[NEW ALBUM DISCUSSION THREAD] Gibson Launches Record Label, to Release Slash Album Next Year

Ralphelmo

• 2 weeks later...

Well in my opinion the chorus of Hard Skool could have easily been on AFD and overall the song has a UYI vibe. Now if Slash can come up with another Anastasia or Wicked stone then ok. But based off Slashs recent first singles: driving rain, world on fire and you're a lie, I really don't expect this first single to be as good as Hard Skool. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong though as I absolutely love slash and prefer seeing SMKC live over GNR due to the overall energy and vibe. :slash:

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

What? 

sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. By The Sword doesn't represent the average quality of a Slash single imo. That's one of the best Slash tunes. Usually the singles he picks don't come close to it so your comparison is ineffective imo.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. By The Sword doesn't represent the average quality of a Slash single imo. That's one of the best Slash tunes. Usually the singles he picks don't come close to it so your comparison is ineffective imo.

He said HS is far superior to Slash’s lead singles. By The Sword was Slash’s first lead single and is way better than HS. That was my only point.

Driving Rain isnt great, but You’re a Lie and WOF weren’t bad singles. HS is fresh now but when all the dust settles, it won’t be considered much better (if any) than them imo. The mixing and drums themselves bring HS way down. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skik08 said:

As much as I love SMKC, I just know it won't top Hard Skool. I think it would be a bad idea to release his new single so close to HS. People will realise you simply can't beat that old gnr sound

8 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Hard Skool isn't 'old gnr sound' and/or that good song as you say. 

7 hours ago, skik08 said:

Well in my opinion the chorus of Hard Skool could have easily been on AFD and overall the song has a UYI vibe. Now if Slash can come up with another Anastasia or Wicked stone then ok. But based off Slashs recent first singles: driving rain, world on fire and you're a lie, I really don't expect this first single to be as good as Hard Skool. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong though as I absolutely love slash and prefer seeing SMKC live over GNR due to the overall energy and vibe. :slash:

Nah I think he's got plenty of songs that are as good or better than Hard Skool. WOF is a better song imo.

24 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

HS besides really nice riff is pretty generic (and has a really, really bad solo and layered vocals), it's interesting how you guys don't see that if it comes to GNR but point it out in SMKC material :D 

I like the song but I agree that HS is kinda generic and I don't find Slash's main solo inspired, it's by the numbers and sounds improvised (and not in a good way) but his guitar work with the slide in the bridge is very Gn'R and the chorus is great. The chorus vocal melody feels like something only Axl could come up with so he makes the whole thing unique enough imo.

and no offense to those who like Myles in the band, but it's easier to notice when the singer of your band often one ups himself when it comes to bland and generic and with a guy like Slash who is a special talent. This quote sums it up for me: (Apocalyptic Love review)

"If you were wondering why Slash, one of the greatest guitarists of his generation, chose to throw in his lot with Myles Kennedy, one of the greatly undistinguished hard rock vocalists of his generation, consider this: if you spent your life battling temperaments like Axl Rose and Scott Weiland, you'd choose somebody who's easy to get along with too."

Edited by Rovim