The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Yeah, The General definitely seems done. May be clutching at straws here but given that Axl said that Oklahoma had been retitled Berlin I hope that means that he'd done some work on lyrics/vocal melodies since 2001. In the chats he also said he'd sung Soul Monster/Me and My Elvis on a Christmas Eve. The fact he'd at least done a guide vocal for Quick Song means he could have fleshed it out at a later date. 

So a real best case scenario re an album seems to be (excluding Going Down):

Hard Skool, Absurd, Atlas, Perhaps, Eye on You, The General, Nothing, Quick Song, State of Grace, Berlin, Soul Monster

Eleven tracks is doable. Even if nothing came of Quick Song that's still ten.  Bit short compared to Chinese's fourteen but still marketable. Nothing in its '01 state is pure filler but I'm sure the band could flesh it out. Still, shows that he could have put have an album out between 2009 and 2014 if that stuff was done as Going Down could have been included then which brings it up to eleven-twelve songs which is a decent length. The most interesting thing about the leaks to me is that  they show that an album could have easily been put out in 2002 so I think Axl's reluctance to put stuff out in the years before 2008 wasn't due to any lack of material. 

Edited by BassistSeb

16 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

Plus, to be blunt, so much of Bucket's solo instrumental output sounds amazing and one the big frustrations is we didn't have Axl singing on more of Bucket's stuff. 

I couldn't agree more. Imagine a solo project with Bucket and Brain with Axl on a CD or 2. That is how CD 1-3 should have been, largely.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I couldn't agree more. Imagine a solo project with Bucket and Brain with Axl on a CD or 2. That is how CD 1-3 should have been, largely.

Am I the only one that just figure it out that in the beginning of Shackler's Reevenge the guitar emulates chicken noises?

Where was I all this time that I didn't even notice this?

12 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Am I the only one that just figure it out that in the beginning of Shackler's Reevenge the guitar emulates chicken noises?

Where was I all this time that I didn't even notice this?

I thought that about Jordan, but not Shackler's. I'm not sure what sound he was going for there.

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

You're so, so, so, so!!!! repetitive!!!.

The general was finished in late 2007, bumble talked about having recording his parts on the track. It was as finished as any other song on CD. 

So straight off you're spouting on about a song that was completed 13yrs ago, saying it was or could still be basically unfinished with no vocal. It's probably being reworked now, but there was 100% a finished version ready to go in 2008 with vocals. Left off because it couldn't fit, nothing to do with quality.

That was Atlas that he said they left off because it didn't fit.

Unfortunately, when we heard Atlas, it was understood perfectly why it was left off.

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

It should have been.

Unfortunately Rose didn't put in the work, so Bucket/Brain stopped wasting their material and moved on.

2 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

Yeah, The General definitely seems done. May be clutching at straws here but given that Axl said that Oklahoma had been retitled Berlin I hope that means that he'd done some work on lyrics/vocal melodies since 2001. In the chats he also said he'd sung Soul Monster/Me and My Elvis on a Christmas Eve. The fact he'd at least done a guide vocal for Quick Song means he could have fleshed it out at a later date. 

So a real best case scenario re an album seems to be (excluding Going Down):

Hard Skool, Absurd, Atlas, Perhaps, Eye on You, The General, Nothing, Quick Song, State of Grace, Berlin, Soul Monster

Eleven tracks is doable. Even if nothing came of Quick Song that's still ten.  Bit short compared to Chinese's fourteen but still marketable. Nothing in its '01 state is pure filler but I'm sure the band could flesh it out. Still, shows that he could have put have an album out between 2009 and 2014 if that stuff was done as Going Down could have been included then which brings it up to eleven-twelve songs which is a decent length. The most interesting thing about the leaks to me is that  they show that an album could have easily been put out in 2002 so I think Axl's reluctance to put stuff out in the years before 2008 wasn't due to any lack of material. 

Good post.

I think you're very realistic in your expectations and I've said the same for a while.

IF there are additional unheard songs, the likeliest candidates are Oklahoma (due to the supposed lyrical theme) and Elvis (due to Axl mentioning singing it).

After that, you'd suggest Tonto and Cuban Skies due to them appearing on the list but there is no evidence they are done.

My best guess is Silkworms, Perhaps, OMG, Atlas and Hardskool are done.  State of Grace was nearly completed.

Oklahoma, Quick Song, Elvis, Nothing have partial vocal.  Cuban Skies, Tonto, Quick Song have vocal melody guides.

I think Going Down will be abandoned (unfortunately).  Eye on You doesn't really count, but due to the low output, they may include it as a 'fun' closer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, merces said:

There's not even a question whether it's complete or incomplete (ie vocals) right?

I mean, Axl played the completed song incl. vocals on some after party in sweden right....I mean why is that still being discussed?

We don't know, we have one guys word for it.

From the very limited audio, it sounds like it's finished to me.  It could be State of Grace level finished, and played as a 'look at what we are working on'.  It could be a hoax, but I doubt it.

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

State Of Grace is a great song that was never mentioned, Perhaps is a good song that was never mentioned (I know it's on the CD2 list, but almost everyone assumed it meant "...and perhaps these songs below" and wasn't a song title)... we have no idea what's left. We've seen titles that are supposedly finished, like Cuban Skies, The General, etc. which for whatever baseless reason you've decided are unfinished or were abandoned.

I'm not waiting or expecting to hear these songs, but there's been at least an album in "the vault" for the last decade. I guess it's kind of like the "You Could Be Mine demo" debate - an AFD-era demo of the song probably exists, but we'll also probably never hear it, and that's fine. Same for the CD demos. Why won't we hear those songs? I don't know. Axl is fuckin crazy so it's pointless trying to apply logical reasoning like "if the songs are good, release them".

The 2021 singles were exactly what I've been saying fans should expect for the last few years - old recordings with Slash and Duff pasted on top. The next single could definitely be Atlas (I hope it's not, because Brian May was easily the best part of that song) but I don't necessarily have a problem with using 1999-2008 vocals... I'd rather hear Axl sound good than sound like a grandma.

Someone else said similar - The Village Disks unearthed stuff we didn't know about, so there must be load of other stuff we don't know about.  It's wrong IMO.

It doesn't matter how we interpreted 'Perhaps' at the time, we now know it was listed as a song-title.

Which means, way in advance of the leaks we knew about almost every single song they'd worked on with vocals.

If the Village Disks were full of songs with vocals nobody had ever heard, then I'd be completely wrong.

However by 2001, there were 19 songs that  we know 100% Axl had sung on, and we knew about 17 or 18 of them.  The 1 definite unknown isn't really a song.

Songs with vocals (complete or incomplete) done by 2001

"Madagascar" WE KNEW
"Prostitute" WE KNEW
"T.W.A.T." WE KNEW
"Atlas Shrugged" WE KNEW
"Rhiad" WE KNEW
"Chinese Democracy" WE KNEW
"Catcher In The Rye" WE KNEW
"The Blues" WE KNEW
"Silkworms" WE KNEW
"If The World" WE KNEW
"IRS" WE KNEW
"Hard School" WE KNEW IT EXISTED AS A CLIP LEAKED
"Oh My God" WE KNEW
"Perhaps" WE KNEW - SONG-TITLE WAS ON A CIRCULATED TRACKLIST FOR A POTENTIAL FOLLOW UP
"Quick Song" WE KNEW, WAS MENTIONED IN AN ARTICLE WAY BACK
"Nothing" WE KNEW - SONG-TITLE WAS ON A CIRCULATED TRACKLIST FOR A POTENTIAL FOLLOW UP
"Going Down" WE KNEW - MSL MENTIONED IT AS A TITLE AND IT LEAKED PRIOR TO LOCKER LEAK

"State of Grace" WE DIDN'T KNOW - ALTHOUGH 'SOG' WAS APPARENTLY LISTED ON A FORUM POST PRIOR TO LOCKER LEAK
"Eye On You" - WE DIDN'T KNOW - BUT IT'S BARELY A SONG

Vocals were likely done after 2001 for the following:

"This I Love" WE KNEW
"The General" WE KNEW
"Better" WE KNEW
"Sorry" WE KNEW

So anyone making a point that that the Village Disks unearthing loads of material Axl was working on that we knew nothing about is completely false.  We knew about it all apart from maybe 1 song (which some say they saw) and 1 throwaway demo/rap.

It unearthed the opposite.  A bunch of songs we knew about (with a few that we hadn't heard) and a load of instrumentals submitted by ex-employees.

Edited by Pele

As a long-time fan, I can understand being ecstatic at the prospect of some lost GN'R epic just waiting to be unearthed, but, folks, it's been pretty evident to me, since at least 2013, with the Bumblefoot leaks of OMG and Silkworms, that there just wasn't going to be this gigantic swath of finished material.

Ideas?  Thousands. Instrumentals?  Likely number in the hundreds.  Finished songs, complete with vocals?  All told, I'd be shocked if there were more than 28 or so.

I know everyone wants to assume that there is a Prince-like vault of sparkling gems, and, I would really love that to be the case, but, I don't believe it's a coincidence that almost every leak that has escaped the studio has largely contained the same songs over and over.  I know there have been exceptions, but, by and large, we seem to have some trouble coming to terms with the fact that the same batch of songs were sculpted, polished, chiseled away at, and polished again, for years.

I know a few of you will shoot back with song titles, old quotes, interviews, etc.  Please don't bother.  I've seen every one, read 'em all. Heard Axl talk about A-lists and B-lists, heard various band members over the years throw out percentages, likelihoods...It's all...a musician speaking.

Look, I get it.  I love reading interviews from my favorite artists.  I eat it all up!  Same time, let's be real...I don't know how many musicians everyone has been around in the real world, but, we're talking about....musicians! Are we really pinning our hopes on the fact that Tommy Fkn Stinson said that there were X number of songs in some interview in NME or Spin in 2008?

Axl himself may have said there were 28 or 32 "A-List" songs.  There very well may be, except, maybe eight or nine of them were 80% there and maybe only needed a vocal and a mix.  In that case, you may as well say they had 400 songs...who cares?  If this were almost any other band, you could knock those out in four days.  Him?  They could be sitting on a zip drive somewhere in Laguna Beach, 80% done in 2004, still needing that 20%.  Good luck getting him to sing on those!

Hope I'm proven wrong, contrary to what some of you may think, but, I'll believe it when I see it, and, so far, all evidence points to not all that much beyond what we already have. It sucks, and it's such a monumental waste, but, so far, at least, it's the truth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pele said:

So anyone making a point that that the Village Disks unearthing loads of material Axl was working on that we knew nothing about is completely false. 

I can't remember ever having read someone make that point. Good luck in your continued fight against straw men. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Someone else said similar - The Village Disks unearthed stuff we didn't know about, so there must be load of other stuff we don't know about.  It's wrong IMO.

It doesn't matter how we interpreted 'Perhaps' at the time, we now know it was listed as a song-title.

Which means, way in advance of the leaks we knew about almost every single song they'd worked on with vocals.

If the Village Disks were full of songs with vocals nobody had ever heard, then I'd be completely wrong.

However by 2001, there were 19 songs that  we know 100% Axl had sung on, and we knew about 17 or 18 of them.  The 1 definite unknown isn't really a song.

Songs with vocals (complete or incomplete) done by 2001

"Madagascar" WE KNEW
"Prostitute" WE KNEW
"T.W.A.T." WE KNEW
"Atlas Shrugged" WE KNEW
"Rhiad" WE KNEW
"Chinese Democracy" WE KNEW
"Catcher In The Rye" WE KNEW
"The Blues" WE KNEW
"Silkworms" WE KNEW
"If The World" WE KNEW
"IRS" WE KNEW
"Hard School" WE KNEW IT EXISTED AS A CLIP LEAKED
"Oh My God" WE KNEW
"Perhaps" WE KNEW - SONG-TITLE WAS ON A CIRCULATED TRACKLIST FOR A POTENTIAL FOLLOW UP
"Quick Song" WE KNEW, WAS MENTIONED IN AN ARTICLE WAY BACK
"Nothing" WE KNEW - SONG-TITLE WAS ON A CIRCULATED TRACKLIST FOR A POTENTIAL FOLLOW UP
"Going Down" WE KNEW - MSL MENTIONED IT AS A TITLE AND IT LEAKED PRIOR TO LOCKER LEAK

"State of Grace" WE DIDN'T KNOW - ALTHOUGH 'SOG' WAS APPARENTLY LISTED ON A FORUM POST PRIOR TO LOCKER LEAK
"Eye On You" - WE DIDN'T KNOW - BUT IT'S BARELY A SONG

Vocals were likely done after 2001 for the following:

"This I Love" WE KNEW
"The General" WE KNEW
"Better" WE KNEW
"Sorry" WE KNEW

So anyone making a point that that the Village Disks unearthing loads of material Axl was working on that we knew nothing about is completely false.  We knew about it all apart from maybe 1 song (which some say they saw) and 1 throwaway demo/rap.

It unearthed the opposite.  A bunch of songs we knew about (with a few that we hadn't heard) and a load of instrumentals submitted by ex-employees.

It's not that the Village leaks unearthed "loads of stuff we didn't know about", it simply proved there were songs that were finished that we didn't know about.

We know Axl continued recording vocals over the next 5-6 years at least, and that Village instrumentals along with later instrumentals were completed.

You can be as adamant and repetitive as you want, but thinking we've heard everything, or heard of all the song titles, is ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

As a long-time fan, I can understand being ecstatic at the prospect of some lost GN'R epic just waiting to be unearthed, but, folks, it's been pretty evident to me, since at least 2013, with the Bumblefoot leaks of OMG and Silkworms, that there just wasn't going to be this gigantic swath of finished material.

Ideas?  Thousands. Instrumentals?  Likely number in the hundreds.  Finished songs, complete with vocals?  All told, I'd be shocked if there were more than 28 or so.

I know everyone wants to assume that there is a Prince-like vault of sparkling gems, and, I would really love that to be the case, but, I don't believe it's a coincidence that almost every leak that has escaped the studio has largely contained the same songs over and over.  I know there have been exceptions, but, by and large, we seem to have some trouble coming to terms with the fact that the same batch of songs were sculpted, polished, chiseled away at, and polished again, for years.

I know a few of you will shoot back with song titles, old quotes, interviews, etc.  Please don't bother.  I've seen every one, read 'em all. Heard Axl talk about A-lists and B-lists, heard various band members over the years throw out percentages, likelihoods...It's all...a musician speaking.

Look, I get it.  I love reading interviews from my favorite artists.  I eat it all up!  Same time, let's be real...I don't know how many musicians everyone has been around in the real world, but, we're talking about....musicians! Are we really pinning our hopes on the fact that Tommy Fkn Stinson said that there were X number of songs in some interview in NME or Spin in 2008?

Axl himself may have said there were 28 or 32 "A-List" songs.  There very well may be, except, maybe eight or nine of them were 80% there and maybe only needed a vocal and a mix.  In that case, you may as well say they had 400 songs...who cares?  If this were almost any other band, you could knock those out in four days.  Him?  They could be sitting on a zip drive somewhere in Laguna Beach, 80% done in 2004, still needing that 20%.  Good luck getting him to sing on those!

Hope I'm proven wrong, contrary to what some of you may think, but, I'll believe it when I see it, and, so far, all evidence points to not all that much beyond what we already have. It sucks, and it's such a monumental waste, but, so far, at least, it's the truth.

I don't think anyone here is claiming there are more than 28 finished songs from the CD sessions. What is it with fighting straw men today? :lol:

All signs point to there being 2-3 albums of music more or less finished in 2008. I don't think anyone is in disagreement on that. The disagreement lies more in what happened to the those songs that weren't entirely finished after 2008, including now recently. I would argue none of us knows exactly, but if we trust the rumours and qoutes on a new album being in the works, And Slash saying he has worked on lots of songs, then it isn't unlikely that a complete album exists now. 

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I can't remember ever having read someone make that point. Good luck in your continued fight against straw men. 

You made that point.

You said:

"Up until the Village leaks a few years ago, we knew nothing about the majority of the songs they had worked on in 2001. It makes a lot more sense to assume the band, post 2001, worked on more than exactly those few songs in that list of yours, and that similar to before the Village leaks, that what we have heard through releases and leaks, is just the tip of the iceberg"

You specifically made the point that we knew nothing about the majority of songs.  I corrected you and said we knew about them all (except 1-2).

We knew the existence of 17 out of the 19 songs he had with vocals (18 if you count the S.O.G. reference).

And this was in an argument specifically about songs with vocals.

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think anyone here is claiming there are more than 28 finished songs from the CD sessions. What is it with fighting straw men today? :lol:

All signs point to there being 2-3 albums of music more or less finished in 2008. I don't think anyone is in disagreement on that. The disagreement lies more in what happened to the those songs that weren't entirely finished after 2008, including now recently. I would argue none of us knows exactly, but if we trust the rumours and qoutes on a new album being in the works, And Slash saying he has worked on lots of songs, then it isn't unlikely that a complete album exists now. 

No one is claiming that there are more than 28 finished songs from the CD sessions,  yet "all signs" point to the existence of not one, but potentially TWO additional albums, of finished material?  How does that math work, and, what are these so-called signs? :wow:  

CD has 14 songs.  That leaves, according to you, since apparently no one is claiming more than 28 finished songs, how many?  Fourteen more.

So, again, no one is claiming there are more than 28 completed songs, and yet, apparently, all signs and rumors point to and additional two albums.

I'm horrible at math, but, since we established that there are fourteen remaining songs to work with, since no one is claiming more than 28, of course, your two additional albums would contain.....

Seven songs each?!?

Anyone citing rumors and signs pointing to two or three additional albums must therefore inherently believe that there are more than 28 songs completed, no?

Edited by oneway23

Just now, Pele said:

You made that point.

You said:

"Up until the Village leaks a few years ago, we knew nothing about the majority of the songs they had worked on in 2001. It makes a lot more sense to assume the band, post 2001, worked on more than exactly those few songs in that list of yours, and that similar to before the Village leaks, that what we have heard through releases and leaks, is just the tip of the iceberg"

If you read carefully, and concentrate really hard, you might notice that I was talking about all the leaks from the Village sessions, including instrumentals, not only those Axl had worked on which you listed :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, oneway23 said:

No one is claiming that there are more than 28 finished songs from the CD sessions, yet "all signs" point to the existence of not one, but potentially TWO additional albums, of finished material?  How does that math work, and, what are these so-called signs? :wow:  

Jesses. Can none of you read? :lol: Those 2-3 albums were with "more-or-less finished songs", as I stated, whereas those 28 songs you mentioned were finished. Is it hard to understand that there could be more songs that are existing in a state of not being entirely finished than there are songs that are entirely finished?

And as for what those signs would be, numerous quotes from band members and others as well as leaks.

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Several are in disagreement that there was 2-3 albums of music more or less finished, if by finished you mean with vocals?

I'd say is very, very obvious that's not the case.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If you read carefully, and concentrate really hard, you might notice that I was talking about all the leaks from the Village sessions, including instrumentals, not only those Axl had worked on which you listed :lol:

Why on earth would you be making that argument though, in an argument about what songs have vocals after 99.

Everyone knows there were loads of instrumentals.

A lot of us have now worked out there wasn't many songs with vocals.

7 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

No one is claiming that there are more than 28 finished songs from the CD sessions,  yet "all signs" point to the existence of not one, but potentially TWO additional albums, of finished material?  How does that math work, and, what are these so-called signs? :wow:  

CD has 14 songs.  That leaves, according to you, since apparently no one is claiming more than 28 finished songs, how many?  Fourteen more.

So, again, no one is claiming there are more than 28 completed songs, and yet, apparently, all signs and rumors point to and additional two albums.

I'm horrible at math, but, since we established that there are fourteen remaining songs to work with, since no one is claiming more than 28, of course, your two additional albums would contain.....

Seven songs each?!?

Anyone citing rumors and signs pointing to two or three additional albums must therefore inherently believe that there are more than 28 songs completed, no?

I read that too!

"Nobody is saying he had 28 finished songs but all signs say they had 3 albums of songs more or less finished!"

There are absolutely NO signs pointing to another 2 albums, let alone 1!

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Hilarious. No, when I wrote "2-3 albums of music more or less finished" I didn't not mean they all had vocals :lol:

Ok.  Why do you keep telling people that there are instrumentals in a discussion about how many songs has Axl sung on?

We all know there are tons if unfinished instrumentals - that's the whole point!

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

Why on earth would you be making that argument though, in an argument about what songs have vocals after 99.

Everyone knows there were loads of instrumentals.

A lot of us have now worked out there wasn't many songs with vocals.

The question isn't why I would make that argument, but why I bother trying to discuss with you at all :lol:

As for why I made that argument: I was pointing out that just as we had little idea about the wealth of songs-in-development back in 2001, it makes equally little sense to believe we know all about the songs-in-development after 2001. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Jesses. Can none of you read? :lol: Those 2-3 albums were with "more-or-less finished songs", as I stated, whereas those 28 songs you mentioned were finished. Is it hard to understand that there could be more songs that are existing in a state of not being entirely finished than there are songs that are entirely finished?

And as for what those signs would be, numerous quotes from band members and others as well as leaks.

Again, "more or less" might be meaningful in the case of any other band.  With GN'R, it's practically worthless.  I don't care if there are 150 songs 96% completed.  If that remaining 4% to complete involves needing vocal from Axl, you may as well throw your argument in the bin.

If "numerous quotes from band members and others(??)" is the foundation of your point, I'd suggest you've learned very little with regard to this band in the past three decades.  If reality were based on Fortus quotes, they'd have added approximately forty-two completed albums to their official discography since 2002.

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

There are absolutely NO signs pointing to another 2 albums, let alone 1!

Of course there are signs suggesting another two albums of material in various stages of completion; I wouldn't say there were if there weren't :lol: Those signs are the fact that we knew they had worked on more than 28 songs already back in 2001 and of course direct quotes from band members stating "2-3 albums worth of music". And now I await your hilarious claim that band members lied about this for obscure reasons so you can preserve your pet theory about the small amount of material that exists.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The question isn't why I would make that argument, but why I bother trying to discuss with you at all :lol:

As for why I made that argument: I was pointing out that just as we had little idea about the wealth of songs-in-development back in 2001, it makes equally little sense to believe we know all about the songs-in-development after 2001. 

Everyone had an idea of the number of instrumentals they were likely working on?

When the leak happened, the shock wasn't the instrumentals!

The biggest shock was that there was actually a good song called State of Grace which flew under the radar.

1 song!  And guess what?  The vocals weren't finished.