Absurd chorus

Just an interesting fact.

The meaning of the word absurd apparently meant something like 'lack of melody' or 'out of harmony'. By shouting the verse and the chorus Axl might actually be making reference to this original meaning of the word. Even the ethereal breakdown in the middle has a lack of melody in it, and a lack of harmony with the rest of the song.

You might say Axl wouldn't necessarily know this. However he is a professional musician who has taken musical lessons all of his life. So basically the stylistic things that a lot of us have criticized the song for might actually be done on purpose for thematic reasons.

This doesn't make the song a good song. It might just mean that it is less random than it might seem.

• ABSUЯD 1

6 minutes ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

It's shit.... only thing that could have turned it from shit to an average passable song an not skip it would have been not taking out the line:

So what can I do?

With a bitch like you?

Fact.

Agree.  That was the best part of the old Silkworms (actually the intro drums were killer, too).  With that said, I still like Absurd.

Also, did he record new vocals when shouting "absurd" in the chorus?  Or did he just cut the "absurd" part from the verse and paste that same exact vocal into the chorus?  I can't tell. 

Edited by kozydogg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kozydogg said:

Agree.  That was the best part of the old Silkworms.  With that said, I still like Absurd.

Also, did he record new vocals when shouting "absurd" in the chorus?  Or did he just cut the "absurd" part from the verse and paste that same exact vocal into the chorus?  I can't tell. 

My bet would be the latter given recent history. He didn't record new "ayes" (no idea how to spell the sound) over the solo in Hard Skool. They were cut and pasted from another demo.

Edited by Gnrcane

21 hours ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

It's shit.... only thing that could have turned it from shit to an average passable song an not skip it would have been not taking out the line:

So what can I do?

With a bitch like you?

Fact.

I always thought that was the worst part of Silkworms. Glad it was removed. Absurd is great!

17 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Interesting. I think I remember a 2001 live version which had:

What can I do

With a bitch like you

You know that it's true

The You know that it’s true line came right before all I ask of you

Evader’s remix of the live version with the village leak is still the best version of this song I reckon - studio instrumental and verse with the live chorus pasted in

edit: actually the way I’m thinking the chorus went might have just been Evader’s editing, could have been a separate chorus

Edited by Caedo