THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

A lot of people do and im glad cause i WANT people to enjoy whatever they please :) its just not my jam #GoWithChrist

Melodically it's a really strong chorus. It just sounds too much like "scrap vocals" overall and with a little work the song could be so much better. Hence my stance/hope that this is not the final product. But with Gn'R you just never know.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't believe how these versions could not be finished, they clearly have Slash on them, and he and Duff surely didn't record demos of 20 year old songs that somehow now leaked. This is from someone who had access to the vinyl that was rejected now due to bad sound quality, there must be dozens of people involved in the vinyl production process that had access to this.

The vinyl never shipped, Fernando said they wasn't satisfied with the first pressing they received

Edited by kitstuai

29 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

i know its just that riff in the chorus just sounds so not slash. i agree that slash ad duff are on the tracks its just that chorus riff is like a highschool garage band riff. 

What's wrong with the chorus riff? It's just some tasty power chords. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

i know its just that riff in the chorus just sounds so not slash. i agree that slash ad duff are on the tracks its just that chorus riff is like a highschool garage band riff. 

I disagree, it sounds a lot like VR's You Got No Right chorus.

10 minutes ago, 22frets said:

What's wrong with the chorus riff? It's just some tasty power chords. 

I know, right? And there's even a bit of weird stuff going on, not so dissimilar to Better's verses chords. 

31 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I think the chorus is scratch vocals that eventually became real vocals when they started sounding better than what Axl could record.

Yeah it starts to sound like Quick Song scratch vocals towards the end after “time to forget” when he starts going “oh ah ah oh oh ah ah ahhh ah ah ah ahh ahh ahhh ah ohhh”

4 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm not talking about people who ordered it, but people who were involved in the production of the vinyl

Impossible, you can't just bring your usb key and steal the tracks haha that's a very secured process and whoever try to do this is instantly fired. Also, why take such a risk when the songs will be released soon after

11 minutes ago, THELINESMAN said:

Yeah it starts to sound like Quick Song scratch vocals towards the end after “time to forget” when he starts going “oh ah ah oh oh ah ah ahhh ah ah ah ahh ahh ahhh ah ohhh”

Not to me. It sounds purposeful. You can clearly hear he’s not harmonizing initially. Just distorted, but definitely singing words. Then it transforms/blends into the guitar. So badass. Quick Song was clearly just Axl harmonizing as a placeholder.

• Like 3

I don't think that is slash on monsters, sounds like Robin or Richard TBH. The general was good you can hear BH? at the end.I don't believe these to be the final recordings. I think these are from older locker disc, I'm sure others have said these things but I just got to listen! I used AirPods Max and MacBook Pro. Also I hear the frogs lol. Does anyone have any hard details?

• ABSUЯD 1
  • PERHAPS 1

10 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Impossible, you can't just bring your usb key and steal the tracks haha that's a very secured process and whoever try to do this is instantly fired. Also, why take such a risk when the songs will be released soon after

So you believe Slash and Duff recorded a DEMO of a song from 2003? And that this version, as impossible as it seems, somehow leaked and got into our hands?

Clearly they reworked it and someone took home a vinyl of that and riped it. The delay was only announced on THE DAY it was supposed to ship, so they must have had thousands of copies printed and ready already, you don't have like 10 vinyls ready on the day you're supposed to release. Not a stretch to assume atleast 1000 have been made by the time they announced this isn't shipping on the 27th.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rayvela said:

I don't think they were ripped from vinyl

So this means you think Slash and Duff recorded "demos" that leaked? Somehow demos recorded in the last 4 years, got into our hands? Of 20 year old songs? 

Anyone who doesn't think Slash is on those recordings doesn't know what he's fucking talking about. For real, people who play guitar and know Slashs style inside out KNOW he's on these recordings. And this in turn means, that if you think what we have are "demos", what the hell would be the point in recording demos in songs that have been around for 20 years? Slash and Duff added their parts, and that's what's coming out. The fact what we have sounds like demos and crappy is because it was ripped from a vinyl, that was already so shit it was rejected because of bad quality. Ripping audio from a vinyl is already not great, but one that was so bad it was rejected by the artist, of course it's gonna sound shit.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Not to me. It sounds purposeful. You can clearly hear he’s not harmonizing initially. Just distorted, but definitely singing words. Then it transforms/blends into the guitar. So badass. Quick Song was clearly just Axl harmonizing as a placeholder.

I agree, Axl clearly likes to use effects and experiment/ take the vocal experience to a different level. What we perceive to be unusual bits are likely deliberate. I have revisited State of Grace for example, a song which I had assumed was very experimental with unfinished vocals etc. I suspect they are complete, as they are on The General.

As Axl said himself long ago, CD songs are not traditional old school GNR.  I can understand if they are not to the taste of some fans. I personally really enjoy them and hope that TG & Monsters is indeed one mega track not just 2 individual songs. 

1 hour ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Vocals on The General are some of my favourite Axl vocals, they sound angry af

to be honest i actually LOVE then chorus vocals. its just the guitar work i cant

20 minutes ago, Rayvela said:

I don't think that is slash on monsters, sounds like Robin or Richard TBH. The general was good you can hear BH? at the end.I don't believe these to be the final recordings. I think these are from older locker disc, I'm sure others have said these things but I just got to listen! I used AirPods Max and MacBook Pro. Also I hear the frogs lol. Does anyone have any hard details?

its funny cause if you listen to devious bastards to are def a few parts that sound pretty damn close to slash and duff so its possible these could be earlier demos. clearly they had figured out how to replicate the sound pretty well on devious 

Edited by Miden34

1 minute ago, kitstuai said:

You know vinyl rips are not like CDs, you don't extract media files, it's analog. What we call “vinyl ripping” is actually recording the playback of the vinyl. Do you hear any vinyl noises or crackles in the songs? Furthermore, original leaked files are 48KHz sample rate. Who rips vinyl at this sample rate lol 

Both songs leaked because the hoarders had them for a long time. Those songs are demos from early 2000s, and Slash isn't playing on them. And I'm not talking about the Slash feeling / guitar sound / playing at all. But there is no chance that a recording from 2018 has leaked, if they reworked the songs believe me they are very safe. 

Like I said before, those are clearly rough mixes, vocals are horrible (mixing point of view). 

There's indeed a chance those songs were reworked like you said, Slash and Duf played on them and they have leaked. But in my opinion, there is less than a 2% chance that this happened.

i agree cause like i said just a min ago, devious bastard bass, to the average ear, would so close to identical. same with some of the riffs. very slash stuff. 

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

If you think Slash isn't on these songs, as I said, you don't know what you're talking about. End of. As someone who has picked up guitar because of Slash and studied his playing all his life, you are simply not educated enough to say this isn't him. I can tell by the exact time second of Monsters when Slash stops playing and Fortus takes over, it isn't up for debate. There is no way they recorded a demo of The General, a song from 2003, that also somehow ended up leaking. Completely delusional

Like I said, I'm not talking about Slash playing / feeling. You know, I read every post in here, and everybody say something different. Slash sharing a solo with Fortus, or the whole solo is him, or one song is Buckethead the other one is Slash, or just some parts or whatever. 

Yes, you right, I'm a guitar player too and some parts reminds me Slash. But statistically speaking, there is really no chance that these versions will be the ones we have next December (and I hope I'm right, because some parts are really messed up..)

Just now, Blackstar said:

I think @Voodoochild's theory about how these leaked is the most plausible: not ripped from vinyl, but probably recorded from the soundboard of the studio Axl and Slash went to listen to the mixes back in June.

i would agree, but it just seems too traceable with how the modern day recording session goes. (tinfoil conspiracy time, same thing but they leaked it on purpose once they knew they had to delay. they knew the hardcores would be somewhat satisfied.)

• Like 2

I’ve listened to nu GnR on boots and I used to by the concert bootlegs on eBay forever ago. I don’t believe these to have slash or duff, bass sounds like Tommy from live recordings, guitar sounds like Richard’s tone and solo. I can hear a lil Robin and BH I think. As for female voice you can hear that a lil on atlas. I agree with vinyl rip doubters. I was trying to be nice earlier. However one of my homies rips vinyl and it’s hard to get a good recording. He has a whole process