The General and Monsters Lyrics

28 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

This is about as accurate as one could make of The General. Great job! Didn’t even realize he was saying “it’s all burnt down” instead of “it’s over now”. Makes total sense.

That's one that I can kind of hear either way, so I'm not sure.

17 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

‘For the hell I let you put me through’ I believe on the bridge of Monster 

I can hear it both ways if I listen for it, but going syllable by syllable, I'm not hearing the "L" and the end sounds to me like a "th". I'll embolden that one as a debatable line, though.

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Could it be "vigor" instead of "figure" in the first verse of Monsters?

"Vigor" would at least make more sense than "figure". As in, "you're losing your energy".

I'm trying to think of what phrase could make sense after "dynamic duo", while also fitting the sounds. But even the clearly audible words "dynamic duo" seem random, so it's hard to guess what the line could be about in relation to the other lines. That's how I try to approach deciphering anyway, because trying to go word by word gets complicated with singing, where artistic license will often have words split in half or mushed together to fit in. For example, maybe the end is "you're crashing" and what we're interpreting as the first syllable of "figure/vigor" is actually the last syllable of the previous word. Something like "Dynamic duo, think you're big? You're crashing".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

"Vigor" would at least make more sense than "figure". As in, "you're losing your energy".

I'm trying to think of what phrase could make sense after "dynamic duo", while also fitting the sounds. But even the clearly audible words "dynamic duo" seem random, so it's hard to guess what the line could be about in relation to the other lines. That's how I try to approach deciphering anyway, because trying to go word by word gets complicated with singing, where artistic license will often have words split in half or mushed together to fit in. For example, maybe the end is "you're crashing" and what we're interpreting as the first syllable of "figure/vigor" is actually the last syllable of the previous word. Something like "Dynamic duo, think you're big? You're crashing".

There is also something like a "cutting effect" (I don't know what the technical term is) after "dynamic duo", which may serve as a "full stop" at that point. Like, "Dynamic duo. Seen your figure/vigor crashing".

So I think "dynamic duo" may refer to the two previous lines: "A tour-de-force of an evil old passion" and "A broken heart that was out of fashion make a dynamic duo. And what follows "dynamic duo" doesn't relate directly to it.

2 hours ago, Underhardy said:

‘For the hell I let you put me through’ I believe on the bridge of Monster 

Thats what I originally thought but im pretty sure it's "hell on Earth you put me through" after listening to it a billion times lol

56 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There is also something like a "cutting effect" (I don't know what the technical term is) after "dynamic duo", which may serve as a "full stop" at that point. Like, "Dynamic duo. Seen your figure/vigor crashing".

So I think "dynamic duo" may refer to the two previous lines: "A tour-de-force of an evil old passion" and "A broken heart that was out of fashion make a dynamic duo. And what follows "dynamic duo" doesn't relate directly to it.

I hadn't even considered that, but that is something artists occasionally do. It definitely sounds like the line was composited from two different takes with a cut after the word "duo".

My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forgive*
All those unspoken feelings
That were never spared
And those who understand
And lack of self respect**
And not your sordid meaning***

* Forgive could be forget, I'm sort of leaning that way because of the rhyme
** Consider "lost their self-respect" instead
*** Could be "but not the" or "but not your"

You stole my soul with the devil's romancing
All alone in your bedroom, dancing
Thought I could feel somebody worth having
But in the end I guess you're good for the damage*

Good for the damning?

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 11:09 PM, evilfacelessturtle said:

And those who understand
And lack self respect
And not your sordid meaning

I listened a few times and I think may be

And although I understand

your lack of/you lost your self respect

Edited by Blackstar

I will say this:

some of the lyrics people thought they heard on the cell phone clip which ultimately turned out to be monsters were way off but did sound correct due to the poor quality. Particularly:

“I think it high time you should fuckin die child”

“there’s a child chained to a bed now”

were these based on people thinking the song was about child abuse?

they actually sounded correct at the time but now with the transcribed correct lyrics it pretty easy to tell it’s exactly what Axl was singing in the old cell phone clip

Didn't have a listen with headphones yet. But in the chorus of the general I hear:

My only regret is that I never took the time to forget. 

Doesn't make it more sense, since these two words rhyme? 

I'm not a native speaker. Could be wrong though... 

15 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

Didn't have a listen with headphones yet. But in the chorus of the general I hear:

My only regret is that I never took the time to forget. 

Doesn't make it more sense, since these two words rhyme? 

I'm not a native speaker. Could be wrong though... 

Not all lines have to rhyme. Likewise, "spared" doesn't rhyme with "respect", even though they are both in the same place.

I like either “forget” or “forgive” in “The General.” I do admit it sounds like “forgive” to me. I prefer “forget” and it makes sense in that it rhymes too. 

As for “Monsters,” is it possible the line is “Dynamic Duo in your (??????) crashing.” Graveyard? Bedroom?

After “dynamic duo,” the words don’t sound like “keep you” to me.

Edited by GnR Chris

5 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I like either “forget” or “forgive” in “The General.” I do admit it sounds like “forgive” to me. I prefer “forget” and it makes sense in that it rhymes too. 

As for “Monsters,” is it possible the line is “Dynamic Duo in your (??????) crashing.” Graveyard? Bedroom?

After “dynamic duo,” the words don’t sound like “keep you” to me.

it sounds like graveyard to me. Meaning the singer and the person addressed were a dynamic duo in the person addressee’s “graveyard crashing.” Would fit with the themes of monsters and Satan.

The monsters did a...candle meet.

:book:

On 10/31/2023 at 6:45 PM, WithoutYou said:

Kinda sounds like he's singing "and laugh at your despair" on the second chorus of The General instead of "lack self respect" but it's hard to say for sure🤔

Definitely.

That were never spared! And all the world just stand and laugh at your despair!

"DE"spair is barely audible however.

Edited by Axls_Moustache_Rules
  • Wow 1