anybody else pissed off by Izzy?

We don’t know the entire story. In a perfect world, they would have all had fair- equitable shares in the reunion money for the 2016 shows and they could have had Steven (more consistently) and Izzy on stage.

No one could have predicted how successful and professional the reunion would have been at the time. We are in year 8 of the reunion and there’s been essentially no drama. They’ve raked in the dough and reclaimed the GNR name

Maybe they wanted more money, maybe they didn’t believe Izzy and Steve were reliable for this, who knows?

I don’t think having either would have been that much of a risk. They wouldn’t have had to dump Fortus and Frank. Plenty of big bands have an ensemble of session guys. You think Keith Richards is doing the heavy lifting at a Stones gig? Think again

41 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Guns N' Roses wouldn't exist today if not for money 

I wonder what would happen music wise if money didn't exist and Bands, Singers, and Musicians just played because they loved hearing their Fans cheer for them amd loved playing and singing in general.

26 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

What is Izzys biggest writing credit outside of GNR? I'm not really familiar with his solo efforts and can't really say I remember hearing any of his songs on the radio. Any good recommendations where to start?

Probably the JuJu Hounds album which is also a good place to start or 117 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I JUST thought of this idea right now as I write this post. Izzy can come back wearing a full head, full visor motorcycle helmet so we can't see who it is is, jam with current Guns N'Roses and that could cause a lot of good tongue wagging and good buzz, with Fans wondering in a good way who that motorcycle wearing man is. 😀 Izzy doesn't reveal who he is and still gets to jam with Axl, Slash, Duff, Melissa, Dizzy, Richard, and Frank, and Fans are intrigued. 😀 It's a win, win,  win situation. 😀

• Wow 1

I think the "situation" with the drums is a lot worse than in the rhythm guitar department. I mean... ok, Izzy doesn't want to do it, it's his call. Maybe they could've called Gilby but I think Axl wanted Richard cause of the CD stuff but... why Frank? I get it, Steven is a bit unreliable, and I feel really sorry for him as he seems like troubled but really kind person. But what about Matt? Did Matt have an even worse beef with Axl somehow? Or did they just ignore Matt because of Frank? Cause Matt is on a whole other level, IMO. Dude's one of the best drummers out there, IMO.

well regarding Frank we're going off topic now but it's rather obvious to me Axl didn't accept anybody more than Slash as a permanent member because he still wanted to have at least half the band being his minions and yes-men. Axl employed them and they answer to him. Slash stepping into Axl's environment is much more comfortable for Axl than having Duff/Slash/Matt take over Axl and outvote him if need be.

Also, if the whole thing was to turn a fiasco, Axl would defend himself saying he didn't do no reunion, he merely went one step ahead 2014 and added Slash to 2014 version of GNR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I think the "situation" with the drums is a lot worse than in the rhythm guitar department. I mean... ok, Izzy doesn't want to do it, it's his call. Maybe they could've called Gilby but I think Axl wanted Richard cause of the CD stuff but... why Frank? I get it, Steven is a bit unreliable, and I feel really sorry for him as he seems like troubled but really kind person. But what about Matt? Did Matt have an even worse beef with Axl somehow? Or did they just ignore Matt because of Frank? Cause Matt is on a whole other level, IMO. Dude's one of the best drummers out there, 

The concert going public only cares about Axl and Slash. And, to a much lesser extent, Duff. Having Matt there over Frank would probably be a lot more expensive, with no impact on revenue. And make no mistake, GNR in its current form exists to make as much money as possible for Axl, Slash and Duff

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 6:11 PM, DTV88 said:

Add Smoke and I agree with you. 117 degrees is my favorite overall 

No disrespect to Izzy but Smoke is the only album of his that I just never got into. I really like the track Gotta Go, but apart from that I just found something a little off with the album. I don't know enough about music production to tell you exactly what it is I dislike, I think I just find it very difficult to hear his vocals on most of this album.

All the other Izzy albums I must have listened to dozens/hundreds of times. Ju Ju Hounds, 117, Ride On, River, On Down The Road, Like A Dog, Wave of Heat..... all of them are superb, and there's some real hidden gems in his discography. Miami, Fire and Concrete all have some really stand out tracks too though I probably listen to them slightly less.

The casual GNR fans ignorance about Izzys role in GNR is just bewildering to me :shrugs: 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

My only real beef with Izzy is the "they didn't want to split the loot" thing. There's, like, nothing about Izzy that suggests he was willing to sign up for touring the world for years to come and he already got his "loot" when he wanted out of the band and they bought him out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willl said:

No disrespect to Izzy but Smoke is the only album of his that I just never got into. I really like the track Gotta Go, but apart from that I just found something a little off with the album. I don't know enough about music production to tell you exactly what it is I dislike, I think I just find it very difficult to hear his vocals on most of this album.

All the other Izzy albums I must have listened to dozens/hundreds of times. Ju Ju Hounds, 117, Ride On, River, On Down The Road, Like A Dog, Wave of Heat..... all of them are superb, and there's some real hidden gems in his discography. Miami, Fire and Concrete all have some really stand out tracks too though I probably listen to them slightly less.

The casual GNR fans ignorance about Izzys role in GNR is just bewildering to me :shrugs: 

Hey, to each their own! I love most of what Izzy has put out, but there are a few songs I’ll skip here and there. 
And I completely agree about Izzy’s contributions to Guns. 

2 hours ago, Modano09 said:

My only real beef with Izzy is the "they didn't want to split the loot" thing. There's, like, nothing about Izzy that suggests he was willing to sign up for touring the world for years to come and he already got his "loot" when he wanted out of the band and they bought him out. 

What was the timing on that tweet? I’m wondering if it he was specifically referring to the Coachella payout. There wasn’t a full tour planned until after they had all played together for a while, right?

On 8/30/2023 at 1:38 PM, Cosmo said:

I think the "situation" with the drums is a lot worse than in the rhythm guitar department. I mean... ok, Izzy doesn't want to do it, it's his call. Maybe they could've called Gilby but I think Axl wanted Richard cause of the CD stuff but... why Frank? I get it, Steven is a bit unreliable, and I feel really sorry for him as he seems like troubled but really kind person. But what about Matt? Did Matt have an even worse beef with Axl somehow? Or did they just ignore Matt because of Frank? Cause Matt is on a whole other level, IMO. Dude's one of the best drummers out there, IMO.

Matt and Axl might STILL have beef with each other over Matt refusing to enable Axl's moody temper, remember, Matt threatened to knock Axl out because Axl wanted to go chill in his dressing room and not go on stage and perform and Matt was having none of that so he made Axl get out of that dressing room and go perform on stage! 🤣🤭 I read somewhere that Axl RAN to the stage , looking scared because he didn't want Matt to knock him out! 🤣🤭

3 hours ago, Karice said:

Matt and Axl might STILL have beef with each other over Matt refusing to enable Axl's moody temper, remember, Matt threatened to knock Axl out because Axl wanted to go chill in his dressing room and not go on stage and perform and Matt was having none of that so he made Axl get out of that dressing room and go perform on stage! 🤣🤭 I read somewhere that Axl RAN to the stage , looking scared because he didn't want Matt to knock him out! 🤣🤭

Matt was invited to play as a guest drummer with the current lineup live, but he declined cause they didn't want to pay him anything for it.

as for the whole "Axl was scared of Matt thing" - not sure if I buy it. It's not Axl alone, he has bodyguards I think.

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Matt was invited to play as a guest drummer with the current lineup live, but he declined cause they didn't want to pay him anything for it.

as for the whole "Axl was scared of Matt thing" - not sure if I buy it. It's not Axl alone, he has bodyguards I think.

Axl’s ‘fear’ of Matt was probably more of a rooted in his discomfort with Matt’s unwillingness to entertain all of Axl’s dictatorial aspirations. Axl knew duff, slash and Izzy were a soft touch and would lay down rather than challenge him. The slightest sniff of insubordination or challenge to authority  scares control freaks. 

Musicians are generally wimps who avoid physical fighting, as they should. Don’t think anyone was worried about that.