Chinese Democracy with Duff n Slash

Recently i was listening to the "modifications" that Slash n Duff added to the CD songs live (ie the intro to Better, etc), and Eddie interview to Slash he (slash) mentions that he knows when this songs where written an to whom (axl dedicated to slash) so he n Duff like to add their stuff to make them as their own.... today i was listening to CD all day and i was thinking that for me it would be cool if they re-release it with original vocals but re done by the current lineup... or at least release some songs re-recorded .. i would really love to hear what they can do with songs like Shacklers or Scraped for example..

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

I really like the new versions of all CD spongs, specially Chinese Democracy (song), Catcher, Better and Sorry. 

Slash fixed the CD (song) intro just by strumming it more graciously and the harmonics when hitting the strings, also without that longass intro.

Better has like more stuff going to it, that "drop" after Axl's mid screams and before last chorus they're doing now post 2021 is pretty cool too.

• Like 1

I have never found that Better intro to be anything special. They just stuck the bridge at the front of the song and Slash does some unison bends over it.

I'd say it's Chinese Democracy itself that benefits the most from the current line-up. It sounds a lot more raw with the "lean and mean" arrangement. Even at that, having them as some live bonus tracks would be enough for me. I don't think we need yet another re-release ahead of new material.

• Like 1

If we’re hoping for new GNR releases, my wish will always be for brand new material, not remixes of existing studio tracks. Sure, in a perfect world, I’d love a NITL Live Era release with Chinese Democracy songs included. But goddamn it, I wanna hear studio versions of the vaulted material that’s never seen the light of day. 

We’ve come full circle now hoping for Slash and Duff to re-record “Better” with the existing vocals. Ashba and Bumblefoot both already did (and their versions are not good).

ChiDem live is good by this line up. the rest of the songs aren't better with slash and duff. most of the slash solos being noticeably worse than the album. Would like to hear them do the whole album in the studio, but only after we've had say 3 more GnR Albums and the whole of the CD era tracks released. (LOL)

On 11/13/2022 at 1:22 AM, Spaghetti4twenty said:

at the end of the day i don’t think they should redo any CD songs. A lot of people would be mad if that was what was being passed as “new” reunion era material. however i still wanna hear the brain remix album that Axl mentioned in 2014. 

Me too, in addition to the second part of Chinese as it existed back then.

Each to their own I guess. I think it would be pretty cool for Chinese to be re-released as a double (as Axl himself said it was intended to be), with Slash and Duff re-doing the guitar parts from the 2008 album. Tag in the correct artwork and there’s a winner right there in my opinion 

• Like 2