anybody else pissed off by Izzy?

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I agree. I think Axl was always the one who missed Izzy the most and it's obvious why. Slash was fine with Gilby in the UYI era, but Axl still missed Izzy and he was also the first one to realize that the band would have difficulty in creating new music without Izzy.

Probably a longshot theory but...you think this is the reason "Don't Cry" was retired for most of the nu guns shows and seems to be MIA again? It reminds him of Izzy? :shrugs:

28 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Probably a longshot theory but...you think this is the reason "Don't Cry" was retired for most of the nu guns shows and seems to be MIA again? It reminds him of Izzy? :shrugs:

In the case of NuGnR it might have been because it was the first song by the original band, so it was a too emotionally charged song for Axl as it reminded him how it all started (and ended). It didn't have to do with Izzy in particular (because if that had been the case they'd have played it at the shows Izzy made a guest appearance).

I don't think there's a particular reason for it not being played too often currently. It's probably just random. They played it at almost every show last year and they've added new songs in the set this year, so they had to make room for them.

Edited by Blackstar
  • GNFNR 1

There may be a lot of you who are pissed off that Izzy is not here with us. Well... we're kinda pissed off that Izzy is not here with us. But if Izzy was here with us or was with us, we probably wouldn't be here in Oklahoma right now... So ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Gilby Clarke to play some Rolling Stones for you

Edited by fernandoGNR
  • Like 1

That was a nice quote:

Axl: This next song was written by Izzy Stradlin, somebody that I get real pissed off at because I miss him greatly. And maybe he knew a thing or two that I don’t know about, or that I didn’t’ know, that I gotta work on now, and that's something called Patience. [Manchester City Football Ground, Maine Road, Manchester, England, June 14, 1992] 

• Like 3

On 9/3/2023 at 3:29 PM, Izzymacbeth said:

Have you even heard an Izzy Stradlin album, his 1st the Ju Ju Hounds has Nicky Hopkins on piano, Ian McLagan on keyboards on every album until his death and he had the Waters Sisters from the Illusion II KOHD sing gospel shit on Come On Now Inside. If anyone loves piano and backing singers it's Izzy, lol

And you don’t get the two guys you mentioned unless you appreciate the keys, he could have gotten regular session guys but he chose two guys who are part of the history of rock n roll, guys who played on records he grew up listening to…. he had an appreciation of piano/keys in that rock n roll way. I think the demo to 14 Years is probably what Izzy wanted GnR to sound like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 9/2/2023 at 6:41 PM, Blackstar said:

In the case of NuGnR it might have been because it was the first song by the original band, so it was a too emotionally charged song for Axl as it reminded him how it all started (and ended). It didn't have to do with Izzy in particular (because if that had been the case they'd have played it at the shows Izzy made a guest appearance).

I don't think there's a particular reason for it not being played too often currently. It's probably just random. They played it at almost every show last year and they've added new songs in the set this year, so they had to make room for them.

I thought the prevalent theory was that he wasn't playing it in honor of Shannon Hoon? 

I think it's pretty obvious that 14 Years is the Izzy song Axl never will (and hasn't) played without Izzy on stage

On 8/27/2023 at 2:19 AM, Karice said:

About people saying that Guns N'Roses are very Fan unfriendly, I have seen only TWO incidences where Axl was unfriendly to Fans, one incident being much worse than the other. Incident one, Axl was in an Airport getting ready for a flight to go to a show and he was being hounded for Autographs and Selfies and he had a look of,"I'm being hounded by my fans! Help! "😱😳 Those emojis express his face in that video succinctly.

Incident two, Axl was CLEARLY in a rush to get somewhere and he had Fans hounding him for Autographs and Selfies when he once again was CLEARLY in a rush to get somewhere. He cussed the Fans out and ran away! 🤣 The other thing about Axl is while he's happy to do Selfies, he usually looks unhappy( jaded, pissed, shocked, sad, or scared. )It's rare to see a Fan Selfie where Axl is SMILING, although there is a fan VIDEO where a Fan did an impromptu meet and greet backstage where Axl is smiling but implied he has no idea what the hell the Fan was doing backstage so late. Luckily he was in a good mood because this impromptu meet and greet could have went REALLY badly. He even hugged her. 😀 He apologized for her being a fan of his since she was 9, LMAO! 🤣 

Steven has some happy looking selfies with Fans. I haven't seen too many selfies with Slash and Izzy, and I've never seen any selfies with Melissa, Frank, Richard, Dizzy, Matt, Buckethead, Robin, etc. 

I met Duff after a Loaded show and Steven before an Adler’s Appetite show and both were super friendly and cool. 

I will say that was the greatest benefit of having Bumblefoot and Ashba in the band - say what you want about them, but they ALWAYS stopped to sign autographs and take pictures after shows. 

After the Philly show in 2012, Bumblefoot and Ashba stopped to sign for everyone, Richard signed one or two things and bolted, same for Frank. I didn’t see Dizzy, Chris, or Tommy at all, and even Axl came out to sign for everyone afterwards.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:15 PM, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I have a feeling a lot of it was also personality-based. Axl might be running this show, but Slash and Duff wouldn’t join a completely miserable situation. I’m sure Axl took stock of his lineup and chose who would work well together. Slash and Duff clearly like Richard - there seems to be a mutual respect between them. And, despite what Matt Sorum and other drum geniuses here say about Frank’s playing, he seems like a good dude and easy to get along with.

Chris Pitman seemed a little too up his own ass for a second keyboard player.

But anyway, back to Izzy…

Axl, to me, seems the most hurt that Izzy isn’t involved. Izzy’s his old pal from Indiana - they have the longest history together. He expressed frustration with Izzy in the Brazilian interview but never went so far as to slam him, outright. And he’s always telling Izzy anecdotes from the stage. Axl wouldn’t budge on his demands, but I bet he’s frustrated that his friend isn’t there.

Richard and Frank have been a package deal since Love Spit Love and the Psychedelic Furs. It’s safe to assume that they’re probably close friends and if one were to leave, I’m sure the other would follow.

7 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I thought the prevalent theory was that he wasn't playing it in honor of Shannon Hoon? 

I think it's pretty obvious that 14 Years is the Izzy song Axl never will (and hasn't) played without Izzy on stage

I've heard the Shannon Hoon theory, but I think the first GN'R song theory is more plausible. Or maybe it was both. Axl's first performance of Don't Cry with NuGN'R in 2007 was very emotional for sure.

14 Years has to do specifically with Izzy, yes.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heather14 said:

14 Years is my favourite song, but I’d rather not want to see them play it live if Izzy wasn’t there. I like how Axl used to take a mic from Izzy when they did a chorus together.

100% of the time 14 Years was played live was with Izzy on stage. Doubt we'll ever see that song played live again.

• Like 1