Last Guns n Roses concert Argentina 93

DurhamGirl

I am just watching Guns Argentina 93, their last concert together, and the energy is crazy, the audience are crazy...but they never played again and nobody saw or heard from Axl for years afterwards!  I was not around then so for anybody who was, what was it like, what were your feelings etc

• Like 1

I wasnt around either, but this story from that show stands out in my mind,

Gilby shared a story about how Axl leaned into his ear as they were performing there and said "Enjoy your last show." Or maybe it was just before the show? Anyways,  Gliby thought this was a joke until iirc he shares that something happened/was said while he was getting dropped off at the end of the tour that made him realize that Axl may not have been joking after all.

Jokes on Axl really - it was Axls last show for a long time, while Gilby had a hit single and then a major tour with Snakepit following that show. And then Axl decided to return from the wilderness years by performing with Gilby in 99/2000, lol. 

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, soon said:

I wasnt around either, but this story from that show stands out in my mind,

Gilby shared a story about how Axl leaned into his ear as they were performing there and said "Enjoy your last show." Or maybe it was just before the show? Anyways,  Gliby thought this was a joke until iirc he shares that something happened/was said while he was getting dropped off at the end of the tour that made him realize that Axl may not have been joking after all.

Jokes on Axl really - it was Axls last show for a long time, while Gilby had a hit single and then a major tour with Snakepit following that show. And then Axl decided to return from the wilderness years by performing with Gilby in 99/2000, lol. 

I tend to believe that Axl was joking, because it seems that, although he didn't want to write with Gilby, he was willing to keep him as a touring member.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I tend to believe that Axl was joking, because it seems that, although he didn't want to write with Gilby, he was willing to keep him as a touring member.

Could be, yeah. Jokes still on Axl though. Gilby should have introduced him in 99 by saying "enjoy your first show." lol

If axl were merely joking, given that jokes are usually a reference to something real, I wonder what kinda discussions Gilby was privy to behind the scenes that would make a joke like that relevant? Or was it a media speculation at the time, maybe, since Izzy had been around earlier that year? I figure the joke would have to be in reference to something?

39 minutes ago, soon said:

Could be, yeah. Jokes still on Axl though. Gilby should have introduced him in 99 by saying "enjoy your first show." lol

If axl were merely joking, given that jokes are usually a reference to something real, I wonder what kinda discussions Gilby was privy to behind the scenes that would make a joke like that relevant? Or was it a media speculation at the time, maybe, since Izzy had been around earlier that year? I figure the joke would have to be in reference to something?

I don't know, Gilby shared that story 20 years later, in 2013 

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/gilby-clarke

So I don't think it had anything to do with the contemporary press or anything. Maybe it was something Gilby assumed or concluded when he thought about it in hindsight later, even years later, because the context in which he told the story in the above interview was that the "joke" wasn't just about him, but Axl wanted to break up the whole band.

But it seems Axl found it amusing making jokes like that at Gilby or about him - and possibly at/about others.

From the Making of November Rain:

Axl: So the video, it just all went very smoothly. Meanwhile I was telling Gilby that “we have a great shot of your arm.” And then the night we were recording the performance shot, there’s places where he would, like, come over to the piano and jam with me, “Here we are, we are together for the video.” And [after] about five times that we did takes, I’m looking over at Gilby and I’m like, “Gilby, none of it is gonna be in this video, because this is where the solo is, where Slash is gonna be out in the middle of the desert or something. So it’s just not gonna work” (laughs). And he was like, “Yeah, yeah, alright.”  

And from the making of Estranged:

Axl (talking to Robert John and someone else): Did you hear about Gilby getting asked - the talent scouts found him in some biker bar. Gilby was in a biker bar, and they were like, “You guys would be great for extras in the Guns N’ Roses video.” And he was like, “I think I already got asked about that.”

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I was watching a Rock Legends episode about Guns on AXS tv and the dude said Axl, Slash, and Dizzy(I think) went back to their hotel and jammed all night after the show.

That's right! Axl played the piano at the Hyatt Hotel, after their very last show. There's even an audio recording of it, it's on YT.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He was definitely joking. He was looking less bloated too.

• Haha 2

I like the July 17th show, I'd much prefer a Proshot version of the July 16th show. I think the acoustic performances are better, albeit, some of the songs are cut off due to the radiobroadcast. I think Axl sounds less strained and tired in his vocal performances during these shows, as opposed to the Saskatoon show--his voice sounds drained, especially during SCOM. 

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I like the July 17th show, I'd much prefer a Proshot version of the July 16th show. I think the acoustic performances are better, albeit, some of the songs are cut off due to the radiobroadcast. I think Axl sounds less strained and tired in his vocal performances during these shows, as opposed to the Saskatoon show--his voice sounds drained, especially during SCOM. 

I think Axl knew these were going to be the last shows for a very long time so he just went balls out, even more than usual.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:37 PM, soon said:

What are we considering a hit single and major tour? Gilby has never had a charting single and Snakepit were playing theaters (the same ones GnR played before they hit it big) outside of festivals...

I don't blame Axl for wanting to sit that out

12 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

What are we considering a hit single and major tour? Gilby has never had a charting single and Snakepit were playing theaters (the same ones GnR played before they hit it big) outside of festivals...

Cure Me or Kill Me did really well. It was so popular that it solidified Gilbys place in the rock community post-Guns, leading to his part in a hit TV show too. And Pawnshop Guitars remains the most widely respected solo album by any of them, save maybe for Slashs first one.

Snakepit - who featured f'n Slash directly after UYI - toured the world. They played a nighttime slot at Donnington festival and performed on Letterman along with many other tv spots like John Stewart. Selling a million albums while they were at it.

Edited by soon

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Cure Me or Kill Me did really well. It was so popular that it solidified Gilbys place in the rock community post-Guns, leading to his part in a hit TV show too. And Pawnshop Guitars remains the most widely respected solo album by any of them, save maybe for Slashs first one.

Snakepit - who featured f'n Slash directly after UYI - toured the world. They played a nighttime slot at Donnington festival and performed on Letterman along with many other tv spots like John Stewart. Selling a million albums while they were at it.

I doubt Gilby is living off the royalties of Cure Me or Kill Me...or Pawnshop Guitars in general. Maybe it was a critical hit, but it definitely wasn't a commercial one.

Again, outside of festivals they played theater dates. The album debuted (and peaked) at #70 and only had 1 single.

1 minute ago, Crazyman said:

I doubt Gilby is living off the royalties of Cure Me or Kill Me...or Pawnshop Guitars in general. Maybe it was a critical hit, but it definitely wasn't a commercial one.

Again, outside of festivals they played theater dates. The album debuted (and peaked) at #70 and only had 1 single.

... And for these reasons, you think its good that Axl instead took like 7+ years off from touring and then failed miserably at it in 2001 and 2002? 

You do you.

(Snakepit had two singles with videos that they promoted on major TV shows)

On 19/06/2020 at 1:11 AM, Crazyman said:

Slash had only wanted to play theatres of wanting to come down from playing the huge sized shows during the illusions period. He wanted to have a more intimate type feel compared to the arena sized shows he was used to. Also as a,way of trying to get back in touch with himself again.

28 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

to preserve his voice..

If he wanted to preserve his voice he could have given them up, instead of waiting until the late 90s to give up smoking.

The filter just seems eccentric.

On 17/06/2020 at 9:05 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

JxnsLaZ.jpg

The quality isn't great but it's cool to hear.

Is that slash sitting on the right of axl?.