THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

Just now, DeNfr said:

you still missing the point, try again. 

and I'm not talking about the insults. be careful. 

What’s the difference if they don’t like songs after 20 years or not? People can still hope for good songs and not like them.

Yes, please act tough. That’s not pathetic either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

What’s the difference if they don’t like songs after 20 years or not? People can still hope for good songs and not like them.

Yes, please act tough. That’s not pathetic either.

but that wasn't the case there, like he said himself, he no longer hopes anything from the band at this point.

you really like the word "pathetic", and now I know why.

3 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

but that wasn't the case there, like he said himself, he no longer hopes anything from the band at this point.

you really like the word "pathetic", and now I know why.

It doesn’t make any difference. They listened to the song. I don’t expect great songs from the band and yet, I still would love for them to surprise me. They listened to it for a reason. Some of you honestly think people wait around and listen to four songs in 15 years just to purposely hate on them automatically? Come on. People want a good surprise from this band.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeNfr said:

talking about surprises, fun facts about the last singles "everyone hates" : 

Spotify Top Guns N' Roses Songs

- Hard Skool with 18,468,653 streaming (Don't Damn Me is 37 / Locomotive is 39)
72ABSUЯD with 7,255,993 streaming (71 Paradise City (Vegas 92) / 73 Catcher In The Rye)
80 - Perhaps with 6,090,787 streaming (79 Estranged live / 81 I.R.S)

The General isn't listed yet 

not so bad for "shitty" songs 

The General 634,479 (you can see the number on Spotify from the pc)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DeNfr said:

72ABSUЯD with 7,255,993 streaming (71 Paradise City (Vegas 92) / 73 Catcher In The Rye)

Wow, casual fans are not listening to 32 year old deep cuts over the songs that Guns are pushing on their social media and playing live at their shows? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DSTK said:

Nobody gives a shit about streaming numbers apart from Americans...the rest of the woeld doesn't care ...they tend dine out on rock radio & Spotify streams.

yup, nobody. except the artists, the companies, and everyone involved in record industry, some part of the general public and random fans.

except all of them, nobody really.

• Like 1

Imagine if Spotify was around in the 80s when AFD and Lies were both in the charts? 

Or 91 when people were queuing up overnight for the Illusions? 

How many listens would those songs be on now? 

As it turns out, Spotify is a fairly new platform and people mainly listen to the hits, AFD and the new material Guns promotes on their social media etc. 

It’s hardly a surprise that deep cuts that might not have ever been played live are not getting many streams in 2023. 

20 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Wow, casual fans are not listening to 32 year old deep cuts over the songs that Guns are pushing on their social media and playing live at their shows? 

They are playing Pretty Tied Up at the concerts all the time as well, but Hard Skool is still a more popular song on Spotify. Even Absurd is more popular than Down On The Farm, even though that one is played at the concerts all the time as well.

And if you look at the DAILY streams, the list is even more interesting. Hard Skool has 13,204 streams per day. That is about the same amount as Out Ta Get Me which has 13,780 streams per day. And Perhaps is even more popular. It has 25,213 daily streams, which is more than for example My Michelle with it's 21,546 daily streams.

You might say that Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle are deep cuts as well, so casuals don't care about them, but seriously the GNR discography is not that large. Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle are fairly popular songs from their most popular album. Still Hard Skool and Perhaps are about as popular. You can't expect these new songs to compete with songs like Welcome To The Jungle. That would be a ridiculous idea. But all in all the songs are doing quite well.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

They are playing Pretty Tied Up at the concerts all the time as well, but Hard Skool is still a more popular song on Spotify. Even Absurd is more popular than Down On The Farm, even though that one is played at the concerts all the time as well.

And if you look at the DAILY streams, the list is even more interesting. Hard Skool has 13,204 streams per day. That is about the same amount as Out Ta Get Me which has 13,780 streams per day. And Perhaps is even more popular. It has 25,213 daily streams, which is more than for example My Michelle with it's 21,546 daily streams.

You might say that Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle are deep cuts as well, so casuals don't care about them, but seriously the GNR discography is not that large. Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle are fairly popular songs from their most popular album. Still Hard Skool and Perhaps are about as popular. You can't expect these new songs to compete with songs like Welcome To The Jungle. That would be a ridiculous idea. But all in all the songs are doing quite well.

I’ve had a Spotify account for 6 years now. I’ve probably listened to each of the new songs over 50 times each. They are new and fresh and I want to give them a chance. I’m sure people on this forum have listened way more than me. 

In the 6 years, I’ve probably only listened to Locomotive, PTU, Down on the farm 50 times. 

They’re deep cuts. I gave them plenty of spins back in the day but I don’t listen to them much in the last few years. And I think they are much better songs than the latest songs. 

If there’s a new music platform 20 or 30 years from now, then we’ll get a better idea how popular then new songs are. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I’ve had a Spotify account for 6 years now. I’ve probably listened to each of the new songs over 50 times each. They are new and fresh and I want to give them a chance. I’m sure people on this forum have listened way more than me. 

In the 6 years, I’ve probably only listened to Locomotive, PTU, Down on the farm 50 times. 

They’re deep cuts. I gave them plenty of spins back in the day but I don’t listen to them much in the last few years. And I think they are much better songs than the latest songs. 

If there’s a new music platform 20 or 30 years from now, then we’ll get a better idea how popular then new songs are. 

Sure, but at the same time you could say that these numbers are biased in favor of older songs. If we're only looking at the overall streaming numbers, older songs will always have a head start. People have been listening to those songs for years and years. But even though people have been jamming to Locomotive and PTU for over a decade on Spotify, Hard Skool is still more popular than them, not only when you look at daily streams, but also when you look at overall numbers. That is not too shabby.

Obviously time will tell how popular these songs will eventually be, but people used to say that the Chinese Democracy songs sucked compared to the older material too, and those songs would never be anywhere near as popular as the older material. But This I Love is outpacing Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle on Spotify, not just daily but overall. Even today This I Love has more daily streams than Estranged for example. You can't explain that with the novelty of TIL. The song is over ten years old now.

I prefer Estranged over TIL, but the numbers don't lie. Sometimes you just have to admit that some songs are super popular even if they are not your cup of tea. And just because you don't like certain songs doesn't mean that they suck. We don't know for certain how popular these new songs will end up being in the long run, but based on how popular Hard Skool and Perhaps are now, I think it's safe to say that they will always be relatively popular. People clearly like these songs. They are not universally hated like some people like to claim just because they don't personally like them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

People clearly like these songs. They are not universally hated like some people like to claim just because they don't personally like them.

Agree. About The General: It's been almost a week after the release and at least for me, the majority of top comments on YouTube are positive. I know this is not much, and the views are much lower than Perhaps, but that's expected. 

Overall, I think it is what it is. The song is not universally liked, but I feel there's not that much hate as some may want to focus on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

Agree. About The General: It's been almost a week after the release and at least for me, the majority of top comments on YouTube are positive. I know this is not much, and the views are much lower than Perhaps, but that's expected. 

Overall, I think it is what it is. The song is not universally liked, but I feel there's not that much hate as some may want to focus on.

Absurd and The General are clearly more controversial than Perhaps and Hard Skool. Personally I like all of the new songs, but it's pretty obvious that these more experimental songs are always going to be more divisive. I wouldn't even mind if some people called Absurd and The General universally hated, even if that's not true. But many people do hate those songs, so I can at least understand why someone would think that everyone hates them.

The reception of Hard Skool and Perhaps on the other hand has been overwhelmingly positive. It's only really here where I see people bitching about Hard Skool. Casual GNR fans seemed to love it and Perhaps as well. And you can see it in the Spotify streaming numbers. It is going to be very interesting to see how popular The General will be on Spotify.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DeNfr said:

Streaming numbers. That’ll show everyone that their opinions are wrong lol.

So, essentially, anyone who doesn’t like the song should look at these numbers and know that the songs are actually good? That they just don’t “get it” yet?

Some of you try too hard. Some people just dislike the songs. Not the end of the world like some seem to feel here.

13 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

It doesn’t make any difference. They listened to the song. I don’t expect great songs from the band and yet, I still would love for them to surprise me. They listened to it for a reason. Some of you honestly think people wait around and listen to four songs in 15 years just to purposely hate on them automatically? Come on. People want a good surprise from this band.

Maybe that account is warchild :lol:

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Actually you're proving my point; where are the punk ballads? Be more specific; what is different between the "informations" a genre gives you versus this "format" thing I've never heard anyone talk about before you? Genre refers to style. A ballad is also just a different style.

What would you call it when Axl says "gimme some reggae" during Knockin on Heaven's Door? What would you call My World or Tastes Good, Don't It? Those are different genres. And It's So Easy can absolutely be called a punk song. Hell, they did an entire punk cover album. 

Furthermore, acoustic rock is its own genre. OIAM is acoustic rock and folk rock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_in_a_Million_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

If you like rock, that doesn't mean you like ballads and acoustic songs. As proven by the split up of GNR. Hello?

Yeah, that was my point... you've made up this distinction. I literally studied music theory in college. "Format" is not a thing. You've made it up. There is no such term in music theory.

If it's not subjective, where is your evidence? All I see are vague declarations.

Sorry, English isn’t my first language. I meant musical form. 
Musical form is about structure of the composition, you might think of a ballad but more classical examples are minuet or concert. 
Genre tells you more about the period and cultural aspect of a certain group of composition. 
Genre can give information such as instrumentation, rock is generally made by drums guitars and bass with vocal, but that isn’t fixed, while musical form sometimes is for example a string quartet is always 4 strings players performing a piece. 
this is very easy information to find, just look for music genre on wiki, the first thing it says is “genre isn’t to be confused with musical form”. 
I might ha used the wrong term, but if you had any idea of what you were talking about you would have easily understood my point. 
The fact that you don’t know things doesn’t mean people make them up. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre

just out of curiosity, what band belongs to the ballad genre? 😂

Edited by Lelex95

19 minutes ago, Spuffy78 said:

Man it's like 06 all over again we've got leaks and people either enjoy it or hate it. :lol:

I enjoy Monsters and hope it gets a release, even though I'm assuming the production will be shite again. Perhaps was the sweet spot, where it wasn't incredible sounding, but it also wasn't mind-numbingly awful engineering-wise either. More of that would be good enough for me at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeppelin said:

Streaming numbers. That’ll show everyone that their opinions are wrong lol.

So, essentially, anyone who doesn’t like the song should look at these numbers and know that the songs are actually good? That they just don’t “get it” yet?

Some of you try too hard. Some people just dislike the songs. Not the end of the world like some seem to feel here.

Has anyone actually said that you should like these songs? Has anyone said that your opinions are not valid?

I could be wrong but I thought that DeNfr:s post was a response to people who act like these songs are factually bad. Nobody cares whether or not you like these songs. But if you act like it's a fact that these songs are bad, that's another issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Maybe that account is warchild :lol:

dude! I thought it was you! and Zeppelin was MSL! what a duet! :lol:

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

I could be wrong but I thought that DeNfr post was a response to people who act like these songs are factually bad. 

no, you're correct. those two others are not.