"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

What did he say?

That the rumor didn’t make sense considering they’ve released every other song digitally and to radio. He’s on tour with the band rn so I’d say that’s as close to a confirmation as we’re going to get before it comes out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

That the rumor didn’t make sense considering they’ve released every other song digitally and to radio. He’s on tour with the band rn so I’d say that’s as close to a confirmation as we’re going to get before it comes out.

Is he anything close to an insider or someone that would even be able to definitively say? For all we know he’s just giving an opinion.

It could go either way but at this point if I was a betting man I’d say it’s vinyl exclusive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Is he anything close to an insider or someone that would even be able to definitively say? For all we know he’s just giving an opinion.

It could go either way but at this point if I was a betting man I’d say it’s vinyl exclusive.

We’ll see!

Could not initially having CD and audio cassette versions of the Perhaps single, but only a vinyl be a way for them to make it harder for folks to rip and share from vinyl before it's released digitally? I'm almost certain we will see a CD and cassette release, this may be a tactic to sell more vinyl, but something is fishy here.

On second thought, wouldn't it be funny if they included a slip with a digital download code for the track in the vinyl sleeve? :P They did that on the 2008 album on vinyl, it was in 256Kbps MP3. 

1 hour ago, CaioAKR said:

This screams to me "you're not allowed to confirm nor deny it". lol To me it still seems they're trying to sell more vinyls before streaming it. lol But let's wait and see what happens.

Right, but they could have also chosen not to respond at all.

• PERHAPS 1

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Could not initially having CD and audio cassette versions of the Perhaps single, but only a vinyl be a way for them to make it harder for folks to rip and share from vinyl before it's released digitally? I'm almost certain we will see a CD and cassette release, this may be a tactic to sell more vinyl, but something is fishy here.

On second thought, wouldn't it be funny if they included a slip with a digital download code for the track in the vinyl sleeve? :P They did that on the 2008 album on vinyl, it was in 256Kbps MP3. 

Right, but they could have also chosen not to respond at all.

Perhaps. But I sent this to their customer service, as it was a description on a product they were selling. They kinda had to respond. Even when I sent the message, I got an automated response saying they would answer in 48 hours. And this is pretty much a non-answer anyway. What I got from this is they very much want to keep us guessing about a digital release.

• Wow 1

13 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

While I'm certain the track will be released digitally, I'm not so sure about a CD release. Vinyls now outsell CDs, the kind of collectors who shell out for these things are all in on vinyl for whatever reasons. Digital for the casuals, vinyls for the collectors, that's how the market is split these days. I saw the Hard Skool CD for £5 in a shop the other day and even as a die-hard fan I passed on buying it since I already had bought ABSURD and Hard Skool off iTunes on release. I'd buy an album on CD, though.

8 minutes ago, CaioAKR said:

Perhaps. But I sent this to their customer service, as it was a description on a product they were selling. They kinda had to respond. Even when I sent the message, I got an automated response saying they would answer in 48 hours. And this is pretty much a non-answer anyway. What I got from this is they very much want to keep us guessing about a digital release.

If that is the case, I wonder if the next release will be more intricate. They surprised us with Absurd, seemingly out of nowhere, Hard Skool, can't think of anything special about that (including that mix itself :P ) but Perhaps coming a week early to bars in the US was a fun time, and now The General on vinyl only, at least for now. Maybe Atlas will come out first in a video game or TV show.

I do commend them on having a pro do the mixing and mastering for Perhaps, that was a concern after Hard Skool. Absurd seems to suffer less from poor production. I certainly hope they do the same with The General, and any subsequent songs. 

I do like the guitar solo/riff from what we can hear from the 2010 party recording of The General. If Slash re-records that, I hope it's just as good, if not played exactly like it was. Also, I seem to be able to hear Axl saying repeated "Oooooooooo.......oooooooooooo" and then "talk" like singing, something like between his clean singing on Chinese Democracy (the song), and the clean lower notes of Sorry, before the song busts out in Scraped-like high piercing Axl vocals. I think we are in for a treat.

6 minutes ago, Amir said:

While I'm certain the track will be released digitally, I'm not so sure about a CD release. Vinyls now outsell CDs, the kind of collectors who shell out for these things are all in on vinyl for whatever reasons. Digital for the casuals, vinyls for the collectors, that's how the market is split these days.

I enjoy all formats for what they are, but CDs happen to be the most convenient, usable format for me. I buy them all digitally in high-res (if available) anyways, and at least two of every physical version they come out with. :P 

I thought cassettes were still popular? They seemed to have a resurgence, similar to vinyl, but I don't know why since vinyl seems to have more player options. 

9 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I enjoy all formats for what they are, but CDs happen to be the most convenient, usable format for me. I buy them all digitally in high-res (if available) anyways, and at least two of every physical version they come out with. :P 

I thought cassettes were still popular? They seemed to have a resurgence, similar to vinyl, but I don't know why since vinyl seems to have more player options. 

I bought the AFD Super Deluxe (with the CDs) once it hit £40 on eBay, and I'm similarly holding out on the UYI Super Deluxe to have a comparable price drop (though I bought a handful of tracks off iTunes).

Cassettes seemed to be "in" for a while in a quirky hipster retro sort of way but they're a much smaller market than vinyl or CDs. Whenever I walk into my local HMV (one of the few left in the UK), the vinyls are always at the front of the shop, CDs way at the back.

11 minutes ago, Amir said:

I bought the AFD Super Deluxe (with the CDs) once it hit £40 on eBay, and I'm similarly holding out on the UYI Super Deluxe to have a comparable price drop (though I bought a handful of tracks off iTunes).

Cassettes seemed to be "in" for a while in a quirky hipster retro sort of way but they're a much smaller market than vinyl or CDs. Whenever I walk into my local HMV (one of the few left in the UK), the vinyls are always at the front of the shop, CDs way at the back.

In the states we have a store called FYE, which sounds similar to HMV. For years, they were full of CDs, that is what they specialized in, they of course also had DVDs, Blu-rays, VHS, etc. of movies, TV shows, etc. and some toys and other things. Eventually they got a small vinyl section, which has grown. Even Target and Cracker Barrel stores have a lot of vinyl now, which is pretty cool. FYE today, has far fewer CDs, and seems to have as many movies as they had CDs back in the day. I checked out their CD section a few weeks ago for NIN stuff, which was empty. :( Their GN'R section had a few copies of UYI I and II that were from the recent anniversary release and they were priced stupid expensive at like $20 a piece. I usually go there to find Chinese Democracy in the bargain bin and buy them for friends and family. :) 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, riot said:

Can't believe it won't be ripped from the vinyl the day after by some internet hero.

I agree. In fact, someone did that with the other tracks on the Hard Skool vinyl (SOYL and Absurd live), as well as the tracks on the cassette (Don't Cry and You're Crazy live). The quality of all the tracks is as it would be on streaming, so hopefully someone will do the same with The General.

• Like 2