"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

It floors me so many people are shocked by this. We have a song that’s a b-side to a 7”, which was never announced (as of yet) to be a part of anything else, and no mention to the fact that it would be streaming other than a cheeky, one word comment from Fernando on the day the 7” was announced which if taken literally at face value means “I don’t know, but maybe”. There was no reason to ever have a strong belief that it would be streaming - sure people on here are claiming there’s never been a studio GN’R song that hasn’t been released on streaming, but not taking into account the context; there’s not much historical precedent here since GN’R has hardly released anything since streaming became a dominant form of music consumption. Yes, almost all of the old b-sides have ended up on streaming also…because they were re-released as part of the various AFD reissues. 

Whatever people on here think, this isn’t an uncommon practice for an artist to release a song as a vinyl exclusive. Plus you still get Japan getting exclusive tracks for many, many releases. The amount of records I’ve purchased because of exclusive tracks is sizeable, and this isn’t even a hard one to get a hold of. One of the bands I collect I had to track down a specific German pressing of an LP because the record label forgot to take a song off the 2x10” version that had been axed from all other releases internationally. If something similar happened here, then I could maybe understand the reaction people are having in this thread. On top of that, at least they’re choosing to give us actual new music on a record, unlike so many artists out there that release 20 different color variants of the same damn record hoping everybody goes “oh that’s pretty, I need it!”. There’s many, many things I critique GN’R over, and I’m quite vocal about it. This release is not one of those things. 

As for the possible delays in shipping/release - the record pressing industry has been in absolute shambles since COVID, the delays on vinyls have been both frequent and lengthy across the board. If there are delays (which we still don’t entirely know), it’s not something you can hold against the band specifically. That said it’s true they could be communicating potential delays better. 

But all of this…talk about turning an ant hill into a mountain :facepalm:

Late to the party by the looks of it, but it appears there's an actual human amongst us!

Hear, hear!

I'll admit, I let my boredom this morning give me a bit of hope that there'd be some movement, but let's be realistic, all the hype around this is a hundred percent our doing, not the band's.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I was shocked I had to manually say I wanted to keep it. Definitely doesn't bode well. These probably haven't even been pressed, yet. @estrangedtwat is right to be nervous about it.

I was told it was delayed because it wasn't ready, I was sure it was bullshit, but now I'm not so sure.

Just emailed the German shop again about this, let's see what kind of non-answer they give this time around. 

Yes, I know, that these guys are also just as clueless as we are, still I'd like to get some updates, preferably without having to ask for them.

1 minute ago, Kurwa said:

I was told it was delayed because it wasn't ready, I was sure it was bullshit, but now I'm not so sure.

Not ready? Legal issues perhaps? The song itself cannot still need a 'tweak' surely? 

Dismayed, disappointed, but somehow not surprised, typical GNR this. 😭