Gilby Clarke to open for Slash in Chile

3 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

I do. Pawnshop guitars is one of the best solo efforts from a Gn'R member. If someone can link me to something Fortus has written that's as good, I'll listen. If you mean as far as playing on stage with Gn'R there's tons of people that could do what Fortus does. 

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna write. Hey I love Richard and his playing. He seems cool and plays a mean lead guitar too. And he's played with other big names outside of GN'R'. Gilby's played with some big names (Nancy Sinatra, MC5, Heart). Produced bands like The Bronx and LA Guns. But yeah the difference is that Gilby's cranked out a ton of solo, band and side project albums where he's the lead singer and songwriter as well as the guitarist. And whilst perhaps no Slash, Gilby is definitely a great lead player too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Pawnshop Guitars was a great album at the time.. As a Gn'R fan you should check it out.. There are some killer tracks on there and guest spots from I think Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt, Dizzy and Teddy I believe.. As well as a couple other musicians..

Yep. It's the only solo album by a Gunner to feature everyone in the band on it. And the only solo album by a Gunner to feature Axl.

It's funny out of all the solo albums Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars has the most GN'R feel and sound. Cure Me Or Kill Me is up there with Jungle and You Could Be Mine. Monkey Chow which Gilby wrote for the first Snakepit album is another that would've made a great GN'R track.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Fun fact: Gilby is the only ex GNR member ever joined by Axl (not the other way around) both on stage and in the studio.

Which is crazy considering how unceremoniously Axl fired him.

17 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Gilby wasn't an ex member when Pawnshop was released.

I believe he was kind of in limbo. Axl told him "enjoy your last show in GNR" before the last show in 1993. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Which is crazy considering how unceremoniously Axl fired him.

I believe he was kind of in limbo. Axl told him "enjoy your last show in GNR" before the last show in 1993. 

Axl hadn't decided to fire Gilby in 93. Otherwise Gilby wouldn't have rerecorded Izzy's parts for The Spaghetti Incident, Axl wouldn't have guested on Gilby's 94 album Pawnshop Guitars and Gilby wouldn't have still been there for Guns aborted 94 sessions.

The real reason Axl fired Gilby with the lame excuse he couldn't write with him is this. Gilby said taking the band in a industrial sounding direction and having three guitarists amongst other things was a mistake. Shortly after his paychecks stopped, then started then stopped again.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:56 PM, Silence said:

Slash once said that only Izzy and Dave Kushner were the only guitar players he could write with. Seemed like a dig at Gilby.

Eh, I don't think Gilby had much of a choice when things died down after the UYI tour. If I remember correctly, the whole reason he did Pawnshop Guitars was because he had a break and nothing was going on.... I think by late 94 the band (mostly Axl) had cut contact. Slash had to deliver the news, and that probably strained both relationships... Gilby got through the Snakepit era, and then probably decided to go his own way, the same way Slash did. 

Whats wild to me is that Axl, the man who fired Gilby, and Gilby himeself shared the stage post that era before Slash and Gilby did again... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Slash and Gilby shared the stage again until a Kings Of Chaos show in like 2011, or maybe even the RNRHOF Induction Ceremony in 2012....

Edited by KeyserSoze

12 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Eh, I don't think Gilby had much of a choice when things died down after the UYI tour. If I remember correctly, the whole reason he did Pawnshop Guitars was because he had a break and nothing was going on.... I think by late 94 the band (mostly Axl) had cut contact. Slash had to deliver the news, and that probably strained both relationships... Gilby got through the Snakepit era, and then probably decided to go his own way, the same way Slash did. 

Whats wild to me is that Axl, the man who fired Gilby, and Gilby himeself shared the stage post that era before Slash and Gilby did again... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Slash and Gilby shared the stage again until a Kings Of Chaos show in like 2011, or maybe even the RNRHOF Induction Ceremony in 2012....

probably cause Gilby sued Slash. I can understand why he didn't want to collaborate with him for a long time.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 9:20 PM, Gunner Gilby said:

Axl hadn't decided to fire Gilby in 93. Otherwise Gilby wouldn't have rerecorded Izzy's parts for The Spaghetti Incident, Axl wouldn't have guested on Gilby's 94 album Pawnshop Guitars and Gilby wouldn't have still been there for Guns aborted 94 sessions.

The real reason Axl fired Gilby with the lame excuse he couldn't write with him is this. Gilby said taking the band in a industrial sounding direction and having three guitarists amongst other things was a mistake. Shortly after his paychecks stopped, then started then stopped again.

Axl planned a lot of things way ahead of time. Why else would he have said that to Gilby at the last show in Argentina 1993? I think it's clear that he was wrapping up the UYI era with TSI, and that was done during the Skin N Bones tour as I recall, so Gilby was still in the band, of course he wasn't gonna fire him in the middle of a tour.

I haven't heard that Gilby disagreed with the industrial direction. Do you have a source for that? I'd be curious to read about that.

20 hours ago, Rovim said:

probably cause Gilby sued Slash. I can understand why he didn't want to collaborate with him for a long time.

What did he sue him for?

49 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Axl planned a lot of things way ahead of time. Why else would he have said that to Gilby at the last show in Argentina 1993? I think it's clear that he was wrapping up the UYI era with TSI, and that was done during the Skin N Bones tour as I recall, so Gilby was still in the band, of course he wasn't gonna fire him in the middle of a tour.

I haven't heard that Gilby disagreed with the industrial direction. Do you have a source for that? I'd be curious to read about that.

What did he sue him for?

I've got the magazine somewhere in my basement. It was either Kerrang or Metal Hammer I think. Either from late 94 or 95. I've got a lot of old magazines with GN'R interviews. If I can find it I'll post the magazine, the issue and the quotes. But I've got a fucking lot and it may take time to find.

But if you listen to Gilby's solo albums, his Col Parker album or most stuff he does you'll know that he's into the bluesy hard rock thing. 

Gilby was forced to sue the band in late 94. His paychecks stopped, started and then stopped. Then after he'd been let go they were issuing merchandise that contained his image but he wasn't getting paid. That's why on the Live Era 87-93 album Axl was pretty and didn't include any photos of Gilby's face. Also listed Gilby (and Matt) as additional musicians instead of band members. Stupid really considering Gilby n Matt play on most tracks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

What did he sue him for?

I think he sued Slash as part of a lawsuit against Gn'R for using his likeness/and making profit from his name and image on the UYI tour and TSI

Edited by Rovim

Here is everything about the circumstances under which Gilby was out of GN'R:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20101

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20103

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017p30-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20116

About Pawnshop Guitars:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20105

And about Gilby suing GN'R:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20213

I think Axl's "Enjoy your last show" to Gilby in Argentina 1993 (if Axl really said it like that) was a joke, because everything was still uncertain at that time, even though Axl had clarified from the beginning after Gilby was hired that they didn't know if Gilby would write with the band or would be only for the tour.

I also don't think Gilby knew or understood what musical direction Axl wanted to go to at the time (probably not even Axl himself had a clear idea of what he wanted to do). Gilby talked about Axl's "industrial" direction only some years later, when Axl had started forming NuGnR and had hired Moby as the producer. But there's no indication that Axl wanted to go to an industrial direction with GN'R in 1994 (he had only talked about a potential solo album with Trent Reznor). Gilby most likely relied on what happened later to fill the blanks of what he didn't understand.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Here is everything about the circumstances under which Gilby was out of GN'R:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20101

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20103

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017p30-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20116

About Pawnshop Guitars:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5017-18-november-1993-november-1994-axl-and-slash-disagrees-gilby-is-dismissed#20105

And about Gilby suing GN'R:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20213

I think Axl's "Enjoy your last show" to Gilby in Argentina 1993 (if Axl really said it like that) was a joke, because everything was still uncertain at that time, even though Axl had clarified from the beginning after Gilby was hired that they didn't know if Gilby would write with the band or would be only for the tour.

I also don't think Gilby knew or understood what musical direction Axl wanted to go to at the time (probably not even Axl himself had a clear idea of what he wanted to do). Gilby talked about Axl's "industrial" direction only some years later, when Axl had started forming NuGnR and had hired Moby as the producer. But there's no indication that Axl wanted to go to an industrial direction with GN'R in 1994 (he had only talked about a potential solo album with Trent Reznor). Gilby most likely relied on what happened later to fill the blanks of what he didn't understand.

You’re the best. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think he sued Slash as part of a lawsuit against Gn'R for using his likeness/and making profit from his name and image on the UYI tour and TSI

Suing GNR is different from suing Slash, though. The latter would be taken much more personally. I never got the impression Slash disliked Gilby at all. It's been a while since I read his book, but I recall Slash speaking highly of Gilby.

Gonna dig into Blackstar's links now.

53 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Suing GNR is different from suing Slash, though. The latter would be taken much more personally. I never got the impression Slash disliked Gilby at all. It's been a while since I read his book, but I recall Slash speaking highly of Gilby.

Gonna dig into Blackstar's links now.

Exactly. Otherwise Slash wouldn't have asked Gilby to be in Slash's Snakepit.

Gilby didn't want to sue the band but he was owed money and no one was returning his calls. Like he said it was just business.

• Like 1

"Gilby and I have always been the closest of friends. I will never really understand why that happened, and that was the first thing that instigated a separation between Axl and me. And that's why there's still a hole in the band to this day."

Wow, that quote speaks volumes.

I think the writer of those posts is misinterpreting what Slash said about agreeing with Axl on firing Gilby.

"What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we were all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night at rehearsal."

This doesn't suggest he agreed with firing Gilby, Slash is saying he voiced his complaints about Gilby's behavior at one rehearsal. That's it. Axl misinterpreting that doesn't mean it's what Slash meant.

These quotes imply that it was entirely Axl's decision and that Slash was against it, and downplay the fact that Slash had "sort of went along with it" as he admitted above. It serves to put the responsibility for Gilby's departure entirely on Axl's shoulders, while the quotes in Metal Edge and The Gazzette indicate that Axl had been under the impression that Slash agreed with the decision (and even initiated it) and that Duff also agreed with the firing. As such, what went down is much more complex than the simple "Axl fired Gilby" as Slash would be pushing in 1995 when he was on increasingly bad terms with Axl. And since Axl had stopped doing press, Slash's "Axl fired Gilby" became gospel in the media.

This is just grasping at straws. So it was 99.9% Axl's fault and 0.1% Slash's because he accidentally said something Axl misinterpreted? That's not "much more complex" than the "gospel in the media" Slash was "pushing". Give me a break. Slash says he didn't want Gilby fired a million times and this person hyper focuses on a misunderstanding.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:37 AM, Gunner Gilby said:

https://rockcelebrities.net/gilby-clarke-recalls-how-he-chose-to-be-with-his-daughter-instead-of-joining-guns-n-roses-show/

Makes you love and respect Gilby all the more. He loves his daughter and chose to put her first. Gilby's got his priorities in the right order.

it's weird, specially in a 7 years tour...

4 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

"Gilby and I have always been the closest of friends. I will never really understand why that happened, and that was the first thing that instigated a separation between Axl and me. And that's why there's still a hole in the band to this day."

I think the writer of those posts is misinterpreting what Slash said about agreeing with Axl on firing Gilby.

"What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we were all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night at rehearsal."

This doesn't suggest he agreed with firing Gilby, Slash is saying he voiced his complaints about Gilby's behavior at one rehearsal. That's it. Axl misinterpreting that doesn't mean it's what Slash meant.

These quotes imply that it was entirely Axl's decision and that Slash was against it, and downplay the fact that Slash had "sort of went along with it" as he admitted above. It serves to put the responsibility for Gilby's departure entirely on Axl's shoulders, while the quotes in Metal Edge and The Gazzette indicate that Axl had been under the impression that Slash agreed with the decision (and even initiated it) and that Duff also agreed with the firing. As such, what went down is much more complex than the simple "Axl fired Gilby" as Slash would be pushing in 1995 when he was on increasingly bad terms with Axl. And since Axl had stopped doing press, Slash's "Axl fired Gilby" became gospel in the media.

This is just grasping at straws. So it was 99.9% Axl's fault and 0.1% Slash's because he accidentally said something Axl misinterpreted? That's not "much more complex" than the "gospel in the media" Slash was "pushing". Give me a break. Slash says he didn't want Gilby fired a million times and this person hyper focuses on a misunderstanding.

But I think @SoulMonster (who wrote it) says exactly that: that Axl interpreted Slash's complaints about Gilby on that particular day as agreement and that Slash was aware that Axl had interpreted it that way. Nowhere is it suggested that Slash actually agreed about firing Gilby.

In my opinion it was more complex than just "Axl fired Gilby", not because Slash "agreed" on it, but because it's evident from all the quotes that it wasn't something that happened instantly, but there was a lot of back and forth about it, there were "words", Duff was involved, too, etc. And although the main cause was that Axl didn't want to write with Gilby, Axl initially didn't intend to kick Gilby out of the band completely and suggested keeping him "on the side" or as a touring member.

I think Slash's book (which hasn't been included in these GN'R history sections yet) is where what happened with Gilby has been misrepresented the most: Slash said there that Axl "fired Gilby without consulting anyone", which is not true, as it's apparent that there was discussion.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ugly_Kid_Jose said:

it's weird, specially in a 7 years tour...

You mean it's weird that they haven't asked Gilby again? Yeah it is. But they asked Matt to appear to and he chose not to and they didn't ask him again. Tho Matt claimed Fernando said they'd cover his flights and accommodation but wouldn't pay him to perform. So perhaps understandably he said no.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

You mean it's weird that they haven't asked Gilby again? Yeah it is. But they asked Matt to appear to and he chose not to and they didn't ask him again. Tho Matt claimed Fernando said they'd cover his flights and accommodation but wouldn't pay him to perform. So perhaps understandably he said no.

I don't think it's weird at all.

They have no need to bring back a hired gun that contributed nothing to the band's recording history aside from a few cover parts. He was never a big deal, people are just blinded by nostalgia. They made him a one-time offer for the sake of that nostalgia, but that ship's long since sailed – it's not like they're still making a comeback.

He's a great musician, of course, but in the context of Guns N' Roses he was a hired hand brought in to fill a vacancy, that really is about it.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I think Slash's book (which hasn't been included in these GN'R history sections yet) is where what happened with Gilby has been misrepresented the most: Slash said there that Axl "fired Gilby without consulting anyone", which is not true, as it's apparent that there was discussion.

2 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

This is why I take what Slash says about a lot of situations with a grain of salt. He never keeps the facts straight, he says what sounds good at the time only to turn around and say the opposite when it becomes convenient, he leaves unflattering details about himself out while emphasizing everyone else's... I love Slash, but he's not reliable in the slightest.

As someone else said, he has high praise for Gilby one minute and acts like he left a big whole when he was fired, and then turns around and says Izzy and Kushner was the only rhythm guitarist he could work with. And before Slash said that about Izzy, he was trashing him in interviews and saying he hated playing guitar with him. And as Blackstar pointed out, lied about Axl not consulting anyone about Gilby being fired. Whether Slash misrepresenting things intentional or not, I feel like I can't trust much of what he says.

Edited by meadsoap