GNR Tour 2022 among top 20 most grossing tours

No surprises here

Billboard Top Tours 2022 chart:

01. BAD BUNNY – $373,463,379 (65 shows)

05. COLDPLAY – $208,000,727 (40 shows)

06. THE ROLLING STONES – $179,349,815 (20 shows)

07. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS – $176,998,650 (31 shows)

08. DEF LEPPARD + MÖTLEY CRÜE – $173,474,649 (35 shows)

14. BILLIE EILISH – $106,194,096 (68 shows)

17. GUNS N’ ROSES – $93,383,197 (27 shows)

20. MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE – $87,926,378 (55 shows)

21. IMAGINE DRAGONS – $87,531,563 (59 shows)

26. IRON MAIDEN – $76,147,773 (47 shows)

34. DAVE MATTHEWS BAND – $62,563,364 (52 shows)

36. TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA – $54,649,313 (98 shows)

37. POST MALONE – $53,477,171 (30 shows)

https://www.billboard.com/2022-year-end-boxscore-charts/#top-40-tours

I really don't mean to sound naïve, but is $93 million really that much for a tour this scope? An international tour, with private jets, big staffs, tons of crew, the record company, Axl, Slash, & Duff getting guarantees, the rest of the band, the promoter...

I know they're not hurting for money, and that is obviously a ton of money to me, but I really wonder how much there is to go around when you consider everything listed above.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

I really don't mean to sound naïve, but is $93 million really that much for a tour this scope? An international tour, with private jets, big staffs, tons of crew, the record company, Axl, Slash, & Duff getting guarantees, the rest of the band, the promoter...

I know they're not hurting for money, and that is obviously a ton of money to me, but I really wonder how much there is to go around when you consider everything listed above.

It's only 27 shows though and I'd imagine the figure is based purely on ticket sales. You then have merch etc on top. I'd love to see a full breakdown of the accounts though, purely out of interest to see how many people have fingers in the pie. 

7 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

It's not about them.. 

It's supply and demand. 

Clearly promoters around the world see the demand and the value. 

It's the tour promoter who takes on the financial risk, not the band as they get paid regardless. 

If the tour is successful, the promotor makes a profit. If its not, the promotor makes a loss or in some cases the promoter will cancel the shows, often based on ticket sales, as they won't make a profit to cover the artists up front booking fee and guaranteed payment. The promotor can be legally liable and obligated to pay the booking fee as per written agreement aka a contract. 

The tour promoter covers the cost of the bands tour expenses via the upfront booking fee. The band would then have  set costings factored in to cover there own traveling costs mainly crew and personnel. 

The actual band members or artist would be on a set retainer in terms of direct remuneration. I would think, the big 3 would have received a larger percentage of the over all up front booking fee profits.. 

The band doesn't pay for hotel accommodation,local transportation (from the hotel to the venue etc), flights etc. Thats covered by the tour promotor. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking at those numbers and they're basically too big to fail at this point where they'd have to actually try to lose money. Touring in general with the exorbitant prices and fees seem to benefit the artists these days to the point that "Highest Grossing Tour of All-Time" doesn't mean much as they're probably all from the past 15-20 years.

20 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

It's only 27 shows though and I'd imagine the figure is based purely on ticket sales. You then have merch etc on top. I'd love to see a full breakdown of the accounts though, purely out of interest to see how many people have fingers in the pie. 

I really would too. The financial breakdown of live music seems both meticulously put together and completely convoluted to me.  Band, promoter, hangers-on, lawyers, etc.

16 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

It's not about them.. 

It's supply and demand. 

Clearly promoters around the world see the demand and the value. 

It's the tour promoter who takes on the financial risk, not the band as they get paid regardless. 

If the tour is successful, the promotor makes a profit. If its not, the promotor makes a loss or in some cases the promoter will cancel the shows, often based on ticket sales, as they won't make a profit to cover the artists up front booking fee and guaranteed payment. The promotor can be legally liable and obligated to pay the booking fee as per written agreement aka a contract. 

The tour promoter covers the cost of the bands tour expenses via the upfront booking fee. The band would then have  set costings factored in to cover there own traveling costs mainly crew and personnel. 

The actual band members or artist would be on a set retainer in terms of direct remuneration. I would think, the big 3 would have received a larger percentage of the over all up front booking fee profits.. 

The band doesn't pay for hotel accommodation,local transportation (from the hotel to the venue etc), flights etc. Thats covered by the tour promotor. 

Right, so I guess my question is that $93M in ticket sales goes to the promoter or does the band, management, etc. share in that? 

8 minutes ago, Hollyangel said:

Wow, you guys are spoilt.  Rogers Waters was last here in 2018 and hinted at the time that it was unlikely that he would be back.

disclaimer: Roger Waters not was it year, i just refered to him because after Coldplay he had more shows here. Don't remember well the last year he was here.

Can we please stop with this fake narrative that the band is successful. I have read here plenty of times that this tour was unsuccessful and they are playing smaller venues that are only half sold and they have to give away tickets.  Clearly the people of mygnrforum know better than these fake statistics 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

disclaimer: Roger Waters not was it year, i just refered to him because after Coldplay he had more shows here. Don't remember well the last year he was here.

I get you!  Yeah, I think he is doing a final farewell European tour in 2023, I guess the man is now late 70s, so doubtful we will be seeing him again outside of Europe.

• Like 1