The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I suppose because he's an "outside" musician (not currently in the band).

So from that we could probably take that there are no other outsiders playing (Buckethead etc). 

If that's the case pretty much all of HardSkool and Absurd , apart from the vocals, must have been re-recorded. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

So from that we could probably take that there are no other outsiders playing (Buckethead etc). 

If that's the case pretty much all of HardSkool and Absurd , apart from the vocals, must have been re-recorded.

Yes, that's what I think , too - and Slash said as much. The credits for Absurd were out there upon the release, but people have still been speculating.

36 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Again, poor Frank. Wouldn't wanna be a member of a band where they re-record everything and the only bit they keep is the part of my predecessor... :lol:

He'll know the score.  He knows what he has/hasn't worked on and therefore he's not expecting an album to come out or anything.

He just gets paid to tour.

Same with Fortus - he's been about for around 20 years without a writing credit to his name, but he's fine with being paid to tour.

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I assume it's Frank on Hard Skool, but it honestly doesn't matter. The drums were so heavily edited that it may as well have been a drum machine. :no:

I always thought UYI had the worst drums - compressed sound and robotic playing - but Absurd and HS are far worse, especially the bass drums.

UYI has perfect drumming. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Ok, no worries! Thanks for looking. Just curious really. 

Even finding out who plays on the tracks is difficult! We never found out conclusively if it was Adler or Frank on SOYL even. 

Was Frank

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Was Frank

Yeah I was on BJB’s discord server when Marc Canter came on the voice chat to promote his podcast and he mentioned how he didn’t like the Mike Clink 1986 version of SOYL when he finally heard it in 2018, and I said “you know Marc, there’s rumors that it’s not even really the Clink ‘86 version. A lot of us think it’s Frank on drums instead of Steven” and then he nervously laughed and said “I didn’t know that was a rumor… I don’t wanna deny or confirm anything…”

Translation: It’s definitely Frank…

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Was Frank

Confirmed means Frank spotted in a studio recording the drums to the track. Frank saying "yes I played drums on that song" or any current band member or management member saying he did. All I've ever seen to "confirm" Frank played on it was an awkward interview where he said "that's a question for management"... so I kinda think he at least touched it up, but that's not confirmation.

If there is more solid evidence I missed it and link me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I was on BJB’s discord server when Marc Canter came on the voice chat to promote his podcast and he mentioned how he didn’t like the Mike Clink 1986 version of SOYL when he finally heard it in 2018, and I said “you know Marc, there’s rumors that it’s not even really the Clink ‘86 version. A lot of us think it’s Frank on drums instead of Steven” and then he nervously laughed and said “I didn’t know that was a rumor… I don’t wanna deny or confirm anything…”

Interesting. Did Marc say what he didn't like about SOYL?

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Interesting. Did Marc say what he didn't like about SOYL?

Not that I remember, no. I think he just said that it didn’t live up to his expectations. Then we got off the subject and talked about other stuff. Pretty much things that he’s already said elsewhere like the first time Axl played November Rain for him and how they were asked to play at an Elvis tribute in 1994 but turned it down cause they forgot Heartbreak Hotel.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, CubanSkies Dummy said:

I don't know. I don't want "trashy" songs on the brand new album like Absurd, Here Today, Perhaps, Roll On 2 You or even Atlas Shrugged.

But it's hard to know, really.

All things considered, I want a brand new EP.

The hell is up with this trend with CD era GNR fans of completely making up or going along with made up song titles lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’d say the translation is: He doesn’t know…

30 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Yeah, not really seeing where we're getting "it's definitely Frank" from, lol. 

After all, there's no "definitely" in the world of GNR. Only "hopefully", "at some point", "sort of", etc., see my signature. 

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Nah. The playing is fine, but has none of the groove that Steven or Brain had. The drums (and overall production) on TSI? and Sympathy For The Devil sound way better than UYI.

Is groove needed in for example Right next door to hell or You could be mine?

• Like 1

I haven't posted here in years (around the Axl/DC era!) but thought I'd check back in considering the recent(ish) leaks and the singles this year. Life/work has sort of got in the way in the last few years so I've been out of the loop. My personal feeling is that if the leaks are a real indication, there aren't enough finished songs in the vault for a full album and so Chinese should have been put out as a double album in 2008 and a line written under it. I'm surprised Hard Skool was sat on for so long as it would have been a perfect single for radio as it's the most oldGuns sounding song from that era. I also feel that the ship has sailed on Chinese stuff post-reunion and whilst it's fun to hear Slash and Duff add their spin to songs from that era (love Slash's addition to Absurd), I'd rather they did stuff from scratch as the leaks of the songs will be more indicative of what they were intended to sound like. Having said that, hoping we get Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps this year as it'll mean more songs for the setlists. State of Grace has real potential but seems a bit like a work in progress lyrics/vocals wise and whilst I love Going Down, don't see that ever getting released as it's a Tommy penned song (or sounds like it anyway) with him on lead vocals. 

Still hope that we get Axl singing over some new Slash/Duff jams for one last hurrah but not counting on it. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 2

I see more people than Pele talk about Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps as the next singles. Why is that? Why not The General and Perhaps? Or Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace? Or The General and Soul Monster? Are people of the opinion that only Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps exist with vocals? Is it contagious?

Personally, I think Perhaps would need more work before it could be released, at least a better mix. I get that Atlas is likely to be the next we hear since it was intended to be included on CD. But as for the other singles (if we even get singles and not just an album), could just as easily be any of the more-or-less finished songs back in 2001 as another unknown or known song that was finished either before the release of CD (like Atlas or, presumably, The General) or a song finished after (like Soul Monster and likely other songs).

21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I see more people than Pele talk about Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps as the next singles. Why is that? Why not The General and Perhaps? Or Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace? Or The General and Soul Monster? Are people of the opinion that only Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps exist with vocals? Is it contagious?

Personally, I think Perhaps would need more work before it could be released, at least a better mix. I get that Atlas is likely to be the next we hear since it was intended to be included on CD. But as for the other singles (if we even get singles and not just an album), could just as easily be any of the more-or-less finished songs back in 2001 as another unknown or known song that was finished either before the release of CD (like Atlas or, presumably, The General) or a song finished after (like Soul Monster and likely other songs).

Just working from the leaks to avoid disappointment primarily. I'm reminded that the big vault leaks are only up to 2002 and so part of me wants to hope there was more stuff after that and more songs with vocals.  We know that Bumble went over the songs prior to the album's release so who knows if there aren't more completed versions of the songs around somewhere. Given how old the leaks are it's true the vault stuff is probably not the best indication of what finished stuff there is. I suppose the fact that there was no follow up record soon after if there were songs good to go and the choice of the singles from last year supports the idea that the finished vault tracks are all there are is. Didn't Bumble say that some of the songs on one of his solo records were originally ideas for Guns or am I misremembering? Including The General that brings it to around seven finished leftovers if we're working from the vault stuff so some writing would have been required to have enough songs for another album after the release of Chinese

Thinking about it, just including the released album tracks, Oh My God and the leaks with vocals there were enough songs for two albums in the 2000s (two eleven track records). CD1 could have been all the songs that were played live and the 2006 leaks, with something like This I Love added in with CD2 being all the then-unheard songs. Releasing Chinese with fourteen tracks left something of a shortfall regarding a follow up. 

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

To add. Adler said that wasnt him playing too.

So... its was FF.

And of course it was, just listen the drums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Because a lot of people have now grown out of the idea that he had a load of unreleased 'big guns' that he was holding back for CD2 and CD3 (lol).

Anyone with an ounce of common sense has worked what releasing Silkworms/HardSkool meant.

You may believe it's some crazy coincidence that they released 2 new songs, and it happened to be 2 of the 4 completed songs from the sessions, and not Seven, Zodiac, SoulMonster, Berlin, Tonto, Ides of March, Leave Me Alone, Elvis Presley or whatever else you might believe there is.

People aren't gullible enough to believe he has all these unreleased songs, yet chose to release Silkworms and HardSkool by coincidence.

Yes, you're right, Atlas is likely to be next.

Yes, you're right, Perhaps needs more work and another verse, but he'll get away with releasing it without having to do any vocals, so he'll probably do so.

People don't know what state The General is in - if it has a full, usable vocal, then it's just as likely as Perhaps but we don't know.

Not as many people think State of Grace will be next because the vocals aren't usable - so it would mean he needed to re-record and people are starting to see how unlikely that is.

I don't think many people are gullible to believe Soul Monster is a completed song with full vocals at this point.  It's likely an instrumental with some scratch vocal melody over it at best.

We get it - you think he has an album full of unreleased songs, and for whatever reason, has chosen not to release any for a decade, any you believe they'll be released within 5 years.

A lot of us think you're dreaming at this point.

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1