Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

You first mentioned the ''ancient Greeks'', however seeing as you have mentioned them, it shouldn't need to be stated that we would obviously look there first to find the earliest renderings of western atheism.

But we aren't talking about "western atheism", we are talking about atheism, period, which is the notion that there are no gods :lol:

Just now, SoulMonster said:

But we aren't talking about "western atheism", we are talking about atheism, period, which is the notion that there are no gods :lol:

Are we? Alright then. Eastern atheism? Yip, philosophers invented that also. Taoism and Hinduism are deeply philosophical.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hilarious. Soul Monster just discovering for the first time his entire raison d'être - the sciences, atheism - is down to something he hates, philosophy haha. It is like the finale from Planet of the Apes

I’d pay to see the two of you in an odd couple sitcom. :lol: 

• Haha 1

Only people who buy that vegan junk from the grocer is the friends and family members of vegans who buy it last minute when the vegan is coming for dinner. 

This picture may indicate that the friends and families of vegans intend to let said vegans fend for themselves in the zompoc, though. :lol:

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are we? Alright then. Eastern atheism? Yip, philosophers invented that also. Taoism and Hinduism are deeply philosophical.

But we aren't talking about either "western atheism" or "eastern atheism", but atheism as a concept, the idea that there are no gods. 

You seem to think that this simple idea originally arose with the ancient Greek, coincidentally around the same time written history started and about 150,000 years since humans started to think about things. I find that hilarious. There is really nothing more to say about this.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hilarious. Soul Monster just discovering for the first time his entire raison d'être - the sciences, atheism - is down to something he hates, philosophy haha. It is like the finale from Planet of the Apes

Actually, as part of my PhD I took courses in the history of philosophy, so I am quite familiar with Bacon and Descartes and all that, in fact I wrote about how science developed out of, and replaced, philosophy, about 30 posts ago. Welcome to the party, I guess. 

But this is just you trying to change the focus from me putting even more emphasis on the hilarious fact that you think the first person who had the brainfart to question whether gods existed, happened to live just about the time when writing was developed, about 150,000 years after humans started to think about stuff. But of course I won't.

24 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I’d pay to see the two of you in an odd couple sitcom. :lol: 

How much? :lol:

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But we aren't talking about either "western atheism" or "eastern atheism", but atheism as a concept, the idea that there are no gods. 

You seem to think that this simple idea originally arose with the ancient Greek, coincidentally around the same time written history started and about 150,000 years since humans started to think about things. I find that hilarious. There is really nothing more to say about this.

But I didn't even bring the Ancient Greeks up. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

But this is just you trying to change the focus from me putting even more emphasis on the hilarious fact that you think the first person who had the brainfart to question whether gods existed, happened to live just about the time when writing was developed, about 150,000 years after humans started to think about stuff. But of course I won't.

Writing commenced earlier than the ancient Greeks. Indeed, the Greeks borrowed their script from the Phoenicians. 

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But I didn't even bring the Ancient Greeks up. 

You claimed that the idea of there not being any gods started with philosophers: "The irony of all ironies is that your favourite thing in the entire world, atheism, was invented by philosophers haha". I then made fun of you thinking that it started with Greek philosophers and said "It didn't take humanity 150,000 years to finally arrive at a fellow who had the novel idea, that, hey, maybe there are no gods!?" to which you replied, "It surely was." So yeah, you actually tried to argue that it started with ancient Greek philosophers :lol:. Furthermore, you even tried to argue for why it could only have happened this late in human history: "Probably because ancient societies were really ossified pertaining to class, only the upper class having access to education." 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Writing commenced earlier than the ancient Greeks. Indeed, the Greeks borrowed their script from the Phoenicians. 

Duh, I know, hence why I wrote "just about the same time". In humanity's history of 150k years, a couple of thousand years on either side is "just about the same time".

Edited by SoulMonster

You claimed that the idea of there not being any gods started with philosophers: "The irony of all ironies is that your favourite thing in the entire world, atheism, was invented by philosophers haha". I then made fun of you thinking that it started with Greek philosophers and said "It didn't take humanity 150,000 years to finally arrive at a fellow who had the novel idea, that, hey, maybe there are no gods!?" to which you replied, "It surely was." So yeah, you actually tried to argue that it started with ancient Greek philosophers :lol:. Furthermore, you even tried to argue for why it could only have happened this late in human history: "Probably because ancient societies were really ossified pertaining to class, only the upper class having access to education." 

I made no comment on the ethnicity or era of these philosophers. It was you who made the assumption they'd be ''ancient'' and ''Greek''. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I made no comment on the ethnicity or era of these philosophers. It was you who made the assumption they'd be ''ancient'' and ''Greek''. 

It doesn't matter whether they are Greek, you blockhead, my point was that it didn't happen as late in human history as you hilariously think :lol: You obviously thought it originated with ancient Greeks, otherwise you wouldn't have defended that argument as you did.

Edited by SoulMonster

It doesn't matter whether they are Greek, you blockhead, my point was that it didn't happen as late in human history as you hilariously think :lol:

I'm the blockhead? I am not the one who has just discovered their whole belief structure sprang from something they hate haha.

This is serious people. I think somebody else is using Soul Monster's computer. He sounds different. It is hard to put into words but he sounds less thorough, less Germanic. I am being serious. This feels more like the type of idiocy you see in the guns and roses area. Maybe the old Soul expended all of his energies on those corona virus monologues? 

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm the blockhead? I am not the one who has just discovered their whole belief structure sprang from something they hate haha.

Again, I learnt about the history of science as an undergraduate about 20 years ago. Courses in the philosophy of science was part of my PhD. And again, one of my initial posts on philosophy in this thread was about how science emerged from and then usurped philosophy as the leading discipline to figure out things. And I am entirely fine with that.

So I don't really know what you hope to achieve by repeating this nonsense again and again, except that it might serve to shift focus from the remarkable fact that you think it took humanity about 150,000 years to question whether gods exist. But as you see, it won't. It certainly doesn't bother me that you continue to make a fool of yourself, if that's what you think. I am not even embarrassed on your behalf.

Edited by SoulMonster

I have a little game for Soul. It is called Find the Atheist. To win he has to find an atheist from this 150,000 year period he keeps mentioning who isn't a philosopher. I'll make it easier on him in fact - say before the Reformation/Renaissance. Find an atheist from before 1600 who isn't a philosopher. 

At this point I'm going to ask that the discussion be limited to the topic. 

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------

"U.S. health officials on Thursday briefed lawmakers in Congress and said they believe the case fatality rate in this country will most likely be in the range of 0.1 to 1.0 percent, meaning somewhere between one of every thousand and one of every hundred people with covid-19 will die. That is roughly the same lethality range as influenza."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-mortality-rate/2020/03/06/b0c4cdfc-5efc-11ea-b014-4fafa866bb81_story.html

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

In humanity's history of 150k years, a couple of thousand years on either side is "just about the same time".

another a-scientific statement. you're a real philosopher, you.

... and you criticise me for citing a couple of wrong procent points.

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is serious people. I think somebody else is using Soul Monster's computer. He sounds different. It is hard to put into words but he sounds less thorough, less Germanic. I am being serious. This feels more like the type of idiocy you see in the guns and roses area. Maybe the old Soul expended all of his energies on those corona virus monologues? 

I wore him out for you, dies. I expect you to finish him of

16 minutes ago, downzy said:

At this point I'm going to ask that the discussion be limited to the topic. 

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------

"U.S. health officials on Thursday briefed lawmakers in Congress and said they believe the case fatality rate in this country will most likely be in the range of 0.1 to 1.0 percent, meaning somewhere between one of every thousand and one of every hundred people with covid-19 will die. That is roughly the same lethality range as influenza."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-mortality-rate/2020/03/06/b0c4cdfc-5efc-11ea-b014-4fafa866bb81_story.html

my apologies downzy, only just saw your post as I went through the thread

• Like 1

Apparently sex-crime investigators working on behalf of the Vatican (talk about guaranteed job security) are postponing their trip to Mexico because of COVID-19. 

I guess there’s a few priests in Mexico who feel like their prayers were answered. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, action said:

... and you criticise me for citing a couple of wrong procent points.

Uhm, you claimed there was a 0.2 % probability of a child dying after getting infected with the corona virus while it was actually 0.0 %. That's not really "a couple of wrong procent points", but still very wrong.