The General Evader vs The General GnR

General Evader vs General GnR  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which version of the General do you prefer? We only had evaders to go on for so long, and I think we all thought he was right that the orchestra would be an intro (probably just conflated due it being the show openers previously) and we obviously all thought the phone leak was the general when it was in fact Soul Monster (monsters)

So if you could only choose one what would it be?

2 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

I don't believe he used ai on it

The chorus part has to be, how else could he do it? 
it doesn’t sound like pieces together like the verse is, it sound like a whole piece.

like he wrote the lyrics, the melody and told ai to sing it with Axl’s voice.

1 minute ago, Lelex95 said:

it doesn’t sound like pieces together like the verse is, it sound like a whole piece.

He stitched together parts from accapella's. pretty sure his version was floating around before AI. He has used Lalai to create stems in the past for sure but i think that was later on. In terms of telling an AI what to sing that isn't how he works, or at least it didn't used to be. Maybe he can drop in and comment on it.

• Like 1

Just now, Rindmelon said:

He stitched together parts from accapella's. pretty sure his version was floating around before AI. He has used Lalai to create stems in the past for sure but i think that was later on. In terms of telling an AI what to sing that isn't how he works, or at least it didn't used to be. Maybe he can drop in and comment on it.

Yeah, I was guessing from ignorance, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if I was completely wrong. 
but evaders is on here and he’s real nice, I asked him the songs and he was super cool so I’m pretty sure he will tell us if we ask him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare evader's track to Monsters? 

We always assumed what we heard was the general not soul monster on the phone leak. for several years evaders mix has been the general to many. So much so that on facebook / IG people have been commenting saying the prefer the original demo and dont like how it was reworked, ie they thought evaders mix was the original demo (understandably, if you heard it you'd assume it was real unless you were mygnr nerd) and that it was a better version of the song. 

Also, Monsters as a fully fledged track seems like a top tier CD era tune. I prefer Evaders general to GnRs. I like GnRs general, i know that wont be popular consensus, but the guitar drops and tension in that version is better. 

Edited by JimiRose

Sorry, but how is this even a serious question? Lol. Evader did a commendable job in recreating what we can hear in a shitty 2 minute phone recording of Monsters, but at the end of the day, anything official will always outweigh fan creations based on guesswork.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Lelex95 said:

He physically spliced together Axl making various sounds to create the words.  It really is Axl's voice.  He did the same thing when he reconstructed Silkworms out of the shitty live performance.  He used high quality audio of Axl speaking to splice different sounds together and create studio quality vocals.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Amish said:

He physically spliced together Axl making various sounds to create the words.  It really is Axl's voice.  He did the same thing when he reconstructed Silkworms out of the shitty live performance.  He used high quality audio of Axl speaking to splice different sounds together and create studio quality vocals.  

That’s actually so much cooler that what I though the process was 🤯

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

One is a real thing that exists, the other isn't.

Sorry but it's a pointless discussion

Evaders version doesnt exist? Wow, that's strange im listening to it right now. Someone call the doctor I HAVE LOST MY MIND IT DOESNT EXIST. 

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Sorry, but how is this even a serious question? Lol. Evader did a commendable job in recreating what we can hear in a shitty 2 minute phone recording of Monsters, but at the end of the day, anything official will always outweigh fan creations based on guesswork.

Seeing as most people here and on social and in gnr fandom think the general sucks more ass than elton john, i'd say you aren't correct. When evader did his version, everyone said 'wow this sounds so cool, evader you are incredible, i can't wait to hear gnrs version' then gnr release it the reaction is mostly negative and me at best, now you;re saying it doesn't count as a song? You really aren't going to like the future of music... 

Yes it is fanmade. but it is real. It exists. and it was highly prasied. but just because it's fan made it can;t be better than axl using a pro tools loop...? sounds a bit hypocritical and not very subjective. Don't believe the question was anything to do with which one was made by a real band (if you can call nugnr that) it was which sounds better as a song. and on social media, most people are saying evaders... don;t shoot the messenger.

9 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Evaders version doesnt exist? Wow, that's strange im listening to it right now. Someone call the doctor I HAVE LOST MY MIND IT DOESNT EXIST. 

It's not a 'version' though. It's not The General, it's nothing like The General. It's not a 'version' of the same song, they're very different things. There is no 'Evader's version'. There's The General, and Evader's thing that shares the same title.

Of the two choices, one is The General, the other is some fan-made nonsense.

Fair play to them for creating it, but why are we comparing a legitimate release to some unreleated thing created out of thin air and hearsay?

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 1

Exactly. It's like all this "did TG live up to the hype" nonsense. It couldn't have, because the hype was, for a large part, connected with the recording/mix, which turned out to be a completely different song. So now it's like did the new 2022 Ghost album live up to the hype surrounding the 2019 Tool album?