Why does this band bring out such an emotional response?

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Late 2017 onwards was patchy for sure but before that it was really good with the odd awesome show. It’s difficult to measure the chemistry as I think for the most part it’s fine live.....we just don’t know how it’s translated in the studio.

Tbh i'm more a fan of Slash and to me he seems very different with GnR than with his own band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I don't even consider them a real band anymore. I love their old stuff but i rarely play it, there's not a lot to choose from after all. 

I had already decided after 2017 that i won't bother seeing them anymore. Axl sounds awful and there's no chemistry with the band. 

I'll stick to watching pre '94 shows and SMKC 

I consider them a real band, but in actuality It hasn’t been a real band since ‘89 or ‘90, and that goes for any line up. It’s always Axl and the other guys. It’s different now because Axl is dependent on Slash and Duff to maintain his lifestyle and relevance.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I don't even consider them a real band anymore. I love their old stuff but i rarely play it, there's not a lot to choose from after all. 

I had already decided after 2017 that i won't bother seeing them anymore. Axl sounds awful and there's no chemistry with the band. 

I'll stick to watching pre '94 shows and SMKC 

You must have missed Richards interviews, he said there's great chemistry... best buds... sectioned off backstage away from each other, only meeting 30 seconds before the show starts, or if for some reason their catering order goes to the wrong room😄

I'm happy having seen them in what I consider a great period, where Axl sounded good and cracked great jokes... also the time he walked off, and was forced to come back on. If I see another show, it's in support of a new album... I can't say I'd refuse a free ticket or something crazy though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Tbh i'm more a fan of Slash and to me he seems very different with GnR than with his own band. 

The chemistry will be strong with SKMC - he has been with them almost twice as long as he has been back with GNR.

Which is why it’d be interesting to see what any new stuff will be like. I’ve not been impressed with SMKC apart from  the odd stand out track (which tends to be really good TBF). I find it to be really generic stuff mainly - and I’m convinced Axl and Duff would raise it a few levels.

Likewise - Slash can elevate other songs ala NR and Estranged with the RIGHT solos that the song demands....it’s no coincidence that SMKC seems to miss ‘epics’ and CD didn’t really have straightforward hard rock.....they complimented each other back then. I think/hope they can still do it.

Well they had an energy that was amazing and even if you watch reaction videos of people watching the band’s songs you can see that energy. Personally why I at times got annoyed on this message board is because they were the first band I ever said out loud to people I was a fan of. This was late 90s early 2000s but the songs have gotten me through some low points and so it annoys me that someone as talented as Axl rose is, and taking into account his quirks, he’s a millionaire in spite of himself not because of himself. The band from its beginning has been a case of what if, because the amount of potential they squandered because of issues they had with themselves and with  each other is sad. 

• Like 2

Because at this point, it's an abusive relationship.

We keep hoping that the band has changed and things to be different, only for the band and management to continue to figuratively stumble drunk through the door once again to repeat the cycle of disappointment. All the while we see our friends such as Metallica and AC/DC fans continue to have a fairytale relationship.

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

The chemistry within SMKC is more real and obvious than seeing slash go through the motions with GNR.

Thing is - he has built up that chemistry over something like 10 years with SMKC as opposed to half that with reunion-GNR.

I guess we will need to see what the actual chemistry is really like when we have some actual studio tracks to hear.....eventually!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

The chemistry within SMKC is more real and obvious than seeing slash go through the motions with GNR.

I think the chemistry between the big 3 is apparent. It’s still palpable to me. Slash has made albums and spent a lot of time with SMKC. And, Slash had to come in and find chemistry with Frank, which sounds like it was a challenge. Slash shines in GNR. In SMKC he is definitely the draw, but it feels different. I’m certain Slash has a stronger connection to GNR material. 

• Like 1