Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

2 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

That is the problem, they allowed Novak to participate in the tournament, then when he arrived in the country they changed the story. 
If they had said before he came that unvaccinated people could not enter the country, he would of course not have gone to Australia.

EDIT: Personally, I think Djokovic will be vaccinated.

That's because Tennis Australia didn't communicate with the government. They fucked up as well, it's not all his fault, he went there thinking everything was taken care of.

Only about 30% of kids under 18 are vaccinated in the US. by the end of the month babies 6 months to 5 years old can get vaccinated. Let's see how many parents do this? 

This virus won't end any time soon if ever at this rate.

I don't understand how many people are not getting vaccinated? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Denmark has lifted their restrictions and Sweden has lifted most of theirs. Exactly as it should be when the vaccine uptake is high.

We have opened for vaccination of children down to 5 years of age here in Norway now. It is recommended for children over the age of 12 but not recommended for younger kids. My oldest daughter, who just turned 12, wants the vaccine and we support her in that decision. I am actually proud of her to come out and say she wants it when she is afraid of needles. The youngest daughter, age 9, does not want it, and we support her in her decision too. She has had Covid-19 already with next to no symptoms, so probably she has some protection from that.

For my oldest this is really a year with lots of vaccines - in addition to the shot of Covid-19 vaccine she is having three shots against tick-borne disease and two shots against HPV this year.

• Like 3

White tail deer have the covid virus. Too bad the hunters didn't eat them and got sick.

Hate hunting. Don't see why we would need to eat deer meat or for killing bears. You morons are in their world so bears have the right to kill you if you trespass. And don't get me started on rabbits.

Some animals we shouldn't hunt and eat.

Yeah, I eat meat and sometimes I wish I didn't.

Anyway, guess no species is safe from covid.

• Like 1

Got my two vaccines and the booster. I always get any vaccine that will keep me safe. To each his own, but with covid, it doesn't seem to be slowing down so I want my family and I to be protected from it.  I continue to wear a mask too and my daughter's school requires it too.

I understand a lot of people are sick of the rules, but since covid doesn't care it's up to each person to do their best. It's not just your life but the lives of others too.

• GNFNR 1

On 2/1/2022 at 5:47 AM, SoulMonster said:

@Sisyphus Just wanted to let you know that Norway is removing most restrictions again now after the omicron wave.

Marvelous. Has very little - if at all - to do with the vaccination rate or previous restrictions though. We'll talk in November. Nothing's changed though. You're still a lab rat. 

The exact same thing would've happened if we had done NOTHING. Nothing at all. Granted, there'd be more short term deaths but far less long-term damage.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:02 PM, SoulMonster said:

Denmark has lifted their restrictions and Sweden has lifted most of theirs. Exactly as it should be when the vaccine uptake is high.

We have opened for vaccination of children down to 5 years of age here in Norway now. It is recommended for children over the age of 12 but not recommended for younger kids. My oldest daughter, who just turned 12, wants the vaccine and we support her in that decision. I am actually proud of her to come out and say she wants it when she is afraid of needles. The youngest daughter, age 9, does not want it, and we support her in her decision too. She has had Covid-19 already with next to no symptoms, so probably she has some protection from that.

For my oldest this is really a year with lots of vaccines - in addition to the shot of Covid-19 vaccine she is having three shots against tick-borne disease and two shots against HPV this year.

At least 2/3 will work! 

On 1/22/2022 at 6:44 PM, SoulMonster said:

But turning back to Covid-19. This IS a very deadly disease that has killed millions and is GOOD and NATURAL that a lot of efforts are being spent on battling this disease. Are we spending too much? Quite possible, but I doubt we can conclude on that before it is over and we have assessed it thoroughly. At the very least, our efforts are not in vain because the vaccines developed have been hugely successful, and the experience gained will benefit new mRNA vaccines on other diseases of lower importance, too.

Covid is not a very deadly disease. You've been manipulated into thinking it is on par with the most deadly diseases mankind has ever encountered but the percentages do not support this notion at all. At all.

9 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Covid is not a very deadly disease. You've been manipulated into thinking it is on par with the most deadly diseases mankind has ever encountered but the percentages do not support this notion at all. At all.

There’s been about 1,000,000 deaths in the US. That is 1 out of 100 elderly! 1 out of 375 Americans have perished! (if I remember the number correctly - can't check now). In my opinion, that qualifies as a very deadly disease. 

Keep in mind that mortality from an infectious is a function of not only how deadly it is if you catch it, but also how efficiently it spreads. 

31 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Marvelous. Has very little - if at all - to do with the vaccination rate or previous restrictions though. We'll talk in November. Nothing's changed though. You're still a lab rat. 

The exact same thing would've happened if we had done NOTHING. Nothing at all. Granted, there'd be more short term deaths but far less long-term damage.

If we had done nothing we would have had many more deaths from Covid (and our hospitals would have been flooded with patients causing chaos and additional deaths from other diseases and injuries). 

With vaccines, many people who would have died from Covid-19 will now survive and continue living until they die from other causes. 

On 2/7/2022 at 3:20 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Hate hunting. Don't see why we would need to eat deer meat or for killing bears. You morons are in their world so bears have the right to kill you if you trespass. And don't get me started on rabbits.

Deer would overpopulate and starve if not controlled by responsible hunting. More would get hit by cars too. Try living in the country for a while. The more that are hunted, the better off your car is. They are like large rats. I'm not even a hunter. I have to dodge those stupid 4 legged fuckers on almost a daily basis on the roads. It's almost like they want to get hit.

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There’s been about 1,000,000 deaths in the US. That is 1 out of 100 elderly! 1 out of 375 Americans have perished! (if I remember the number correctly - can't check now). In my opinion, that qualifies as a very deadly disease. 

Keep in mind that mortality from an infectious is a function of not only how deadly it is if you catch it, but also how efficiently it spreads. 

Regardless, it is not even remotely comparable to an actual deadly disease. I maintain that nothing justifies the severity of actions taken across the globe. Maybe time will prove me right.

Also, what do you mean by removing most restrictions?

Edited by Sisyphus

8 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Regardless, it is not even remotely comparable to an actual deadly disease. I maintain that nothing justifies the severity of actions taken across the globe. Maybe time will prove me right.

A disease that has killed 1 out of every 375 Americans - the equivalent of 42 airplanes carrying 400 passengers crashing and killing everyone onboard every week, for 52 weeks - is not "comparable to an actual deadly disease"? A disease that has killed 1 out of every 100 Americans over 65 is not "comparable to an actual deadly disease"? A disease that has killed more people in the US than the 1918 flu did is not "comparable to an actual deadly disease"? A disease that has resulted in the life expectancy of US males being reduced by two years (!) is not "comparable to an actual deadly disease"?

In the US, Covid-19 was the third leading cause of deaths in 2020 (!), only coming behind heart disease and cancer, but coming above accidents, strokes, chronic lower respiratory diseases, Alzheimer's, diabetes, and influenza and pneumonia. THIRD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH. 

Let me repeat that: On a list of diseases that killed Americans in 2020, Covid-19 came on third place. Yet you claim it is not "comparable to an actual deadly disease"? Again, the only other diseases more deadly than Covid-19, was cancer and heart disease. So I assume in your opinion only cancer and heart diseases are "actual deadly diseases" then, and the rest on the list, including Covid-19, aren't?

I think the disagreement here stems from you focusing narrowly on the risk of dying if you get Covid-19, which is low compared to some other infectious diseases like ebola, marburg, ect, (but still much higher than the cold and the flu), and you don't take into account that SARS-CoV-2 is much more transmissible than ebola and marburg, and hence the total number of deaths -- which is what matters -- is MUCH higher from Covid-19 than with any other infectious diseases we have going at the moment. It doesn't matter what the risk of dying is if you get a disease, if you won't get it! And the flipside of that is that even a disease that typically cause fairly mild symptoms in most people, can be a terrible plague if it is very transmissible. That is why the omicron variant will likely kill more people than the delta variant - the fact that omicron is so much more transmissible will result in more deaths than the less transmissible delta despite the latter causing more grave symptoms.

We have to get away from the myth that Covid-19 is not a deadly disease. It has killed 5.8 million people worldwide. That's about the same amount of deaths as from the Vietnam and the Korean wars combined. Are you going to argue that these wars weren't deadly? Maybe you will argue that to some people, the soldiers, it was, but not to most people who stayed at home, but that is entirely equivalent to Covid-19 and ANY OTHER DISEASE: Not all people are affected the same because of varying immunity and exposure. Still, what matters is the total number of deaths, not whether you and I are in the risk group or not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

I mean that most of the restrictions imposed upon us by the Norwegian government as a response to the pandemic have now been lifted. How was that not clear?

More specifically, we don't need to social distance (as much), wear face masks (as much), no cohorts at school, bars and restaurants and pubs operate as normal, and if we get the disease the quarantine rules are simpler. And we are talking about very soon lifting the rest of the restrictions which means that we will be back to pre-Covid-19 status. 

And this is contrary to your argument that the politicians has used the pandemic as a pretense to impose restrictions they don't intend to remove.

Some US states are dropping their restrictions because cases are down. By the numbers I see people are still getting sick and still dying, but I guess that's life. All we can do is what's best for us.

This whole I don't want to get vaccinated shit is getting very old now and honestly if these people don't want to get vaccianted and do get covid they should be on their own. All these nurses and doctors who are working around the clock to get people well should not have to waste their time and energy and using all the machines and anything else to help these non vaccinated people get well. If they're on teir last leg then let it go. It's a waste of time to help someone who won't help themselves and if it's useless that's it.

Nurses and doctors are still working their asses off and many regualr patients are not being taken care of because the covid patients take up their time and the beds.

And I honestly can't stand people who aren't vaccinated and get covid and then beg for the vaccine. Too damn late.

I won't be taking any chances until the summer. That's when some doctors say another surge will be coming. This covid isn't done yet.

I'm sure anyone who has gotten vaccinated will need another booster by summer or at least fall and every year after like the flu and pneumonia shots we get every year.

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

More on the deadliness of Covid-19 and how it ranks among other pandemics (spoiler: it is among the 10 deadliest pandemics in history).

Plagues, ranked: How deadly is Covid-19? - Vox

They’ll come back saying the data is corrupt or fraudulent; that we can’t trust death totals.  It’s the same response to the nonsense we’re dealing with respect to the trucker blockades here in Canada. Point out that we just had an election four months ago in which the pro-vaccine mandate parties easily won more than 50 percent of the vote and hence why they run the government, the usual response by the “truckers” is that the election was rigged. They are not interested in anything close to an earnest and genuine discussion. 

39 minutes ago, downzy said:

They’ll come back saying the data is corrupt or fraudulent; that we can’t trust death totals.  It’s the same response to the nonsense we’re dealing with respect to the trucker blockades here in Canada. Point out that we just had an election four months ago in which the pro-vaccine mandate parties easily won more than 50 percent of the vote and hence why they run the government, the usual response by the “truckers” is that the election was rigged. They are not interested in anything close to an earnest and genuine discussion. 

My brother has a good friend who is a nurse and he still sees many covid patients. Most are unvaccinated and still some are dying.

Just didn't realize how many people don't want vaccinations.

Coming from New York, my parents always got the vaccines for themselves and us kids. I do the same for my daughter. Living in Texas and realizing some parents won't even get their kids the vaccines besides the covid ones. I just don't get this backwards way of thinking.

Vaccines have gotten rid of many deadly diseases and help us stay healthy. I wish somehow we could keep the unvaccinated ones away from the vaccinated ones and not deal with their shit.

"O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North
strong and free!"

Canadian citizens are pushing back on the covid restrictions, Like true Patriots! Truckers uniting to fight the tyranny of Trudeau. Lifted restrictions from all this nonsense has already begun in other countries. Freedom starts in Canada and will spread to the US. This only the beginning. Truckers unite!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

Canadian citizens are pushing back on the covid restrictions,

No we’re not. Only a few deluded assholes who neither respect electoral outcomes or the judicial process. 

Lifted restrictions from all this nonsense has already begun in other countries.

Those countries were hit several weeks prior to Canada. 

Freedom starts in Canada and will spread to the US.

What restrictions are you talking about? Your country has been mostly open for a long time. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, downzy said:

No we’re not. Only a few deluded assholes who neither respect electoral outcomes or the judicial process.

Some protesters defy the court order, as they should (in this case) Freedom is never free.

Those countries were hit several weeks prior to Canada. 

Huh? Sweden, England, Denmark and Norway have all lifted Covid restrictions as they look to reclassify the virus as a disease that does not pose a threat to society.

What restrictions are you talking about? Your country has been mostly open for a long time.

California, New York and a few other Democrat run states still run full speed ahead with restrictions. requiring children as low as 5 to wear masks and be possibly even be vaccinated! In my state there are zero restrictions (Republican of course) while a few other states won't let you go out to eat without proof of vaccination. It's hypocrisy, lies from the media, censorship on public forums. This will all end soon. It's time to wrap this thing up.

39 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Huh? Sweden, England, Denmark and Norway have all lifted Covid restrictions as they look to reclassify the virus as a disease that does not pose a threat to society.

I don't know about the wording of that, but yeah, here in Norway we have lifted restrictions because vaccine uptake has been really good and hence we don't need them anymore.