"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

1 hour ago, Silence said:

Evaders mix has enough to get a feel for it. It sounds like a B-Side

His mix, although well done, is only an approximation of a barely audible cell phone clip so the quality of the tune as of yet is one I think may be too early to determine

It could very easily just be a vinyl B-side for a way to hype up and keep the excitment of yet another GNR song release going for a couple months, and then they release The General as a standalone single on streaming services - not neccesarily because the quality of composition is not up to par in their eyes

Edited by WhazUp

Just now, WhazUp said:

His mix, although well done, is only an approximation of a barely audible cell phone clip so the quality of the tune as of yet is one I think may be too early to determine

I’d agree, The Evader creation is his own interpretation of what it “may be like”  i doubt it is actually anything like the real song. Far from it tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swedish said:

I honestly don't believe horders are actually sitting on The General, there has been to much smoke about a official release these last few months that something would have either leaked or been hinted at before now if that was the case.

Makes a change....

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The early demo will still be valuable, it would be more like hearing a YCBM demo from the 80s. Obviously not the official release, but played by an arguably better band and probably different enough to be interesting on its own.

I hope if a CD box set ever gets released, all the early versions of these NITL singles will still be included.

Yeah completely agree. I just remember back in 2014, I would have chewed my arm off to prevent DJ from replacing anyone’s parts on a future release. Even today that holds true. But once the unheard song hits the internet with Slash at the helm, an early demo loses a little bit if it’s shine. Even if it’s Bucket on leads, would love to hear it, but not chewing my arm off to get it at that point. 

34 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I’d agree, The Evader creation is his own interpretation of what it “may be like”  i doubt it is actually anything like the real song. Far from it tbh.

I hope so. If that is really what the vocal melodies sound like, it has nothing to do with Black Sabbath :lol:

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

It's hilarious that folks think that Evaders mix will be anything like what the song will be. He had a Silkworms mix too back in the day, which sounded absolutely nothing like what Absurd turned out to be. 

You do know Evader isn't a band member don't you?

His Silkworms remix is a recreation of the live performances from 2001, and it was incredibly accurate.

The Village leak version of Silkworms sounds very similar to it except for the vocals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

It could very easily just be a vinyl B-side for a way to hype up and keep the excitment of yet another GNR song release going for a couple months, and then they release The General as a standalone single on streaming services - not neccesarily because the quality of composition is not up to par in their eyes

Im aware of the source material for evaders mix. I know what Im hearing is more imagination than reality, too. However, I think it’s representative of the track itself. I was just a bit disappointed The General is not a highlight track. 

1 hour ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Do the vocals sound like they were recorded in 1999?

PM me

7 minutes ago, Silence said:

Im aware of the source material for evaders mix. I know what Im hearing is more imagination than reality, too. However, I think it’s representative of the track itself. I was just a bit disappointed The General is not a highlight track. 

PM me

I just think there is not enough audio information to either call it the best epic ever, or not a highlight track lol at least to me personally - I know my ears haven't heard enough to say either way. That said, thankfully in a short while we won't have to worry about relying on 2010 cell phone audio or recreations :lol:

Edited by WhazUp

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I just think there is not enough audio information to either call it the best epic ever, or not a highlight track lol at least to me personally - I know my ears haven't heard enough to say either way

You’re probably more correct than my assumptions. Im still very grateful and excited for the release. 

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

Where is Evader these days? Still with us?

25 minutes ago, Silence said:

PM me

You think your imagination is representative of the track....wow. hope you have a fucking mental kick ass imagination then!

Having followed the abundance of posts and discussions about the General during the time I've been on the forums, I'm surprised by the fact that many people think that the lyrics in Evader's interpretation are the lyrics of the actual song. To a point where "There's a child now chained in the bed now" has become part of the whole legend, so if (or more likely when) they don't hear these words in the released song, they may think that Axl wrote new lyrics.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swedish said:

I honestly don't believe horders are actually sitting on The General, there has been to much smoke about a official release these last few months that something would have either leaked or been hinted at before now if that was the case.

giphy.webp

• ABSUЯD 1

52 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Having followed the abundance of posts and discussions about the General during the time I've been on the forums, I'm surprised by the fact that many people think that the lyrics in Evader's interpretation are the lyrics of the actual song. To a point where "There's a child now chained in the bed now" has become part of the whole legend, so if (or more likely when) they don't hear these words in the released song, they may think that Axl wrote new lyrics.

Honestly this is like my biggest GNR fan thing that can irrationally make me super annoyed lol the tendency to like take obvious non-facts as fact. 

Like whether it is those lyrics, or fans thinking The General is a later version of State of Grace, or how the tiny soundcheck clip from months back is considered to be Oklahoma with no doubt, etc.  Or thinking random Village Session demo titles are connected to other song titles Axl listed in the 2008 chats

Making shit up and that shit being repeated by people here just means total confusion in GNR fandom lmao

• Like 3