THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, colonizedmind said:

Do your ears work? Are you a fan of this band? Do you know what Slash's tone sounds like? 

We are all making educated guess here.

Street of Dreams and This I Love have solos that sounds in my ears more Slash like than Absurd. So?

• Like 1

Don't know if this (regarding the release of the song(s) digitally) has been commented/discussed before, but last night, after the communicate about the vinyl delayed and the leak came, in the Nightrain forum somebody asked this directly to Jarmo:

"Thanks for the update Jarmo. Any news on a digital release?"

And his response was:

"I suspect all releases will happen at the same time"

So, not a confirmation of course, but a much less vague response than the "Perhaps" than Fernando did

7 minutes ago, liers said:

Is anyone else thinking that the leaks may have been done intentionally by the GnR camp? Perhaps there was an issue with the manufacturing of the vinyl so they leaked the songs out this wat to make up for it in the mean time?

Or they could have just released them on streaming platforms..? Why would they leak their own songs, in lesser quality, get zero money and zero credit, when they could just put it on spotify and be labelled heroes by everyone and make money? Theory disproved. 

• Like 1

Just now, Agattuso said:

Street of Dreams and This I Love have solos that sounds in my ears more Slash like than Absurd. So?

That's probably because Fortus plays many leads on Absurd and you didn't even realize it was not Slash. Anyone who plays guitar for any length of time knows what Slash sounds like, I can pick him out blindly from any recording because I've studied his playing since I started guitar and that's 100% him on both leaks.

Everyone who is talking about the songs being different than what was heard at the after party….

of course they are different. They were reworked, re-recorded, re-tinkered with, re-layered….re everything.  Like just about every other song. 

I’ve never heard the full versions of either of these before but both of them have a State of Grace sound to them, if you know what I’m talking about. It’s interesting that Perhaps, Catcher and Atlas all fit together sound wise as do  General, Monsters, and SOG.

Safe to say Monsters, Monstrosity, and Elvis are all the same song. 

These versions have Slash and Duff all over them. Will be interesting to hear the high quality versions but I’m under the assumption that these are the final tracks, just ripped with very low quality.  

I for one really wish we would have gotten a double  album of disc one with these industrial songs and then disc two with the illusion leaning songs in early 2000. Would have fit right in with everything going on at the time and would have been a great bridge of old Guns sound and Axl’s new sound that was very modern at the time of recording  

industrial side

Chinese

Better

Shacklers

OMG

SOG

Silkworms

General

Monstrosity

illusions side

Blues

Maddy

Catcher

Atlas

Perhaps

IRS

TIL

Prostitute 

9 minutes ago, liers said:

Is anyone else thinking that the leaks may have been done intentionally by the GnR camp? Perhaps there was an issue with the manufacturing of the vinyl so they leaked the songs out this wat to make up for it in the mean time?

Yes. There was an issue, havent you seen the GNR post on Facebook and Twitter?

1 minute ago, Agattuso said:

Street of Dreams and This I Love don't sound like Slash at all, completely different tone, Absurd sounds like Slash, because it is Slash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

Did you say earlier a song can't change tempo or key, thus it must be fake or an AI? IS that a serious comment or you jus trolling? I mean no one sad enough to be on any forum is that musically illiterate and dumb? People here tend to be a bit more hardcore. not that some people dont say stupid shit, but this is reaaaaaaaaallly stupid. 

I didn't say a song can't change tempo or key. I said the registered song is called "The General And Monsters". If you know a bit about music rights, you know each song has a specific ISWC and ISRC number, so this can't be 2 separates songs. We received leaks from 2 songs and everyone is saying they're following each other to make a 9 minutes song. I said no. And added, it would be weird to do that considering how the songs are made (BPM / Key Signature).

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That's probably because Fortus plays many leads on Absurd and you didn't even realize it was not Slash. Anyone who plays guitar for any length of time knows what Slash sounds like, I can pick him out blindly from any recording because I've studied his playing since I started guitar and that's 100% him on both leaks.

Cannot believe there are people questioning if this is Slash?:facepalm: Yes the guitar is Slash, you only need to have heard one slash song to recognise this tone. And yes it is Axl for those who think its AI. Jesus christ

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, liers said:

Makes no sense at all....if you're gonna do that....you're gonna put it out early? You put it on your own platforms, where you can monetise the little money music gets these days..you don't give it to some random fan on a forum or even join said forum and pretend to be said random fan....then when it hits YT and other places, have universal pulling it (slacking now but they did do that...)

So follow through with the logic...NO.

Or they could have just released them on streaming platforms..? Why would they leak their own songs, in lesser quality, get zero money and zero credit, when they could just put it on spotify and be labelled heroes by everyone and make money? Theory disproved. 

Because it’s Guns N’ Roses. Nothing makes sense. They don’t make much off spotify

1 minute ago, kitstuai said:

I didn't say a song can't change tempo or key. I said the registered song is called "The General And Monsters". If you know a bit about music rights, you know each song has a specific ISWC and ISRC number, so this can't be 2 separates songs. We received leaks from 2 songs and everyone is saying they're following each other to make a 9 minutes song. I said no. And added, it would be weird to do that considering how the songs are made (BPM / Key Signature).

They arre clearly one song, as you have said the ISRC number proves it. 

Cannot believe there are people questioning if this is Slash?:facepalm: Yes the guitar is Slash, you only need to have heard one slash song to recognise this tone. And yes it is Axl for those who think its AI. Jesus christ

The monster solos in particular are SOO Slash i'd question whether you're really a fan at all if you're even debating that....or I'll forgive ya if you're tone deaf or something...

No debate at all. Let's not waste our time. 

1 minute ago, liers said:

Because it’s Guns N’ Roses. Nothing makes sense. They don’t make much off spotify

Lol first point agreed. but listen, don't buy they dont make much off spotify. They make loads. Ok it's not what it would be if these people bought hard copies, but they get 10million + streams per month. they are doing ok. if we were getting what they get on Spotify we'd be in heaven. 

1 minute ago, colonizedmind said:

The monster solos in particular are SOO Slash i'd question whether you're really a fan at all if you're even debating that....or I'll forgive ya if you're tone deaf or something...

No debate at all. Let's not waste our time. 

I think being deaf full stop is the only excuse i can give for people questioning if it is slash on monsters.

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

I love your write up and theorising...I was thinking similar things as I hyper focused my ears on Axl's words...so there must be something to all our interpretations and feelings we're extracting from our listening experiences...

I'm so anticipation the final mixes and the 💯 sign off from the band on how these tunes are meant to be heard and taken...but the extremely moody vibe and dark chilly atmosphere throughout with Axl sounding desperate and broken but also on the attack and breakout free of the ties that bind are the coolest Guns moments in many a decade for me. 

To me, it was a no brainer why this was coming out Halloween week ...so I hope they can still, in online form. Be a shame to miss the theme tie-in if that was their aim.....

Remember during the Axl Chats, the man himself said he'd rather not comment about exact inspirations to give the fans some time to develop their own ideas. So here we are!

I get lots of late era Faith No More influences from these two gems. Think "Stripsearch", "Last Cup Of Sorrow", "Paths Of Glory"

Anyone else hear that?

8 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

7 minutes ago, liers said:

Ya....but dude...that's even a step too far of stupidity for them! So let's just park some of these silly, no logic theories shall we? There's literally nothing that would back that up, form or otherwise. They barely want to give us music we give them money for ....YEA now they're gonna leak it for free when they've still got a vinyl that can be cancelled....

So let's not be dumb and waste pages on end with assine theories such as....

Let's save @downzyon his bandwidth bill a bit on that front! 

Edited by colonizedmind

13 minutes ago, Atlas19 said:

Don't know if this (regarding the release of the song(s) digitally) has been commented/discussed before, but last night, after the communicate about the vinyl delayed and the leak came, in the Nightrain forum somebody asked this directly to Jarmo:

"Thanks for the update Jarmo. Any news on a digital release?"

And his response was:

"I suspect all releases will happen at the same time"

So, not a confirmation of course, but a much less vague response than the "Perhaps" than Fernando did

Jarmo doesn't know anything. Just a couple of days ago he was saying he hadn't heard anything about a delay.

9 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Makes no sense at all....if you're gonna do that....you're gonna put it out early? You put it on your own platforms, where you can monetise the little money music gets these days..you don't give it to some random fan on a forum or even join said forum and pretend to be said random fan....then when it hits YT and other places, have universal pulling it (slacking now but they did do that...)

So follow through with the logic...NO.

Yes. Unless Axl didn't want to release it on streaming services (at least not yet) so someone from the camp took the risk to leak it (without Axl's permission, of course) to appease the fans.