Avengers: Endgame

ZoSoRose

10 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Loved it. I was overwhelmed by it and I'm looking forward to the next film. 

What do you mean by “next film” exactly? The Avengers films, as far as we know, are over. So I assume you mean another one of the future marvel films like Spider-Man Far From Home, correct?

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Because I enjoyed Infinity Wars so much and the approach they took with it, I still think they should have made more of an effort to do a film that was actually about fighting Thanos. That's not what this was, it was about finding infinity stones.

The problem is, they used that premise to do a "greatest hits" scenario where they return to past movies, hang out with ancillary characters and tip their hat to references far and wide.

Only in the last act does the battle even begin and by then, it's almost too late to make it amount to anything but emptying the toy-box and having all the action figures fight.

I guess it was enough to satisfy people but I was down for a film that was less about tying up every loose end and more about earning an epic victory. This is why I think taking the stones away from Thanos was a mistake - he became just another Vanilla villain after that and it hurt the great work they did building him into this walking juggernaut at the end of the last film.

Yeah, I can relate to those sentiments. 

The first two-thirds of the movie just wasn't fun for me.  It felt like a treasure hunt through rehashed scenes as a means of connecting previous stories with the overarching narrative.  When they took out Thanos at the end I quickly thought, okay, so this will turn into a time travel saga.  I guess I expected they would figure out another way of severing Thanos with the infinity stones but turns out time travel was the best they could come up with.

The final sequence was glorious to watch, but as you mentioned, it kind of came a little too late.  I also kept asking myself, "where's Captain Marvel?"  Part of the problem with making a character too powerful, her presence would render the rest of the cast moot so they need to come up with an excuse to have her offscreen.  

I'll need to see it again before I make a final decision.  Still a fun movie overall but not quite the one I expected after seeing Infinity War.  

18 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

wow! I wouldn't be surprised if down the line another Avengers movies comes about with new younger actors playing the leads.

It seems they are doing this with the X Men movies. A lot of the actors are younger now than the original ones.

That's Hollywood, always want new and younger actors to play roles.

Yeah, but I hated that most of the Avengers disappeared especially Grout. I love him!

I am Grout

mix-grout1.jpg

Edited by luciusfunk

17 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

What do you mean by “next film” exactly? The Avengers films, as far as we know, are over. So I assume you mean another one of the future marvel films like Spider-Man Far From Home, correct?

I bet in years to come more Avengers movies come out with younger actors.  

But yeah, there will be a new Spiderman this summer and another Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm sure more Thor movies too. As long as their are fans and money is made, they will continue, I'm sure.

Did any of the theatres you guys went to have an intermission? I don't think I could sit for 3 hours. lol Although, the movie theatre I usually go to has recliner leather seats now. Still I've heard from friends that they cried and I really don't want to cry in front of people I don't know. I think I will wait for the blue ray and cry at home. Sometimes I really sob at things because it reminds me of loved ones I've lost and I can't stop.

Either way, I will eventually see this movie for sure.

I know where I rank this amongst the other MCU films now:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. Thor: Ragnarok
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  6. Black Panther
  7. Avengers: Endgame
  8. Avengers: Infinity War
  9. The Avengers (aka Avengers: Assemble)
  10. Iron Man
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  13. Doctor Strange
  14. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
  15. Iron Man 3
  16. Thor
  17. Captain America: The First Avenger
  18. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  19. Iron Man 2
  20. Thor: The Dark World
  21. The Incredible Hulk

Haven't seen Captain Marvel yet.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Confused 1

Black Panther above Avengers 3 & 4? I need to go back and watch them all again before I can make a list. I want so much to like Thor: The Dark World, but I just can't. I still haven't sat through it all the way without falling asleep. I watched Doctor Strange again on Thursday and it still holds up pretty well for me.

They mostly blend together to me. Seen them all except Captain Marvel/Doctor Strange and Hulk. The series is fine, but there's no chance of me being able to list them in order or re-watching them.

Thor: Ragnarok was easily the most fun for me and maybe Civil War 2nd? Homecoming was fun, but not as good. The Ant-Man films were fine, but nothing that stands out. Black Panther was good, but it still descends into a boring CGI mess like most. Then factor in the hype and cynicism surrounding it's Oscar nomination and being portrayed as one of the greatest films ever made. Age of Ultron was boring and the first Avengers films was fine (yet one of the most over hyped films of all time).

I can't even remember the Iron Man films that well (which should say it all, though I enjoyed 3 the best). I do remember being bored by the first two Thor films and original Captain America.

This film is just like Infinity Wars to me. It's fun, but the final CGI battle is a little too much Ready Player One.

On 30/04/2019 at 3:55 AM, downzy said:

I also kept asking myself, "where's Captain Marvel?"  Part of the problem with making a character too powerful, her presence would render the rest of the cast moot so they need to come up with an excuse to have her offscreen. 

Like Superman in a Justice League film. You have to turn off your brain and ask why the other heroes are needed when you have someone who could pretty much do everything themselves.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Black Panther gets a huge bump for solely due to the fact that the villain was, imo, written beautifully, and then protrayed even more beautifully by Michael B. Jordan.

That's what I heard everybody say in reviews.

Then they went and named the character Killmonger (!)(?). I know we're dealing with comic book characters and they have origins in broad territories, but man, what an awful name. Like waving a flag and getting hit over the head with a hammer: "This is our villain! He has Kill and monger in the same name!"

It's almost the same wink-wink as Apocalypse Now; naming the crazy surfing Lieutenant Killgore.

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

This film is just like Infinity Wars to me. It's fun, but the final CGI battle is a little too much Ready Player One.

Dude, you speak the truth. That was on my mind every freakin' second of it.

So much so that I could literally hear Dee Snider, plainly screaming "We're not gonna take it!..."

On 5/5/2019 at 10:42 AM, appetite4illusions said:

That's what I heard everybody say in reviews.

Then they went and named the character Killmonger (!)(?). I know we're dealing with comic book characters and they have origins in broad territories, but man, what an awful name. Like waving a flag and getting hit over the head with a hammer: "This is our villain! He has Kill and monger in the same name!"

It's almost the same wink-wink as Apocalypse Now; naming the crazy surfing Lieutenant Killgore.

The name Killmonger is only mentioned once as being an old military callsign nickname he had back when he was a black ops mercenary. For the rest of the film he is either referred to as Eric Stevens or N’Jadaka.

Edited by rocknroll41

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my ranking of the MCU movies. (Only ranking the one's I've seen obviously)

1. Captain America: Civil War

2. Avengers: Infinity War

3. Ironman

4. Spiderman: Homecoming

5. Avengers: Endgame

6. Guardians Of The Galaxy

7. Ant-man

8. Black Panther

9. Thor: Ragnarok

10. Avengers: Age of Ultron

11. Ant-Man and the Wasp

12. Ironman 3

• Like 1

On 30/04/2019 at 3:08 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah. I was talking about Far From Home. Hoping to see that as soon as possible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 9:05 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Black Panther gets a huge bump for solely due to the fact that the villain was, imo, written beautifully, and then protrayed even more beautifully by Michael B. Jordan.

I loved the fact that to me he really wasn't a real villain. I mean his dad was killed and he was left on his own. I understood why he was pissed off and wanted his place in their kingdom. Okay, he went about it wrong, but other men fought Black Panther, so why not him?

Anyway, I liked how this movie didn't shy away that even though their kingdom was safe and happy, many other blacks were not and the dilemma of helping their own kind.

• 1 month later...

I watched those that came out before the first Avengers movie including that one and stopped cause they were progressively more boring for me to watch.

I remember I saw that Taika Waititi (easily my favorite "younger" director) directed Thor: Ragnarok but I somehow forgot to watch it until a few days ago I saw that he's doing another one so I decided to finally do it and it was glorious. Like, I don't even remember the story but I loved how just bizzare and stupid it was, love that Thor became basically The Dude with muscles. It felt like an improv then I watched some BTS and basically a lot of it was. Jeff Goldbloom doing Jeff Goldbloom was great.

Then I got hyped and wanted to see how they ended it and watched Infinity War and Endgame. The first one was good, it had everything one good comic movie should have and they prepared it really nicely for the ending. Theeen the Endgame, I thought it wasn't good at all. I don't like their big resolution, it just creates a lot of room for plotholes but I had no problem with that really. They handled it well enough. Good things were, ending fight was really good. Captain America was badass. Ironman doing the final blow was also good and felt satisfying. Professor Hulk was fun

What I had problems with: They figured out way too easily how to travel through time. "I can't do it. That's stupid" /5 minutes later/ "There we go". I didn't like the death of Black Widow, it really felt cheap. Fat Thor was fun then his resolution was really fast and non believable. Captian Marvel was OP and they ignored her cause of the plot. We NEVER saw what a real world looks like now with the half of population gone. And genuinely I really didn't enjoy watching the movie, I didn't get immersed in and I was annoyed a lot because I didn't feel that the ending fight was earned, it felt like they got there cheaply

Edited by Nicklord

Got the Blue ray. Just have to find 3 hours to watch it! lol

My daughter told me a lot of it, so I know who dies and other stuff, but I still need to watch it one day soon. I never watched man or wasp and ant nor Captain Marvel. All these movies are making me nuts.

I didn't see the new Spider man, but I did like the other one.

I hope they make another Guardians of the Galaxy. I love all those characters. Who knows?

I did see Infinity Wars. Bought the DVD. It was good.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more