NuGNR Nostalgia Thread

I really do wish I could have seen a 2002 or 2006 show. I was too young for 2002, but seeing Bucket in the band would have been killer. Love the Vegas, RIR, and Boston boots from that era. I saw Bucket solo in around 2011, though.

I also would have loved to have seen 2006. I was close... it could have been my first concert (that ended up being Rush in 2007, so not a bad choice). Axl looked and sounded killer and I still have not seen Robin in person, sadly. I think that tour was fucking sweet. The 2007 Japanese shows are highlights for me to listen to. It’s been years since I have, but I should track them down for old time’s sake. Loved all the little guitar jams like Beautiful, Endless Rain, and Bumble’s Don’t Cry. 

Still, that 2010 London Ontario show was a perfect first GNR show for me. The memory of that trip, anticipation, and show itself were amazing. I saw a few 2016 shows with that same buddy and I remember him turning to me and saying “imagine if this was our first time seeing the band” but I don't really agree with that. I do think 2016 was overall the best, but I’m still glad that Ontario trip was my first GNR show. Good memories. 

Got a good showing of Chinese at that gig, too. If The World, Scraped, Shacklers, Sorry, Better, Street of Dreams, Chinese Democracy, TiL, Madagascar all in one show. I still haven’t gotten TWAT at a gig, but that was pretty cool getting all those songs. I doubt ITW, Shackler's, and Scraped will return and those actually kicked ass live back then. Really felt like they were touring a “new” album, which they kind of were and weren’t. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Nice to read about your GnR story @ZoSoRose!

I used to know GnR very losely, knowing basically SCOM, Jungle and PC + idk... KOHD and Don't Cry, maybe? And I remember two of my friends, who were also into rock music, used to say GnR was dead, etc... One day I saw the Dirty Little Thing music video on MTV or VH1 and I thought "wtf? this dude's dressed as Slash from GnR!" and I remember taking it to those friends like "dude I saw a videoclip with a guy cosplaying as Slash lol" and eventually found out it was Slash in his new band, but I never told them which clip I was referring to, to avoid all the jokes :lol:

I remember there was a show called "Top Top MTV" and they listed the VMAs performance as one of the most disappointing TV performances in rock history and I remember thinking "wtf is Axl doing with these freaks?" so yeah, I never really took the time to properly enjoy GnR. I was, though, kinda into VR.

At one point, though, I remember that CD (the song) leaked and it somehow found its way to me - but it didn't have the Bumblefoot fretless in the verses or the higher pitched vocals in the chorus. I remember thinking it was kinda meh.

Then, one day, in 2008, I went to a FNAC near my home and there it was - Chinese Democracy. I remember thinking "WTF, isn't this the mythical GnR record that became like the most expensive record ever and took a million years to put out?" so I just bought it. I never even listened to it before I bought it.

So I put it on my car one my way home and I was like "ok, this is good" up until If The World. Then when If The World started, I was "wow this is really good" and then I got home, listened to TWAT and was completely blown away. I fucking loved that song from the first time I listened to it. In the next few days, I was listening to GnR on repeat, and I started visiting these forums, looking for news as the official website had "Saw hello to DJ Ashba" for months.

Then, in 2010, GnR came to town and I went to see them live. It was by far the best concert I had gone up until that point. I was sure I had just witnessed the greatest GnR show ever, but that was the rule back then. It was such a great show you thought it must've been something special. 

Not long after, I joined these forums, I think. I remember being REALLY hyped for 2011's Rock in Rio thinking "CD2 starts now" and shit. Then being really disappointed and almost on denial about how bad that was compaired to 2010. In 2014, I decided to go see every GnR show in their brazilian tour. That was so disappointing. They basically played the same set though out all the shows, with mickey mouse Axl. After that, I never went to see GnR live again. Not even after the reunion. 

What I mostly miss about NuGnR is the pre-2011 aura of mystery that surrounded them. In 2010, I thought Axl was focused on proving something, on the music itself, etc... After that RiR 2011 performance, I saw that it wasn't really the case. I wish I had seen the 2001/2002 line-up live. It would have been a dream. Today, I'm a huge Buckethead fan and I would love to see him live some day but to see him with GnR would have been magical. I also think the 2006 Rock Am Ring show is one of GnR's greatest live performances ever, better than many of the classic line-up concerts and I was also blown away by those first 2010 Asian Tourdates. 

To this day, TWAT is one of my favourite songs, perhaps my favourite, by and band, of all time. And I still dream to see what NuGnR has in their vault. A documentary/book + boxset from that era would be a dream. I love reading about it. Some weeks ago I read all of @SoulMonster's and @Blackstar's material at A4D and I loved every moment of it.

That is awesome, did you attend one of the 2010 Brazilian shows? That 2010 SA tour was incredible to follow. Even in Michigan, I was excited for all the fans there who hadn't gotten a GNR show in what seemed like an eternity. Seeing the band play these massive, packed stadiums seemed awesome. For my 2010 show, they played a small arena. Pretty sure the upper bowl was open but not full. I distinctly remember the 2011 Michigan arena show being pretty sparse and them not even selling out the 2012 theater show a few months later. I still enjoyed those concerts a lot, of course. Getting songs like Estranged and Civil War in 2011/2012 was pretty surreal for me, too. UYI live material was almost as exciting as the prospect of new songs because they were so far and few between in 2001-2010. I remember there was this Twitter account in around 2009 that posted all sorts of rumors and alleged leaks. It was about a year or two before the MSL email saga, and I don't remember if they were credible, but it was really fun to follow. One of the rumors it posted was that the band was rehearsing more UYI material for 09/10. I was pretty happy about that. It is still kind of crazy when they whip out stuff like Pretty Tied Up, Coma, Bad Obsession, etc. all these years later. 

It is also crazy how starved we all were for CD 2 even in like 2011 considering that was over a decade ago. Every time the band had a new tour leg there was hope on here that maybe something different would happen. Even though we got Estranged at Rio 2011 (which was awesome for me), I still remember being really disappointed no new songs were played (and that is all without getting into the show itself). The Village leaks did seem like an epilogue to the entire CD saga, it was crazy hearing at least the bones of all of those titles. 

• Like 1

Great thread! Thank you.

I became a GNR fan around 2006 and Chinese Democracy was the first album I ever bought. Been on GN'R forums since 2007 and those were very interesting times. In 2010 I got to see them live for the first time and it was probably the greatest GN'R show i've ever seen, Axl was incredible (DJ Ashba not so much).

Chinese Democracy still is to this day my favourite GN'R album and one of my favourite albums of all time. A huge thank you to all the musicians and people that made it possible.

• Like 2

To be completely honest, I still don't mind DJ at those shows I went to. I admit that is probably me forcing myself to accept him because I cared a lot about that lineup. In 2010 he looked more normalish and wore flannel and tried his best to play a lot of the material note- for- note. He wore that stupid hat, but overall, he wasn't unbearable. For the USA tour in 2011 I thought he played fine at my show, and then for the 2012 theater gig a few months later, he was actually really great with the crowd. He let me strum some guitar strings and interacted with the front, a lot. I got to meet him that year and he was alright. I am not defending the dude, he is definitely the worst lead guitar player the band has ever had, but I think a lot of that is due to his social media persona and his deteriorating image. It became ridiculous as that lineup went on. The playing got sloppier too throughout 2012- 2014. I am thankful he contributed to a lineup I followed very closely, but I am of course glad he is long- gone from GNR. 

I do wish it was Robin throughout 2010- 2014 or even just Richard and Ron. I don't think the three-guitar lineup was ever used to its full potential in GNR. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

To be completely honest, I still don't mind DJ at those shows I went to. I admit that is probably me forcing myself to accept him because I cared a lot about that lineup. In 2010 he looked more normalish and wore flannel and tried his best to play a lot of the material note- for- note. He wore that stupid hat, but overall, he wasn't unbearable. For the USA tour in 2011 I thought he played fine at my show, and then for the 2012 theater gig a few months later, he was actually really great with the crowd. He let me strum some guitar strings and interacted with the front, a lot. I got to meet him that year and he was alright. I am not defending the dude, he is definitely the worst lead guitar player the band has ever had, but I think a lot of that is due to his social media persona and his deteriorating image. It became ridiculous as that lineup went on. The playing got sloppier too throughout 2012- 2014. I am thankful he contributed to a lineup I followed very closely, but I am of course glad he is long- gone from GNR. 

I do wish it was Robin throughout 2010- 2014 or even just Richard and Ron. I don't think the three-guitar lineup was ever used to its full potential in GNR. 

Yeah, I'm with you re DJ. I actually liked him in the band back when he first joined. I remember Robin getting a fair amount of flak for how he'd play the Slash stuff and DJ was a lot more polished live playing the old stuff. I'd also seen Robin with NIN on the Wave Goodbye tour and it was great seeing him back with Trent so I wasn't massively upset. I've always seen Robin as Trent's Mick Ronson really. I think the key thing for me was that in the DJ era, Ron was also there and I've been a massive fan of his since he joined so I feel that as it wasn't just DJ it worked. I agree the sloppiness really set in from 2012-2014 and it really was astounding how ropey he could be. I mean, Robin could have some bum notes in there but DJ was a whole rung down sloppiness wise as time went on. I also have no idea what he was thinking with that Patience solo - I mean, if any song really doesn't need a Heartbreaker style solo in it, it's Patience - completely ruined the vibe of the song. It did give us the Tommy clapping meme though so it was at least useful for something :lol:

I think the thing with DJ is, the cliched rockstar stuff aside and all the marketing stuff, he came across alright and fans have positive things to say about him. The issue is that guitar players with DJ's chops are a dime a dozen, there's nothing special or innovative about him when compared with the other guitarists in the band - I mean, I saw Richard do a show with Thin Lizzy in 2011 and it showed he could play rings around DJ technique wise. In some respects though, I've never seen that as DJ's USP really - he's a producer and writer first and foremost really and that was main input with Crue and Sixx:AM. I guess given new material was never going to happen with the NuGuns guys that was the issue really, without the producer/co-writer role DJ was essentially just a guitarist covering other people's parts with diminishing accuracy as time went on. I think Ron and Richard could easily have just carried the guitars together in NuGuns as there's no drastic difference with two guitarists in the current era, especially as NuGuns had (and GN'R still has) two keyboard players to fill out the sound anyway. 

Edited by Seb91
  • Like 1

Robin did get a lot of flak from 2007-2010. I probably would cringe on some posts I made on him looking back. He was a very sloppy player in the band, but because of that, a lot of really creative and interesting playing came out of his contributions at the shows. Jimmy Page was a sloppy player, too. Some Zeppelin shows were train wrecks and some were the most magic things ever because of that. Keeps things interesting. Robin had his own style and made old songs his own while contributing some excellent parts to the new material. Guys like Robin, Bucket, and Ron are artists with their own stamp of playing and a desire to contribute artistically to a project. Richard is more of a session guy, but he is INCREDIBLE with an amazing way of playing and tone. I am glad he is in the current lineup with Slash, actually.

As you said, @Seb91, DJ just didn't bring anything to the table. He is a very average heavy metal/hard rock guitar player that chooses style over substance. It doesn't help that his visual style sucks and his original playing is underwhelming at best. I liked Sixx AM as a teenager, I guess. That same buddy I mention often in this thread, and I still bring up his "Betcha Can't Pay This" Youtube solo because its fucking hilarious. At the time, it was cool hearing him try and do some of the older stuff note- for- note, but looking back, I'd take a guy like Robin in that spot doing his own thing. I like it when live music is different, and since it wasn't Slash up there, it was cool to have all these guitarists playing things differently to reflect their way of playing. DJ was still decent on a lot of the stuff in 2010, though. Sorry, Better, Street of Dreams, Knocking, Brownstone, etc. weren't bad with him. I didn't really dig his Nightrain solo, but that is more of a personal preference. I always preferred the awesome 2002 Bucket versions and the 2006 Rock Am Ring Bumble version for NuGNR Nightrains. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

At first, I thought DJ was great for the band. He brought something out of Axl that I hadn't seen on stage since Slash. 

At some point in 2011 or after he must have seen the writing on the wall. His contributions were not going to be used, and it was going to be a continuous cycle of playing the old songs. That = frustrations and boredom.

• Like 3

I’m 37. Became a fan of GNR in 1990 at 4 years old. I had a very cool young Aunt :lol:. She gave me her AFD cassette (along with Ride the Lightning and Killing is My Business… And Business is Good). 

WTTJ was my early favorite. Then, like @ZoSoRose I noticed the SCOM solo. I can’t believe I can still hear cause for many years, I blasted that solo at full volume with cheap headphones plugged into my boom box.

I was not on any forums during NuGuns. I saw the VMA performance and loved the idea of Madagascar. Got pretty hooked into the song. At that time I was big into skateboarding and hell raising so I spent zero time in front of a computer so I let it go. “An album would surely be out soon.” :lol:

I heard no leaks. The first time I heard about CD being released was 2010! So I immediately pirated it. It sucked. 

The following year I had a new coworker who loved music. GNR came up, then CD came up. He begged me to give it a few more full listens. So I did. And it was magically awesome somehow! I couldn’t believe I went from hating it to loving it. I primarily listened to only CD for probably 6 months. 

I will ALWAYS and FOREVER consider it as an Axl solo record tho and I refuse to rank it against any Guns album prior.

• Like 4

I honestly like the entire album. Better, There Was a Time, Madagascar, and Prostitute are probably my top tracks from it. I think the triple punch of ChiDem- Shackler's- Better is a killer album opener. My least favorite song on the album is Scraped, but I did enjoy it live. It isn't a bad song for me, just not as good as the others. Maybe Hard Skool would have been better in that slot. Doesn't matter, though. 

Riad is the song that has grown on me the most in recent years. There is some cool shit on that track. 

• Like 3

Nice write up, it almost mirrors me, even with the college timing and I’m on the west side of Michigan, my first show was 2011 Chicago, before they announced the Detroit show show of that year. My dad and I saw them again in 2012, 2016, and 2021 all in Detroit. I hope they play there on the next tour. 

BIG missed opportunity not releasing CD2 before the reunion. If they managed to get it out between 2009-2016 or whatever, it both would have forced them to actually make new music with NITL (though they still would have had some Chinese tunes outside of CD1 and 2) and we would get to hear more amazing Buckethead and Robin stuff (with Bumble playing over some) which I’d prefer over butchered reworked versions, though 2023 Perhaps was pretty good, except for Slash’s solo IMO. Absurd was mixed poorly, otherwise ok and Hard Skool was a mess!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I honestly like the entire album. Better, There Was a Time, Madagascar, and Prostitute are probably my top tracks from it. I think the triple punch of ChiDem- Shackler's- Better is a killer album opener. My least favorite song on the album is Scraped, but I did enjoy it live. It isn't a bad song for me, just not as good as the others. Maybe Hard Skool would have been better in that slot. Doesn't matter, though. 

Riad is the song that has grown on me the most in recent years. There is some cool shit on that track. 

I agree. The whole album is rather enjoyable, even if not all of the songs GREAT.

There's also a few of the tracks where I prefer earlier demo's (Riad with Bucket solo), Catcher (With Brian May) & Street Of Dreams (2002 live version).

I rarely listen to If The World, though. That's one of the ones that was far better with raspy vocals.

• Like 1

Really nice thread here @ZoSoRose!

As an older Guns fan, I did enjoy following the whole CD saga and bought my copy on the day of release en route to Monterrey with my wife and young kids. I played the disc back to back three times before I got the look that told me it was time for something different :lol:

As much as I do really like a lot of CD, the entire era is still not considered to be GnR for me. The only time I saw NuGuns live was at the Bridge School and you all know how that went. 

I'm right there with you, @ZoSoRose. I got into GNR listening to classic rock radio in 2000-2001, just in time for 2002. I desperately wanted to go see them, but I was 14 and my parents were afraid the shows wouldn't be safe after the early riots. In 2006 I almost got tickets but plans fell through at the last second. I kept wanting to see them when they'd pop back up but it never worked out. 2012 Up Close and Personal in Philly was my first time seeing them. People will shit on that band - especially Dj - until eternity, and I get it. But at the same time, that was MY GN'R for a long time (pun intended). Having my elbows on the stage, catching the pick that Dj used for his Sorry solo, getting to meet the band at the stage door after the show... I have nothing but incredible memories of that night and that band.

• Like 3

Great read and you bring up a great point; for those of us that were really "all-in" when it came to Guns N' Roses and loving all their lineups, the hype of 2009/2010 was almost (if not) higher than the 2016 shows. Between Axl being absolutely on fire with energy and vocals and the marathon set lists, it really was a great time to be a fan. Not having Robin there was (for me at least) a bummer, but they more than made up for it. Add in the surprise shows and Axl still having some of the "old Axl" in him in terms of rants and breakdowns, I would argue the 2009/10 was the closest the band felt to the UYI era since 1993. I can still remember the ridiculousness of the rant against Madison or looking at that video of Axl hitting the photographer at the airport to determine whether or not he still had the braids. 

Also good points all around on DJ. I really do not think it was hatred right off the bat. People had reservations about him from the get-go admittedly, but we also emphasized the positives: he had a much deeper background to hard rock than Robin did, the fact that DJ was as well known as a songwriter as he was a guitarist was a good sign that Axl might be interested in writing new material, and even before he played a show with the band, DJ seemed interested in trying to reach out to fan in a meaningful way. And for his shows in 2009/10, he ranged from "fine" to actually pretty good. Like others said, he seemed more interesting in playing things note for note and his whole "persona" seemed toned down compared to later years. I would argue he played Slash's solos more faithfully than Robin (which is not a rock on Robin, as I liked some his versions of the Slash solos) and, in hindsight, certainly tackled the Chinese Democracy material better than Slash has since 2016. Heading out of 2010, I honestly remember the vibe being very similar to how it was for many people with Robin in 2002; there was a lot of room for improvement but the task did not seem above him to be a great fit in the band. It was when they came back with RiR 2011 that all the negative things about DJ seemed amped up: the showboating on stage, the teenage girl level social media posts, being a walking billboard for other brands (and his own shit), and (most unforgivably), his guitar playing really seemed to just stop improving and, in some cases, get worse than it had been. Say what you will about Robin, but even some of his most ardent haters admitted he really put the work in to improving his playing between 2001/2002 (where I personally thought he still sounded great) to 2006/2007. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

I was a big follower of this era until Chinese Democracy was released. I guess I would call it the "braids/cornrow"/Finck era of the band. It was really interesting right from the star with Buckethead in the band, then Axl hit his stride vocally in 2006 and that was amazing to see. Once the album finally got released, I loved (and still enjoy) most of it. After the release came and went though with no promotion/touring, it soured for me. I did see them in 2011 and it was an awesome show. I could just never really get into the whole Ashba era very much and never felt compelled to pick up the blu ray from that era.

I think what this thread hits home is the difference the gap in touring from 2010 to 11 made. Axl returns at Rio bloated, out of practice, the band became sloppy and the whole vibe had changed in to a never ending nostalgia act. 

2010 he had such venom and a drive. Like he was trying to prove himself. Whatever changed between 2010 and 11 obviously effected him and killed nu guns, the remaining few years in hindsight were just visiting each country around the world one last time. 

• Like 2