anybody else pissed off by Izzy?

42 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I think Izzy wanted Guns to stay cool. Like a hard rock band with Stones, Aerosmith and punk vibes. I think Slash and Duff wanted that too 

I can imagine him rolling his eyes when they started adding Stephanie and dolphins into their videos and breaking out the piano. 

I can only imagine what he thinks of the whole Chinese circus... 

I think Axl could have really benefitted from having people like Izzy around who would tell him the truth instead of a bunch of enablers. 

Yet those videos are breaking records to this day. Last year, November Rain became the first pre-youtube music video to get to 2 billion views on YouTube. Things like that help cement the GN'R legacy and keep GN'R in people's minds much more than the generic AFD era biker look they had. Or worse, the hair metal one which Izzy had a big hand in creating (according to a Hollywood Rose member).

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

There's nothing wrong with evolution and always being concerned with looking "cool", all the time tend to go hand-in-hand with being absolutely boring.  That's why I always liked Axl's cornrows, even if I didn't think they looked good. They were symbolic of the kind of person Axl is. I find it much cooler to do be yourself and flip the finger to people who talk shit. That "fuck you, I do what I want" attitude is the real punk-as-fuck persona the rest of the band liked to pretend they had. While the rest were concerned about wearing the right clothes and playing the right instruments to look like rockstars, Axl is the only one thought lived like one.

In the beginning, rock artists existed on the edges of society, unconcerned with what's considered trendy and stylish. This whole mentality of "we can't do anything different because we might look uncool to random strangers" is the lamest, least rockstar shit I've ever heard in my life.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Got nothing against Izzy at all. If the man doesn't wanna do it anymore, let him stay at home living his life. But I sure as hell don't think GnR would "sound better" if he joined the band on tour.

Probably wouldn't, Izzy became pretty lazy when it comes to rehearsal etc., Richard is a far more reliable player (let alone his technical skills).
But in the studio... Well, that would be a completely different question. If Izzy would join the rest of the guys in the studio, my expectations would be doubled.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I've absolutely no reason to be "pissed off" with Izzy, especially when I don't know him or the full story. If it's true he wanted equal money to Axl, Slash, and Duff, but was non-committal to the idea of years of stadium touring, then that's a bit of a silly demand, but nothing for me as a no-name fan to be pissed off about.

The fans that obsess over him and place him on a pedestal – that's another thing. People think his return will make the band bigger and sell more tickets, a ridiculous notion when most people don't have a clue who he is, or think the guy with a similar haircut is him already. He isn't coming back, and the guy in his place is doing a good job. Let's just enjoy what we have.

Where's Izzy? Who really cares at this point. He's living his best life, living off the interest from all those royalty checks. Good on him

Most people at the shows I would imagine wouldn't even know the name 'Izzy'. I'm not sure a lot of people even know who Duff is really. 

Speaking personally, yeah it would be nice to have him back.....but we're such a minority on here and we constantly overestimate how much people paying to see GNR know or care about this band. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No, I'm not pissed off at Izzy - or anyone who have made their choices and done what they thought was best for them.

By the way, Izzy recorded new music (either some songs or a full album) a few months ago, but there has been no more news since then.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqGmd--pRBm/

That was for GnR 😎

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I think Izzy wanted Guns to stay cool. Like a hard rock band with Stones, Aerosmith and punk vibes. I think Slash and Duff wanted that too 

I can imagine him rolling his eyes when they started adding Stephanie and dolphins into their videos and breaking out the piano. 

I think Axl could have really benefitted from having people like Izzy around who would tell him the truth instead of a bunch of enablers. 

I remember hearing something like Matt didn't enable Axl and metaphorically put his foot up Axl's ass and even threatened to knock out Axl because Axl wanted to stay in his dressing room and not go out on stage! 🤣 But that could be because Matt was the oldest Guns N'Roses Member at the time ,even older than Axl and didn't have time for his "little brother Axl's," antics. 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meadsoap said:

There's nothing wrong with evolution and always being concerned with looking "cool", all the time tend to go hand-in-hand with being absolutely boring.  That's why I always liked Axl's cornrows, even if I didn't think they looked good. They were symbolic of the kind of person Axl is. I find it much cooler to do be yourself and flip the finger to people who talk shit. That "fuck you, I do what I want" attitude is the real punk-as-fuck persona the rest of the band liked to pretend they had. While the rest were concerned about wearing the right clothes and playing the right instruments to look like rockstars, Axl is the only one thought lived like one.

Haha, absurd. Axl was literally the “boring” person you’re describing above. He wore cornrows because he was going bald and thought that option looked cooler. He was chasing musical fads during the whole creation of CD. Guy wanted to be NIN so bad he was literally hiring people from their camp. Why? Because he wanted to seem cool/trendy/hip. He’s no better/different than the other guys in the band…he just had a different idea of what was “cool.”

• Like 2

I have much respect for Izzy. Dude lives his life with no compromises and is making lots of money off royalty checks. Played in the biggest band in the world and got out before Axl turned it into a shit show. Who knows? Maybe he’ll join the band for a few songs one of these days. You can’t predict Izzy’s behavior.

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

Haha, absurd. Axl was literally the “boring” person you’re describing above. He wore cornrows because he was going bald and thought that option looked cooler. He was chasing musical fads during the whole creation of CD. Guy wanted to be NIN so bad he was literally hiring people from their camp. Why? Because he wanted to seem cool/trendy/hip. He’s no better/different than the other guys in the band…he just had a different idea of what was “cool.”

You can't wear cornrows if you're going bald, genius one. That's not how that hair style works.

At any rate, as much as you want to mock Axl for daring to find inspiration from something other than 1970s butt rock, it's still evolution. There's a whole wild world of music out there, but certain fans want this band to be chained to the past forever, and somehow cannot figure out why VR crashed and burned by their second album, why Izzy's albums always sold like dog shit, and why their precious crowned jewel Slash is playing in small theaters with his solo band. I'm not saying that CD was successful, but the recipe for keeping people interested is obviously not remaking the same album over and over.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

You can't wear cornrows if you're going bald, genius one. That's not how that hair style works.

At any rate, as much as you want to mock Axl for daring to find inspiration from something other than 1970s butt rock, it's still evolution. There's a whole wild world of music out there, but certain fans want this band to be chained to the past forever, and somehow cannot figure out why VR crashed and burned by their second album, why Izzy's albums always sold like dog shit, and why their precious crowned jewel Slash is playing in small theaters with his solo band. I'm not saying that CD was successful, but the recipe for keeping people interested is obviously not remaking the same album over and over.

GNR didn't evolve. One member moved in a certain direction that alienated the band leading to a break up and then alienated the fans. 

It was an extremely unsuccessful period. 

Axl almost ended up in theatres even with the Guns N Roses brand... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

You can if what you’re wearing isn’t only your hair, Einstein. Axl should’ve just evolved as you say and owned the bald look. Unfortunately he let your standards down and went fake.

2EA70A2E-B8FD-408B-9FF2-77F45892DA62.jpeg.45052b53731166ba5ce5ed5cc13f23f7.jpeg

48 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

GNR didn't evolve. One member moved in a certain direction that alienated the band leading to a break up and then alienated the fans. 

It was an extremely unsuccessful period. 

Axl almost ended up in theatres even with the Guns N Roses brand... 

I said Axl was the one who evolved, please work on your reading.

And considering all the band members play theatres when they're by themselves, I much rather he take the opportunity to explore his musical identity instead of catering to a fanbase that never would have gotten him further than theatre-level anyway.

47 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

You can if what you’re wearing isn’t only your hair, Einstein. Axl should’ve just evolved as you say and owned the bald look. Unfortunately he let your standards down and went fake.

2EA70A2E-B8FD-408B-9FF2-77F45892DA62.jpeg.45052b53731166ba5ce5ed5cc13f23f7.jpeg

I never said it was his own hair. What I said was you cannot wear that style of hair if you are going bald. You're showing you own ignorance when you say things like that.

You're talking to a person who has had this hairstyle before. The extension don't work like a wig. It has to be interweaved with your own natural hair to be held down properly. It's not some get-out-of-jail-free card when you don't have hair of your own. The flaws his hairline would have only been more obvious if he tried to get them while balding, and thin hair cannot support heavy hair extensions for long periods of time.

Edited by meadsoap
  • Haha 1

Nope, not annoyed at Izzy at all and don't get how anyone could be - he left the madness and is happy doing his own thing. Not all musicians want the limelight in a massive band. The guy's put out a ton of music since leaving GN'R and he's done some fun guest spots with the band over the years. Re interaction/social media, I don't think musicians owe us fans anything in terms of access and they're entitled to privacy. Obviously in the social media age some are keen to interact with fans (Bumble was by the far the most open in GN'R re access and interaction and that's really cool) but it should ultimately be their choice. Izzy's a quiet, private guy. 

It's a shame he wasn't part of the reunion but if it was a division of money thing then I totally get his reasons for not doing it. 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

The excesses of UYI albums and tours, from the saloon piano and gospel choir to the backup singers and Teddy Zig Zag were thoroughly influenced by the Stones excesses. Izzy could have played the role of Richards to Axl's Jagger but didn't want to deal with it. Which is fine. But let's not pretend the Stones were some down and dirty anti establishment band for most of their career. 

Same with Aerosmith who re-energized their career doing the Walk This Way remake with Run-DMC and making a hair metal style album that heavily utilized outside pop songwriters. Their biggest single of all time is a pop ballad written by Diane Warren for a Michael Bay movie 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, meadsoap said:

I never said it was his own hair. What I said was you cannot wear that style of hair if you are going bald. You're showing you own ignorance when you say things like that.

You're talking to a person who has had this hairstyle before. The extension don't work like a wig. It has to be interweaved with your own natural hair to be held down properly. It's not some get-out-of-jail-free card when you don't have hair of your own. The flaws his hairline would have only been more obvious if he tried to get them while balding, and thin hair cannot support heavy hair extensions for long periods of time.

The dude is wearing a rug on his f’ing head. That isn’t his real hairline. I just wish for you that he could’ve evolved naturally and not kept trying to be cool. It’s so boring.

9A28F004-4D93-49EC-942B-4C51D9AFC185.jpeg.f6b8a88301c8f2c3c24047f085bf92c5.jpeg