07/22/23 - Athens, GR - Olympic Stadium

downzy

Just now, JimiRose said:

From Austria i guess you can drive to lots of different countries easy enough, you must be boarded by 6? bit harder and expensive from london!

Yeah. Not being on an island makes it easier for sure. Did a 3500 km roundtrip by car. Hollywood Vampires, Guns and Bruce Springsteen. 2 of those Vampires show got cancelled, which led to that last minute desicion major ride from Slovakia to the north of Poland. Exhausted as hell. ;) But so worth it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

So do we have a best show of this run? I suppose the band are pretty tight most nights, so it comes down to which was Axl's best night? Glasto? Those that went to multiple nights and were actually there should be in the best position to answer, especially those that went to 7 shows, etc...

Only judging by the show itself, I would say Madrid. Longest show of the euro run, incredible twat performance by Axl.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

28 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

From Austria i guess you can drive to lots of different countries easy enough, you must be boarded by 6? bit harder and expensive from london!

RyanAir/easyJet/WizzAir are your friend ;) I remember back in 2010 I did London - Paris - Geneva - London for about £70. My most expensive flight this year by far was Paris -> Bucharest because it was on Bastille Day and last minute (144 euros), my other flights (London -> Paris, Bucharest -> London) were around £30. For Glasgow I braved a Megabus (£30 return), probably won't do that ever again :lol: 

Also AirBNBs are much cheaper on the continent than in the UK or the US.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Amir said:

RyanAir/easyJet/WizzAir are your friend ;) I remember back in 2010 I did London - Paris - Geneva - London for about £70. My most expensive flight this year by far was Paris -> Bucharest because it was on Bastille Day and last minute (144 euros), my other flights (London -> Paris, Bucharest -> London) were around £30. For Glasgow I braved a Megabus (£30 return), probably won't do that ever again :lol: 

Also AirBNBs are much cheaper on the continent than in the UK or the US.

I just paid £360 to fly to prague from london! summer holidays now and inflation, though if done well in advance could probably still find those low prices

10 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Why does it seem Axl has switched to the handheld train horn vs. the full sized one mounted on the stage?  Did somebody sue them like the stupid b that ruined the mic toss?

Well, it didn't work at the show in Bern and he used the handheld thing. I wonder if they left it off since then. They didn't mount it in Budapest either. Is it broke? Did the guy responsible get fired? :P

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Why does it seem Axl has switched to the handheld train horn vs. the full sized one mounted on the stage?  Did somebody sue them like the stupid b that ruined the mic toss?

It didn't work one time, then it worked and then didn't work again, so Axl used the handheld one. Then he said the stage one was broken, so he would use the "backup" one.

That was the second time it didn't work :lol::

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It didn't work one time, then it worked and then didn't work again, so Axl used the handheld one. Then he said the stage one was broken, so he would use the "backup" one.

That was the second time it didn't work :lol::

Poor guy :( He seems completely lost.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lio said:

Poor guy :( He seems completely lost.

That poor guy. :lol: I saw him the first time in Oslo, when it was a festival and he set it up, right before GNR was supposed to play. While he was setting it up, I thought, what now? Will he just know it works or will he test it, with all the people there. Well, he told everyone cover their ears and did test it. 2 weeks later, I see them in Bern, it doesn't work and he goes pale and Gio comes over to console him. ;) And then obviously the same shit again in Weert. Yeah, don't wanna be him. It used to work like a charm previously. In Budapest it wasn't even set up anymore.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

"LET'S SEE IF THIS TIME IT WORKS" (or something like that).. THEN TURNED TO THE GUY AND SMILED

Good. He went from "He's not number 1 anymore" to smiles to "He's an asshole". Back in the '00s the guy would have been an asshole right away. And fired. :lol::P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2023 at 3:56 PM, Blackstar said:

Most of those reviews that have a negative tone, are just delusional people who have higher expectations than they should as they already knew the terms of the show. 

GNR overdelivered in Athens. I’ve seen many artists and concerts so far, and I can say for sure this one was a good one. Most of those reviewers best thing they’ve seen in their lives is Arctic Monkeys and Muse.

4 hours ago, thetiesthatbind said:

Most of those reviews that have a negative tone, are just delusional people who have higher expectations than they should as they already knew the terms of the show. 

GNR overdelivered in Athens. I’ve seen many artists and concerts so far, and I can say for sure this one was a good one. Most of those reviewers best thing they’ve seen in their lives is Arctic Monkeys and Muse.

Only one review is negative, though (the first one in Athinorama) and not because the reviewer had higher expectations (the review reads more like a self-fulfilled prophecy of low expectations that proved to be justified) - on the contrary, he thinks that the people in the crowd who enjoyed it were delusional.

• Thanks 1

It could be the heat but Axl has sounded a bit tired over the last couple gigs, feel like the run maybe peaked around the Paris show.

The break has probably come at a good time, although it's quite a short one. Hopefully it's a bit cooler by the time the US run kicks into gear :devilshades:

• Like 1