THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 minutes ago, rudolf1978 said:

Shackler as i remember was a new song and theast song added to CD the band tought that a fast so ng was needed.cant remember if ashba was in the band in that song but for sure was a new song

Shackler existed in the locker leaks as a raw instrumental (titled "Shancler's Revenge"). It was developed at some point later and combined with another Buckethead tune (don't remember which one). Definitely that was long before Ashba was in the band. Ashba joined after CD was released.

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Shackler existed in the locker leaks as a raw instrumental (titled "Shancler's Revenge"). It was developed at some point later and combined with another Buckethead tune (don't remember which one). Definitely that was long before Ashba was in the band. Ashba joined after CD was released.

Never heard about this other tune that was combined to make Shacklers. I've always assumed the chorus was just something Caram, Axl (and maybe Robin, as he was credit if I'm not mistaken?) came up with. 

Just now, Voodoochild said:

Never heard about this other tune that was combined to make Shacklers. I've always assumed the chorus was just something Caram, Axl (and maybe Robin, as he was credit if I'm not mistaken?) came up with. 

It's not anything concrete, just something some fans have assumed, but I can't remember which was the second instrumental from the locker leaks they were referring to (and it's been a while since I've listened to all those).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's not anything concrete, just something some fans have assumed, but I can't remember which was the second instrumental from the locker leaks they were referring to (and it's been a while since I've listened to all those).

I don't know either. Shackler's chorus is some very basic (and super overused in pop music nowadays) chord progression, tho. Doesn't sound much like a Bucket thing to me, but IDK. 

• Like 2

"Well....that was interesting...."

Ok so this is a good capture of the screen from the debut (mostly - he zooms in start of singing)

And still loads of question (par...) but what I can reasonably conclude is....

They all were totally into that! So much so, that this time with the live debut first, a lot of that footage and tomorrow's could be used to create a proper music video this time...I think since we're in a post-Perhaps world and they have a decent video team working for them and the views and reception/feedback (more importantly) was postivie re-video that this has a punchers chance of happening! I'm sure the team will assemble it at least....mix it with the backdrop graphics and it be kinda cool...

Slash does his usual moves every gig but I was seeing a lost in the moment playing this, not telegraphed moves which tells me there is a music video potentially and that he really digs his work on the song and playing new shit! Or he's high on MYGNR calling him Bucket! I even thought a few of his wiggles were Buckets Robot moves esque 😝 trolling those - you know who you are.

Axl...he sounded not half bad at all...for a first time...evidentially there's his pre comments that can be interpreted in different ways...did he rehearse this at pre-tour rehearsals or at the hotels sometimes (somewhere other than soundcheck) or does he just listen to the studio track in his cans and belt it out in his dressing room (or somewhere) as that was a more assured performance than most debut he's done...so he must of done some prep...even to just know the lyrics by heart...I think the song vocals suite his current range pretty well...most of these songs do (other than Hard Skool)....Monsters bridge, hmmm...would love to see an attempt tomorrow to answer that Question...

Finally....I think it's quite funny that on almost all the different placed filmers, when Axl mentions "The General" or the music starts, there's one dude that just looses his shit!!! Reminds us, we're not TOTALLY alone... there's at least one hyped dude in each section!!! :headbang:

Oh yea...The General is real, he's live and where the fuck did the 15 years go???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

"Well....that was interesting...."

Ok so this is a good capture of the screen from the debut (mostly - he zooms in start of singing)

And still loads of question (par...) but what I can reasonably conclude is....

They all were totally into that! So much so, that this time with the live debut first, a lot of that footage and tomorrow's could be used to create a proper music video this time...I think since we're in a post-Perhaps world and they have a decent video team working for them and the views and reception/feedback (more importantly) was postivie re-video that this has a punchers chance of happening! I'm sure the team will assemble it at least....mix it with the backdrop graphics and it be kinda cool...

Slash does his usual moves every gig but I was seeing a lost in the moment playing this, not telegraphed moves which tells me there is a music video potentially and that he really digs his work on the song and playing new shit! Or he's high on MYGNR calling him Bucket! I even thought a few of his wiggles were Buckets Robot moves esque 😝 trolling those - you know who you are.

Axl...he sounded not half bad at all...for a first time...evidentially there's his pre comments that can be interpreted in different ways...did he rehearse this at pre-tour rehearsals or at the hotels sometimes (somewhere other than soundcheck) or does he just listen to the studio track in his cans and belt it out in his dressing room (or somewhere) as that was a more assured performance than most debut he's done...so he must of done some prep...even to just know the lyrics by heart...I think the song vocals suite his current range pretty well...most of these songs do (other than Hard Skool)....Monsters bridge, hmmm...would love to see an attempt tomorrow to answer that Question...

Finally....I think it's quite funny that on almost all the different placed filmers, when Axl mentions "The General" or the music starts, there's one dude that just looses his shit!!! Reminds us, we're not TOTALLY alone... there's at least one hyped dude in each section!!! :headbang:

Oh yea...The General is real, he's live and where the fuck did the 15 years go???

really better live for the general

11 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

Then why is Axl's bridge from Monsters in Evaders remix of the General?

Please please mods....no offence to this person and don't mean to pick but as a general point....can we please pin a FYI thread on all the answers to points/misdirection like.these....GNR merry-go-round is a crazy one and particularly in the last few weeks, it's been ad nauseam, some of the confusion on many things such as this....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

it sounds like a combo of the original Shankler's demo and parts of Dub Suplex

• PERHAPS 1

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't know either. Shackler's chorus is some very basic (and super overused in pop music nowadays) chord progression, tho. Doesn't sound much like a Bucket thing to me, but IDK. 

I remember Axl Saying that the band thought the album needed a fast song. But i cant tell you when but for sure not 99 or 00... would be more 2005 or 2006. Was added to the album at the end

• Like 1

Anyone else think the Marco score is much more pronounced at points here than the leak? Hopefully that's boasted in final mix...Axl obviously cared about giving this song a good live debut with all he's got! Bring on Monsters....and more new music! We're more than ready...

Maybe remember remember the 5th November release? 

Best SQ mix from live debut IMO. Man of course it's the tingles of actually hearing this and THAT they did it...snap poll on Nov 1st of a General live debut wouldn't of come out very high in favour....so this tour has been full of little nuggets and surprises....I know that's small fry compared to other acts, but we can only judge against our own bands history...

BTW comment of the day on a YT video...The song is actually about how difficult Crocodile child birth is and how the Daddy rapped the MAMA crock and "I'm awfully sorry".....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

The vocal effects are the whole concept behind the song.

The  vocal are supposed to be murky because it represents a child calling out for help but nobody can hear him/her or make out what they are saying.

Those effects were deliberate 

Then why does he do the exact same thing on Prostitute and This I love and Madagascar? It's a small miracle he left well alone on Twat. 

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

Call my attention i can't see it in anywhere site about The General is about abuse child.

I don't think any article said The General was about child abuse prior leaks. However, I'm 100% there was an article that said there was a Chinese Democracy song about child abuse and some people assumed it was The General.

Then, there was the "there's a child chained to the bed" line in the Evader mix and many more people (including me) jumped on that theory, which is kinda hilarious in retrospect, given the lyrics were completely wrong and that song wasn't even The General. lol

Still, against all odds, we ended up being right and The General really was the song about child abuse. That's wild.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaioAKR said:

I don't think any article said The General was about child abuse prior leaks. However, I'm 100% there was an article that said there was a Chinese Democracy song about child abuse and some people assumed it was The General.

Then, there was the "there's a child chained to the bed" line in the Evader mix and many more people (including me) jumped on that theory, which is kinda hilarious in retrospect, given the lyrics were completely wrong and that song wasn't even The General. lol

Still, against all odds, we ended up being right and The General really was the song about child abuse. That's wild.

Yes, it was in two different articles that reported about Axl's conversation with fans at pool side in Rio 2001:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1683-2001-01-16-o-globo-axl-talks-at-pool-side

https://www.a-4-d.com/t7429-2001-mm-dd-rolling-stone-argentina-axl-rose-fifteen-days-in-the-life

I'm really wondering how fans made the connection between that mention of a song about child abuse and The General, considering that Bach's comment about it being the sequel to Estranged didn't hint to this subject matter. Was it just due to Evader's interpretation or was there a rumour before that?

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Who else thinks Slash would of been pretty stoked when he got in amongst stuff like The General and saw that it had a Marco Belltrami score in it....a master of horror scoring, I think he'd think that's pretty awesome! Good to hear the score louder in the live mix....hopefully transfers to the final mix....

Anyone else see the rumours about folk thinking Axl was referring to recording General final vocal this year and that's why the vocal is closer to now and buried in distortion.....

Yeah some believe the Chorus is but i just think it's a choice is all

1 hour ago, CaioAKR said:

I refer about the last articles about  of the song, like Ultimate Classic Rock, Spin,Loudwire, Rolling Stone. Is weird.

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Monsters seem to be the same song as Soul Monster (also called Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul and Leave Me Alone). It seems to have nothing in common with My and My Elvis (except for sharing the Elvis name in an early version).

For all we know Me & My Elvis could be Cuban Sky's or anything. But it seems way to fleshed out to have been dropped