, just fragments in his few interviews and in his forum chats.

It's true that when one reads those Slash interviews gets a totally black and white impression, that Axl was single-handedly responsible and to blame for everything. I have read many sources and I think it was a little more complicated than that.

I can't post all the quotes (they are too many), but you can read almost all the interviews here, starting from 1995:

http://www.a-4-d.com/f19-gn-r-interview-and-articles-archive

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

"It wasn't even me necessarily leaving the band," Slash told Piers Morgan years later. "It was not continuing on with the new band that Axl put together, that he was now at the helm of. The new Guns N' Roses. I was given a contract to basically join his new band, and it took about 24 hours before I decided this was the end of the line."

McKagan explains that he was tired of the band becoming run almost entirely by Rose: "I went out for dinner with Axl and I told him, “Enough is enough. This band is a dictatorship and I don’t see myself playing in those conditions. Find someone else.”

"[Axl] fired me two or three times and he called me back... [...] We all have been fired at least one time! You never heard about it? (laughs) Seriously, it's true that he sometimes goes too far. Sometime I open my mouth and I say 'Ok, Axl, fuck off!', then he fires me. So? I know he will call me the next day. I feel I'm in security and I know I will be the GNR drummer for a long time." (Matt, 1996)

The main problem, according to Stradlin, came down to building tensions with his childhood friend and GNR frontman Axl Rose. What was once a collaborative effort had slowly begun to resemble a tyranny led by the singer.

"I tried talking to him, during the Illusion albums: 'If we had a schedule here, come in at a certain time ... ' And he completely blew up at me: 'There is no f---ing schedule,'" Stradlin told Rolling Stone. "There was one song on that record that I didn't even know was on it until it came out, 'My World.' I gave it a listen and thought, 'What the f--- is this?' But Axl made it clear that he was going to do things his way, and there was no space for debate. So I had to make it clear to everybody that that was the end of the line for me.”

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think mainly the circumstances under which the band name was signed over to Axl. Slash had given two different versions for it through time. One was that he hadn't realised at the time what he had signed and blamed it on the band's lawyers. The other was that they were blackmailed by Axl via third parties before a show to sign over the name, otherwise Axl wouldn't go on stage. Axl's side is that both those versions were lies and that they knew what they had signed. In his book Slash said nothing about the circumstances.

And in general, that Axl was a dictator, that he viewed GnR as his solo project and wanted to force his musical direction to the others etc. Axl has his own version about all this, although he never expressed it coherently, just fragments on his forum chats.

It's true that when one reads those Slash interviews gets a totally black and white impression, that Axl was single-handedly to blame for everything. I have read many sources and I think it was a little more complicated than that.

I can't post all the quotes (they are too many), but you can read almost all the interviews here, starting from 1995:

http://www.a-4-d.com/f19-gn-r-interview-and-articles-archive

That is what I was looking for. Thanks y'all! 

Nobody knows!

We've had his conversation many times and it doesn't make sense, Rose's grievance against Slash. Briefly, Slash was the model of restraint, and what Slash did say that could be construed as pejorative was no worse than statements by Izzy and Duff, neither of whom seemed to attract Rose's opprobrium. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

I think with Slash it hurt more because it was like a marriage and a divorce. They both have made this comparison in their interviews and they haven't made it about anyone else (although Axl's and Izzy's relationship was closer to a real friendship and Axl was hurt about it too). Izzy and Duff were friends Axl had fallen out with, Slash was the equivalent to an ex.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

The break up makes sense when you see the years that followed. 

Slash/Duff wanted to make a rock album. They ended up doing plenty of that with VR, SMKC, Snakepit, Loaded. It wasn't as good without Axl though. Nowhere near stadium level.

Axl had indeed become a dictator. He wanted to make the music he wanted and use whatever players necessary to do that. Spent years copying and pasting pieces from a long list of musicians and called it Guns. Gag orders and all that crazy stuff. It wasn't good without Slash/Duff though. Ultimately ended up playing bowling alleys.

All the same issues are there today. Axl still has little interest in a hard rock Guns album or releasing music at all. Slash/Duff still have little interest in piano based ballads, electronic etc. 

They just put all that to the side for now. Plenty of money to be earned from touring. And why not, the money pays their retirement fund. 

It is kinda weird to me that Axl set out to be a rock singer, wrote and co-wrote some great rock songs but as soon as he had the power he wanted to become Elton John and later some kind of industrial/experimental musician.

Even Freddie Mercury kept a "rock and roll" base to the later Queen albums, at least until he was fighting AIDS at which point the music got softer and more strange.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

It is kinda weird to me that Axl set out to be a rock singer, wrote and co-wrote some great rock songs but as soon as he had the power he wanted to become Elton John and later some kind of industrial/experimental musician.

It's not weird to me. He liked a lot of different things and he wanted to do different things. It doesn't mean that doing one thing he was abandoning the other.

And the diversity was there from the beginning, November Rain, the "Elton John" thing. And other things, that demo of The Garden he did with West Arkeen, with the distorted vocals etc. it was nothing like what GnR was doing.

• Like 3

The most frustrating thing is that he had his own band literally people that worked for him and he realesed only one album and we know there are many other songs which are propably very good like Checkmate, The General but propably we will never hear them. Wasted years

24 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

The most frustrating thing is that he had his own band literally people that worked for him and he realesed only one album and we know there are many other songs which are propably very good like Checkmate, The General but propably we will never hear them. Wasted years

That's my biggest problem. 

Lack of any sort of productivity doesn't really give Axl a leg to stand on where the fued is concerned. 

Dude ended up winning the war in the end though. So... Well played, I guess? 

12 hours ago, sl4yer said:

Maybe the problem was exactly that he had people that worked for him. He didn't have a partner/bandmate to tell him he should stop editing the same songs over and over, for example.

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's my biggest problem. 

Lack of any sort of productivity doesn't really give Axl a leg to stand on where the fued is concerned. 

I don't see how the two are related though. His basic complaint against Slash, from his POV, was that Slash left and didn't help him do the mid-90s album.

Edited by Blackstar

Whenever I’ve looked at it, I’ve looked at the amount of albums Slash has made vs. Axl. Axl made one that was pretty good. But, it took him 14 years to make 1 album. Slash, on the other hand, has had 3 bands, with 2 albums each. I personally like All of Slash’s albums more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I don't see how the two are related though. His basic complaint against Slash, from his POV, was that Slash left and didn't help him do the mid-90s album.

That's where I think the connection is, actually. Axl says Slash wouldn't help him complete an album, right? Well Slash was replaced, so was Izzy, so was Gilby and Axl still couldn't get it done til 2008 and only had 1 album to show for the whole time Slash was gone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's where I think the connection is, actually. Axl says Slash wouldn't help him complete an album, right? Well Slash was replaced, so was Izzy, so was Gilby and Axl still couldn't get it done til 2008 and only had 1 album to show for the whole time Slash was gone.

Because Slash was irreplaceable :lol:

Seriously, it wasn't just simple to "replace" Slash; not only as a lead guitarist, but as a band mate. That, of course, doesn't justify all the delay and under-productivity.

4 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

Whenever I’ve looked at it, I’ve looked at the amount of albums Slash has made vs. Axl. Axl made one that was pretty good. But, it took him 14 years to make 1 album. Slash, on the other hand, has had 3 bands, with 2 albums each. I personally like All of Slash’s albums more.

Yeah, me too, that's the point

• Like 2

While I'm glad that we have the band back together (sorta) and I did enjoy the New GN'R era for what little we got out of it...when I sit and think about it, it is truly depressing that this band...whom had the entire rock world lit on fire in the from the late 80s to early 90s...just vanish without much word until years later...I remember a SNL skit with David Spade doing a news report...saying the lines "where is Axl Rose?" I believe it was around  95. Just thinking of all the wasted potential, all the good music that they all could of worked on together if Axl had not become so paranoid. One has to wonder what was happening to him physiologically during those years where he would become so secluded, doing everything on his own terms...even if he probably didn't know what those terms were til the exact moment. Even years later you have to wonder how true everything was thats been said about him. Have the ex band members/current embellish a little bit and their judgement and recollections of the events clouded by all the drugs/booze they were downing? who knows... Thankfully we have what we have now...lets just hope this isn't it once they decide to wrap the tour up...lets hope new music is on the horizon and not just them sailing off into the sunset.