THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 minute ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

Even Madagascar has the same depth to Axls voice and his highs are clean but signature. The first song in this leak is to messy even in the music.

Also, im a guitar player and audio engineer, it has too much sloppiness

I don't think there's even a question of authenticity. It's very clearly GNR. I will agree that Axl has never sang like the way he sings on The General on a released track, however there's plenty of examples of new vocal approaches we hadn't heard from Axl on CD.

3 minutes ago, GNR123GNR456 said:

I see where you could be coming from, but this is also a guy who's a insane perfectionist and had years to toy around with the sound and vocal's. 

who would never release a vocal thats off pitch and drums that are out of place. Even CD vocals we're tuned oposed to the original village demos and Absurd, Hardskool and Perhaps both are autotuned/melodyne'd compared to the demos

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think there's even a question of authenticity. It's very clearly GNR. I will agree that Axl has never sang like the way he sings on The General on a released track, however there's plenty of examples of new vocal approaches we hadn't heard from Axl on CD.

You're right, there's no question this is real.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think even on the Village mixes, cd, even Oh My God has distinct thinks in axl voice even as he aproached new things. Even Scraped has that distinct sound to his upper range.

4 hours ago, THELINESMAN said:

From the band that brought you Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusions, the masters of blues based hard rock 😬 This sounds very…different, unique. If that’s what they were going for, great. Personally I think it’s a waste of what they’re best at. The bits I like are the hints at the old sound, end of Monsters in particular. In parts Axl sounds out of tune in his own song because the key/melody is just so weird. Weird!

Blues base hard rock is right, that’s why I like the Stones so much as well and they were a big influence. I don’t know, it’s like I want to like it just because it’s GN’R but just not good.

4 hours ago, THELINESMAN said:

From the band that brought you Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusions, the masters of blues based hard rock 😬 This sounds very…different, unique. If that’s what they were going for, great. Personally I think it’s a waste of what they’re best at. The bits I like are the hints at the old sound, end of Monsters in particular. In parts Axl sounds out of tune in his own song because the key/melody is just so weird. Weird!

Axl is so out of key and rythm ....

10 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

I think the lyrics to this is what we've been believing is "Can the devil do Mommy and me?" which was an instrumental Axl was writing for a movie, maybe thats the connection to Beltrami in the first place

Axl said that was an instrumental only piece.

It’s a work of art. Straight and simple.

I listened to them separate first and together later, and I can’t express in words how surreal and intimate the whole experience was.

It’s a very personal and daring, creative, all around genius way to breathe life into a song.

It’s the kind of raw writing that feels almost gut wrenching, coupled with some very interesting and tasteful melodies both in the vocals and in the guitar. Man the breakdown guitar lick just before the angry bridge got me moving with it.

In a way it’s what I was hoping for, it seems like an evolution and at the same time an experimentation with the sounds and the general vibe that cut through in a way that other attempts (shackler’s, absurd, oh my god) didn’t really get to.

If that’s Slash playing there he absolutely outdid himself and dare I say connected with the song in a way that we maybe never heard since the reunion, even on the the old stuff.

I may be overexcited but this really seems a confirmation of the heights these artists can get to, the songs separated may not be hits or easily listenable but as a whole experience it makes you dive in a hole that only true sincere meaningful art can do.

It’s out of this world.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

It’s a work of art. Straight and simple.

I listened to them separate first and together later, and I can’t express in words how surreal and intimate the whole experience was.

It’s a very personal and daring, creative, all around genius way to breathe life into a song.

It’s the kind of raw writing that feels almost gut wrenching, coupled with some very interesting and tasteful melodies both in the vocals and in the guitar. Man the breakdown guitar lick just before the angry bridge got me moving with it.

In a way it’s what I was hoping for, it seems like an evolution and at the same time an experimentation with the sounds and the general vibe that cut through in a way that other attempts (shackler’s, absurd, oh my god) didn’t really get to.

If that’s Slash playing there he absolutely outdid himself and dare I say connected with the song in a way that we maybe never heard since the reunion, even on the the old stuff.

I may be overexcited but this really seems a confirmation of the heights these artists can get to, the songs separated may not be hits or easily listenable but as a whole experience it makes you dive in a hole that only true sincere meaningful art can do.

It’s out of this world.

This is how I feel, it's great, but a lot won't agree, they want appetite part 2, which will stink like hard skool.

No point going back, I know this is a an old song, but it sounds like a "modern gnr" to me.

• Like 3

Just now, Voodoochild said:

I’m starting to think he heard evader’s The General instead of the real deal. 

He? As in me?

"The General and the Monsters" is clearly the same song, no?

What songs do you know that are legally registered as the same song but aren't?

They might release them separately but they are at least, twins, no?

Just like mentioned, this is the most beautiful art crafted by GN'R since Estranged imo. This is all I ever wanted from GN'R, this is exactly the evolution I wish they followed through on with Chinese Democracy.

This is the first time in years a GN'R song made me cry (excluding live perfomances). Monsters was nearly all I ever wanted and hoped for, and the emotions I went through listening to it is something I'll probably never experience again.

For me it's completely unbelievable how GN'R hid these songs for so long, and it makes me respect the inital vision of ChiDem even more. Especially happy to have ol' Pele proven wrong :lol:

It's just so bizarre. Finally we heard The General and all nine(!) minutes of it (I consider those two songs a package :lol:). We're officially in the post-General world now.

It's been a wild fucking ride, thanks MyGNR for all the laughs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’d say I wish Monsters had been on Chinese Democracy but I really think Slash’s presence on the song makes it sound like a true Guns N’ Roses song.

At first I didn’t appreciate that The General was still a demo and I’m glad it was because the intro sounded like one of those pre-loaded beats you get on an electric keyboard. I’m hoping the final version will let us hear his singing voice because it’s just wasted burying it in the mix like that.

After all these years of people using “Industrial” as the description of where Axl wanted to take GN’R, it turns out he just wanted to do some heavy metal music.

I’ll refrain from listening until we get the finished articles but cool sounding stuff.