Gilby Clarke to open for Slash in Chile

1 hour ago, meadsoap said:

This is why I take what Slash says about a lot of situations with a grain of salt. He never keeps the facts straight, he says what sounds good at the time only to turn around and say the opposite when it becomes convenient, he leaves unflattering details about himself out while emphasizing everyone else's... I love Slash, but he's not reliable in the slightest.

As someone else said, he has high praise for Gilby one minute and acts like he left a big whole when he was fired, and then turns around and says Izzy and Kushner was the only rhythm guitarist he could work with. And before Slash said that about Izzy, he was trashing him in interviews and saying he hated playing guitar with him. And as Blackstar pointed out, lied about Axl not consulting anyone about Gilby being fired. Whether Slash misrepresenting things intentional or not, I feel like I can't trust much of what he says.

I think it's mainly Slash's book that is problematic regarding the way he recalls some events. I don't think he was deliberately dishonest in it (or that he is in general), but I kind of understand why Axl took such issue with that book - and it seems it was one of the first things he addressed when he and Slash talked in person for the first time after almost 20 years.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But I think @SoulMonster (who wrote it) says exactly that: that Axl interpreted Slash's complaints about Gilby on that particular day as agreement and that Slash was aware that Axl had interpreted it that way. Nowhere is it suggested that Slash actually agreed about firing Gilby.

In my opinion it was more complex than just "Axl fired Gilby", not because Slash "agreed" on it, but because it's evident from all the quotes that it wasn't something that happened instantly, but there was a lot of back and forth about it, there were "words", Duff was involved, too, etc. And although the main cause was that Axl didn't want to write with Gilby, Axl initially didn't intend to kick Gilby out of the band completely and suggested keeping him "on the side" or as a touring member.

I think Slash's book (which hasn't been included in these GN'R history sections yet) is where what happened with Gilby has been misrepresented the most: Slash said there that Axl "fired Gilby without consulting anyone", which is not true, as it's apparent that there was discussion.

Axl did fire Gilby, though. That is true. And the discussion meant nothing because Axl's mind was made up. "Discussion" implies there was some sort of back and forth. In reality, it was completely one sided. Axl ignored their protestation and declared what was to be, and Slash and Duff were simply left to break the bad news. That's not a discussion, that's a mandate. Consulting would require taking others' perspectives into consideration. There is no evidence of that happening.

22 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Axl did fire Gilby, though. That is true. And the discussion meant nothing because Axl's mind was made up. "Discussion" implies there was some sort of back and forth. In reality, it was completely one sided. Axl ignored their protestation and declared what was to be, and Slash and Duff were simply left to break the bad news. That's not a discussion, that's a mandate. Consulting would require taking others' perspectives into consideration. There is no evidence of that happening.

But Duff seemed to side with Axl since, according to Slash, Gilby had "words" with Duff, too.

Slash: The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us. And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it.

Slash:  Axl didn’t want to write with him and I had to go and tell Gilby myself that this was going on, so he didn’t hear it, you know, in the field or something or turned into some sort of weird rumor. So I went and told him and then – well, I think the thing that really etched in stone Gilby’s dismissal from Guns was the fact that he had words with Duff and he had words with Axl, and that sort of cemented the fact that he wasn’t in the band. But Axl still thinks, like he does with everybody, like, “Well, maybe we’ll have three guitar players, or maybe we’ll do this or maybe we’ll do that,” or “Gilby can come out live,” but whatever. And I come from a different point of view altogether: that you get the guy that fits naturally, you write together, he plays on the record and he does the tour.

And from the second quote it's evident that, although Axl was adamant about not wanting to write with Gilby, he was discussing and suggesting ways to keep Gilby in the band even though not as a writer.
Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

But Duff seemed to take Axl's side on that, since, according to Slash, Gilby had "words" with Duff, too.

Slash: The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us. And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it.

Slash:  Axl didn’t want to write with him and I had to go and tell Gilby myself that this was going on, so he didn’t hear it, you know, in the field or something or turned into some sort of weird rumor. So I went and told him and then – well, I think the thing that really etched in stone Gilby’s dismissal from Guns was the fact that he had words with Duff and he had words with Axl, and that sort of cemented the fact that he wasn’t in the band. But Axl still thinks, like he does with everybody, like, “Well, maybe we’ll have three guitar players, or maybe we’ll do this or maybe we’ll do that,” or “Gilby can come out live,” but whatever. And I come from a different point of view altogether: that you get the guy that fits naturally, you write together, he plays on the record and he does the tour.

And from the second quote it's evident that, although Axl was adamant about not wanting to write with Gilby, he was discussing and suggesting ways to keep Gilby in the band even though not as a writer.

Or Axl was just lobbying for Paul to be his writing partner and Gilby can tour the album. 

7 hours ago, Silence said:

Or Axl was just lobbying for Paul to be his writing partner and Gilby can tour the album. 

Yes, I think that was what was going on.

My understanding is that what happened with Gilby was directly related to the disagreement about the songs Slash had written that ended up on It's Five O' Clock Somewhere.

Axl didn't like what Slash, Gilby and Matt had come up with. There was a fight there, with Gilby taking Slash's side while Duff agreed with Axl. Axl wanted to bring in someone else (Paul) that he thought  would help write better songs. Slash disagreed because he liked Gilby, and Axl suggested that they could have both Paul and Gilby, one as a writer and one as a touring member (Slash didn't like that idea either.) Then Slash told Gilby that Axl didn't want to write with him. Gilby was pissed off, he talked to Axl and it didn't go well, as he had "words" with him over the musical direction (which I guess mostly stemmed from the Snakepit songs and there Axl probably said that he wanted to do something more "modern" than that) and over Axl wanting to bring in an additional guitar player, and then he had words with Duff, too (I suppose over the Snakepit songs again). Then Gilby did an interview with Kerrang and said some things about Axl, and that was probably the end - or maybe the interview was conducted after the initial disagreement on the Snakepit songs. A little later, in another interview, Gilby tried to retract from what he had told Kerrang, but it was too late.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Suing GNR is different from suing Slash, though. The latter would be taken much more personally. I never got the impression Slash disliked Gilby at all. It's been a while since I read his book, but I recall Slash speaking highly of Gilby.

Gonna dig into Blackstar's links now.

I think Slash took it personally enough to not want to work with Gilby for a long time.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

You mean it's weird that they haven't asked Gilby again? Yeah it is. But they asked Matt to appear to and he chose not to and they didn't ask him again. Tho Matt claimed Fernando said they'd cover his flights and accommodation but wouldn't pay him to perform. So perhaps understandably he said no.

gilby clarke is not matt sorum, we all know gilby because gnr, matt sorum was in the cult before gnt, later in neurotic outsiders, again in the cult, hollywood vampires and with billy gibbons. Matt sorum plays in a different level comparing with gilby. If gilby had another plan for that day, keep the.invitation for one day that he can do it. Axl should remember that on 1999 gilby let axl join to her band when axl was missing.

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But Duff seemed to side with Axl since, according to Slash, Gilby had "words" with Duff, too.

Yeah, I do wonder what "words with Duff" means. Maybe they got in a bit of an argument? I know Duff was more open to Axl's diverse tastes than Slash was. I could imagine Duff said something like "Dude, you're not in a position to be giving your opinion on the direction of the band, and we don't need any more division over this subject than there already is".

I guess it's a matter of debate whether being on retainer for tours or little things here and there counts as being in the band. But seeing as Axl listed Gilby and Matt as "additional musicians" on Live Era, I don't think he thinks of it that way.

15 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think Slash took it personally enough to not want to work with Gilby for a long time.

He only said in one interview right after the lawsuit that he was "a little bit pissed at him". Just because he didn't work with him afterward doesn't mean that's because he was still angry. He didn't work with Eric Dover ever again, but there's nothing to indicate they disliked each other at all.

I like Gilby, he seems like a cool dude and I enjoy his music, I hope the people who go to the show have a good time. But after reading all the history about his separation from the band, is there any member who did not get sucked into drama of some sort or another :lol: gnr is a drama queen making machine 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ugly_Kid_Jose said:

gilby clarke is not matt sorum, we all know gilby because gnr, matt sorum was in the cult before gnt, later in neurotic outsiders, again in the cult, hollywood vampires and with billy gibbons. Matt sorum plays in a different level comparing with gilby. If gilby had another plan for that day, keep the.invitation for one day that he can do it. Axl should remember that on 1999 gilby let axl join to her band when axl was missing.

Gilby's not on the same level as Matt 🤣🤣🤣🤣. No sorry you're right. He's a few levels up. Gilby had already been on record labels and released albums and EPs with two bands before joining GN'R. Since leaving GN'R Gilby's played with, recorded or produced the likes of Nancy Sinatra, MC5, Heart, LA Guns, The Bronx and others. I think he's done ok. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Yeah, I do wonder what "words with Duff" means. Maybe they got in a bit of an argument? I know Duff was more open to Axl's diverse tastes than Slash was. I could imagine Duff said something like "Dude, you're not in a position to be giving your opinion on the direction of the band, and we don't need any more division over this subject than there already is".

I guess it's a matter of debate whether being on retainer for tours or little things here and there counts as being in the band. But seeing as Axl listed Gilby and Matt as "additional musicians" on Live Era, I don't think he thinks of it that way.

Matt got fired or left when he put Paul Huge/Tobias in his place when Paul badmouthed Slash's Snakepit. Gilby got let go but they continued to use his image without paying him for that and other things. They didn't answer his calls so he was forced to sue to get paid. That's why Axl childishly didn't use any photos of Gilby's face in the Live Era 87-93 booklet and listed him and Matt as additional musicians. Stupid when all the fans know that they play on most of the album and were indeed band members.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I think Axl has his own, unconventional perception of what a "band" is, which he developed after the original AFD band started disintegrating. He sees more like a project in which only the core members or the owners of the "household" need to be steady and as far as the rest it can be a revolving door of members and collaborators. So there can be a studio guitarist and a touring guitarist that are both "in the band". For example, for a while he saw both Brain and Frank as being in the band, even though they'd already been touring with Frank for years. And even now, although Frank is officially the drummer of the band, the studio tracks that are being released have Brain on drums.

"Additional musicians" on Live Era was just out of spite, mostly towards Matt.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

He only said in one interview right after the lawsuit that he was "a little bit pissed at him". Just because he didn't work with him afterward doesn't mean that's because he was still angry. He didn't work with Eric Dover ever again, but there's nothing to indicate they disliked each other at all.

I think Slash was pissed off at Gilby for a few years, but after that it has been water under the bridge. He doesn't seem to be the type that holds grudges in the way Axl does (shutting people out completely), so he can jam randomly with everybody. However, as he says here, he takes notes:

Slash: [Talking about almost going at the Cat Club on the same night Axl jammed with Gilby in 2000] "Then somethin’ strange happened. About a month before doing AC/DC, I didn’t go down there and the next day I got a call from Johnny our bass player and he said ‘Guess who got up at the Cat last night?’ I said, who? And he goes, ‘Axl’. I asked how was it and he goes, ‘You know what, I’ve played with him more than you have in the last five years!’” [...] I don’t know [what would have happened if I had been there]. When I got up last Thursday, Gilby was there and I got up and played with him and Tracii Guns, Matt Sorum, Johnny, and Jim [Phantom] from the Stray Cats. I mean, Gilby sued us, it wasn’t as deep as what went down with Axl, but it was, like, a noted thing. But I still got up... "

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5252-2000-12-25-classic-rock-mr-brownstone-slash

Btw, here's an interview with Gilby on what he and Axl talked about that night in 2000:

Gilby: That was really strange, because that night was one of those rare nights that there were no people at all in the club. And someone from the band came and said, “Gilby, it’s Axl over there at the bar.” “No, it isn’t. What would he be doing in the Cat Club?” I hadn’t seen the guy in five-six years. So I walked towards the bar and he pulled my sleeve. We started talking, and the funny thing is that we began the discussion right from the point we had left it five-six years ago. What people should know is that Axl and I never had any differences. We always got along well; we have a lot in common. We've had a good relationship. We just have a big disagreement about the band. I think Guns N’ Roses was one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. I think that Izzy and Steven are awesome. They made one of the most classic rock albums. But then things changed. When Izzy left, I thought that I fit in the band. I played my parts very well, the chemistry was good. I just didn’t agree with where he wanted to go musically. Plain and simple.
So that night at the Cat Club we talked about many things, but at one point I told him, “I gotta go play.” And while I was playing, I saw him standing in front and having a good time, and I said, “Would you like to come up?” So he came up and we played a couple of songs. I’d have let him play all night, if he wanted to. It was great. Very few people were there and it was one of the best nights at the Cat Club. Then we talked until late. He told me a lot of stuff about the new album, what was going on with that. He talked about Slash a lot and the Snakepit album that we did. He tried to make it look like Slash and I were against him. And I said, “It wasn't like that. You have the wrong idea about that. I’m just speaking for myself. I didn’t talk to Slash about how I felt; I only told you. We wanted to make a Guns record, not a Snakepit record. But we weren't able to, so we did the Snakepit album.”

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3659-2005-03-06-gunsnroses-gr-interview-with-gilby

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Slash was pissed off at Gilby for a few years, but after that it has been water under the bridge. He doesn't seem to be the type that holds grudges in the way Axl does (shutting people out completely), so he can jam randomly with everybody. However, as he says here, he takes notes:

Slash: [Talking about almost going at the Cat Club on the same night Axl jammed with Gilby in 2000] "Then somethin’ strange happened. About a month before doing AC/DC, I didn’t go down there and the next day I got a call from Johnny our bass player and he said ‘Guess who got up at the Cat last night?’ I said, who? And he goes, ‘Axl’. I asked how was it and he goes, ‘You know what, I’ve played with him more than you have in the last five years!’” [...] I don’t know [what would have happened if I had been there]. When I got up last Thursday, Gilby was there and I got up and played with him and Tracii Guns, Matt Sorum, Johnny, and Jim [Phantom] from the Stray Cats. I mean, Gilby sued us, it wasn’t as deep as what went down with Axl, but it was, like, a noted thing. But I still got up... "

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5252-2000-12-25-classic-rock-mr-brownstone-slash

Btw, here's an interview with Gilby on what he and Axl talked about that night in 2000:

Gilby: That was really strange, because that night was one of those rare nights that there were no people at all in the club. And someone from the band came and said, “Gilby, it’s Axl over there at the bar.” “No, it isn’t. What would he be doing in the Cat Club?” I hadn’t seen the guy in five-six years. So I walked towards the bar and he pulled my sleeve. We started talking, and the funny thing is that we began the discussion right from the point we had left it five-six years ago. What people should know is that Axl and I never had any differences. We always got along well; we have a lot in common. We've had a good relationship. We just have a big disagreement about the band. I think Guns N’ Roses was one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. I think that Izzy and Steven are awesome. They made one of the most classic rock albums. But then things changed. When Izzy left, I thought that I fit in the band. I played my parts very well, the chemistry was good. I just didn’t agree with where he wanted to go musically. Plain and simple.
So that night at the Cat Club we talked about many things, but at one point I told him, “I gotta go play.” And while I was playing, I saw him standing in front and having a good time, and I said, “Would you like to come up?” So he came up and we played a couple of songs. I’d have let him play all night, if he wanted to. It was great. Very few people were there and it was one of the best nights at the Cat Club. Then we talked until late. He told me a lot of stuff about the new album, what was going on with that. He talked about Slash a lot and the Snakepit album that we did. He tried to make it look like Slash and I were against him. And I said, “It wasn't like that. You have the wrong idea about that. I’m just speaking for myself. I didn’t talk to Slash about how I felt; I only told you. We wanted to make a Guns record, not a Snakepit record. But we weren't able to, so we did the Snakepit album.”

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3659-2005-03-06-gunsnroses-gr-interview-with-gilby

Gilby's a classy guy. He's never badmouthed anyone in GN'R or burnt bridges.

• Like 3

It's crazy going back through the statements as it all fell apart. You can kind of see where everyone is coming from, and they just weren't communicating with each other or willing to compromise on their differences.

Even if they pumped out that straight ahead rock album Axl mentioned in 1995/1996 or whatever, I don't that would have kept Slash satisfied going forward through the changes of the CD era indefinitely. There really was no alternate universe where it could have worked out, it seems.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

7 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I don't think Slash didn't or doesn't like Gilby or that Slsah holds grudges, but I also don't think it's black and white. My guess is that the lawsuit did influence the working relationship between Slash and Gilby after old Guns was done. He didn't include Gilby in any of his projects as far as I know until a lot of time has passed. 

I also think that there's a difference between playing live with Gilby here and there compared to forming another band with him or a project and to be clear, I'm not 100% sure that the reason for not collaborating with Gilby was the lawsuit, but I believe it is, cause other than that, there didn't seem to be any issues between them.

for example, when Slash, Duff, and Matt formed VR, Slash didn't call Gilby. Maybe cause they wanted a different style from a rhythm player, but maybe it was cause Slash still remmebered the lawsuit so he went with someone else, first Izzy and then Dave Kushner.

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

@Blackstar when was the first time since Snakepit that Slash and Gilby shared the stage? One of the Kings of Chaos shows?

I believe that jam at the Cat Club in 2000 was the first time (if that counts). After that it was a Velvet Revolver show in 2005. For a full show it was Kings Of Chaos, yeah.

• Like 1

Gilby's opinion on Velvet Revolver after he jammed with them on stage in 2005 is also interesting:

HOST: What do you think of Velvet Revolver?

GILBY: I think.... (pauses) well I mean look, they are what they are, they are straight forward hard rock. What you see is what you get. They are definitely a great band.

HOST: You seemed kind of conflicting in that answer (laughs)

GILBY: Well it's just...(laughing) ah man, well I get the feeling they aren't really into it.. like Slash and Duff, mostly Slash. I mean Slash is playing, but he's not really PLAYING. Listen to the record dude, is that really Slash? I just kind of feel at times his heart isn't really into what that band is doing, like he's going through the motions. Man I'm gonna get myself into trouble (Laughing)

HOST: Do you think he wants to re-unite with Axl?

GILBY: Shit... (laughing). Look, I'm sure if they could both sit down and talk and smooth things over it would happen, but the chances of that happening are slim and none, and slim just left the building. But yeah, I mean.. in the back of their minds they both want to get the thing back together. See Axl and Slash hate each other, at the same time I think they know they... complete each other...  Wow that sounded lame, but yeah.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5345-2005-06-dd-kkrw-texas-interview-with-gilby-excerpt

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Gilby's opinion on Velvet Revolver after he jammed with them on stage in 2005 is also interesting:

GILBY: I think.... (pauses) well I mean look, they are what they are, they are straight forward hard rock. What you see is what you get. They are definitely a great band.

GILBY: Well it's just...(laughing) ah man, well I get the feeling they aren't really into it.. like Slash and Duff, mostly Slash. I mean Slash is playing, but he's not really PLAYING. Listen to the record dude, is that really Slash? I just kind of feel at times his heart isn't really into what that band is doing, like he's going through the motions. Man I'm gonna get myself into trouble (Laughing)

GILBY: Shit... (laughing). Look, I'm sure if they could both sit down and talk and smooth things over it would happen, but the chances of that happening are slim and none, and slim just left the building. But yeah, I mean.. in the back of their minds they both want to get the thing back together. See Axl and Slash hate each other, at the same time I think they know they... complete each other...  Wow that sounded lame, but yeah.

I remember Matt and Duff were filmed for the rise of VR doc or whatever, and I think that it was Matt that said that Slash wanted to just play solos and leads over the entire Contraband record and they had to kinda restrain him from doing that.

I think Contraband was Slash's most commercial attempt at least up to that point. The record is easily digestible in your face hard rock and it feels like some compromises were made so Scott could have a space to do his thing. Usually Slash was more the center of it with everything supporting his guitar playing and there was more of it.

not sure if I agree with Gilby that Slash wasn't into it, but I do feel like the goal was to make a hit record more than ever. Even the name of the band and the record suggested it was Slash, Duff, and Matt's answer to Axl's new Gn'R.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

So after the 2005 VR show they didn't play together again until Kings of Chaos?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't remember reading about them playing together again before KoC.

Edit: I see Gilby joined Slash on stage at Sturgis 2012 - and of course there was the RRHOF before that.

Edited by Blackstar

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I feel like he's saying it's not bluesy or melodic enough for Slash.

• Like 1

Judging from the music in IFOS and PG, Slash and Gilby had great writing chemistry together.  It is too bad things panned out the way they did.  I still think the band would sound better today with Gilby over Fortus.  Even if Fortus is the more technical player.  

• Like 2